Oppo UDP 203 vs 205

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Good you solved it.

I would like to be to wrong on the usb/multi-ch issue...once I get the laptop setup properly with the new storage I would like to rip/create some mc playlists.

Either way, we'll find out sooner rather than later.
Here's what the manual says: The UDP-205 can function as a dedicated Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) and process external digital audio signals with its internal SABRE32 Reference audio processors. Three digital audio input ports are available: OPTICAL, COAXIAL and USB DAC, all located on the back panel. The processed analog audio is available from the dedicated stereo (RCA and XLR) and multi-channel terminals. At any rate, I ordered a 25 foot usb cable today, that's 9 feet longer than OPPO recommends but we'll see. I will let you know what happens. Also, I discovered today that I can use the high quality stereo analog output for multi-channel by simply disconnecting the FL and FR cables from the multi-channel array, and inserting them to the stereo outputs. Then, as I understand it, I reset these outputs to FR and FL in the set up menu from stereo. I may not do that however, instead, I may run the high quality stereo output to the stereo analog inputs on my TA-E9000es pre/pro to play stereo converted with 205's usb DAC. Right now the multi-channel outputs are feeding a TA-P9000es multi-channel analog preamplifier.

2channel lover

Here's what the manual says: The UDP-205 can function as a dedicated Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) and process external digital audio signals with its internal SABRE32 Reference audio processors. Three digital audio input ports are available: OPTICAL, COAXIAL and USB DAC, all located on the back panel. The processed analog audio is available from the dedicated stereo (RCA and XLR) and multi-channel terminals. At any rate, I ordered a 25 foot usb cable today, that's 9 feet longer than OPPO recommends but we'll see. I will let you know what happens. Also, I discovered today that I can use the high quality stereo analog output for multi-channel by simply disconnecting the FL and FR cables from the multi-channel array, and inserting them to the stereo outputs. Then, as I understand it, I reset these outputs to FR and FL in the set up menu from stereo. I may not do that however, instead, I may run the high quality stereo output to the stereo analog inputs on my TA-E9000es pre/pro to play stereo converted with 205's usb DAC. Right now the multi-channel outputs are feeding a TA-P9000es multi-channel analog preamplifier.
Noted...we'll see what you arrive at.

What we know is both the dedicated stereo and the 7.1 ch analog RCA jacks terminate at identical Sabre dacs...I still haven't done any A/B comparisons to note any SQ diff from the dedicated stereo jacks (CD in my setup) to the media player in stereo mode. Oppo says they should sound the same which makes sense to me, iirc one of the pro reviewers felt the dedicated 2 ch/XLR connection offered something more.

S

sterling shoote

Well, I went shopping for multi-channel downloads this morning. I found plenty at Acoustic Sounds Store, all FLAC and DSD. I believe I will need to install Foobar 2000 since these files will not go into my iTunes Library. Interestingly enough, I do have some hi-res files in my iTunes Library, having discovered HDtracks delivers up to 24/192 AIFF, but not multi-channel, just stereo. At any rate, looking at the prices, it appears, I could just forget multi-channel downloads, they're very expensive, and continue to buy hybrid SACDs. Not only are the SACDs less expensive, I own the SACD's and they have re-sale value. Plus, I don't need to ever worry about loosing the files to a computer crash. So, once I get the usb c 2.0 cable I will just be using it for the stereo hi-res which is residing in iTunes for right now. I no doubt will install Foobar and maybe one or two multi-channel files after I get some money back into the bank.

S

sterling shoote

Experimenting with the 205's features, I tried to get multi-channel audio to the OPPO's usb DAC. First went to Acoustic Sounds and downloaded a 24/192 multi channel FLAC file, then downloaded Foobar 2000 and imported file to player. Next, I downloaded driver needed for usb DAC and went into computer's control panel to enable the OPPO as default. I also went into advanced section to set output to 24/192. After this, I attempted to play the downloaded file, after setting the OPPO's input to usb DAC. It plays, but not in 6 channel as the file's properties box indicates are the number of channels in the file. All I get is left and right channel. Now, I abandoned Foobar, and opened iTunes to see what would happen when I attempted to play the hi-res stereo files there. To complete the necessary action, I turned off the 5.1 channel preamp and turned on the stereo preamp to input the OPPO. Next I pressed play on iTunes player and my TV monitor indicated I was receiving at a data rate of 24/192. I first listened to Sonny Rollins. I've gotta tell ya, he never sounded better. Previous to this my only experience with this particular hi-rez download was through a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD converting usb output to optical S/PDIF at 24/96, which I thought sounded pretty good; but, the OPPO sounds better. At any rate, I just don't know how to play multi-channel from computer through the OPPO. So, I'm going to need someone to tutor me I suppose. One more thing, using the usb DAC is not just a one button pleasure. The process to play is: turn on computer, open iTunes, click play over selection, turn on OPPO, turn on TV, turn TV's input to see OPPO on screen (this is necessary to understand next step), turn OPPO's input to usb DAC, turn on pre/pro and set input to OPPO, turn on power amps for front channels and sub. I think that's it. Definitely not something my wife could do without some instructions and me getting a lot of hostilely from her about the matter. My thinking now is do I want to spend money for hi-rez instead of AAC. Hi-rez music costs twice or more than what I'd need to pay for same music in AAC; and, I need to buy complete albums. Next, do I want to pursue multi-channel downloads. Multi-channel SACD is cheaper, I own it, no crash worries, and less physical effort to enjoy. To make determination between AAC and Hi-res, I will likely need to listen to some music which I have in hi-rez, as well as in AAC on the computer. P.S. I just went back to the OPPO web site and it appears to me, from re reading the specs on input the usb DAC receives, that perhaps it's just a two channel device, although in eh manuel it says the usb DAC terminates at both stereo and multi-channel analog outputs.

Last edited:

2channel lover

What I gathered...you tried the usb dac connection to your computer and using the playback of all of your options you have and were not able to get the multi-ch signal.

This might confirm my theory on where the usb dac terminates, and it might not.

We know hdmi can process multi-ch audio and hi res multi-ch audio. If your laptop and AVR or pre/pro has an hdmi connection...try that...absent of that you have to go the route of multi-ch analog.

USB 1 button...for me it's a one button connection...using the Oppo network media player, the laptop shows up on the network...and it allows me to query jriver's playlist, artist, songs, photos, etc.

I hardwire it via USB but as long as the laptop is booted up and jriver is up the Oppo connects via wifi as well.

multi-ch DSD downloads...I just bought several new sacd discs from Acoutics Sounds...I'll have to compare the price of the ri res multi-ch downloads to the hard discs.

Multi-ch download playback...I'm almost certain we can via the 205 via hdmi...I keep putting it off for some reason but we have a rainout weekend ahead...I'll try to hook up my external laptop drive and rip a a couple multi-ch files to Jriver and see if I can get the playback.

S

sterling shoote

My laptop has HDMI, so, I could get multi-channel to the 205 but I do not have HDMI on pre/pro. On pre/pro I have optical, IEC 958, and RCA input.

2channel lover

My laptop has HDMI, so, I could get multi-channel to the 205 but I do not have HDMI on pre/pro. On pre/pro I have optical, IEC 958, and RCA input.
Okay...no HDMI...so you're connecting your Bluray player to the pre/pro using legacy connections?

Uhmm...As connected now, are you able to get the Oppo home interface to display on the TV/video monitor? Yes...you should be able to access the network media player and the multi-ch analog connection. If no...we have to probe deeper, but I can see at some point the need to update your pre/pro if you can't connect via hdmi.

You can use the 205 as the Pre/pro and the source, and bypass your pre/pro but until we can get to the network media player I'm not certain we can accomplish multi-ch playback from the laptop.

S

sterling shoote

Okay...no HDMI...so you're connecting your Bluray player to the pre/pro using legacy connections?

Uhmm...As connected now, are you able to get the Oppo home interface to display on the TV/video monitor? Yes...you should be able to access the network media player and the multi-ch analog connection. If no...we have to probe deeper, but I can see at some point the need to update your pre/pro if you can't connect via hdmi.

You can use the 205 as the Pre/pro and the source, and bypass your pre/pro but until we can get to the network media player I'm not certain we can accomplish multi-ch playback from the laptop.
I do not know what you mean by "able to get the Oppo home interface to display". I have not gotten into the network features. I assume it works something like Airplay which I now use via Airport Express. It allows wireless play of my iTunes Library through my HT, albeit at 16/44. I don't see updating my pre/pro but if I did I'd get the new Marantz 8805. Of course, that would change everything. Keep in mind though that I opted for the OPPO 205 to be able to enjoy multi-channel with my Sony TA-P9000es analog 5.1 preamp. Since I am now able to enjoy hi-rez stereo from iTunes on computer via OPPO's usb DAC, and I am getting multi-channel SACD too, it seems, the only thing I'm not realizing is multi-channel over usb DAC. I can live with that. So, now, I will look into hooking up for wireless function with my laptops. If you have the time, I don't want to impose upon you, perhaps you could give me a step by step on how to do that. BTW, regarding network, I have connected the OPPO to internet with wireless connection, and it is apparently working as after connecting the OPPO updated its firmware.

Last edited:

2channel lover

I do not know what you mean by "able to get the Oppo home interface to display". I have not gotten into the network features. I assume it works something like Airplay which I now use via Airport Express. It allows wireless play of my iTunes Library through my HT, albeit at 16/44. I don't see updating my pre/pro but if I did I'd get the new Marantz 8805. Of course, that would change everything. Keep in mind though that I opted for the OPPO 205 to be able to enjoy multi-channel with my Sony TA-P9000es analog 5.1 preamp. Since I am now able to enjoy hi-rez stereo from iTunes on computer via OPPO's usb DAC, and I am getting multi-channel SACD too, it seems, the only thing I'm not realizing is multi-channel over usb DAC. I can live with that. So, now, I will look into hooking up for wireless function with my laptops. If you have the time, I don't want to impose upon you, perhaps you could give me a step by step on how to do that. BTW, regarding network, I have connected the OPPO to internet with wireless connection, and it is apparently working as after connecting the OPPO updated its firmware.
Overview...this is discovery mode for me as well in some respects and my knowledge is based around my equipment. I have taken a look at your TA9000 to gain some insight. Not suggesting you need to replace it, with the multi-ch bypass feature it looks like it's capable of working with another pre/pro even, but the lack of an hdmi connection makes this task of multi-ch from the laptop more challenging. If spinning multi-ch is your compromise...that's not bad imo...it's a great spinner.

Oppo interface display...on screen display.

Going back to the connections to the AV7702mkii...shorten to 7702 hereafter.

205...hdmi main to media player on the 7702
205...dedicated stereo analog to CD on the 7702
205...7.1 analog to 7.1 input on the 7702 (I'm using a 5.1, only side surrounds)

Choosing CD source on the 7702...I cannot get the Oppo on screen display. I switch to media player on the 7702 and now the Oppo interface shows on my screen. I could be playing the same CD from CD mode but now the artist, title, etc is on the TV screen.

Once you have the on screen display, you can manuever around to the various menu options...one of which is network player/streamer.

Whether it be wifi or ethernet (I have the good fortune of easy acess ethernet), when you take the network menu, the Oppo searches for other devices on the network...again if my laptop is booted up and online, it shows in the list of the devices and you go from there.

Network step by step....page 21 & 22 depending on your connection wifi or ethernet. then page 76...from the set up menu, find network setup and follow the prompts.

If you've gotten on the internet then I think your next part of this is the on screen display...you must access that to get to the Oppo menu...maybe go hdmi to the TV.

2channel lover

I don't see updating my pre/pro but if I did I'd get the new Marantz 8805. Of course, that would change everything.
I suppose you have your reasons for this pre/pro but my gosh...if it were me, I would get a 7703 on closeout for $1500. Worst case if I wanted XLR to a source maybe the 8802a on closeout for about $2500.

S

sterling shoote

I suppose you have your reasons for this pre/pro but my gosh...if it were me, I would get a 7703 on closeout for $1500. Worst case if I wanted XLR to a source maybe the 8802a on closeout for about $2500.
Alright, I believe I'm getting there. Right now, the only device shown on screen when I go to "network" tab is my EPSON Printer. Now, I am assuming that the OPPO does not handshake with Foobar 2000, or iTunes. If I buy J. Media Center and download it, will that show as a device from "network" tab? An article in Stereophile suggests it will show. The article also alludes to the OPPO receiving multi-channel from J. River Media Center too. The cost for J. Media Center is $69.99. My trial version expired, so I have no way to test if OPPO will see J. River and I sure don't want the expenditure if it won't work.

2channel lover

Alright, I believe I'm getting there. Right now, the only device shown on screen when I go to "network" tab is my EPSON Printer. Now, I am assuming that the OPPO does not handshake with Foobar 2000, or iTunes. If I buy J. Media Center and download it, will that show as a device from "network" tab? An article in Stereophile suggests it will show. The article also alludes to the OPPO receiving multi-channel from J. River Media Center too. The cost for J. Media Center is $69.99. My trial version expired, so I have no way to test if OPPO will see J. River and I sure don't want the expenditure if it won't work.
Some progress...good.

The Oppo should find the device that Itunes is running on. I have Itunes and JRiver running on my laptop, but the JRiver files, playlists, etc are all there on the networ. It never dawned on me that the Itunes, files/playlists are not showing up because I rarely use Itunes now...interesting. If the Oppo finds your laptop on the network, I'm thinking you should be able to find your music files on it but may need to search manually.

Obviously, they do a lot of the same things, so I can understand not wanting two things to do same task, but JRiver v m23 imo is a superior software...I just got the windows version for $50.

S

sterling shoote

Some progress...good.

The Oppo should find the device that Itunes is running on. I have Itunes and JRiver running on my laptop, but the JRiver files, playlists, etc are all there on the networ. It never dawned on me that the Itunes, files/playlists are not showing up because I rarely use Itunes now...interesting. If the Oppo finds your laptop on the network, I'm thinking you should be able to find your music files on it but may need to search manually.

Obviously, they do a lot of the same things, so I can understand not wanting two things to do same task, but JRiver v m23 imo is a superior software...I just got the windows version for $50.
So, is J. River showing on screen?

S

sterling shoote

Not sure I understand.

Yes, JR playlists show on the screen, but not the JR interface.
OK, did the list just materialize or did you do something to get it on the screen. In other words, if I buy MC will I see something on monitor re MC when I click network tab? Also, is your OPPO connection Ethernet or wireless?

2channel lover

OK, did the list just materialize or did you do something to get it on the screen. In other words, if I buy MC will I see something on monitor re MC when I click network tab? Also, is your OPPO connection Ethernet or wireless?
Ethernet connection.

In my case the Oppo typically finds several devices in the house...I select my laptop and there are options to work with music files or pictures...music and all of the music files on my computer populate. When I hit playlist option...only the JRiver playlists show on screen. I didn't designate JRiver vs ITunes playlists.

When I get home this evening I'll do a blow by blow on how it does it, but I have to think if the Oppo sees your laptop you can find the music...Jriver or itunes....it shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Ethernet connection.

In my case the Oppo typically finds several devices in the house...I select my laptop and there are options to work with music files or pictures...music and all of the music files on my computer populate. When I hit playlist option...only the JRiver playlists show on screen. I didn't designate JRiver vs ITunes playlists.

When I get home this evening I'll do a blow by blow on how it does it, but I have to think if the Oppo sees your laptop you can find the music...Jriver or itunes....it shouldn't matter.
Thanks, I do not have wired connection, I have wireless. When I click "network" the screen I see shows a column: first item is search symbol, followed by N ReadyDLNA:c3000-100NAS, followed by EPSON5E9C1, followed by READYSHARE. Now, if I click on ReadyDLNA:C3000-100NAS it takes me to the next page where I see another column: Browse Folders, Music, Pictures, Video. Clicking on any of those sends me to another page of sub folders, but of course they are empty. Now, in set up section under Network Setup it does show via connection test that I am connected to my modem/router. So, there's where I'm at. Since my laptop is not showing that's why I can not get to music. The question is how do I get my laptop to show. Does it require the Ethernet cat 6 cable connection? Also, obviously my laptop is wirelessly connected to the modem/router as settings status shows network connection to internet operating at 100 percent.

2channel lover

I'm connected via wifi now and as long as the laptop is unlocked it shows up. So Ethernet is not the problem. But there are two files showing up for the laptop...one is like you mentioned...no files are there when you click on the folders..the Jriver icon is the other folder and the files are there...very strange it's not finding your laptop.

S

sterling shoote

OK, it appears when I go to network I am seeing my modem/router listed. Now, if I were to connect my laptop to router via cat 6 would the OPPO then see something in the modem/router.

2channel lover

OK, it appears when I go to network I am seeing my modem/router listed. Now, if I were to connect my laptop to router via cat 6 would the OPPO then see something in the modem/router.
So still not seeing the laptop on the network? I'm at a loss because I haven't run into that problem. It can't hurt to try any connection option at this point. I assume you've called customer service...now that I think about this I did have to call them because Itunes files required a user/PW when I never established that type access. They suggested using another way of doing it which I didn't do, and now don't recall what it was...I bought JRiver, and migrated the Itunes files to their platform and have not had any problems since.

Through all of that, I was always able to get the device (laptop) to show up on the network.

You might have to talk with your internet provider maybe...we're stumped here until the Oppo can see the device with the music files on it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis