Onkyo TX-NR6100 vs Pioneer Elite VSX-LX105

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
I can get both of these for the same price. I previously had an Onkyo TX-NR6050 that I hated in everyway, sound quality was bad, functionality was bad, as feature layouts.

I'm hoping these above 2 receivers don't share the shortcomings of the 6050 but while Onkyo support told me the 6050 was not closely the same as the 6100, most forum threads share they are with the exclusion of the THX.

The reason I'm considering the replacement for my Denon AVR-S960H is that it needs repair after 1-1/2 years and I'm disappointed it's not going to Denon but a distant, state away, repair shop.

Thought about the Yamaha RX-V6A and RX-A2A but these aren't compatible with 8K60p uncompressed, like Onkyo, Pioneer, and Denon are.

The Pioneer Elite 105 looks like a model similar to the Onkyo RX line, above the NR line, but the Onkyo will match my Onkyo 6 CD player and like keeping things similar. I also don't like Pioneer Elite's Input select button because they ran out of input buttons on the remote to use their 3 preset buttons.

PIoneer Elite looks superior with longer 3 year warranty but Onkyo looks like a better match for usability. Just hoping both aren't as bad as the awful 6050.

What's the better receiver, 6100 or 105?

Thanks

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I can get both of these for the same price. I previously had an Onkyo TX-NR6050 that I hated in everyway, sound quality was bad, functionality was bad, as feature layouts.

I'm hoping these above 2 receivers don't share the shortcomings of the 6050 but while Onkyo support told me the 6050 was not closely the same as the 6100, most forum threads share they are with the exclusion of the THX.

The reason I'm considering the replacement for my Denon AVR-S960H is that it needs repair after 1-1/2 years and I'm disappointed it's not going to Denon but a distant, state away, repair shop.

Thought about the Yamaha RX-V6A and RX-A2A but these aren't compatible with 8K60p uncompressed, like Onkyo, Pioneer, and Denon are.

The Pioneer Elite 105 looks like a model similar to the Onkyo RX line, above the NR line, but the Onkyo will match my Onkyo 6 CD player and like keeping things similar. I also don't like Pioneer Elite's Input select button because they ran out of input buttons on the remote to use their 3 preset buttons.

PIoneer Elite looks superior with longer 3 year warranty but Onkyo looks like a better match for usability. Just hoping both aren't as bad as the awful 6050.

What's the better receiver, 6100 or 105?

Thanks
Thats easy...the Pioneer.
(and you are totally wrong about the remote...look closely at it)
Having a quick sub level adjustment is very useful also.

6405452_sd.jpg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
They are slightly different remote controllers and some will prefer one over the other. In both cases, the playback buttons are too small.

The Onkyo TX-NR6050 was originally sold as a Costco exclusive with a few tweaks from the TX-NR6100 and a lower price. Save for the lack of THX and a claimed 90w ch vs 100w ch, they are the same in every way.
IMG_4791.jpeg

IMG_4790.jpeg

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
The input select button cycles through the Phono, CD, Aux, USB, HDMI5, and HDMI 6 inputs on the Pioneer.

The Onkyo doesn't have presets 1, 2, and 3 and uses dedicated buttons for all the inputs.

Why do you recommend the Pioneer? Does it offer something significant over the Onkyo other than 1 year longer warranty, separate power cable, IR in, 12v trigger and RS232? It does lose THX that the Onkyo has.

Thanks.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Well I bought the Onkyo TX-NR6100. It was under $500 from an authorized retailer plus has a 60 day return policy if I decide to return it.

With price and return policy, hard to pass on this.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Good deal. There may be a few settings differences in the menus and of course the THX settings which include the ability to select Absolute or Relative volume level display. The Dolby 5.1 surround signal to surround back speakers behavior will still be present.:confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis