OPPO UDP-205 Universal Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Preview

music4Luis

music4Luis

Audiophyte
As I stated in my preview, if you're NOT using the analog audio outputs, get the UDP-203 model...."

I am a new member...trying to decide which OPPO to buy. I'm an old-timer, 2-channel audiophile. Now at home we're also into video and we have the projected screen between my 2 floor-standing speakers ( no interest in surround sound, nor in having an AV receiver because I prefer to pick my own power amp).
We want the best quality audio sound with our films and for music.
Current audio setup - Mac Mini USB out to USB-Coax converter, into the digital coax input of my Bel Canto 1.2 DAC, then - DAC analog out to power amp.
SO....can I ask the forum participants for their suggestions??

music4Luis

music4Luis

Audiophyte
I am a new member...trying to decide which OPPO to buy. I'm an old-timer, 2-channel audiophile. Now at home we're also into video and we have the projected screen between my 2 floor-standing speakers ( no interest in surround sound, nor in having an AV receiver because I prefer to pick my own power amp).
We want the best quality audio sound with our films and for music.
Current audio setup - Mac Mini USB out to USB-Coax converter, into the digital coax input of my Bel Canto 1.2 DAC, then - DAC analog out to power amp.
SO....can I ask you and the forum participants for their suggestions??

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I've read the jitter-is-bad info on less reputable forums, but I have to know: is this a real thing? Can you perceive a difference between the standard Oppo 203 HDMI clock and this ultra-precise version? If not, why make a point of it, and make a claim that it "can improve the sound quality?" Painting it pink "can improve" your experience but the proof is in the listening. No diff in ABX, no improvement. If it's a real, perceptible phenomenon, I apologize, but if not, I rather expected better from Audioholics repeating such a claim, and also disappointed in Oppo for making a point of it, even if the crazy audiophools want it as a feature.
I will add "Claimed" improvement to the report. That said, first generation Universal DVD players from Oppo had very poor sound quality for SACD via HDMI outputs. It had something to do with how it was converting to PCM if I recall correctly, probably not related to jitter. But its not impossible for digital outputs to sound different if something is mucking up the conversion.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
Maybe put a passive HDMI switch in the signal chain, feeding the miniDSP, and on to the Oppo HDMI input. You could process multiple sources then, but nothing decoded in the Oppo. I doubt there's any way to insert a processor in the Oppo's internal signal chain or loop back a signal. That's more a pro audio feature.

bullitt5094

Enthusiast
OPPO responded there was no way to do what I want. If I put the DSP in front of the OPPO in the chain then it would do nothing when using the OPPO for playback. If I put it after the OPPO I couldn't use the 203s DAC capabilities. Looks like I'll just keep my 103 since there is no upside to upgrading at this point. I would then 103 HDMI to the DSP. I'll also go from my HTPC HDMI to the DSP and use a Pre/Pro for decoding. Or just go with an Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac and not use the MiniDSP at all. That may be the best solution. Too bad the OPPO, with all that great DAC capability can't facilitate room correction in digital. That is really a missing feature in my book.

G

Gys Florian

Enthusiast
If I understand correctly, then it is possible but not with a nano AVR DL.
I think minidsp DDRC-88a is what you're looking for.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
OPPO responded there was no way to do what I want. If I put the DSP in front of the OPPO in the chain then it would do nothing when using the OPPO for playback. If I put it after the OPPO I couldn't use the 203s DAC capabilities. Looks like I'll just keep my 103 since there is no upside to upgrading at this point. I would then 103 HDMI to the DSP. I'll also go from my HTPC HDMI to the DSP and use a Pre/Pro for decoding. Or just go with an Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac and not use the MiniDSP at all. That may be the best solution. Too bad the OPPO, with all that great DAC capability can't facilitate room correction in digital. That is really a missing feature in my book.
The 88a and this unit are DSPs so they will digitize the analog. On the forums, many swear by it.
Personally, I'd rather use a PEQ to correct room modes.

I have a fried using the 105D as their preamp for a 2 channel system. Another friend just bought a 205 that is also using it directly connected to their amp.

I have done some listening sessions using J River Zones to sync the playback through the 105D and 205. Both are wired to a Kramer switch to change inputs during playback. Subjectively, the 205 does a better job separating the instruments and has a cleaner more extended top end. I like it better than the HA-1.

The 105(d) and 205 have limited bass management, the crossover point is system wide all speakers are set at the same crossover. The crossover point is also used as the low-pass filter for the woofer, so lowering it can discard bass. So if your requirements fit within these limitation is makes a great simple system.

The 205 boots very fast from a cold start, much faster than the 105.

- Rich

2channel lover

OPPO Digital announced their UDP-205 4K Ultra HD Audiophile Blu-ray Disc player is available for purchase. A step-up version of the recently released UDP-203, the UDP-205 brings top-of-the-line audio performance to a universal player that supports 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and many other digital audio and video formats. Advanced engineering, rigorous parts selection, and rock-solid build quality are foundations to the UDP-205’s performance and we are looking forward to bench testing this beauty.

Check out our preview article to see what makes this Universal Ultra HD Blu-ray player so special.

Read: OPPO UDP-205 Universal Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Preview
Gene...I think you guys do great work.

From seeing your preview, I know you guys are just getting into the nuts and bolts for your in depth work on the 2 new Oppo UDP players.

I will be one waiting on the results. I'm a music lover that's building a new music/HT system from the ground up after nearly 20 yrs with my old system. I have gotten great advice from your forum to date.

My current CD player is an old Rotel RDP980/RDD980 Dac/Transport combo. It's showing some age now and I'm looking to replace it soon as part of this build. Ideally I'd like the CD/Bluray in one box.

4k video doesn't mean a ton to me as I'm mostly into music, but my wife enjoys movies. IMO it doesn't make sense to invest in old technology if you're going to spend money.

2 questions. Your thoughts on SACD? Tangibly better quality than CD?

Preference, the UDP 205 vs a higher end CD player like the Marantz SA8005 (or CD6006 if you don't think SACD is worth it and a cheaper BD)

The build to date.

Pre-pro...Marantz...AV7702mkii
Amp...Outlaw...2200 mono block x 3 (LCR)
Amp...Emotiva...A700 (surround)
Mains...Salk...Song3-A (ordering soon w/ Ctr channel)

Thanks for your time and insight.

S

sterling shoote

The only reason I can see for the 205 rather than a less expensive UDP is analog multi-channel SACD output. That reason however is enough for me to want the 205. Multi-channel SACD is just awesome; and, the 205 and 203 OPPO's are about the only route today to enjoy multi-channel SACD's using a non-HDMI multi-channel preamp.

2channel lover

The only reason I can see for the 205 rather than a less expensive UDP is analog multi-channel SACD output. That reason however is enough for me to want the 205. Multi-channel SACD is just awesome; and, the 205 and 203 OPPO's are about the only route today to enjoy multi-channel SACD's using a non-HDMI multi-channel preamp.
Multi channel SACD...as in more than 2 channels I take it. I've never given that much thought with the build. I've heard a SACD 2 ch setup before but never in an A/B comparison to know just how much better it sounds than a regular cd.

The multi-channel angle is intriguing. My side rears are not going to timbre match my LCR, but I didn't buy them with the thought of that being a part of my listening, but duly noted. Thanks.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Just my 2 cents. I have an Oppo 105 I've been enjoying for a few years now. But until recently all of my music listening had been two channel sources. I purchased the Pink Floyd album "Dark Side of the Moon" witch is in SACD 5.1. The different sounds coming from each speaker is pretty amazing! Especially the surrounds. The sound just pans across the room. It's pretty cool. It was my first multi channel CD, and now I want a few more. The trick is finding SACDs from artist I want to listen to, and that are not crazy expensive.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just my 2 cents. I have an Oppo 105 I've been enjoying for a few years now. But until recently all of my music listening had been two channel sources. I purchased the Pink Floyd album "Dark Side of the Moon" witch is in SACD 5.1. The different sounds coming from each speaker is pretty amazing! Especially the surrounds. The sound just pans across the room. It's pretty cool. It was my first multi channel CD, and now I want a few more. The trick is finding SACDs from artist I want to listen to, and that are not crazy expensive.
Just be aware that some SACDs are better and have better effects and panning than others.

DSOM is one of the best! You may not be so lucky on your next purchase. It would be wise to read some SACD reviews before spending the $.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Just be aware that some SACDs are better and have better effects and panning than others.

DSOM is one of the best! You may not be so lucky on your next purchase. It would be wise to read some SACD reviews before spending the $.
Once again you get a "Like" Sir

If one enjoys Jazz, Rock, R&B, Electronic Jazz and so on... would you have any recommendations?

PS: I don't really listen to a lot of Classical

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
It's not a knock against the Oppo, but you'd better really, really like the analog section to pay more than twice as much for the transport vs a 103 or 203. I have a handful of multi-channel DVD-A and SACD discs, and enjoy them, but my receiver is doing all the decoding and D-A conversions. It's not worth it to me to essentially rebuild my system to get that last nth portion of performance for just a few discs. And in the end, I'm not 100% sure I could perceive a noticeable difference anyway.

I used ripping software (including a nifty temporary hack of the 103) to get the multi-channel files off those discs and I play them as I would any ripped audio from CD's. I don't even use the physical discs anymore, so the transport itself is superfluous for music.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Once again you get a "Like" Sir

If one enjoys Jazz, Rock, R&B, Electronic Jazz and so on... would you have any recommendations?

PS: I don't really listen to a lot of Classical
I never had a large SACD collection so I'm not a great resource on that. I don't even currently have a player, but I did keep a few SACDs.

I will say that I was a bit disappointed in the Getz/Gilberto SACD. It wasn't "bad" by any means, but I just expected more for the format. I prefer it on my 45rpm 180g vinyl, but granted it has been quite a while since I heard the SACD format.

2channel lover

It's not a knock against the Oppo, but you'd better really, really like the analog section to pay more than twice as much for the transport vs a 103 or 203. I have a handful of multi-channel DVD-A and SACD discs, and enjoy them, but my receiver is doing all the decoding and D-A conversions. It's not worth it to me to essentially rebuild my system to get that last nth portion of performance for just a few discs. And in the end, I'm not 100% sure I could perceive a noticeable difference anyway.

I used ripping software (including a nifty temporary hack of the 103) to get the multi-channel files off those discs and I play them as I would any ripped audio from CD's. I don't even use the physical discs anymore, so the transport itself is superfluous for music.
Interesting thoughts.

To be honest I would be buying the 205 mostly for the dedicated stereo analog section. This is a cherry on top type purchase for me. I've got an aging, but still functional CD player that's pretty good quality. 4k video doesn't really give me much of a rise (I have a two 4k TVs but the space where this Oppo unit would be going, my 1080p plasma will handle the video until it dies) so I can afford the time to let the dust settle on the 205 and 203 for that matter.

I will say, from looking as the early owner comments for the 205 if I were to make a decision right now, I'd most likely buy the 203. At best the early responses are mixed (50/50) on the 205.

I'm going to give it a few months and revisit it late summer, early fall.

2channel lover

I never had a large SACD collection so I'm not a great resource on that. I don't even currently have a player, but I did keep a few SACDs.

I will say that I was a bit disappointed in the Getz/Gilberto SACD. It wasn't "bad" by any means, but I just expected more for the format. I prefer it on my 45rpm 180g vinyl, but granted it has been quite a while since I heard the SACD format.
My exposure to SACD is thru a friend. He has a fairly extensive collection (imo over 100 is extensive for SACDs)...he said exactly the same as you've said here.

Some recordings are exceptional, and some are not as good as a master CD or even a regular CD. I don't envision it being a huge part of my music collection either way, but for some music I really like I wanted the best of the best if you will.

D

dmusoke

Audioholic Intern
OPPO Digital announced their UDP-205 4K Ultra HD Audiophile Blu-ray Disc player is available for purchase. A step-up version of the recently released UDP-203, the UDP-205 brings top-of-the-line audio performance to a universal player that supports 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and many other digital audio and video formats. Advanced engineering, rigorous parts selection, and rock-solid build quality are foundations to the UDP-205’s performance and we are looking forward to bench testing this beauty.

Check out our preview article to see what makes this Universal Ultra HD Blu-ray player so special.

Read: OPPO UDP-205 Universal Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Preview
Gene ... when is the full review of the UDP-205 detailed tests withdetcoming out?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
anybody have an opinion as how the headphone section performs ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis