Ok NEW PB 4000's this time it's for real Lol

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I do love SVS service. They are the standard that every other company attempts to live up to, but fails miserably more often than not. If he walks you through setup on a Sunday thats pretty dang impressive!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I do love SVS service. They are the standard that every other company attempts to live up to, but fails miserably more often than not. If he walks you through setup on a Sunday thats pretty dang impressive!
Yeah man that's why one of the things that won me over big-time they treat you so great that's for sure. Nothing but the best from them since I ordered the pb 2000's The prime towers and now these. The problem with shipping is you never know when it's gonna arrive so if he's not there I for sure understand. Sunday's a family day. I'll just run the set up and then call him Monday for any questions or ideas he might have. That means I might just have to ruuuun these bad boys tonight! If I do I'll for sure let you guys know!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok in place left furniture sliders on for now for any adjustments etc. I may just keep those sliders on period if it doesn't affect they're performance. Those things are a PAIIIN IN THE ASS to move. What Shady says is spot on. It's the finger length underneath the subs. I could probably even with there weight move them in place by waddling them along the carpet. But you can't get no dang grip! Here's a pic
2018-09-15 20.22.56.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok so I'm just going to stick to facts straight up observations or else I'll be gushing and taking for ever.
Ran Audyssey did my first calibration.
Interesting results. It did an exceptional job on distance and timing.
It had some quirks on the crossovers set all speakers to 40hz Figured it would do that that's normal for it to get timing and distance but be off some on speakers and subs.
Set the subs level at +2.5 volume at -20. Figured it would do that just not in the + direction.
It set L -1.0 C -1.5 R -1.0 SR -2.5 SBR -3.0 SL -2.0 SBL -2.0
Id been running them flat at 0 and crossed at 80 Hz before the subs came just for fun. Well see if they need to be tweaked but so far I liked what it did.
Contacted SVS about the sub reading they recommended moving it to -4 on the reciever and the volume up to -15 on the subs.
Set it and popped in blade runner 2049 just to get an initial baseline on actual sound next post is observations.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ok in place left furniture sliders on for now for any adjustments etc. I may just keep those sliders on period if it doesn't affect they're performance. Those things are a PAIIIN IN THE ASS to move. What Shady says is spot on. It's the finger length underneath the subs. I could probably even with there weight move them in place by waddling them along the carpet. But you can't get no dang grip! Here's a picView attachment 25802
All the audio gear makes the tv look small. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ok so I'm just going to stick to facts straight up observations or else I'll be gushing and taking for ever.
Ran Audyssey did my first calibration.
Interesting results. It did an exceptional job on distance and timing.
It had some quirks on the crossovers set all speakers to 40hz Figured it would do that that's normal for it to get timing and distance but be off some on speakers and subs.
Set the subs level at +2.5 volume at -20. Figured it would do that just not in the + direction.
It set L -1.0 C -1.5 R -1.0 SR -2.5 SBR -3.0 SL -2.0 SBL -2.0
Id been running them flat at 0 and crossed at 80 Hz before the subs came just for fun. Well see if they need to be tweaked but so far I liked what it did.
Contacted SVS about the sub reading they recommended moving it to -4 on the reciever and the volume up to -15 on the subs.
Set it and popped in blade runner 2049 just to get an initial baseline on actual sound next post is observations.
Is this a Denon AVR?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Observations oh boy. Try not to gush.
I got a feeling I'll be running the bass a little hotter in final tweaking? But not much.
Holy poop man. They hit HARD. But so CLEEEEAAAAN. No distortion no rattles in the house just clean clean bass that's perfect to the source. I mean perfect. Every detail every nuance and it's like they are not there till BAM!!!! They smack you in the face. But while they're smacking you? They're so CLEAN and detailed you can feel every little caress at the same time you feel the slap. No better way to put it. My PB 2000's could get to some of this level but not to this. And I was definitely overpushing them you can't tell until you hear the difference. Everything on all levels is so CLEAN and crystal clear from speakers to subs. Perfect separation yet perfect integration. And they're not even trying. At -4 on the AV and -15 on the subs? They're not even breaking a sweat. I've got an errand to run when I get back I'll run music then back to movies then tweak setting and let you guys know any other observations. I know I've been stating I might someday get the Rhythmiks? Now I'm wondering why bother? Law of finishing returns really these sound so good why be motivated to get anything better any time soon? I am VERY VERY IMPRESSED with these subs and I've just taken them for one spin around the block. I can't wait to get them tweaked and broken in and get the system settings just right.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Oh and Shady you were right. I didn't even need the isolation feet. When the sub is built well enough heavy enough and the BASS is just so dang CLEAN? Literally all the rattling issues are just not there. I say that speaking only for myself with these particular subs. I'm not saying they won't work forbothers systems and rooms just my experience in mine. What a friggin awesome pair of subs man

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
All the audio gear makes the tv look small. :)
Dude I hit my limit this year but that's the goal for next year. Is an 82 or 85 inch tv. Because your right it looks ridiculous. But with buying the house last year I just cant justify the price right now. I wanted to get the speakers as good as I could and I'm almost there next year tv and 3 ultra towers for the fronts. Then the year after it's amps and separates.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Is this a Denon AVR?
No it's an Onkyo TX-nr809 back when they were still running audyssey and not the new stuff they got in place which frankly I don't think works as well. It's why eventually I plan on switching to Marantz or Denon. Probably Marantz since Im planning for separates. It's a shame because I really like Onkyo's sound but between the HDMI issues which my unit has by the way I just managed to figure out a way around it and the step down from Audyssey I'm probably going to have to go a different direction

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Dude I hit my limit this year but that's the goal for next year. Is an 82 or 85 inch tv. Because your right it looks ridiculous. But with buying the house last year I just cant justify the price right now. I wanted to get the speakers as good as I could and I'm almost there next year tv and 3 ultra towers for the fronts. Then the year after it's amps and separates.
Your priorities on subs first are right in my book. Getting the bass right makes an incredible difference. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
No it's an Onkyo TX-nr809 back when they were still running audyssey and not the new stuff they got in place which frankly I don't think works as well. It's why eventually I plan on switching to Marantz or Denon. Probably Marantz since Im planning for separates. It's a shame because I really like Onkyo's sound but between the HDMI issues which my unit has by the way I just managed to figure out a way around it and the step down from Audyssey I'm probably going to have to go a different direction
Oh I didn’t realize Onkyo used to have audessey. Cool

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Oh I didn’t realize Onkyo used to have audessey. Cool
Yeah I got lucky there the newer models have there own Onkyo made version tho it's not as good in my opinion from what I've experience but that's just my perspective

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay so got back from dinner and launched into some music listening. I'll do a brief list of my favorite songs and why I like them. Then I'll cover what the session revealed.
Song list: Deadmau5 something inside of me electri remix : it has punishing deep bass and also it hits in lower mid range I've bottomed lesser subs out on that bass line. At the same time it has a very fast transient bass hit going on at the same time. Great for brutal yet multilayered fast bass If a system handles this it'll handle anything.
Zack Hemsley don't get in my way: once again multilayered real sharp mid bass drum attack and also a huge deep thick bass line that just pulses underneath everything that's going on above it. Really reveals how a system can handle a lot of activity from high to low
Perfect Circle The package: This song has a huge bass line for a rock song one of the best I've ever heard. But the snare drums and higher mid bass region really gets pushed. A layered challenging song that really has these huge dynamic swings
To not prolong the post here's the rest of the the list without the reasons
Eurielle hate me
Fright Night soundtrack (the eighties classic not the crappy remake) good man in a bad time and give it up the disco remix
Kill Bill volume 1 don't let me be misunderstood and the lonely shephard. The second song heads up a great test for tweeters as well as bass and dynamics. If your tweeters can replicate that flute at reference levels without ringing or brightness man your all good.
There's more but those are my faves to start with. They cover a wide range of bass tests multilayered bass going on at the same time. Some are great for midbass and transients and dynamic swings. A whole bunch of things get challenged. Generally I find once I'm happy with the list all the way through I'm pretty set on blending the subs and it's usually a snap to get movies down after that. Next post observations

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis