Oppo UDP 203 vs 205

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
So still not seeing the laptop on the network? I'm at a loss because I haven't run into that problem. It can't hurt to try any connection option at this point. I assume you've called customer service...now that I think about this I did have to call them because Itunes files required a user/PW when I never established that type access. They suggested using another way of doing it which I didn't do, and now don't recall what it was...I bought JRiver, and migrated the Itunes files to their platform and have not had any problems since.

Through all of that, I was always able to get the device (laptop) to show up on the network.

You might have to talk with your internet provider maybe...we're stumped here until the Oppo can see the device with the music files on it.
Yep, now I have been told if I download J. River Media Center it will be seen by OPPO as the DLNA server. I have also been told that I may need to do something with my laptop for it to be seen as a DLNA server. There's a guy in my area who is friends with one of my sons. This friend has a home theatre business. He understands DLNA, routers, modems, and those sorts of things so I'm going to talk to him on the phone to get his input. But, yes perhaps a call into OPPO at this point might be a good idea. BTW, I've mostly been listening to my iTunes Library and to Apple's suggested music that they think I might like; and, I've got to tell ya, using the usb DAC connection for stereo, the AAC files are in a word glorious. I am so happy with this player. You must be ecstatic with yours too.

2channel lover

Yep, now I have been told if I download J. River Media Center it will be seen by OPPO as the DLNA server. I have also been told that I may need to do something with my laptop for it to be seen as a DLNA server. There's a guy in my area who is friends with one of my sons. This friend has a home theatre business. He understands DLNA, routers, modems, and those sorts of things so I'm going to talk to him on the phone to get his input. But, yes perhaps a call into OPPO at this point might be a good idea. BTW, I've mostly been listening to my iTunes Library and to Apple's suggested music that they think I might like; and, I've got to tell ya, using the usb DAC connection for stereo, the AAC files are in a word glorious. I am so happy with this player. You must be ecstatic with yours too.
From my experience JRiver does get recognized by the Oppo.

A few days ago we talked about the Epson printer showing up on your network...the laptop has to have an ip address...strange.

I'm further away than I thought on transforming my laptop to a FT music server. I've got a new 4TB drive to add for storage, but I'm dragging my feet replacing the laptop as a computer...just not in a hurry to spend money I suppose.

That said...I do use the Oppo as a streamer via the USB, but mostly on weekends for whole house music...critical listening I still spin most of it.

S

sterling shoote

From my experience JRiver does get recognized by the Oppo.

A few days ago we talked about the Epson printer showing up on your network...the laptop has to have an ip address...strange.

I'm further away than I thought on transforming my laptop to a FT music server. I've got a new 4TB drive to add for storage, but I'm dragging my feet replacing the laptop as a computer...just not in a hurry to spend money I suppose.

That said...I do use the Oppo as a streamer via the USB, but mostly on weekends for whole house music...critical listening I still spin most of it.
This morning I downloaded the trial version of MC. It did not show as a DLNA server; but, with some web browsing, I discovered what to click to make it a DLNA server. Going back to Networks page on OPPO screen I saw MY PC/J. River and I clicked on it. Then clicking this and that I found the J. River Library-almost everything in my iTunes Library. I randomly clicked on a tune and sure enough it played. I then imported the multi-channel download to J. River and it showed up on the OPPO screen after re-booting it. Clicking on it however it did not play and I have not been able to figure out why. It's a flac file but on the OPPO screen for this selection there's a small box to the right of each song's name that says MP3. /What's that about. At any rate, now I have a media player which is showing and partically working through the OPPO, just not multi-channel yet. Any advice?

2channel lover

This morning I downloaded the trial version of MC. It did not show as a DLNA server; but, with some web browsing, I discovered what to click to make it a DLNA server. Going back to Networks page on OPPO screen I saw MY PC/J. River and I clicked on it. Then clicking this and that I found the J. River Library-almost everything in my iTunes Library. I randomly clicked on a tune and sure enough it played. I then imported the multi-channel download to J. River and it showed up on the OPPO screen after re-booting it. Clicking on it however it did not play and I have not been able to figure out why. It's a flac file but on the OPPO screen for this selection there's a small box to the right of each song's name that says MP3. /What's that about. At any rate, now I have a media player which is showing and partically working through the OPPO, just not multi-channel yet. Any advice?
Finally!!!

Great...Good to see Jriver work...at the end of the day, you were right, there is some barrier between the Oppo and Itunes...Jriver imo is a better player, and ripper also...those who are heavy into the meta tagging, think it's better in that regard too.

Multi-channel...I think we can go back to the DAC stage in the troubleshooting...if you are using the USB or wireless connection, I think they both terminate at the the dedicated stereo DAC. You've found info contrary to that in the manual maybe?

My question if that is the case and the USB terminates to dedicated 2 ch analog dac...why wouldn't the multi-ch download just down mix to stereo and play?

I still think multi-ch downloads need to connect via hdmi to playback in multi-ch...but that might be a question for Oppo customer service.

S

sterling shoote

Finally!!!

Great...Good to see Jriver work...at the end of the day, you were right, there is some barrier between the Oppo and Itunes...Jriver imo is a better player, and ripper also...those who are heavy into the meta tagging, think it's better in that regard too.

Multi-channel...I think we can go back to the DAC stage in the troubleshooting...if you are using the USB or wireless connection, I think they both terminate at the the dedicated stereo DAC. You've found info contrary to that in the manual maybe?

My question if that is the case and the USB terminates to dedicated 2 ch analog dac...why wouldn't the multi-ch download just down mix to stereo and play?

I still think multi-ch downloads need to connect via hdmi to playback in multi-ch...but that might be a question for Oppo customer service.
I contacted OPPO and left a message. A representative got back to me via email and asked if my usb port would play multi-channel? Since I had the multi-channel file on a thumb drive, I stuck it in the front usb port, went to music, saw the file and clicked on it, and guess what, glorious multi-channel sound "The Firebird" as played by the Seattle Orchestra. Now, I emailed the guy at OPPO that the usb front port was working but I have not heard back from him on the J. River. I'll keep you posted, in stereo or multi-channel.

2channel lover

I contacted OPPO and left a message. A representative got back to me via email and asked if my usb port would play multi-channel? Since I had the multi-channel file on a thumb drive, I stuck it in the front usb port, went to music, saw the file and clicked on it, and guess what, glorious multi-channel sound "The Firebird" as played by the Seattle Orchestra. Now, I emailed the guy at OPPO that the usb front port was working but I have not heard back from him on the J. River. I'll keep you posted, in stereo or multi-channel.
Congrats!!!

The front usb port processed multi-ch, but the rear port wouldn't? Or you hadn't tried inserting the thumb drive directly into the rear usb yet?

At least we know MC can be processed via the usb dac....the front usb....:)

S

sterling shoote

Congrats!!!

The front usb port processed multi-ch, but the rear port wouldn't? Or you hadn't tried inserting the thumb drive directly into the rear usb yet?

At least we know MC can be processed via the usb dac....the front usb....:)
Have not tried the rear ports. The guy at OPPO suggests the reason the multichannel file does not play from J. River is that the file has been transcoded or the file has been corrupted, meaning that although the player sees the file it can not recognize the file type. He says that since the file does play from the usb front port. He wants me to download another DLNA Server called oShare. I tried to do that on the laptop I'm on now but could not. I kept getting message that I did not have a thing called .dll so I'm going to try to download it on another computer tomorrow.

2channel lover

Have not tried the rear ports. The guy at OPPO suggests the reason the multichannel file does not play from J. River is that the file has been transcoded or the file has been corrupted, meaning that although the player sees the file it can not recognize the file type. He says that since the file does play from the usb front port. He wants me to download another DLNA Server called oShare. I tried to do that on the laptop I'm on now but could not. I kept getting message that I did not have a thing called .dll so I'm going to try to download it on another computer tomorrow.
To date, I've let you do most of the experimenting with multi-ch downloads but I will get around to diving into it as well. I've bought so many new titles since I've completed this new system. Weekdays, I get home from work, throw on one of about 3 CDs teed up for the evening, turn up a glass of wine and that's a wrap.

THIS weekend I will dabble with the system and see what results I get from ripping a multi-ch to JRiver and see if I can get it to play back via the Oppo and I report back.

S

sterling shoote

To date, I've let you do most of the experimenting with multi-ch downloads but I will get around to diving into it as well. I've bought so many new titles since I've completed this new system. Weekdays, I get home from work, throw on one of about 3 CDs teed up for the evening, turn up a glass of wine and that's a wrap.

THIS weekend I will dabble with the system and see what results I get from ripping a multi-ch to JRiver and see if I can get it to play back via the Oppo and I report back.
Here's the latest. I absolutely could not get the multi-channel music to play from J. River. I uninstalled and reinstalled on two laptops but no multi channel, all stereo however from J. River did play through OPPO from Network page; but, since my iTunes will do that using usb DAC setting I decided there was ZERO benefit from J. River so I uninstalled it, and I do not want to ever see it again. At any rate, I learned a one click move to make both of my laptops DLDA Severers. Doing that, I went back to Network and clicked on one of my laptop's. From there I clicked on albums, and every album on my laptop shows and all play except one multi-channel file which is apparently in a format the OPPO can not read. The other multi-channel piece which would not play although shown when J. River was DLNA to OPPO, does play now in multi-channel but not gapless as it is when playing plays from thumb drive. The OPPO tech said that Network play is not gapless. This all essentially means, for maximum multi-channel, I will need 1. to continue to buy multi-channel SACDs and 2. will need to put multi-channel downloads on to a thumb drive. At this point, I just want to see if other long running music played through Network possess a gap problem.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Here's the latest. I absolutely could not get the multi-channel music to play from J. River. I uninstalled and reinstalled on two laptops but no multi channel, all stereo however from J. River did play through OPPO from Network page; but, since my iTunes will do that using usb DAC setting I decided there was ZERO benefit from J. River so I uninstalled it, and I do not want to ever see it again. At any rate, I learned a one click move to make both of my laptops DLDA Severers. Doing that, I went back to Network and clicked on one of my laptop's. From there I clicked on albums, and every album on my laptop shows and all play except one multi-channel file which is apparently in a format the OPPO can not read. The other multi-channel piece which would not play although shown when J. River was DLNA to OPPO, does play now in multi-channel but not gapless as it is when playing plays from thumb drive. The OPPO tech said that Network play is not gapless. This all essentially means, for maximum multi-channel, I will need 1. to continue to buy multi-channel SACDs and 2. will need to put multi-channel downloads on to a thumb drive. At this point, I just want to see if other long running music played through Network possess a gap problem.
I'll probably be faced with the same fate, but as mentioned I will give this multi-ch download a try this weekend.

FWIW...I'm perfectly fine spinning my MC SACDs as I think the SQ can't be any better, but having multi-ch playlist is intriguing to me.

2channel lover

Interesting that JRiver is not working out for you. I'm not a fan of Itunes in general, but one thing I do like is all my purchased songs populate to my iphone and ipad. Aside from that I have no use for itunes anymore.

Okay...I ripped a multi-ch SACD this morning into JRiver. Prior to that I created a playlist titled Hi Res Multi-ch...soon after I ripped it...I migrated the files to the newly created playlist.

With the Marantz source set on Media player, multi-ch (with the hdmi connection)...the files playback fine....in multi-ch....via wifi.

Now that I've hooked up the external drive the laptop is not easy to move near the system to connect via the USB...I will be moving the laptop over near the system permanently when the laptop is taken out of service for my biz. I'll try the USB connection then and see if I get multi-channel via USB.

upload_2018-2-17_9-54-22.jpeg

S

sterling shoote

Interesting that JRiver is not working out for you. I'm not a fan of Itunes in general, but one thing I do like is all my purchased songs populate to my iphone and ipad. Aside from that I have no use for itunes anymore.

Okay...I ripped a multi-ch SACD this morning into JRiver. Prior to that I created a playlist titled Hi Res Multi-ch...soon after I ripped it...I migrated the files to the newly created playlist.

With the Marantz source set on Media player, multi-ch (with the hdmi connection)...the files playback fine....in multi-ch....via wifi.

Now that I've hooked up the external drive the laptop is not easy to move near the system to connect via the USB...I will be moving the laptop over near the system permanently when the laptop is taken out of service for my biz. I'll try the USB connection then and see if I get multi-channel via USB.

View attachment 23561
I created another thread on this topic which details pretty much all you and me have been discussing. Now, here's the big thing, since the OPPO will not do gapless playback from Network even if I got J. River to work there would be no point in it, since I have to have gapless for pleasure of 'The Firebird" and others like it, stereo or multi-channel. Being gapless the thumb drive seems to be the answer for enjoyment of multi-channel which is not available on SACD. And, for stereo hi-res the usb DAC connection to iTunes on my laptop will take care of that job, all bases now covered. Totally, satisfied.

2channel lover

I created another thread on this topic which details pretty much all you and me have been discussing. Now, here's the big thing, since the OPPO will not do gapless playback from Network even if I got J. River to work there would be no point in it, since I have to have gapless for pleasure of 'The Firebird" and others like it, stereo or multi-channel. Being gapless the thumb drive seems to be the answer for enjoyment of multi-channel which is not available on SACD. And, for stereo hi-res the usb DAC connection to iTunes on my laptop will take care of that job, all bases now covered. Totally, satisfied.
Case solved...enjoy.

S

sterling shoote

Case solved...enjoy.
And again thanks so much for your guidance and direction. Now, I'm off to look at a Technics SL-1200GR. I've been thinking that its feature set is more useful, for a multitude of reasons, than my 40 year old Sony running a Shure V15V-MR. My Sony does not have feet which allow leveling, nor does it have a VTA adjustment. It does match the Shure cartridge perfectly for proper VTA but not other carts which I have an interest in like the Ortofon M2 Black. The Sony's arm lift also does double duty as the platter start mechanism making it impossible to adjust cartridge without having to get behind my whole system and unplug the turntable. At any rate, fun stuff. Please keep me posted about your 205 adventures.

2channel lover

And again thanks so much for your guidance and direction. Now, I'm off to look at a Technics SL-1200GR. I've been thinking that its feature set is more useful, for a multitude of reasons, than my 40 year old Sony running a Shure V15V-MR. My Sony does not have feet which allow leveling, nor does it have a VTA adjustment. It does match the Shure cartridge perfectly for proper VTA but not other carts which I have an interest in like the Ortofon M2 Black. The Sony's arm lift also does double duty as the platter start mechanism making it impossible to adjust cartridge without having to get behind my whole system and unplug the turntable. At any rate, fun stuff. Please keep me posted about your 205 adventures.
Not a problem...glad to offer what little I was able to.

Oh...getting your turntable revved up again huh. I sold my LP collection back in the early 90s...I do miss it, but too big of a task to attempt again. This I'll watch from the sidelines...:)

Echolane

Echolane

Audioholic Intern
I am choosing an OPPO 205 because it’s analog section has been seriously upgraded to appeal to analog audiophiles, as I like to characterize myself. You have to check the specs section on the OPPO website on the 205 to see the differences. There are many. There really should be an obvious listening advantage to the 205 over the 203 based on intention. But that is only provided you choose to use the analog outputs, whether stereo or multichannel) to your amplifier. If you use HDMI instead, there is no point in choosing the 205, as you will be bypassing the improved analog section.

I have an older (or should I say elderly) OPPO 83 SE. The Special Edition, like the 205, was designed with an upgraded analog section which I must say raised the cost considerably, just as it does in the 205. Unfortunately, it still suffers from the use of a switch mode power supply rather than a much better linear power supply. I was happy to note the 205 uses a linear power supply.

I am in limbo awaiting OPPO’s promised final production run of 205s. OPPO was sold out of 205s just a few days after they announced they were ceasing production. I heard Magnolia still had inventory so bought one from Magnolia only to be informed that they had oversold their inventory. I have been assured that all prepaid orders will be fulfilled and I am reassured by a change in the notice on OPPO’s website. It originally said they MIGHT do another production run; now it says they WILL do another production run. Thank goodness, as I really want one of these players.

2channel lover

I am choosing an OPPO 205 because it’s analog section has been seriously upgraded to appeal to analog audiophiles, as I like to characterize myself. You have to check the specs section on the OPPO website on the 205 to see the differences. There are many. There really should be an obvious listening advantage to the 205 over the 203 based on intention. But that is only provided you choose to use the analog outputs, whether stereo or multichannel) to your amplifier. If you use HDMI instead, there is no point in choosing the 205, as you will be bypassing the improved analog section.

I have an older (or should I say elderly) OPPO 83 SE. The Special Edition, like the 205, was designed with an upgraded analog section which I must say raised the cost considerably, just as it does in the 205. Unfortunately, it still suffers from the use of a switch mode power supply rather than a much better linear power supply. I was happy to note the 205 uses a linear power supply.

I am in limbo awaiting OPPO’s promised final production run of 205s. OPPO was sold out of 205s just a few days after they announced they were ceasing production. I heard Magnolia still had inventory so bought one from Magnolia only to be informed that they had oversold their inventory. I have been assured that all prepaid orders will be fulfilled and I am reassured by a change in the notice on OPPO’s website. It originally said they MIGHT do another production run; now it says they WILL do another production run. Thank goodness, as I really want one of these players.
I hope you're able to get one. I love mine...admittedly the 203 is a nice machine, but the 205 takes nice up a few notches...the analog inputs you mentioned, while not a host, the async USB terminates at the same dedicated stereo analog dac ...turns your digital library into the best streamed output you can realize.

Kinda sad to see the production shut down, but downloads will be the future of hi res. I'm being pretty selective, but I'm still collecting SACDs while I can.

Echolane

Echolane

Audioholic Intern
I hope you're able to get one. I love mine...admittedly the 203 is a nice machine, but the 205 takes nice up a few notches...the analog inputs you mentioned, while not a host, the async USB terminates at the same dedicated stereo analog dac ...turns your digital library into the best streamed output you can realize.

Kinda sad to see the production shut down, but downloads will be the future of hi res. I'm being pretty selective, but I'm still collecting SACDs while I can.
Oh, I so agree! This is one of the very best companies. I bought my original OPPO directly from them and have had occasion to stop by for a fix (my dog bumped the tray pretty hard and it wouldn’t close) and they not only fixed it for free on the spot but they also gave me a case to transport it. I’ve also phoned their Tech Support on a couple of occasions. In all cases, the customer service was superlative. I will miss them.

I also agree, the future is high res streaming and its one of the many reasons I wanted the OPPO and its analog outs. I just now trying to get going on streaming. I’ve sent my CDs off to be copied, I’ve ordered equipment, etc., but I haven’t yet actually done it. If you have time, could you explain how you interact with the OPPO to accomplish streaming? Do you use its Ethernet connection? How do you “talk” to it and ask it to stream something?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, I so agree! This is one of the very best companies. I bought my original OPPO directly from them and have had occasion to stop by for a fix (my dog bumped the tray pretty hard and it wouldn’t close) and they not only fixed it for free on the spot but they also gave me a case to transport it. I’ve also phoned their Tech Support on a couple of occasions. In all cases, the customer service was superlative. I will miss them.

I also agree, the future is high res streaming and its one of the many reasons I wanted the OPPO and its analog outs. I just now trying to get going on streaming. I’ve sent my CDs off to be copied, I’ve ordered equipment, etc., but I haven’t yet actually done it. If you have time, could you explain how you interact with the OPPO to accomplish streaming? Do you use its Ethernet connection? How do you “talk” to it and ask it to stream something?
What format are you having your CDs copied to? Do you use a computer and/or NAS and have a wifi network? Or?

Personally I stream over my wifi network from either directly from my pc with foobar2000 and/or via my android phone with bubbleupnp.

Echolane

Echolane

Audioholic Intern
What format are you having your CDs copied to? Do you use a computer and/or NAS and have a wifi network? Or?

Personally I stream over my wifi network from either directly from my pc with foobar2000 and/or via my android phone with bubbleupnp.
I have a good router. Plan on having my CDs copied as WAV. Presently planning to store the hard drive inside the Naim Uniti Core rather than attaching it at my computer, but it will be connected via Ethernet cable, so it’ll be accessible on the network. That’s the living room. The OPPO will be in the TV bedroom. I do have Ethernet in that room for the ROKU. Was going to get a small Ethernet hub so I can add a second line to the OPPO. I will want to use my iPad. Looks like all I need to make it work will be to find some apps. Naim has an App, though the reviews look pretty bad. Then I’m guessing I’ll have to find a UPnP app for the OPPO that’s the equivalent of your Android app.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis