New (To Me) Craigslist Scam

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sumbitches...

No, they didn't get me but if I wasn't cautious they might have! I got an inquiry on my speakers already. I'm thinking "wow, that didn't take long...". Then he says he sent me a 6 digit code to verify I'm not a scammer and a legit seller. Huh. Never heard about that one. So I did a quick Google search.

It's a scam. They set up accounts using your phone number, you get a verification code, which they ask for to "prove you're for real" then they use your number for fake CL accounts and scams. Pricks. He stopped replying when I asked when he wanted to meet. I haven't heard of this scam before so I'm sharing it with you guys to spread the word. Oh, the speakers are still for sale...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Indeed. I didn't know there was a scam around this, but I would never send a code over text... might as well be your Social or CC#!

FTW! (SMH)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I hate scammers. Scumbags. I wish I could teleport through the airwaves and slap him. Acted all impatient, trying to get a knee jerk reaction from me. The text you get clearly says "do not share this code with anyone!", yet I'm sure they still get people.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just imagined looking through Craigslist and finding a massive, full page ad for Dogg Digital gear with my name and number... lol.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey pogre, I hear ya just bought yourself a new cargo van... Why did you choose white?
:p

1599523331035.png

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
No doubt things are getting tougher on Craig's List.

I listed my beloved 2002 Triumph ST (Sophia) last year and 90% + of the respondents were scammers and Nigerian princesses, who I just ignored.

The dead give away is the piss-poor diction of the e-mails or the sad-sack stories. Some of these a$$holes should be in Hollywood writing screenplays. They're wasting their talents for a quick buck.

Frustrating to say the least but I finally found a good home for her.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Then he says he sent me a 6 digit code to verify I'm not a scammer and a legit seller.
That's a bit ironic.....

Verify a code from a potential Craig's List buyer? Not a freaking chance!

Ask if he wants to meet at a Police station close to your house, or his.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
That's a bit ironic.....

Verify a code from a potential Craig's List buyer? Not a freaking chance!

Ask if he wants to meet at a Police station close to your house, or his.
That works and luckily the police station is only a 1/2 block away from my house. I've had quite a few buyers drop out after that request. :D

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Guy responded to my wanted
Ad for BMR speakers , said he had 2 for $1100. i offered to do PayPal but he wanted half in cash first because he didn’t do PayPal. I said NO CASH.

NEVER HEARD FROM AGAIN

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Scammers are the worst. Generally if I say cash only and in person that will get rid of most as they don't really want to meet. I would look out for anyone that immediately wants to communicate via text rather than through CL or Offerup or whatever.

Good4it, funny, I tend to stick to cash as it seems safer. Is Paypal an OK way to deal with people? I always fear taking Paypal could be a scam or they could claw their money back, etc.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I think PayPal is better than cash because they have a verified account. Maybe still not good enough though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just got a suspicious email asking me to text them if they're still available because he "doesn't check craigslist emails"...

Then didn't include a phone number, but another email address. Ask me to text you, then give me an email address and no phone number. truck off. Are there any people who actually buy stuff on CL or are they all running some kinda scam??

So many tells. Starting with his wording. "I actually saw your post. That's right for me. Is this your last price? I don't check the email for Craig's List,so, If it is still available then text me at-" followed by an email address. That's it, that's the entire email. No mention of what "it" is or anything else. The way that reply is worded can be recycled and used to inquire about ANYTHING. Weird start to an inquiry too.. "I actually saw your post"...

Well so far, all inquiries about my ad have been some attempt at a scam...

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I just got a suspicious email asking me to text them if they're still available because he "doesn't check craigslist emails"...

Then didn't include a phone number, but another email address. Ask me to text you, then give me an email address and no phone number. truck off. Are there any people who actually buy stuff on CL or are they all running some kinda scam??

So many tells. Starting with his wording. "I actually saw your post. That's right for me. Is this your last price? I don't check the email for Craig's List,so, If it is still available then text me at-" followed by an email address. That's it, that's the entire email. No mention of what "it" is or anything else. The way that reply is worded can be recycled and used to inquire about ANYTHING. Weird start to an inquiry too.. "I actually saw your post"...

Well so far, all inquiries about my ad have been some attempt at a scam...
I always enjoy the introductory email asking, "What is your last price?" For you, good scammer (or person too lazy to dicker)? Fifteen percent over my first price!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I always enjoy the introductory email asking, "What is your last price?" For you, good scammer (or person too lazy to dicker)? Fifteen percent over my first price!
Not to mention if you don't check craigslist emails then wtf are you doing shopping on Craigslist??

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Why are we surprised that the whole world is full of Scams and Scam Artists? Why is this surprising to us? It's called Buyer Beware, Seller Beware.

To me it's like seeing a pile of dogshit in the grass just step aside and keep moving

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why are we surprised that the whole world is full of Scams and Scam Artists? Why is this surprising to us? It's called Buyer Beware, Seller Beware.

To me it's like seeing a pile of dogshit in the grass just step aside and keep moving
Who's "we"? You got a mouse in your pocket? :p

"Caveat emptor" I believe, is focused on the buyer, not the seller...

Besides, I'm not surprised at all, but this is a new-ish one for me so I figured I'd spread the word on it so others can watch out for it. Plus this is the first time I've sold anything on Craigslist. I've bought stuff and never run into a scam. You'd think (I did) a seller would be less likely to be scammed. I've had 2 attempts in less than 24 hours!

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I hate scammers. Scumbags. I wish I could teleport through the airwaves and slap him.
Let's not forget robo-calls.

I'd love to invent a code on my phone that would render their call centers useless.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis