Status
Not open for further replies.
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do know how wire works. It's my job. Price is not a factor. Sound quality is.
I believe the dialectic effect is real.
You are just a believer? Wow big surprise. Just another troll salesman? It's spelled dielectric by the way or is it actually "dialectic effect" that you've been sold on? Good grief.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
He is pointing out that sibilance is an over emphasis of frequencies in the 4 KHz to 8 KHz range. That is the octave were sibilance occurs.

For a cable to reduce sibilance it would have to attenuate that octave.

So you or your wife listening to cables cuts no ice with us. You need to show us on a scope and frequency response tests that there is a difference. If there really was a difference it would be easy to measure.

The problem is that audiophhools like you say the difference they hear can not be measured. That is where like you they become lunatic time wasters.

We have had persistent twerps like you before, but we chase them all off in the end.

Twerps, audiophools?
Good one.....................

Last edited:
bigus

bigus

Audioholic
You are just a believer? Wow big surprise. Just another troll salesman? It's spelled dielectric by the way or is it actually "dialectic effect" that you've been sold on? Good grief.
What is the best cable you've heard?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Persistent troll or true believer....hard to tell. Why do you listen to cable? Shoot, how do you listen to cable? That's really weird.
Have you not listened to your cables? They have some fancy stories to tell you about flows of electric charge!

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Common sense tells me that there is a minimum specification for hospitals that states copper and not aluminum. Nothing about silver.
Power companies use aluminum conductors, so I would think that some hospitals do also. Note that it takes special tools, special connectors and trained technicians to use aluminum wire, so they only use it in very large wires.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you not listened to your cables? They have some fancy stories to tell you about flows of electric charge!
Yeah, if my cables could do something interesting like that, or tell some good jokes, it just might make it worthwhile....but some sort of frequency response change, that doesn't sound appealing at all. Then again he can't integrate a sub and he's married to a woman that "hears" things....at least they're a good match.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I will and am. Thanks.
Just out of curiosity, why do you think it's snake oil?
Because someone told you? or have you tested any cables?
I'll be honest with you. I haven't tested any luxury cables. For RCA cables, I've got Radio Shack, Monoprice, Stinger, Kabel Direkt, Monster, and probably a dozen other unbranded cheapos; and not one set of them affects the frequency response of my speakers in the slightest. They still sound like MB Quarts -- which is to say, astounding.

For speaker cables, I'm just using Amazon Basics CCA. I generally recommend Monoprice OFC to others; but since my speakers are only about 6 feet from my receiver I haven't bothered to replace it. (For reference, CCA is about 2/3 as efficient as OFC. This page describes the appropriate gauge of OFC to use for a particular distance.)

For HDMI, my cheap Chinese crap cables have caused exactly 0 artifacts or timing sync losses. This page demonstrates what happens when the quality of HDMI cable doesn't meet the demand.

Optical cables are the same -- as long as they don't disintegrate, I'm happy.

For power cables, since I have no influence over the quality of power from the electric company substation to my wall outlet, I have no reason to believe an exotic cable the last 5 feet of the way would make the slightest difference to anything but my wallet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Someone suggested I not include a comment about her, altho it was the OP that specified she has her own cable hearing thing going on too, that but now that you've quoted it I guess a mod would need to change it but really don't see why. Maybe she should post her side of the story directly, might be interesting.

ps i.e. in reference to mtrycrafts having quoted that part of my previous post.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Power companies use aluminum conductors, so I would think that some hospitals do also. Note that it takes special tools, special connectors and trained technicians to use aluminum wire, so they only use it in very large wires.
Agreed!

The only issue with aluminum is that it had greater thermal expansion and this requires more robust connections.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Agreed!

The only issue with aluminum is that it had greater thermal expansion and this requires more robust connections.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Aluminum connections are also plagued by galvanic action issues. This is where you have to know what you are doing and coat the terminations with the correct potients.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
Just because you believe something doesn't make it true. Man used to believe the Earth was flat until science proved otherwise.

As for dielectric and audio cables:
https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/dielectric-absorption-in-cables-debunked
Just because you folks believe something doesn't make it true either.
prove to me there isn't a difference.........

I don't care about debunked tests. I change direction of a cable after I've broken it in a certain direction. I can hear a difference.....until broken in the other direction.

The improvements in cable design can't be denied. Low voltage data cable is a good example with higher transfer speeds.

FWIW I'm not a dealer. I am an electrician though.

Last edited:
bigus

bigus

Audioholic
Yeah, if my cables could do something interesting like that, or tell some good jokes, it just might make it worthwhile....but some sort of frequency response change, that doesn't sound appealing at all. Then again he can't integrate a sub and he's married to a woman that "hears" things....at least they're a good match.
Ya but she liked the Chord Cadenza. She also liked the dual Paradigms. She likes her bass and doesn't care about detail. I care about detail and bass. Tight bass. Have you ever been to a concert?
You won't find sloppy bass there..
The Nordost stay......... The Tannoy's stay without the subs.......

Last edited:
bigus

bigus

Audioholic
I'll be honest with you. I haven't tested any luxury cables. For RCA cables, I've got Radio Shack, Monoprice, Stinger, Kabel Direkt, Monster, and probably a dozen other unbranded cheapos; and not one set of them affects the frequency response of my speakers in the slightest. They still sound like MB Quarts -- which is to say, astounding.

For speaker cables, I'm just using Amazon Basics CCA. I generally recommend Monoprice OFC to others; but since my speakers are only about 6 feet from my receiver I haven't bothered to replace it. (For reference, CCA is about 2/3 as efficient as OFC. This page describes the appropriate gauge of OFC to use for a particular distance.)

For HDMI, my cheap Chinese crap cables have caused exactly 0 artifacts or timing sync losses. This page demonstrates what happens when the quality of HDMI cable doesn't meet the demand.

Optical cables are the same -- as long as they don't disintegrate, I'm happy.

For power cables, since I have no influence over the quality of power from the electric company substation to my wall outlet, I have no reason to believe an exotic cable the last 5 feet of the way would make the slightest difference to anything but my wallet.

It's just a hobby. All is good as long as it sounds good to you. I wanted the best the sound I could have so I looked at other options.
I feel I have the gear I want and like. Cables were the next step. I never thought they would make a difference.
I was wrong. This is my personal experience.
It does start with a good power source. As long as you have no artifacts or synch issues with HDMI, I would say your good. My posts are mostly for 2 channel and cables for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis