Status
Not open for further replies.
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nah, look at the threads Bigus has started on AVS....completely different. Unless its his alter ego of sorts....

What happened to our bigus, a hit and run with this and the "3-way" speaker thread?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Nah, look at the threads Bigus has started on AVS....completely different. Unless its his alter ego of sorts....

What happened to our bigus, a hit and run with this and the "3-way" speaker thread?
He did reply yesterday #37.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
I did miss that, thanks. @bigus still has a very flawed testing method and has likely read too much sales bs on the subject to start with. Maybe should review the former McIntosh designer's wire page http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
I've never posted at AVS.
My testing method is listen to some music, change the cord and listen some more.
I know my system, I know the songs and I know how they sound with the current cables.
I'm not sure what testing method you use.
If I like a cable I will buy it. If I don't, then back it goes and I'm not out any money.
I just happened to buy the Nordost because I liked them. I think they are excellent cables.

The owner of the shop I bought my cables from did not tell me what to expect or try to sell me on the cables.
I did the research very carefully online and went in to ask him if he would lend me a demo set.
He said sure and off I went.

Have you ever went into an audio store and listened to a setup and say " damn I wish my system sounded that good"?
That's where I want to be and I think decent cables are a big part of that.
I feel I'm closer by upgrading my cables.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
My testing method is listen to some music, change the cord and listen some more.
I know my system, I know the songs and I know how they sound with the current cables.
Thanks for confirming your sighted, biased method.
Perhaps that is all you need to come to a preference.
That is all you can say, period.
You have no idea if there is an audible difference between cables or not.
Knowing your system or music doesn't help with that. Subconscious bias is at work; you have no control over it.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Can we see a review or comparison to Blue Jeans cable?
You can compare the specified inductance and capacitance to some BJC wire measured here. From what I'm seeing, the White Lightning is a 16AWG cable, so resistance will be quite a bit higher than the 10AWG BJC wire. Inductance of the Nordost is a bit higher, but capacitance is lower.

If you're looking for a subjective comparison, I'm not aware of any around these parts for Nordost vs BJC. OTOH, you might find this comparo interesting.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If I like a cable I will buy it. If I don't, then back it goes and I'm not out any money.
I just happened to buy the Nordost because I liked them. I think they are excellent cables.

The owner of the shop I bought my cables from did not tell me what to expect or try to sell me on the cables.
I did the research very carefully online and went in to ask him if he would lend me a demo set.

Have you ever went into an audio store and listened to a setup and say " damn I wish my system sounded that good"?
What is the rest of your gear? 3-way speakers in a 2.0 system I can glean from your other thread, but what is the whole setup?

Cables are more important to you than speakers/room acoustics? Why on earth would you think there is some improvement in wire? Wire has been around for a long time, no magic there except in the basic electronic aspects. I don't go into audio stores. My system sounds awesome. I use subs and 2 and 2.5 way speakers, too. Nordost just strikes me as a cable charlatan....if they seem sane to you then go ahead and buy their stuff!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Did you even check the post #19 ?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Decent cables, yes. Blue Jeans Cable are good quality at a fair price, not cheap. Broadcast quality, what more could you ask for?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I say go ahead and spend as much money as you like on cables. If they sound better to you, and you have money to burn it's your system and your choice. I wouldn't begrudge anyone for spending $500 to $50,000 on cables.

In fact I'm envious because for that top money I'd have a different motorcycle for every type of riding I do and still enjoy my sound system immensely with my $27.50 homemade speaker cables.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
What is the rest of your gear? 3-way speakers in a 2.0 system I can glean from your other thread, but what is the whole setup?

Cables are more important to you than speakers/room acoustics? Why on earth would you think there is some improvement in wire? Wire has been around for a long time, no magic there except in the basic electronic aspects. I don't go into audio stores. My system sounds awesome. I use subs and 2 and 2.5 way speakers, too. Nordost just strikes me as a cable charlatan....if they seem sane to you then go ahead and buy their stuff!
I spent more on room acoustic setup than I care to admit.
I have a difficult L-shaped room. It took me years and a lot of money on speakers to realize that rear ported speakers don't work for my room. I needed front or down firing ports to get the imaging I needed.
Once that was done I spent many hours moving the speakers to get the sound stage and imaging to blend right. Tannoy's and Nordost Red Dawn Speaker cables helped a lot. I did not go with room treatment because every step I took, I knew I could get there without it.
I have. Cables were the last and final touch to the sound I was looking for.

Just to be on the same page, I'm talking about 2 channel. My home theater setup was obviously easier to set up with the room correction. I still use Nordost to feed my home theater pass through.

I have three systems. 2 channel, home theatre and my outdoor system.

2 channel: PrimaLuna Prologue Preamp, PrimaLuna Dialogue 4, Marantz CD6005, Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6V2, Teac Ud301 Dac, Pioneer PLX1000 TT with Leahmann Black Cube phono pre amp.

HT: Marantz Sr7007, Oppo BDP-93, Epson 3020 Projector, 92" Screen

Outdoor: 2x Crown XLS 1000, 2x Peavy PVX15, Emotiva pre, Cambridge audio Topaz CD

Tannoy XT8F fronts, Martin Logan Encore Centre, True Audio inwall Rears, 2x Paradigm Seismic 110 subs

Nordost White Lightning Feeding the sources. Nordost Red Dawn Speaker Cables.
Nordost Red Dawn between Pre and Amp
Nordost Blue Heaven Power Cords feeding Sources. Nordost Red Dawn feeding Main.
PS Audio Dectet Power Bar, PS audio AC 5 feeding Amp and Pre Amp.

Not exactly high end, but I'm happy.........

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Two ch or twenty ch its just gear. So why do you expect wire to be different? Just spending money on it and reading silly reviews and marketing info and whatnot?

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
Two ch or twenty ch its just gear. So why do you expect wire to be different? Just spending money on it and reading silly reviews and marketing info and whatnot?
I didn't expect the wire to make a difference at all.
But it did....
And yes I spent the money, because I thought it was worth it.
It was...

Don't believe everything you read on the forums. I didn't.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you had some really crappy stuff in the first place? I'm just not understanding how there could be an audible difference otherwise.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
So you had some really crappy stuff in the first place? I'm just not understanding how there could be an audible difference otherwise.
I started out like everyone else. The best interconnects from pre to amp before my recent cables were Energy digital coax. Directional 75 ohm cables.

The biggest difference I notice is sibilance in the low end cords.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I started out like everyone else. The best interconnects from pre to amp before my recent cables were Energy digital coax. Directional 75 ohm cables.

The biggest difference I notice is sibilance in the low end cords.
What is a low end cord? How does it differ from the fairy dust Nordost sells?

ps What do you mean by directional?

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
What is a low end cord? How does it differ from the fairy dust Nordost sells?

ps What do you mean by directional?
Low end is what you make it...........What do you mean by directional......

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Why are you dodging the McGurk effect completely? Also what proof you have for these cables that can be measured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis