Will Pioneer UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player Be the Oppo Alternative?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
With Oppo Digital going out of business, it was only a matter of time before another manufacturer would build an upscale UHD Blu-ray player to fill the void for players of this caliber.

Does the new Pioneer UDP-LX500 4K UHD Universal Blu-ray player have what it takes to accomplish that mission?

Specs:
  • Ultra HD Blu-ray Playback
  • BD-ROM (UHDBD/3D BD/BD)/BD-R (DL)/BD-R LTH/BD-RE (DL)
  • DVD-ROM (DVD-Video/DVD-Audio)/DVD-R (DL)/DVD-RW/DVD+R (DL)/DVD+RW
  • Audio CD (CD-DA/SACD)/CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW
  • Three-Block Internal Layout (Power Supply, Drive/Digital Processing, Analog Audio)
  • 6-Layered Main Circuit Board for High S/N Ratio
  • PQLS Jitter-less Sound Transmission
  • Power Requirements: AC 120 V, 60 Hz
  • Power Consumption: 28 W
  • Power Consumption During Standby: 0.4 W (Full)/1.2 W (Network Standby On)
  • Dimensions (W X H x D): 17-1/8 x 4-5/8 x 13-1/4 inches (435 x 118 x 337 mm)
  • Weight: 22.7 lbs. (10.3 kg)
Pioneer-UHD.jpg

Read: Pioneer UDP-LX500 4K UHD Blu-ray Player Preview

Let us know what you think in the comment thread below.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's beautiful. The massive face plate no doubt is supposed to evoke an impression of the unit being high end. I just want to know if it has multi-channel analog output.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It looks like an interesting product, but another feature which is available with the OPPOs and seems to be missing with it is an optional all-region module for DVDs and some Blu-ray discs which is so handy when you have foreign origin discs.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
It's looks like an interesting product, but another feature which is available with the OPPOs and seems to be missing with it is an optional all-region module for DVDs and some Blu-ray discs which is so handy when you have foreign origin discs.
Most players can be region unlocked FWIW. Havent looked in a while, but it used to be just entering the SM or a simple button combo was all that was needed.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
The 1 and only reason I became an Oppo customer was the vertical stretch feature for a CIH screen. I don't see a mention of it, but if this has it that would make it a good replacement in my book. I recently abandoned my CIH screen so no longer have the need, but others might.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I'm hoping it will and bring more players to the market from people like Denon Marantz Integra and Sony ES.
I miss having choices when buying a high quality Blu Ray player which basically stopped at DVD. Since Blu Ray came out I have seen a huge fall off in nice offered players.
I can't imagine just streaming which I guess is cool on many levels but I still hold on to physical media.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
One other great feature the Oppo had was the ability to move subtitles up into the picture frame. This was super-useful for folks using anamorphic lenses. I don't know any other player that can do this.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
One other great feature the Oppo had was the ability to move subtitles up into the picture frame. This was super-useful for folks using anamorphic lenses. I don't know any other player that can do this.
Wow I didn't know it could do that. That makes total sense.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Maybe just maybe Oppo is out of the business only to make a comeback next quarter. Maybe just maybe this is a way to get everyone to jump on a player so they can sell out all current stock and then come out with the next latest and greatest player.
Imagine that for a minute.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe just maybe Oppo is out of the business only to make a comeback next quarter. Maybe just maybe this is a way to get everyone to jump on a player so they can sell out all current stock and then come out with the next latest and greatest player.
Imagine that for a minute.
Like a mattress company going out of business sale? :)

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I surfed the internet for information about this player and read that it is made for audiophiles. Interestingly enough, while there is mention that the player spins SACDs, there is no statement regarding the unit being able to play multi-channel SACDs. This omission makes me skeptical, since 1. if it can play multi-channel SACDs you would think that Pioneer would have enough sense to spell it out in their marketing propaganda and 2. if the player does not play multi-channel SACDs then the statement about this player being made for audiophiles is baloney. Bottom-line, it better play multi-channel SACDs via HDMI or audiophiles will pass on it.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
In History Pioneer Elite Player that Played SACD played Multi channel so I gotta a good feeling this unit is no different especially over HDMI

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis