JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Sad, job relocation ? why move ?
There are a number of reasons that have conspired to make the move happen. Moving away from a state where my child is allergic to everything, and to a state where I can actually get medical care (find a pediatric neuro ophthalmologist in FL; there are almost none) are two of them.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
You just need to do a simple search to find the same info I did- copy and paste it. I didn't make this poop up.
OK. Did a simple search. Based on all credible sources; they have been consistent and forthright.

Wow: these conversations are fast when I'm both sides of them.

Sorry about you being wrong there.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Once again, you're referring to, in your words, "the whole market". I'm referring to the local market and wrote that but you ignored it.
You don't argue the same thing two sentences in a row. That's been a repeating problem. You seem to think that it's a "win" if people just don't notice.

With the growing list of insurers dropping FLA homes, I don't know why the decrease is surprising. How much hurricane damage do they have to cover before they give up?
So you *aren't* talking about your local market?

You also don't understand why insurance companies have left FL (it has little to do with Hurricanes). It has to do with FL law and how insurance companies are on the hook (and vulnerable to expensive nuisance suits) for basically everything. Is your roof getting old? That's an insurance claim.

The amount of fraud isn't helping; but we are far more concerns with harming Disney (our state's largest employer) and bussing immigrants from Texas to Maryland to bother fixing what's harming our citizens.

Good thing you aren't closer to Ft Myers- Hurricane Ian really tore that area up.
$6.8 billion in damage.

There's 10 million homes in FL paying $10k year on average; so insurance companies collect around $100 billion per year. So Ian would have cost around 7% of that year's premiums (except less because deductibles).

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Well, wife and I are voting Democratic. It is nice to hear that Trump is back, with immunity in question. lol So long to our Republican Supreme court. Comments welcome.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
There are a number of reasons that have conspired to make the move happen. Moving away from a state where my child is allergic to everything, and to a state where I can actually get medical care (find a pediatric neuro ophthalmologist in FL; there are almost none) are two of them.
a more dry climate perhaps, someplace out west ?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
a more dry climate perhaps, someplace out west ?
Just somewhere that lacks the specific tree and grass she is allergic to.

We've eliminated most of the middle US based on climate and access to healthcare. The western US is a timezone problem. My company is on ET and I don't like mornings.

Also: being from FL, I'm priced out of California and the populated portions of WA. I just don't have the wealth that I would have if I had gone through my career in CA (for example).

My advice to the younglings: go work in the most expensive place you like. You can always move (or retire to) somewhere less expensive; but you can't easily move to more expensive.

Also: many prices are fixed. A car costs about the same in San Francisco (where companies pay way more money to employees) as it does in Mississippi. Your ability to travel and shop and retire on X% of your income is far better if you live somewhere where pay is high (which is usually where it's expensive).

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Sadly yes. They built this little community in the middle of the Florida wildlife corridor. It's right next to the interstate (which was otherwise all built out), it's got the best schools around (and unlike the new divisions isn't over crowded). I've got an oversized lot and a layout I love. I back up to HOA-owned forest that backs up to SWFMUD forest. I have a beautiful oak in my backyard that made me pick the lot. And I got to build it the way I want (There's almost 200k in upgrades in the house).

And I'm not getting nearly what I or the appraiser feel this should go for. Everyone seems to be waiting on interest rates; so it's selling for less than the same house new (mine is 6 years old) 30 min farther from everything, in the bad school zone, on a lot that backs up to another house, without my solar, or my powerwalls, or even many of my structural changes.

Sorry for the vent. Just really sad about it. I had planned to live here at least until the kids left and possibly long past; and now I have to move to where I've yet to find a house design that isn't stupid, and pay double the interest rate (who wanted to retire while alive anyway, huh?).

Bonus: if the market does crash after I buy, since I'm in a more expensive house (more expensive area), I'll be harmed more :)
WOW ... feel very sorry for you Jerry :oops:

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
It's hot, and cold, and two timezones over, and lacks the work and medical infrastructure of New England.
What about western PA? I live in St Augustine now but was born in Pittsburgh. Plenty of medical infrastructure and mostly moderate temps but with some humidity. Not my cup of tea anymore but more affordable than most of New England.

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
What about western PA? I live in St Augustine now but was born in Pittsburgh. Plenty of medical infrastructure and mostly temperate temps but with some humidity. Not my cup of tea anymore but more affordable than most of New England.
PA is a possibility. I certainly considered it and I cannot rule out re-pointing myself there. Right now, it's MD.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
This is the view from where I do live (from my veranda)
real photo with no mods and no touchups!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
PA is a possibility. I certainly considered it and I cannot rule out re-pointing myself there. Right now, it's MD.
I've lived in and out of Pa since 1968, high school and college years spent here and finished my RR career here as well. I've traveled to 49 of the 50 states, one could do worse than Pa. Taxes aren't that bad and unlike the morons in NY we don't tax food or clothing, plus I'm 25 mins from tax free Delaware. My wife, a retired school teacher benefits from a very good pension plan here in Pa.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Real? Not AI? Refreshing. :) :) :)
Very nice
Real photo at around 5am at night, this place is simply amaaaaaaazing
I love, love, love, love living here :cool:

No AI, No refreshing :cool:
The photo is unmodified, shot with a Nothingphone 50 Megapixel camera
The only thing I did was to crop, cutting off top and bottom slightly !

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Real photo at around 5am at night, this place is simply amaaaaaaazing
I love, love, love, love living here :cool:

No AI, No refreshing :cool:
The photo is unmodified, shot with a Nothingphone 50 Megapixel camera
The only thing I did was to crop, cutting off top and bottom slightly !
What I meant by refreshing is that it is refreshing to see a real picture, not AI or :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis