New (To Me) Craigslist Scam

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I haven't had any problems with Craig's List .. yet.

I've sold and bought a ton of stuff (cars, audio equipment, speakers, laptops, etc.) and knock on wood, I haven't got screwed. Like any private sale, you have to go the extra mile in checking the product you're buying, check their bona-fides to make sure they are who they say they are and deal in cash (make sure it's not funny money), whenever possible, if you're a seller.

For big-ticket items, like a car, insist on a bankers check and cash it at your local bank (ask a bank officer to double-check the validity of it before leaving) before heading over to the local notary to hand over the title. The same goes if you're a buyer. Verify his/her home address and make note of any promises made on the condition of the car/motorcycle in front of witnesses at the notary's office. Even better write up the terms of the deal and have that notarized too. For a mere $15/$20 bucks it's a bargain for the peace of mind.

If none of those terms are met, just walk away from the deal. You're probably dealing with a shyster.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Yes, the "I don't check my emails so please communicate with me this way" is one I have seen as well so that's fairly common

Question I have for you all based on your experience. Most of my purchases have been ~$500-$600 or cheaper so getting cash is not a big problem but what if you are buying a $2,000 set of speakers? How would you expect to either pay that or receive payment and feel good about it? Getting the cash out I suppose but some might be comfortable with Zelle or Paypal but I'm not sure myself.

On Ebay at least there is a buyer guarantee which is nice.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, the "I don't check my emails so please communicate with me this way" is one I have seen as well so that's fairly common

Question I have for you all based on your experience. Most of my purchases have been ~$500-$600 or cheaper so getting cash is not a big problem but what if you are buying a $2,000 set of speakers? How would you expect to either pay that or receive payment and feel good about it? Getting the cash out I suppose but some might be comfortable with Zelle or Paypal but I'm not sure myself.

On Ebay at least there is a buyer guarantee which is nice.
A speaker all of a sudden isn't gonna fail if you demoed it properly at their house (so you know where they live) and carefully packed it on your way home.

And if the neighborhood looks sketchy, get out of there before going in. If the seller is throwing out bad vibes inside the house, just tell him/her you wanna go outside to have a smoke and skedaddle on out.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Guy responded to my wanted
Ad for BMR speakers , said he had 2 for $1100. i offered to do PayPal but he wanted half in cash first because he didn’t do PayPal. I said NO CASH.

NEVER HEARD FROM AGAIN
Offer in person by police station. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I always enjoy the introductory email asking, "What is your last price?" For you, good scammer (or person too lazy to dicker)? Fifteen percent over my first price!
Tell them, no that is my bottom starting price and bidding up, not down. :D

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Offer in person by police station. :D
I haven't demanded the police station. I pick a Mcdonalds by my house and it works well. However, I did go to a police station to buy my bedroom subwoofers. 2 SVS PB1000's for $500. Not a bad deal after all. But that doesn't allow you to test speakers so you are taking a chance there. I had something go wrong twice but did end up getting money back. Then I swear I won't buy used again, then I do :)

Has anyone ever encountered counterfeit cash? I thought about that but but hope I don't have any of that in my wallet from selling stuff :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Sumbitches...

No, they didn't get me but if I wasn't cautious they might have! I got an inquiry on my speakers already. I'm thinking "wow, that didn't take long...". Then he says he sent me a 6 digit code to verify I'm not a scammer and a legit seller. Huh. Never heard about that one. So I did a quick Google search.

It's a scam. They set up accounts using your phone number, you get a verification code, which they ask for to "prove you're for real" then they use your number for fake CL accounts and scams. Pricks. He stopped replying when I asked when he wanted to meet. I haven't heard of this scam before so I'm sharing it with you guys to spread the word. Oh, the speakers are still for sale...
Good to know. Thanks Pogre!

highfigh

highfigh

That works and luckily the police station is only a 1/2 block away from my house. I've had quite a few buyers drop out after that request. :D
I live less than a mile form the local PD and they have a designated area for this kind of transaction.

I have a duplex and when I was looking for a renter, people would ask where the owner lives. When I told them, they were not interested and neither was I.

highfigh

highfigh

I just got a suspicious email asking me to text them if they're still available because he "doesn't check craigslist emails"...

Then didn't include a phone number, but another email address. Ask me to text you, then give me an email address and no phone number. truck off. Are there any people who actually buy stuff on CL or are they all running some kinda scam??

So many tells. Starting with his wording. "I actually saw your post. That's right for me. Is this your last price? I don't check the email for Craig's List,so, If it is still available then text me at-" followed by an email address. That's it, that's the entire email. No mention of what "it" is or anything else. The way that reply is worded can be recycled and used to inquire about ANYTHING. Weird start to an inquiry too.. "I actually saw your post"...

Well so far, all inquiries about my ad have been some attempt at a scam...
Did you explain hte difference between seeing it and reading/understanding it?

I'm trying to sell a SnapOn tool box and in the ad, I ended with "Make an offer, but don't insult me". I need to change that because it seems to be the first thing they all want to do. Yes, a cheap box holds tools just as well, but this is more solid and it would be much harder to break into. Fortunately, I didn't buy it new- it was $900. I have worked with people with tool carts that sell for $3K and more- they're nice, but for the price of some of the high end ones, I could buy a car. I paid $6200 for a 2005 Astro cargo van in 2011 and it still looks and runs great. Found it on Craig's List.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I live less than a mile form the local PD and they have a designated area for this kind of transaction.

I have a duplex and when I was looking for a renter, people would ask where the owner lives. When I told them, they were not interested and neither was I.
That's a really good idea, the 'designated area'. I'll have to mention it to sarge, up the street. I use the police parking lot anyway for transactions, since they have camera's all over the building.

Nothing personal but I'm glad I didn't go into the housing rental market. I've had my chances and a couple friends wanted to go into partnership but I nixed the idea. I'd heard, and still do, too many horror stories of the 'renters from hell' or the deadbeats. Same goes for vacation rental properties.

My one buddy complains all the time that he's had to put a lawyer on retainer, just for the deadbeats and the pigs who trash the place, beyond the 3 month escrow he insists upon signing. He's making a profit but seems miserable about it. I can do without the agita (Italian heartburn) and I don't react very well to getting stiffed.

No thanks.

surfacetension

surfacetension

Audioholic Intern
Guy responded to my wanted
Ad for BMR speakers , said he had 2 for $1100. i offered to do PayPal but he wanted half in cash first because he didn’t do PayPal. I said NO CASH.

NEVER HEARD FROM AGAIN
Wow that was a generous compromise of him IMO, I personally ONLY accept cash, I would never trust a Paypal or Venmo or whatever. After the deal they tell them the right scammer story somehow exploiting the user terms and they WILL steal your money from your account and there's nothing you'll be able to do about it.

I see Paypal as a necessary evil when using eBay but I'd never ever use it if not absolutely necessary, most especially if I'm the seller. When I sell something (in person) I need to be sure the deal is 100% done at the transfer of goods, and that is simply never the case when you involve Paypal/Venmo/checks/etc.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Wow that was a generous compromise of him IMO, I personally ONLY accept cash, I would never trust a Paypal or Venmo or whatever. After the deal they tell them the right scammer story somehow exploiting the user terms and they WILL steal your money from your account and there's nothing you'll be able to do about it.

I see Paypal as a necessary evil when using eBay but I'd never ever use it if not absolutely necessary, most especially if I'm the seller. When I sell something (in person) I need to be sure the deal is 100% done at the transfer of goods, and that is simply never the case when you involve Paypal/Venmo/checks/etc.
I agree. Only thing I can think of would be counterfeit bills but I have never checked for that.

surfacetension

surfacetension

Audioholic Intern
I agree. Only thing I can think of would be counterfeit bills but I have never checked for that.
Yeah true I've never really been that concerned with counterfeit bills but that worry can be easily solved by simply doing the deal at a bank and having them verify the bills before the deal, no big deal.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
[QUOTE="surfacetension, post: 1417007, member: 92576"

[/QUOTE]

I was BUYING not selling and it was to be shipped. If I sent cash_.......? In person is different but if I showed up with cash then.......who knows.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

I've used Burner for years now with CList and Ebay. Soon as I'm done with the sale I burn the #.

surfacetension

surfacetension

Audioholic Intern
[QUOTE="surfacetension, post: 1417007, member: 92576"

I was BUYING not selling and it was to be shipped. If I sent cash_.......? In person is different but if I showed up with cash then.......who knows.
[/QUOTE]

I had it in my head that this was a Craigslist sale because cash was mentioned in the first place, cause yeah I don't know how cash would be involved in an internet sale with shipping.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis