Oppo UDP 203 vs 205

C

CSAM5150

Audiophyte
When listening to concert DVDs, I always pipe the audio through my audio amp instead of my SS system. It just sounds so much better. Since the 203 and 205 models are quite similar, I am hesitant to spend over double the price for the 205. Does anyone have any experience with these players and can I plug the audio output into my Amp?
Thanks for any insite.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
When listening to concert DVDs, I always pipe the audio through my audio amp instead of my SS system. It just sounds so much better. Since the 203 and 205 models are quite similar, I am hesitant to spend over double the price for the 205. Does anyone have any experience with these players and can I plug the audio output into my Amp?
Thanks for any insite.
Have a look at the following review:

http://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-and-dvd-player-reviews/oppo-udp-203-udp-205

I doubt that you would really find an advantage in getting the more expensive UDP-205. The 203 is really amazing. I don't own one, but I viewed several Blu-rays on one of my friends'.

Both of the players feature stereo analog outputs as well as analog 7.1 ch outs. The UDP-205 has a more precise DAC, but you wouldn't be able to hear a difference. They both have an outstanding 4K video performance.

Last edited:
C

CSAM5150

Audiophyte
Have a look at the following review:

http://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-and-dvd-player-reviews/oppo-udp-203-udp-205

I doubt that you would really find an advantage in getting the more expensive UDP-205. The 203 is really amazing. I don't own one, but I viewed several Blu-rays on one of my friends'.

Both of the players feature stereo analog outputs as well as analog 7.1 ch outs. The UDP-205 has a more precise DAC, but you wouldn't be able to hear a difference. They both have an outstanding 4K video performance.

Thanks for the reply. I did see that review and both the units look excellent.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the reply. I did see that review and both the units look excellent.

If you are plugging your current disc player directly to an amp, bypassing the processor, you would directly benefit from the 205. It has upgraded, dedicated, DAC's for Left, Right, and Surround channels with the L+R having an XLR output that can be connected directly to an amp.

I still use a BDP93 and can speak for Oppo build quality. If you want the ultimate, that 205 is it!

Oppo doesn't typically do sales, but their history suggests 2018 will see some Darbee equipped models, usually for an extra $100. I've seen the BDP 103D and have to say the colors were pretty spectacular, but I recall not liking the presets and still calibrating the picture myself, FWIW.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I have the 205 and love it, I feel for what it does it's a bargain.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for any insite.
I don't have an apples to apples comparison perspective but I have heard the same content on both players. The 205 brings out the details in dedicated stereo...granted it's minor and it largely depends on the speakers but you can hear the difference.

Probably the biggest reason to own the 205 over the 203 for me...the asynchronous USB DAC....I've got a large digital library on my laptop...connecting to the 205 via this USB essentially turns my laptop into a high end storage source with 4000+ songs on tap.

That said...for you, the 203 seems like a no brainer.

S

sterling shoote

I don't have an apples to apples comparison perspective but I have heard the same content on both players. The 205 brings out the details in dedicated stereo...granted it's minor and it largely depends on the speakers but you can hear the difference.

Probably the biggest reason to own the 205 over the 203 for me...the asynchronous USB DAC....I've got a large digital library on my laptop...connecting to the 205 via this USB essentially turns my laptop into a high end storage source with 4000+ songs on tap.

That said...for you, the 203 seems like a no brainer.
Do you have any multi-channel audio on your laptop? Will the usb to 205 deliver such multi-channel?

2channel lover

Do you have any multi-channel audio on your laptop? Will the usb to 205 deliver such multi-channel?
A direct answer to your good question...no, I have not ripped any of the mc sacd discs yet. I bought a 4T drive the other day to connect to the laptop to get it ready for a new role as a music server. With all the holiday activities, I haven't connected it yet so I've refrained from ripping or downloading any hi res files.

Thinking out loud...I know you can stream DSD512 via the asynch USB to the 205...and the audio processing part you control to some degree via the 205-pre/pro handshake. Again, spitballing here, but I'm going to say yes.

I should have the laptop set up to handle large files by the weekend, so I should be to answer that from experience next week.

S

sterling shoote

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A direct answer to your good question...no, I have not ripped any of the mc sacd discs yet. I bought a 4T drive the other day to connect to the laptop to get it ready for a new role as a music server. With all the holiday activities, I haven't connected it yet so I've refrained from ripping or downloading any hi res files.

Thinking out loud...I know you can stream DSD512 via the asynch USB to the 205...and the audio processing part you control to some degree via the 205-pre/pro handshake. Again, spitballing here, but I'm going to say yes.

I should have the laptop set up to handle large files by the weekend, so I should be to answer that from experience next week.
I'll be standing by. I am wanting to get the 205 just for its multi-channel SACD function; but, I have a hard time parting with my money for such things. Knowing I could download multi-channel files from some seller and then get those files to the 205 for multi-channel playback would be the icing on the cake for me.

2channel lover

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'll be standing by. I am wanting to get the 205 just for its multi-channel SACD function; but, I have a hard time parting with my money for such things. Knowing I could download multi-channel files from some seller and then get those files to the 205 for multi-channel playback would be the icing on the cake for me.
Okay...I have a part time business that I run from home via said laptop. I don't want to move it to the AV area and get it setup with the new storage until I replace the laptop as a computer so that is going to add another day or so to the transition.

In the mean time you have started me down that road. I did some research last night. My initial thought of connecting the laptop to the 205 via the Asynch USB and streaming multi channel audio...we can scrap that option.

I discovered the Asynchronous USB signal terminates at the analog dedicated stereo DAC...if true, it's great for SQ, not great for multi-channel.

But...I think there is a way still. The laptop can also connect via HDMI so I can use the HDMI audio only connection to the 205. That should cure the multi channel audio processing issue. I'll still report back and let you know for sure when hooked up.

Not to steer you away from the 205, but if your primary objective is to download MC audio files and play them back via a player...the 203 can do that for a lot less money....the HDMI audio only connection will be the same for both...idk if that hdmi audio only upgrade is enough to justify the 205.

Stanleyitch

Stanleyitch

Audiophyte
Just ordered the 203 to upgrade from the 103. I have loved using the 103 as the centerpiece of the theater as a all around media and disc player that is also a fully functional preamp with my Outlaw 5000 amplifier.

I thought about the 205, but didn't see the sense in the extra 1,000 dollars toward this, taking Gene's advice that that money would be better spent on acoustic treatments, a second sub, or something else. (Or, is this a mistake? I'm thinking that probably 205 owners will champion their machine and 203 owners theirs.)

I tried the Panasonic 900ub, but despite its analog outputs, fails the user to be able to control the volume and is - inexplicably - unable to really be a preamp. Maddening. The build quality on the Panny also just disappointed compared to the 103. Once you've had an Oppo, everything else is junk. Sent the Panny back.

The one thing that was a hesitation for me was the 203 doesn't have any streaming apps. I think I understand why they made this choice, but it's a bummer. I hate the idea of fiddling with a pathetic little remote of a Roku or Firestick or whatever when you have this beautiful ergonomic backlit Oppo remote right there.

Also, I had a Roku before but it wouldn't pair with the 103 - one of those bullshit HDMI protection things came up with an alert making it clear there would be not pass-through. Has anyone had a problem pairing a Roku with the new Oppos?

2channel lover

Just ordered the 203 to upgrade from the 103. I have loved using the 103 as the centerpiece of the theater as a all around media and disc player that is also a fully functional preamp with my Outlaw 5000 amplifier.

I thought about the 205, but didn't see the sense in the extra 1,000 dollars toward this, taking Gene's advice that that money would be better spent on acoustic treatments, a second sub, or something else. (Or, is this a mistake? I'm thinking that probably 205 owners will champion their machine and 203 owners theirs.)
I have the 205.

I think the best feedback I got from Gene's review...if you're going to use the HDMI connection instead of the analog or XLR connections, save the money get the 203.

I'm paraphrasing to some degree, but I think you can credit him with that and I agree 100%.

The reasons TO buy the 205 imo.

• you enjoy movies, but you love music
  • you are going to use the superior Sabre DAC via the analog or XLR connection
  • the details in the music matters
  • the 205 can also stream your digital library (hi res files incl) via the asynchronous USB which terminates at the dedicated stereo Sabre DAC...that's huge if you have a large digital library
  • you have the speakers to realize the SQ improvement

S

sterling shoote

My OPPO UDP-205 came in today. I just plugged it in; and, WOW! I bought it to be able to enjoy my multi-channel SACDs via the 5.1 RCA output from the player. My expectations have been exceeded. Sound stage, and detail are amazing. Right now I'm listening to Dire Straits Brothers In Arms-20th Anniversary Edition 5.1 SACD DSD and it is just awesome. I have not tried out the Ultra Bluray function yet but I'm sure I'll get around to it after I take a few more of my SACDs for a spin. I will also plug the unit into my laptop via usb to enjoy some hi-res residing in my iTunes library. Thanks to all on this thread and to Gene to get me enough info to make this player selection.

2channel lover

My OPPO UDP-205 came in today. I just plugged it in; and, WOW! I bought it to be able to enjoy my multi-channel SACDs via the 5.1 RCA output from the player. My expectations have been exceeded. Sound stage, and detail are amazing. Right now I'm listening to Dire Straits Brothers In Arms-20th Anniversary Edition 5.1 SACD DSD and it is just awesome. I have not tried out the Ultra Bluray function yet but I'm sure I'll get around to it after I take a few more of my SACDs for a spin. I will also plug the unit into my laptop via usb to enjoy some hi-res residing in my iTunes library. Thanks to all on this thread and to Gene to get me enough info to make this player selection.
Congrats!

fwiw...I don't think there is a loser of the 203 vs 205 debate, but if the details matter...you've left no stone unturned...lol

You mentioned Dire Straits mc sacd, awesome...DSOTM is killer in multi-ch also. I just got my Xmas gift card purchases, all sacd...since it was found money, I bought a few titles (Eagles - Hotel California, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Abraxas) that I had been watching for a while but deemed too expensive. All are great! Not multi ch, but Santana's Abraxas gets a great clean up from the original master on the sacd.

:oops:...sorry!

I've been busy lately and haven't circled back to converting the laptop to music server project yet. I think we determined HDMI was the route to take for mc hi res files...not the asynch USB.

S

sterling shoote

Congrats!

fwiw...I don't think there is a loser of the 203 vs 205 debate, but if the details matter...you've left no stone unturned...lol

You mentioned Dire Straits mc sacd, awesome...DSOTM is killer in multi-ch also. I just got my Xmas gift card purchases, all sacd...since it was found money, I bought a few titles (Eagles - Hotel California, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Abraxas) that I had been watching for a while but deemed too expensive. All are great! Not multi ch, but Santana's Abraxas gets a great clean up from the original master on the sacd.

:oops:...sorry!

I've been busy lately and haven't circled back to converting the laptop to music server project yet. I think we determined HDMI was the route to take for mc hi res files...not the asynch USB.
Here's what I've discerned so far regarding usb input, the manual says the unit will decode and send to multi-channel analog outputs. I need to download driver and get a 24 foot 2.0 usb cable to see what happens. I'm pretty sure, the usb connection will allow me the pleasure of the few hi-res stereo files residing in my iTunes library. I have no multi-channel downloads; and, I don't even know yet where to go on-line to buy them, or how to download them. I also do not know what media player I will need to install to enjoy multi-channel. At any rate, I'll get the cable and driver and take it from there. If you have any input about any aspects please advise. And, thanks again for your interest. BTW, I have been buying multi-channel SACDs for several years. You could say, I've been stocking up for the time I'd have a player to enjoy multi-channel. My "Rumours" album has a multi=channel layer and my "Eat A Peach" album also has a multi-channel layer. One more thing, since all of my iTunes libray is in stereo, I am going to hook up the premium 2 channel RCA outputs to my pre/pro and listen to how that sounds.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Here's what I've discerned so far regarding usb input, the manual says the unit will decode and send to multi-channel analog outputs. I need to download driver and get a 24 foot 2.0 usb cable to see what happens. I'm pretty sure, the usb connection will allow me the pleasure of the few hi-res stereo files residing in my iTunes library. I have no multi-channel downloads; and, I don't even know yet where to go on-line to buy them, or how to download them. I also do not know what media player I will need to install to enjoy multi-channel. At any rate, I'll get the cable and driver and take it from there. If you have any input about any aspects please advise. And, thanks again for your interest. BTW, I have been buying multi-channel SACDs for several years. You could say, I've been stocking up for the time I'd have a player to enjoy multi-channel. My "Rumours" album has a multi=channel layer and my "Eat A Peach" album also has a multi-channel layer. One more thing, since all of my iTunes libray is in stereo, I am going to hook up the premium 2 channel RCA outputs to my pre/pro and listen to how that sounds.
Asynchronous usb...this connection goes to the dedicated stereo DAC from my understanding. Great SQ for your digital library, but if that is true and I'm thinking it is, I don't think it will process multi-ch.

Media player...you should be able to connect via both rca and hdmi if the AVR or pre/pro allows and I forget what your control unit is. If you can do this, there's no need to run another hdmi to bluray...the media player will handle all physical media.

From the Marantz I can designate which connection I want to use for the media player.

Most a/v media bluray, bluray concerts in a 5.1 mix sounds better imo via the hdmi connection on the media player...whereas most multi-ch sacds seems to sound a little better with the analog connection to the media player

JRiver...As a file manager, ripper, etc...I use Jriver m23...it can handle hi res and multi-ch downloads. It's actually not a bad playback option (reportedly a strong dac which I've never used on the main system) Yeah, I know where to get hi res downloads in stereo, (HD tracks, there are a few more) I haven't downloaded any yet either...multi-ch downloads I would have to look into that I haven't noticed any, but haven't been looking either. Generally speaking, the SACD world has been a new adventure for me, and one I'm enjoying...I have maybe 25 sacd titles (maybe 60% multi-ch) now since I've owned the 205.

We could always rip a mc sacd via jriver and test the play back, but I'm not as close as I was thinking earlier to trying such things. I'm working on an outdoor grill project and just mostly enjoying the music.

Oppo says there's no difference in the dedicated stereo DAC and the multi-ch stereo (L + R ch via 5.1 rca jacks). Both terminate at the new Sabre DACs...idk to be honest, but I use CD (or dedicated stereo) most of the time unless it's multi-ch and like I said I think the asynch USB terminates at the same DAC.

S

sterling shoote

Asynchronous usb...this connection goes to the dedicated stereo DAC from my understanding. Great SQ for your digital library, but if that is true and I'm thinking it is, I don't think it will process multi-ch.

Media player...you should be able to connect via both rca and hdmi if the AVR or pre/pro allows and I forget what your control unit is. If you can do this, there's no need to run another hdmi to bluray...the media player will handle all physical media.

From the Marantz I can designate which connection I want to use for the media player.

Most a/v media bluray, bluray concerts in a 5.1 mix sounds better imo via the hdmi connection on the media player...whereas most multi-ch sacds seems to sound a little better with the analog connection to the media player

JRiver...As a file manager, ripper, etc...I use Jriver m23...it can handle hi res and multi-ch downloads. It's actually not a bad playback option (reportedly a strong dac which I've never used on the main system) Yeah, I know where to get hi res downloads in stereo, (HD tracks, there are a few more) I haven't downloaded any yet either...multi-ch downloads I would have to look into that I haven't noticed any, but haven't been looking either. Generally speaking, the SACD world has been a new adventure for me, and one I'm enjoying...I have maybe 25 sacd titles (maybe 60% multi-ch) now since I've owned the 205.

We could always rip a mc sacd via jriver and test the play back, but I'm not as close as I was thinking earlier to trying such things. I'm working on an outdoor grill project and just mostly enjoying the music.

Oppo says there's no difference in the dedicated stereo DAC and the multi-ch stereo (L + R ch via 5.1 rca jacks). Both terminate at the new Sabre DACs...idk to be honest, but I use CD (or dedicated stereo) most of the time unless it's multi-ch and like I said I think the asynch USB terminates at the same DAC.
Reading manual the usb input terminates at dedicated analog stereo, as well as multi-channel analog. My iTunes Library has many hi-res files; but, until now they were all down converted to 24/96 using Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD for usb to S/PDIF play from HT. So now I will replace that device with the OPPO for play of hi-res without having need for down conversion. I am not using the OPPO HDMI output for anything other than video, since my pre/pro does not have HDMI input. At any rate, all is well, except this morning I went to the set-up menu to tweak my speaker configuration, and discovered the test tone does not output, no sound. Last night it worked fine. Only change today was an automatic firmware update. I'm thinking perhaps that is the culprit. Guess I will need to call OPPO on Monday. Configuration is possible still but not with test tone. Edit: Just solved problem, I had earlier this morning attempted to download driver for Windows 10 for usb to work. I do not have usb hooked up yet however. I don't have a long enough cable. The install of driver did not finish. Thinking just maybe that might be a problem, although I could not see how, I uninstalled driver. Now, test tone outputs as expected. WOW! Thought I was going to need to send unit back.

Last edited:
Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
If you are mostly concerned with Audio, the 203 is probably just fine, some say better, than the 205. Conditional recommendation, as I haven't compared the two myself.

S

sterling shoote

If you are mostly concerned with Audio, the 203 is probably just fine, some say better, than the 205. Conditional recommendation, as I haven't compared the two myself.
Johnny, the 205 has a usb DAC, the 203 does not. This feature permits the 205 to convert iTunes or other media player's hi-res files. The 205's stereo and multi-channel specs are better than the 203's too; but, I don't know how human ears could discern it. At any rate, I have yet to hear any credentialed reviewer say the 203 is better for an audio enthusiast, like me, who is primarily interested in SACD adventures. As OPPO states, the transport and video processing for 203 and 205 are the same, so perhaps the 203 would indeed be just fine for those primarily wanting a 4k player for HT. Now, I just hooked up my new 205 that was delivered yesterday. It replaces a Panasonic BD-80 that I bought back in 2009, as well as a Sony VDP-S9000es, circa 1999. The Sony can play Stereo SACD but not multi-channel. And, while the Panasonic has multi-channel analog output, it can not digest SACDs, either stereo or multi-channel. With the 205, I can enjoy stereo and multi-channel SACDs. So far, I'm really impressed. I've also played a few Blurays which looked and sounded better than what was delivered with the Panasonic. Overall, the OPPO UDP-205 seems to be the way to go for multi-channel SACD via analog output for those who do not have HDMI inputs on their pre/pros.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Reading manual the usb input terminates at dedicated analog stereo, as well as multi-channel analog. My iTunes Library has many hi-res files; but, until now they were all down converted to 24/96 using Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD for usb to S/PDIF play from HT. So now I will replace that device with the OPPO for play of hi-res without having need for down conversion. I am not using the OPPO HDMI output for anything other than video, since my pre/pro does not have HDMI input. At any rate, all is well, except this morning I went to the set-up menu to tweak my speaker configuration, and discovered the test tone does not output, no sound. Last night it worked fine. Only change today was an automatic firmware update. I'm thinking perhaps that is the culprit. Guess I will need to call OPPO on Monday. Configuration is possible still but not with test tone. Edit: Just solved problem, I had earlier this morning attempted to download driver for Windows 10 for usb to work. I do not have usb hooked up yet however. I don't have a long enough cable. The install of driver did not finish. Thinking just maybe that might be a problem, although I could not see how, I uninstalled driver. Now, test tone outputs as expected. WOW! Thought I was going to need to send unit back.
Good you solved it.

I would like to be to wrong on the usb/multi-ch issue...once I get the laptop setup properly with the new storage I would like to rip/create some mc playlists.

Either way, we'll find out sooner rather than later.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis