New router recommendations

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
With my three TP-Link 225v3 I routinely get 30mbps (38MB/s). Streaming is certainly not a problem.
What speed do you get when you hardwire the computer? I get >200Mbps with my Spectrum router and the friend who might get one of these has the same- I'm on their lowest speed plan, too.

I ordered one from Amazon- if it doesn't work as needed, I'll return it and keep looking.

jinjuku

jinjuku

What speed do you get when you hardwire the computer? I get >200Mbps with my Spectrum router and the friend who might get one of these has the same- I'm on their lowest speed plan, too.

I ordered one from Amazon- if it doesn't work as needed, I'll return it and keep looking.
I run 1/10Gbe wired. So typically anywhere from 90MB/s to 300MB/s I don't have anything other than my server that can actually do 1000MB/s

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I run 1/10Gbe wired. So typically anywhere from 90MB/s to 300MB/s I don't have anything other than my server that can actually do 1000MB/s
Ethernet connections will never get the maximum possible speed. At best you'll get 70% of the port speed.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What is the fastest then?
Wired is always going to be the speed/reliability king. If you have the ability to wire a device, do it.

Sure, you don't get the "full" speed of ethernet, but you get damn close. I can max out gigabit without any effort. My server would get close to maxing out 10G if I had any desire to put that into place.

I get 120Mbps when transferring from PC to server so that's pretty much saturating the 1G connection. 1G maxes out at 125Mbps so I'm getting ~95% of the speed capability. Remember, whatever mega/gigabit rate you are at, divide my 8 to get your megabytes/gigabyte per second. If that matters to you.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
What is the fastest then?
Fast is relative to port speeds across the entire circuit end to end. As someone has already said, hardwire has the advantage of speed consistency whereas wireless is always competition with whatever is else is in the air. Think of it like plumbing, you can only push so much thru a 1/2 inch pipe no matter how big the pipe leading to it is.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
I have a dlink dir 657, wireless signal is very low after a power outage so I've decided it's time to upgrade. Id like to stay as far under $100 without limiting my Internet. I use wifi on 2 note5s and one firetv box. My '4k' firetv, ps3 and lg tv are wired. Current speed tests are around 10 Mbps. http://www.ncwcom.com/residential-internet-services/ we have gen x service. I know pretty much nothing when it comes to Internet and network specs, we use amazon music, hulu, amazon prime. I don't see myself anywhere in the near future setting up a network with say kodi to stream from pc to other devices. So I'm assuming I just need a basic ac router such as the netgear ac1200, or belkin n600.
Bag all of that garbage from Best Buy. I’ve been an escalation network engineer for 25 years. Started when Arcnet and token ring was around. I’ve gone with Ubiquiti UDMPro as my base system, then added multiple cameras, access points, manage switches. It can be as simple or as complex as you like. You don’t have to assume your protected. It’s not horrific price wise, but there’s no finer system.

Attachments

jinjuku

jinjuku

but there’s no finer system.
Plenty of pissed off Redditors that would disagree.

I've my CCNP in Route/Switch and Collaboration. I have Aruba ACMP, ACDP, ACSP. I've installed Ubi gear in the past. It's fine once you get it working but their software updates have been creating major headaches.

I don't use them for my SOHO installs any longer and have moved onto TP-Link and their Omada controller.

TP-Link has a more mature feature set hands down. Try doing LACP on Ubi sometime.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Bag all of that garbage from Best Buy. I’ve been an escalation network engineer for 25 years. Started when Arcnet and token ring was around. I’ve gone with Ubiquiti UDMPro as my base system, then added multiple cameras, access points, manage switches. It can be as simple or as complex as you like. You don’t have to assume your protected. It’s not horrific price wise, but there’s no finer system.
I have 3x UAP-AC-Pro at home and I agree with jinjuku. They recently pushed a BETA dashboard (which had product ads) into production release and what's even worse, they made it the DEFAULT option. A few years ago they also pushed a production update to controller software with the option to agree to data collection ON by default. They eventually backed down after a massive customer pushback.
What kind of 1st-year monkey devs does what?
Plus this has been in news recently:
I don't have ALL the facts of this case, but I'm a long-time Brian Krebs reader and I find it very hard to believe that he did anything wrong. it smells SLAPP to me.

Let's just say, though I am very familiar with running Unifi at home and APs were cheap, the controller has plenty of good features, but once I decide to upgrade to Wifi 6 or newer I'd likely go with another product.
Aerohive/Extreme or Ruckus.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Aruba Instant On is another. There's a reason Aruba is top dog in the wireless enterprise space. We just won a bake off for a University vs Ruckus.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
I have 3x UAP-AC-Pro at home and I agree with jinjuku. They recently pushed a BETA dashboard (which had product ads) into production release and what's even worse, they made it the DEFAULT option. A few years ago they also pushed a production update to controller software with the option to agree to data collection ON by default. They eventually backed down after a massive customer pushback.
I don't have ALL the facts of this case, but I'm a long-time Brian Krebs reader and I find it very hard to believe that he did anything wrong. it smells SLAPP to me.

Let's just say, though I am very familiar with running Unifi at home and APs were cheap, the controller has plenty of good features, but once I decide to upgrade to Wifi 6 or newer I'd likely go with another product.
I exercise great paranoia when updating equipment from anyone. I still use the old interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jinjuku

jinjuku

I exercise great paranoia when updating equipment from anyone. I still use the old interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's all fine and well but my point is why even deal with the manufacturer that's going to do that in the first place?

I also understand that nothing's guarantee but you make your picks.

I like their products but it's the overall direction and the missteps that are of concern. Enough that I don't use them anymore.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

I'm getting pretty pissed about their controller updates. The UI tweaks they just randomly decide I get to use are frustrating to say the least. Now that both my UAP-AC-LR are having issues, or something else, I'm seriously considering moving on. The TP-link stuff is interesting.

I'm still using my sophos utm box for everything but routing since it has a 50 IP limit. I'd use their wifi APs, but don't really know much about them. I'd pony up for a full sophos license if I did that, but that'd be a decent chunk of change.

Damnit Ubiquiti.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I bought the TP Link outdoor access point- what range do you typically see from these?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis