New router recommendations

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Instead of creating a new thread, I'm hijacking this one.

Cable company is Comcast;

I want to upgrade my Netgear AC1600 WiFi router/modem (using with Netgear Prosafe 8 port gigabit switch), and I'm thinking about this;

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-band-Wireless-AC1900-Gigabit-Router-RT-AC68U/dp/B00FB45SI4

Is this an upgrade or a lateral move? Will the Asus be compatible with the switch?

If/when I get a new router/modem I was going to gift my Netgear to my neighbor. Will there be any security issues?

Thanks!

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I love Asus products, rt-ac68u is very good wireless router, but product you've linked to is just a modem, not a modem/router combo.
I'd also look/wait for docsis 3.1 modems.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Instead of creating a new thread, I'm hijacking this one.

Cable company is Comcast;

I want to upgrade my Netgear AC1600 WiFi router/modem (using Netgear Prosafe 8 port gigabit switch), and I'm thinking about this;

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-band-Wireless-AC1900-Gigabit-Router-RT-AC68U/dp/B00FB45SI4

Is this an upgrade or a lateral move? Will the Asus be compatible with the switch?

If/when I get a new router/modem I was going to gift my Netgear to my neighbor. Will there be any security issues?

Thanks!
Fixed. I had two tabs open...*SIGH*

I love Asus products, rt-ac68u is very good wireless router, but product you've linked to is just a modem, not a modem/router combo.
I'd also look/wait for docsis 3.1 modems.
Here's the correct link. Hmm. Wait for 3.1? Will that be a significant upgrade?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Fixed. I had two tabs open...*SIGH*

Here's the correct link. Hmm. Wait for 3.1? Will that be a significant upgrade?

ok, maybe not your day today, but both these links point to NOT modem, but a wifi router only. AC68, like I said before I do like that model. But what are you looking to improve here? From pure speed - the improvement may be minor if any.
Don't worry about your switch compatibility, it would work with any router and/or modem.

Let's start from scratch here.
What you have today is this: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C6250.aspx
Correct?

You want to update it why? Getting good wifi coverage is often more tricky than you think. simply buying more expensive device often is not a solution.
If you have mid sided and/or multi-floor house or larger apartment and your technical chops are not very strong, my STRONG recommendation just get a Google Wifi (one or more depends on coverage needed)
https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi.
They are VERY easy to set up and work very well

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
ok, maybe not your day today, but both these links point to NOT modem, but a wifi router only. AC68, like I said before I do like that model. But what are you looking to improve here? From pure speed - the improvement may be minor if any.
Don't worry about your switch compatibility, it would work with any router and/or modem.

Let's start from scratch here.
What you have today is this: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C6250.aspx
Correct?

You want to update it why? Getting good wifi coverage is often more tricky than you think. simply buying more expensive device often is not a solution.
If you have mid sided and/or multi-floor house or larger apartment and your technical chops are not very strong, my STRONG recommendation just get a Google Wifi (one or more depends on coverage needed)
https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi.
They are VERY easy to set up and work very well
UGH! Yes, the AC1600 is my current router.

Looking to set up a connection in my basement. I may just hard wire from the switch.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
UGH! Yes, the AC1600 is my current router.

Looking to set up a connection in my basement. I may just hard wire from the switch.
hard wire always beats wifi in reliability and most cases in speed.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Bump. I'm looking for a modem router that supports WiFi 6 and longer better distance. This is for streaming movies(Might purchase the new firestick wifi 6) and occasionally web browsing. I don't game. I see Asus 11000 has a gaming one thats around 250ish. Is it overkill for streaming? Thanks in advance.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, that is totally overkill and totally f#%kin’ cool, get it!;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Asus make great routers and have great web setup and Smart app features.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Any one else have any thoughts ?
I am solidly of the opinion that whichever choice @BoredSysAdmin makes in the router category is good with me.
I have upgraded mine after one of his recommendations (a big hardwired ASUS) and it is an absolutely solid performer. It has a great interface and from a security perspective it has been bulletproof. We stream content every day inside our home and it handles the traffic.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'll always be a proponent of Unifi products by Ubiquiti just because of how well they work for how little they cost compared to an all in one router with built in wifi.

Google wifi seems to work quite well for a lot of folks too, but has limited customization features.

It all depends on how much you need it to do, but I don't usually recommend all in one products unless you have a smaller house/apartment. They're great for that. Asus has always been good for me in that regard.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Any one else have any thoughts ?
I don't typically go for all in one devices. I just installed TP-Link in a 32,000 sq foot manufacturing. 12 AP's, 84 ports with PoE, and their $59 ER605 router.

Setup with their Omada controller (comes in software and hardware versions). I come from a Cisco, Aruba, Arista background so $18,000 swrouters aren't uncommon for me to implement.

I'm actually impressed with the TP-Link Omada line up. It's literally pocket change and the feature set better than decent.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Imho AF would be perfectly fine with this router:
It's hard to beat the value at only $80

I am also rocking Unifi Wifi at home, but in the last few years, my confidence in them as a reliable brand started to erode.
Stuff like this:
I'm a long-time Brain Krebs reader as he is one of the most hard-working IT security journalists/investigators.
This lawsuit wreaks of SLAPP to me.
Omada controller seems sufficient for simple installations, but vs Unifi controller it is less functional, especially in with on-prem version (Guest/Kiosk portal only available in subscription-based Cloud controller)
I also see in demo Omada UI that many of the higher 5ghz DFS channels are MIA. why?

Currently, I am looking into EnGenius WiFi APs and their ezMaster controller software as the software seems like a solid replacement for UniFi controller.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Bump. I'm looking for a modem router that supports WiFi 6 and longer better distance. This is for streaming movies(Might purchase the new firestick wifi 6) and occasionally web browsing. I don't game. I see Asus 11000 has a gaming one thats around 250ish. Is it overkill for streaming? Thanks in advance.
High frequencies and long distance don't go together- it's the Physics of the whole thing. Don't try to use WiFi for everything- hardwire whatever can be, even if it'snot an easy thing to do.

Look at your house and consider where the router will be placed, as well as any walls and distance between it and where you will place streaming devices, laptops and hand held devices. If you have any stone/block walls, large appliances, a fireplace or anything with water in it, you will lose signal and the speed will suffer greatly. Seeing good signal strength doesn't mean you'll measure high speed or good streaming results. I checked out a house for a friend yesterday and in the cottage, I saw full signal strength, but the speed test showed <3Mbps download. My Spectrum WiFi6 router signal doesn't go 50'.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't typically go for all in one devices. I just installed TP-Link in a 32,000 sq foot manufacturing. 12 AP's, 84 ports with PoE, and their $59 ER605 router.

Setup with their Omada controller (comes in software and hardware versions). I come from a Cisco, Aruba, Arista background so $18,000 swrouters aren't uncommon for me to implement.

I'm actually impressed with the TP-Link Omada line up. It's literally pocket change and the feature set better than decent.
How do you like their outdoor WAPs? Looking into their EAP225 for a friend.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Forget about Belkin,Netgear, Linksys brands.
These is the one I'd recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Archer-C7-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00BUSDVBQ
https://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-Wireless-AC1900-Dual-Band-AiProtection-Complete/dp/B01MYTAURW/ref=pd_lpo_147_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NY88GEP7CCHE3A840A3G

Both require some tinkering for best functionality out of them, but it's worth on a $100 budget

If you're not tech inclined, you could buy this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-RT-AC68U-Ultra-Fast-Acceleration-AiProtection/dp/B00FB45SI4
It's exactly same as tmo's AC1900, but running asus firmware.
I concur on the TP-Link, use one as a bridge for all the gear in my rack. Works well once it's set up and haven't had an issue with it yet. Just wish I would have paid attention and ordered a black one I stead of a white one.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Imho AF would be perfectly fine with this router:
It's hard to beat the value at only $80

I am also rocking Unifi Wifi at home, but in the last few years, my confidence in them as a reliable brand started to erode.
Stuff like this:
I'm a long-time Brain Krebs reader as he is one of the most hard-working IT security journalists/investigators.
This lawsuit wreaks of SLAPP to me.
Omada controller seems sufficient for simple installations, but vs Unifi controller it is less functional, especially in with on-prem version (Guest/Kiosk portal only available in subscription-based Cloud controller)
I also see in demo Omada UI that many of the higher 5ghz DFS channels are MIA. why?

Currently, I am looking into EnGenius WiFi APs and their ezMaster controller software as the software seems like a solid replacement for UniFi controller.
Thanks BSA! In terms of rapid speeds for WiFi 6 for Streaming stuff is it the fastest? Or is there something faster? Like I said no gaming. I'm in an condo apt, Highfive. Thanks again.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Had two Asus AC1900(T-mobile rebranded Cellspot models) and used one in bridge mode at one point. Using an Asus RT-AX88U now with one of the AC1900 units in bridge mode. Works nicely. For many, ethernet connections are not an option. This does not mean a wifi connection using a WiFi 5(AC) or WiFi 6(AX) router in a small to medium single story dwelling will be an issue. Many devices have but 100Mbs ethernet ports while including WiFi 5(AC). The AC connection will be fine even when considering actual throughput. Streaming media from services should be trouble free. Moving gobs of data around a local network is another issue. Remember too that the speed will be capped at the speeds of the slower devices. AX routers will not make use of AX speeds in an AC or N populated network. The Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro and Roku Ultra all support WiFi 5(AC) and will do fine with an AX router. They can all also be limited by the speeds delivered by the service if they are low.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis