Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
This is exciting as hell! Thanks for the quick review and the pics, rmk. I can't wait for this baby to finally be mine!

I especially like the idea of having an overscan compensation feature. My RPTV has some overscan, and it'd be cool to scale the picture down just a wee bit so that I can see the whole thing. I am so freaking excited about this player!!! :D

cheers,
supervij

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
This is exciting as hell! Thanks for the quick review and the pics, rmk. I can't wait for this baby to finally be mine!

I especially like the idea of having an overscan compensation feature. My RPTV has some overscan, and it'd be cool to scale the picture down just a wee bit so that I can see the whole thing. I am so freaking excited about this player!!! :D

cheers,
supervij
Yes, it is a pretty cool product. I can't believe these are pre-production models are they are so beautifully packaged and functionally together.

I haven't heard of one owner problem other than some BD live issues that slow the load times but I believe these are common to other BR players.

There have been some comments about the price here :confused: but compared to what the new Denon unit will cost, it's a bargain. I think OPPO has a winner with this one.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I received the BDP-83 on Saturday. Setup was very easy and it was up and running in less than an hour. I was using a Panasonic BD-30 for Bluray, Toshiba XA2 for HD-DVD and Std DVD movies and A Pioneer Elite DV-59Avi for Redbook CD and DVD music (SACD and DVD-Audio) all connected to my SSP via HDMI. The Panasonic and Pioneer are now for sale and the BDP-83 and XA2 will be staying.

In the short time I have with the unit, the BDP-83 it is doing everything I need it to do and doing it very well. I have it setup in the most straight forward way (for me) in that it is bitstreaming all audio and video via HDMI to my SSP. I have not had a chance to check out all of the A or V processing features at this point but will be exploring those more in the coming weeks.

I know I may have to wait a bit for DVD-A support but that is a minor concern. All indications are this is a very well thought out and constructed player that provides someone like me the form and function to do virtually all of the source work in my HT with the exception of HD-DVD.

Again, I am using the single HDMI cable to the SSP. Load times are much better than the BD-30 or XA2 and about equal to the Elite. SD DVD looks as good if not a bit better than either the XA2 or Elite. SACD and my red book CD’s all sound great and the disk navagation menu features work like a charm.

I have dual displays in my HT and the HDMI switching has been fast enough and I was able to down load the codes for my Harmony 890 RF Remote last night. Really, I can’t find anything wrong with this unit but I’ll keep looking.

My equip list is:
Electronics:
- Integra 9.8 (SSP)
- Sunfire TGA 7400 (amp)
- QSC 2500 (Sub amp)
- Toshiba XA2 (HD-DVD)
- OPPO BDP-83 (everything else)
- Comcast HD-DVR
- Velodyne SMS-1 (Subwoofer EQ)

Speakers
- JTR Triple 12LF’s (LCR)
- Revel I-30 (in-wall surrounds)
- Danley TH-SPUD passive subwoofers (2)

Displays
- Panasonic TH-58PH10UK (Plasma)
- JVC HD-100 (Projector)
- Stewart StudioTek 130 (106" powered)
rmk,

Does the player have 5.1 Analog inputs on the back? Do these inputs allow HD audio playback or is that only available on HDMI?

Gregg

S

soloz2

Junior Audioholic
rmk,

Does the player have 5.1 Analog inputs on the back? Do these inputs allow HD audio playback or is that only available on HDMI?

Gregg
the bdp83 has 7.1 analog output and separate dedicated stereo analog output as well as HDMI and coax/optical. It can decode the HD audio and output via either digital or analog

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Sweet. It will work with my Arcam AVR350 then. No need to switch to a new receiver/Pre Pro to get HD Audio!!! That's what I thought and was hoping for.

Thanks.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Just ordered your AVR350? I love mine. I am using a Panny BD55K with it now.
Sounds very good (in spit of the BD55's awkward analog setup.)

Looking seriously at the Oppo. I hope it will be my all in one machine. I would like to have a BD player that will do real justice to CDs.

I just sold a Cambridge Audio 740C. Could not really justify it for what it costs.
Sounds very sweet but I believe the best DVD players can get within 90% of it as far as SQ. Maybe I am not that discerning, or I would have invested in a turntable and tube amps also, which I think is the best for 2ch sound.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Is it just me, or is all this HD Audio format surround modes and video switching stuff mostly hype? From what I've read and heard, getting solid separates, or a receiver like the Arcam 350 will give you far better sound than all the bells and whistle receivers out there. I'm very anxious to get mine so I can compare to my yammy which goes back to Best Buy today.

Through the Analog multi-channel connections, can't we still take advantage of the HD Audio? I really don't care if it says Dolby HD on my LCD, as long as I am getting the benefit of it.

By the way, what do you think about only using my Arcam to power my Center and Rear speakers and using my 250 Watt/Ch Emotiva XPA-2 for my mains and hooking into the Pre-outs?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Is it just me, or is all this HD Audio format surround modes and video switching stuff mostly hype? From what I've read and heard, getting solid separates, or a receiver like the Arcam 350 will give you far better sound than all the bells and whistle receivers out there. I'm very anxious to get mine so I can compare to my yammy which goes back to Best Buy today.

Through the Analog multi-channel connections, can't we still take advantage of the HD Audio? I really don't care if it says Dolby HD on my LCD, as long as I am getting the benefit of it.

By the way, what do you think about only using my Arcam to power my Center and Rear speakers and using my 250 Watt/Ch Emotiva XPA-2 for my mains and hooking into the Pre-outs?
Usually a good idea to have the LCR's similarly powered but as long as they are level matched that should be fine. The CC carries a lot of the load in HT.

Yes, you will soon be experiencing lossless audio. I have been enjoying HD Audio formats on Bluray and HD-DVD for over a year now so I'm in the it's not hype camp. I find the lossless tracks much better sounding than the standard compressed DD and DTS formats. Now, I regularly listen all the way through the closing credits of films just to hear the HD music tracks.

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
Any word on whether Oppo will support netflix streaming? I just pulled the trigger on a BD-P2500 for the netflix streaming ability, but may consider adding the BDP-83 to my arsenal in the future.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
That's great news. so why is everyone running out to buy these receivers with HD Audio capability? Just to see it on their LCD's of the receivers? I am willing to bet that the Analog Audio connections are going to sound better than the HDMI connections, due to the compression that goes on with HDMI.. To me, it's like comparing Optical cables to Coax. No comparison..

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Usually a good idea to have the LCR's similarly powered but as long as they are level matched that should be fine. The CC carries a lot of the load in HT.

Yes, you will soon be experiencing lossless audio. I have been enjoying HD Audio formats on Bluray and HD-DVD for over a year now so I'm in the it's not hype camp. I find the lossless tracks much better sounding than the standard compressed DD and DTS formats. Now, I regularly listen all the way through the closing credits of films just to hear the HD music tracks.
Isn't it also true with the Arcam that you need a BD player that allows you to set the speaker sizes, distances, cross overs, etc when running lossless?

I think I had read this somewhere, as the Arcam processing will not work when running HD content through it.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Isn't it also true with the Arcam that you need a BD player that allows you to set the speaker sizes, distances, cross overs, etc when running lossless?

I think I had read this somewhere, as the Arcam processing will not work when running HD content through it.
Correct, with the HD audio decodeing done in the player, you will also be using the players limited speaker settings and bass management. That is why so many are opting for the new AVR's with HD format decoding.

That's great news. so why is everyone running out to buy these receivers with HD Audio capability? Just to see it on their LCD's of the receivers? I am willing to bet that the Analog Audio connections are going to sound better than the HDMI connections, due to the compression that goes on with HDMI.. To me, it's like comparing Optical cables to Coax. No comparison..
You would lose that bet;).The HDMI bit stream is lossless i.e. no compression.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well I am looking to get my first Blu-ray player ever, never jumped on the bandwagon since the war started and ended..... I have been pointed in the direction of either a PS3 or this Oppo...

Anyone even have a slight clue when they will be putting these out, I have done no research on this yet, so please fill me in....

I'm not concerned with the scaler, as my new Pre-Amp will likely offer better performance in that dept, but it looks to be a feature rich unit...

Thanks

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic

Basically, the Arcam will only control volume. You should use the player to set speaker size, delays, and sub on or off. However, the Arcam can be set to provide a 10db boost to LFE over analog which most players do not.

Providing all HD audio is decoded in the player, you will get lossless audio via analog, and it sounds great! Generally, with better preamps and receivers the difference between digital processing (DTS 5.1) and lossless analog will be greater. I can assure you, you will hear a difference!
The AVR350 puts out a very solid 100W per channel RMS with all channels driven. 120W per ch. for 2 ch.
High current also.
The true quality of the Arcam is not just transparency in reproduction, but the 'quiet' between passages.
The new Oppo player provides a default of 80Hz for a crossover when setting up analog. This is against 100Hz by most other players. In fact, the Pioneer '05 and '09 models set it at 120Hz.
I've read some articles that claim 120Hz is adequate for soundtracks. I am sure most players compromise 80Hz with 100Hz because some consumers are using HTIB sound systems. I have no reason to believe Pioneer is not doing the same.
I think most HT (non-HTIB) setups with quality 5.1/7.1 speakers will be very comfortable with 80Hz with the speakers in the player set for small. And these same receivers are likely setup using a 60-90HZ crossover range with other sources.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Well I am looking to get my first Blu-ray player ever, never jumped on the bandwagon since the war started and ended..... I have been pointed in the direction of either a PS3 or this Oppo...

Anyone even have a slight clue when they will be putting these out, I have done no research on this yet, so please fill me in....

I'm not concerned with the scaler, as my new Pre-Amp will likely offer better performance in that dept, but it looks to be a feature rich unit...

Thanks
If you have a few hours to spare, the AVS BDP-83 EAP thread has a lot of good info.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks RMK!.....

Guess I'll have a look over there and read in...

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic

Thanks
Expect them within the month, if all goes well with the trial units they sent out already to customers picked randomly...

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well I am not in any big hurry, so that to me is great news...

thanks greggp2

Nice to hear things are going quite well with this unit... I don't mind spending the extra couple of $$ for a unit that exceeds expectations that have been set.

I never got caught up in the HD war, as stated earlier - this will be my first.

I like what I see thus far for specs on the Oppo.... :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis