cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
And in spite of all this, economy grows, crops are harvested, hotel rooms cleaned, etc. How did Ronal Reagan solve the issue?
Oh in 1986 he signed a bill that basically let any immigrant who'd entered the country before 1982 to be eligible for amnesty. It is widely seen as the failure of Reagan's 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act. Regans on words " "I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and lived here, even though sometime back they may have entered illegally," he said. "

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
So true, building walls only forces the people to look for other ways. IT fixes nothing. If these people want to get into this country and work, get a work visa, if they want to be citizens, come in legally and apply for citizenship. To be a citizen of the US
  • ) Lawful permanent resident of the U.S.
  • 2) You must be 18 years old.
  • 3) You must have resided for three months in the state where you will apply for U.S. citizenship.
  • 4) Continuous residency and physical presence in the U.S.
  • 5) You must be a person of good moral character
  • 6) and have $760 for the fee and of course you have to pass the test.
LOL. It's nowhere near as simple as you make it sound. It's not like meeting the criteria above means you get citizenship (never mind the permanent resident requirements).

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
It should be changed to prevent convicted felons running for president. How he's able to run after his convictions is simply mind boggling.
In my state, you'd be allowed to own a gun (2A after all) and you'd be allowed to run for office, but you wouldn't likely be allowed to vote.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, but not for being a convicted felon. The attempts to throw Trump off the ballot was using the insurrection clause in the 14th amendment, which does not require a conviction in court.
SCotUS decided that the state cannot enforce the constitution within their own state, even though the 14th charges the states with the same responsibilities.

SCotUS said "Allowing states to enforce Section 3 for federal candidates could result in a scenario in which “a single candidate would be declared ineligible in some States, but not others, based on the same conduct "

Now the GOP is mulling over suing in each state to try to get the states to disqualify Harris.

No hypocrisy is too hypocritical it seems. When it was a state removing Trump, states couldn't be allowed because sedition. When it's Harris because presumptive nominee dropped out, they want the states to act.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
LOL. It's nowhere near as simple as you make it sound. It's not like meeting the criteria above means you get citizenship (never mind the permanent resident requirements).
Of course its not simple and I didn't make it out to be. Of note in 2023 " Among the top five countries of birth for people naturalizing in FY 2023, Mexico was the lead country, with 12.7% of all naturalizations, followed by India (6.7%), the Philippines (5.1%), the Dominican Republic (4.0%), and Cuba (3.8%). The top five countries of birth comprised 32% of the naturalized citizens in FY 2023. ". Approximately 878,500 immigrants became U.S. citizens in fiscal year (FY) 2023 . So its taking place which means people who want to be citizens follow the guidelines.

About 100,300 naturalization petitions were denied in FY 2023, a 10 percent drop from the 111,600 petitions denied in FY 2022. The number of denials in FY 2022 and FY 2023 were the highest since the late 2000s.Jul 10, 2024 per the USCIS.gov.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
SCotUS decided that the state cannot enforce the constitution within their own state, even though the 14th charges the states with the same responsibilities.

SCotUS said "Allowing states to enforce Section 3 for federal candidates could result in a scenario in which “a single candidate would be declared ineligible in some States, but not others, based on the same conduct "

Now the GOP is mulling over suing in each state to try to get the states to disqualify Harris.

No hypocrisy is too hypocritical it seems. When it was a state removing Trump, states couldn't be allowed because sedition. When it's Harris because presumptive nominee dropped out, they want the states to act.
Just so. I read and watched with interest the various state attempts to bar Trump as a candidate as it unfolded and sympathized with it. But (you knew that word would pop up) I certainly understand the reasoning of eligibility of federal offices to not be decided by states alone.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Just so. I read and watched with interest the various state attempts to bar Trump as a candidate as it unfolded and sympathized with it. But (you knew that word would pop up) I certainly understand the reasoning of eligibility of federal offices to not be decided by states alone.
Except that's exactly how it was designed. The electors, and the senators and the representatives... they are agents from the state to the federation. This isn't a sovereign nation, but a federation of sovereign states (that's why the president is decided by the electoral college, not the voters).

Why wouldn't a state be able to exercise control over their electors the same as they do over their senators?

Indeed: for a very long time, the states got to chose all the rules of their election. Whether women could vote. What the voting age was and so on.

Note as well: the rules to get on the ballot in each state are *already* different. Every election will have candidates in some states but not others. I haven't seen any movement to throw those laws out or overrule the state in that regard.

If we want to have a national election: Great. I'm all for it. Every vote counts and the person with the most votes wins. But as long as we are having state elections (which is what's happening, we are electing reps for the electoral college), it *should* be up to the state (at least within the limitations imposed by the constitution).

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Demand for better life on the part of migrants.
Well like they do around Fla, the migrants get a workers visa and work , go home with pay, come back work some more . All legal. H-1B visa holders can apply for extensions for up to three years at a time, with a maximum total stay of six years. L-1 visa holders can also apply for extensions, but the total stay cannot exceed five years for L-1B and seven years for L-1A.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Well like they do around Fla, the migrants get a workers visa and work , go home with pay, come back work some more . All legal. H-1B visa holders can apply for extensions for up to three years at a time, with a maximum total stay of six years. L-1 visa holders can also apply for extensions, but the total stay cannot exceed five years for L-1B and seven years for L-1A.
I can't find the video; but there's one of a FL state representative trying to assure farmers they wouldn't *really* enforce the state immigration laws.

OTOH: FL was spending taxpayers dollars to bus immigrants from TX to up north (not from FL).

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I can't find the video; but there's one of a FL state representative trying to assure farmers they wouldn't *really* enforce the state immigration laws.

OTOH: FL was spending taxpayers dollars to bus immigrants from TX to up north (not from FL).

An informative article but nary a word about employers exploiting illegal immigrants.

It’s similar in Sweden with temporary immigrants, say, from Asia, coming here to pick berries and are exploited as well as stiffed. Finally the government are cracking down on the employers but some people complain about price increases.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

I could be wrong but I think it was GOP Rep. Rick Roth, https://www.npr.org/2023/06/07/1180646146/florida-immigration-law-sb-1718-republican-lawmakers
Roth is a farmer as well.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
An informative article but nary a word about employers exploiting illegal immigrants.

It’s similar in Sweden with temporary immigrants, say, from Asia, coming here to pick berries and are exploited as well as stiffed. Finally the government are cracking down on the employers but some people complain about price increases.
Which is a real problem and should be addressed; but separating families, putting people in detention camps, and photo-op bussing them around the country doesn't help them either.

Find me the person working to improve the life of immigrants and I'm there.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
On the other hand, he may see his "miraculous" survival of the attempt on his life as a sign that he is destined to be victorious and will vanquish his enemies. Instead of being cowed, his massive ego was actually given a boost.
There's no miracles if there's no god, and you know he's godless.

Putting your head down to sleep after getting it shot at has to rattle your cage.

He now knows it's not only his guys with the guns. And he knows what they're aiming at.

When's the next rally?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis