Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
well, unless you have a candidate who want enact Gov't price controls ........... ;)
You really can't stop whining about whoever is in the Democratic ticket like that other poster that talks about Camala insertion that means penetration in incel speak?

You got your stated wish of President Biden of not running, so here you are, yet again.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Over here, we measure prices very much according to price per square meter, which is one of the real main measures

So when I bought my flat at 88 square meters (947 sq.foot) for NOK 6 million ($ 565.000) the price would be about 947$ per square foot, right now I reckon the value is possibly exceeding $800K, which is closing up on $850 peer square foot.... are you doing similar things in the US?

The craziest prices in Oslo, capital of Norway exceeds NOK 185.000 per square meter, which means a 2000 square foot apartment would go for $3.2+ million ... that flat would easily cost $20K+ per month in fixed expenses; yes it´s way crazy over here too some places.

So can we blaim blaim Trump or Biden or Harris for insane US prices?
it´s a global phenomenon.

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Over here, we measure prices very much according to price per square meter, which is one of the real main measures
The problem with that is that the land is a thing that exists... and that construction costs don't scale in a linear way. As an easy example: the roof costs on a 100m^2 single-floor, and a 300m^2 tri-floor are identical.

Per-square-meter costs to build decrease as the number of square meters increase and land costs are their own thing (why some areas build up and others don't is because the cost increases as you go up (to some extent)

I wish I could sell my house for the average per-ft^2 in my region.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
So can we blaim blaim Trump or Biden or Harris for insane US prices?
it´s a global phenomenon.
The simple answer is that it's not simple. There are a huge number of factors that combine to effect prices. The government plays a role; though whether you want to blame the executive, legislative, or even Judicial (who likes to tell the regulatory agencies that are trying to help that they aren't allowed to) you'd be both right and wrong... and the underlying factors exist at both national and local levels.

For some areas, it's as simple as "it's filled with rich people"... unless you want to blame the government for not socializing housing. Then there are pandemic-related costs. There're supply problems that are a mix of under-building and also corporate buy-ins.

There're issues like the fact that one makes more money building an expensive house than a cheap one; so where builders have focused are larger / more expensive houses which are also lower volume.

Gads: could spend a week on what's gotten us here.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The simple answer is that it's not simple. There are a huge number of factors that combine to effect prices.
agreed

The government plays a role,
and in this case the willy nilly hand out of $$ during the pandemic help set the stage

Then there are pandemic-related costs. There're supply problems
pent up consumers with $$ in their pockets to burn, supply chain issues to not meet demand = a recipe for inflation..........

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
and in this case the willy nilly hand out of $$ during the pandemic help set the stage
I think that too is over-simplified. The money was intended to soften a collapse, and it did that. Did it create upward pressure relative to what would have happened without it? Sure.

But by the same token you could say people not losing their jobs set the stage.

pent up consumers with $$ in their pockets to burn, supply chain issues to not meet demand = a recipe for inflation..........
Not really. There was a spike at the end of the pandemic, similar to the dip during it; but that's more than offset by the post-pandemic drop.

I'm not saying that played no role at all; but it doesn't appear to be a major driver of anything beyond (what it was intended to do) preventing a collapse.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I think that too is over-simplified. The money was intended to soften a collapse, and it did that. Did it create upward pressure relative to what would have happened without it? Sure.

But by the same token you could say people not losing their jobs set the stage.

Not really. There was a spike at the end of the pandemic, similar to the dip during it; but that's more than offset by the post-pandemic drop.

I'm not saying that played no role at all; but it doesn't appear to be a major driver of anything beyond (what it was intended to do) preventing a collapse.
my statement was not limited to home sales and as for the 'willy nilly' portion, IT WAS ! Both my wife and I were sent unsolicited checks. We didn't need the $$ at all but we were glad to donate it to our favorite charity

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The problem with that is that the land is a thing that exists... and that construction costs don't scale in a linear way. As an easy example: the roof costs on a 100m^2 single-floor, and a 300m^2 tri-floor are identical.

Per-square-meter costs to build decrease as the number of square meters increase and land costs are their own thing (why some areas build up and others don't is because the cost increases as you go up (to some extent)

I wish I could sell my house for the average per-ft^2 in my region.
yeah .... it doesn´t scale linearly, but it does more or less when you have flats, which is predominant many places here, whenever you come to detached houses, there are tons of other parameters but for flats it works not so bad. but then again there are other parameters like location, locatopn, location, building standards ......

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The simple answer is that it's not simple. There are a huge number of factors that combine to effect prices. The government plays a role; though whether you want to blame the executive, legislative, or even Judicial (who likes to tell the regulatory agencies that are trying to help that they aren't allowed to) you'd be both right and wrong... and the underlying factors exist at both national and local levels.

For some areas, it's as simple as "it's filled with rich people"... unless you want to blame the government for not socializing housing. Then there are pandemic-related costs. There're supply problems that are a mix of under-building and also corporate buy-ins.

There're issues like the fact that one makes more money building an expensive house than a cheap one; so where builders have focused are larger / more expensive houses which are also lower volume.

Gads: could spend a week on what's gotten us here.
My point is that neither Trump, Biden, Harris or any other politician has the power to control prices and inflation, it is insanely complex, and the war in Ukraine is a big factor on what is happening with the economy now. .... I am not expert on this but the belief that changing politician leadership will fix the economic issues is like believing in Sznta Claus o_O

T

trochetier

Audioholic
My point is that neither Trump, Biden, Harris or any other politician has the power to control prices and inflation, it is insanely complex, and the war in Ukraine is a big factor on what is happening with the economy now. .... I am not expert on this but the belief that changing politician leadership will fix the economic issues is like believing in Sznta Claus o_O
Changing politicians can/may help in counteracting inflation. One contributor of this inflation was the $1.2B unneeded stimulus that Biden pumped into the economy as soon as he assumed office. This he did against the advice of several well regarded economists like Larry Summers.

D

David_Alexander

Audioholic Intern
Changing politicians can/may help in counteracting inflation. One contributor of this inflation was the $1.2B unneeded stimulus that Biden pumped into the economy as soon as he assumed office. This he did against the advice of several well regarded economists like Larry Summers.
Both Trump and Biden pumped trillions into the US economy.

It one of the reasons true Republicans despise Trump, who is the real RINO.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
IMHO, one of the main reasons we are here now is because politicians in the west did not dare to act, including Obama….. ruzzia should have been stopped in 2014 when invading Donbas and Krimea, but we were all too coward.

we would not have had the full scale war, insane suffering and crazy economics that come with this. The only way to stop putler is by brute force. The west did not seem to not fully comprehend this or we gave in to his terror politics!

Certainly, Biden does not seem to have the guts to stop putler.
It also seemingly is being said inside the White House that US should not support Ukraine so much that they win the war.... as long as we do have war, I think there will also be this crazy economics.

Not so simple but I think precondition for getting back to somewhat normal is at least to end the insane current wars

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
And it'snot even finished, so occupancy won't be possible for months.
Where I live, there are lots of new flatblocks being built, with maybe 30+ flats in each, really cool and nice, great standard, lots of seafront apts.
most of them sold 1 year+ before being finished, sell way fast !!!!

Big demand for flats as people are selling out on their detached houses, targeting flats which are way less maintenance intensive and may serve for a higher standard of living :cool:

No garden to fix, no roof to maintain and upgrade, not needing to paint walls, the necessary maintenance outsourced to 3rd party....

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
IMHO, one of the main reasons we are here now is because politicians in the west did not dare to act, including Obama….. ruzzia should have been stopped in 2014 when invading Donbas and Krimea, but we were all too coward.

we would not have had the full scale war, insane suffering and crazy economics that come with this. The only way to stop putler is by brute force. The west did not seem to not fully comprehend this or we gave in to his terror politics!

Certainly, Biden does not seem to have the guts to stop putler.
It also seemingly is being said inside the White House that US should not support Ukraine so much that they win the war.... as long as we do have war, I think there will also be this crazy economics.

Not so simple but I think precondition for getting back to somewhat normal is at least to end the insane current wars
And if commie-la Harris wins the election, it’s not going to improve.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
And if commie-la Harris wins the election, it’s not going to improve.
Possibly you are right!
But Trump would be a disaster!

It may actually very well be that the only one who really have courage to face putler ..... is Trump

Catch-22

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis