Oppo BDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Sneak Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys;

I met up with Jason Liao of Oppo at CEDIA and he showed me their new UHD Blu-ray player. We sat down for a quick interview but I will do a more detailed report for the editorial site this coming week.

This video isn't even live on our channel till next week so you guys get to see it first!

BTW there won't be any Apps on this player, at least not upon first launch. So gone is Pandora, Netflix, Vudu, etc. Their focus was making a very fast and stable UHD player. As you know this has been a problem with first gen models. Oppo wants this to be a solid player from day one.

Attachments

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Interesting, thanks.
But a question about the video disc itself, maybe needs another thread?
Is the BD UHD still 50 Gb capacity, dual layer only? For a data source that should be 4X higher than 1080P BD?

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Well, I answered my own question. Yes, 50Gb for now and later 3 layers which will need a new player.
Very aggressive coding to get all that 8X to the same disc.:eek:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Because you made me curious, I looked up some specs of what to expect with UHD BD players...

Ultra HD Blu-ray will use primarily double-layer 66GB discs (though 100GB triple-layer discs are part of the spec) and will be capable of delivering up to 108Mbps of data. To put this in perspective, consider that Netflix’s 4K Ultra HD streams are delivered at about 16Mbps and represent an average of 14GB of total data for two hours of entertainment.

Ultra HD Blu-ray discs will be encoded using the relatively new HEVC (also known as H.265) codec.

Info from: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/ultra-hd-blu-ray-specs-dates-and-titles/

So, between the 66GB dual layer discs and the HEVC codec, you are able to get higher quality for the available bandwidth. Still, it may be a bit tight until the 100GB discs come along. I'm not sure that there won't be players which support triple layer discs out of the box via a firmware upgrade, but I'm not biting or joining the 4K bandwagon for a while. DVD looked great, BD looks amazing.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Because you made me curious, I looked up some specs of what to expect with UHD BD players...

..., BD looks amazing.
Well, that is why my curiosity.
BD uses 50GB discs and some back covers claim 20+ meg data transfers. Now we have a source that supposed to have 8X more pixels to encode on a 50, 66, or 100MB disc? I wonder what the BD would look like with this new encoding perceptual coding. We could have 3 movies on one 50GB disc. :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Oppo gave us an exclusive look at their new UDP-203 Ultra HD Universal Blu-ray player at the CEDIA 2016 Expo. What can you expect from this new player? The best in HD audio and video, with a quick responding interface unlike the current offerings from other manufacturers. But you will have to give something up (at least initially).

Read on to find out and be sure to check out our sneak peek YouTube Video interview with Jason Liao of Oppo.

Read: Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Sneak Peek

B

Blackbird

Audiophyte
Hi, I am waiting for information about streaming Dolby Atmos audio stream from MKV files. Because 103D can´t do that. Do you have some information about it?

I

IVR

Audiophyte
I'll never buy an oppo component again. Lots and lots of hype and great specs but actually poorly made. My 500$ oppo DVD/CD player from a couple years ago stopped working after really very little use. My 200 LG keeps working, looks and sounds great.

I

IVR

Audiophyte
Oppo is junk in my opinion. Expensive and breaks down. At least mine did. 500$ DVD/CD lasted about 2 years. Amazing specs, great reviews but build quality from my perspective seems highly questionable.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Oppo is junk in my opinion. Expensive and breaks down. At least mine did. 500$ DVD/CD lasted about 2 years. Amazing specs, great reviews but build quality from my perspective seems highly questionable.
Did you contact Oppo? What did they tell you? Do you still have the broken unit?

Contact Oppo.

Everything that I have heard--when you buy Oppo you aren't just buying a product, you are also buying into excellent customer service. Many stories on here for people getting repairs as the 2nd owner, out of warranty repairs free or cheap, etc.

A

Alan R. Christilaw

Audiophyte
WOW! Can't believe the Oppo hate save for trolls and parrots of trolls. They just repaired the oldie (and somewhat moldy) BDP-83 AND the BDP-95, both from me for nothing. The BDP-83 was like 9 years out of warranty, with the drawer failing a second time. The 95 had muck on the reader (I really hate those early fans). A new very hi-rez player from Oppo? Sign me up!

mistergsf

mistergsf

Junior Audioholic
It's not my place to argue someone else's customer service experience with Oppo, but I must defend the build quality of their products. The products I own are solid, and extremely well made. I have a BDP-83 that is about 10 years old and has never failed me yet. I moved to Oppo after owning countless, Sonys and Samsungs that would breakdown after a year or two like clockwork. I also own a BDP-95, PM-3 Headphones, and HA-2 Headphone Amp. I am eagerly awaiting their next generation players.

J

Jersey Jim C

Enthusiast
IVR posts on October 05, 2016 13:42
"I'll never buy an oppo component again. Lots and lots of hype and great specs but actually poorly made. My 500$ oppo DVD/CD player from a couple years ago stopped working after really very little use. My 200 LG keeps working, looks and sounds great."

Oppo hasn't made a DVD/CD player since 2009, if I am correct, when they introduced their first Blue-ray player. Why would anyone care how good a LG CD player looks? Strange.
BTW, my DV-970HD and DV-980H are still working fine.

I

IVR

Audiophyte
IVR posts on October 05, 2016 13:42
"I'll never buy an oppo component again. Lots and lots of hype and great specs but actually poorly made. My 500$ oppo DVD/CD player from a couple years ago stopped working after really very little use. My 200 LG keeps working, looks and sounds great."

Oppo hasn't made a DVD/CD player since 2009, if I am correct, when they introduced their first Blue-ray player. Why would anyone care how good a LG CD player looks? Strange.
BTW, my DV-970HD and DV-980H are still working fine.
DVD? Get it? You look at at it, as in the picture that is displayed when using it. LG? Why would any care how an LG sounds. Einstein.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I have 2 BDP-103s that I bought about 4-5 years ago. They have both worked flawlessly for me. I have no reservations about buying more Oppo products.

Having said that, it's a (mostly, kinda, sorta) free country. Others can buy whatever blows their hair back.

B

badhack

Audiophyte
FWIW my oppo bluray failed right outside of warranty with a video corruption issue and they straight up refused to service it without a charge. For $500 it should have at least a 3 year warranty if not 5 year.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
FWIW my oppo bluray failed right outside of warranty with a video corruption issue and they straight up refused to service it without a charge. For $500 it should have at least a 3 year warranty if not 5 year.
It just goes to show you; you can't please every one. Reminds me of a Cruise my wife & I went on years ago. The only thing we didn't like about it was when it was over. Yet, there was an older couple on the ship just hated everything about it. All they did was bitch, bitch, bitch. They were very vocal about it. I kept thinking, with over 3,000 people on the Cruise, everyone was thrilled, and these idiots were miserable. All I can say is, they wanted their money back. Pathetic.

J

Jersey Jim C

Enthusiast
Two negative reviews against thousands of positive ones and my own experience aren't going to change my view of the company. I have a more important question:
Is it Oh-ppo or Ah-ppo?

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Two negative reviews against thousands of positive ones and my own experience aren't going to change my view of the company. I have a more important question:
Is it Oh-ppo or Ah-ppo?
You are in the 1% category. Most everyone loves Oppo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis