New router recommendations

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Had two Asus AC1900(T-mobile rebranded Cellspot models) and used one in bridge mode at one point. Using an Asus RT-AX88U now with one of the AC1900 units in bridge mode. Works nicely. For many, ethernet connections are not an option. This does not mean a wifi connection using a WiFi 5(AC) or WiFi 6(AX) router in a small to medium single story dwelling will be an issue. Many devices have but 100Mbs ethernet ports while including WiFi 5(AC). The AC connection will be fine even when considering actual throughput. Streaming media from services should be trouble free. Moving gobs of data around a local network is another issue. Remember too that the speed will be capped at the speeds of the slower devices. AX routers will not make use of AX speeds in an AC or N populated network. The Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro and Roku Ultra all support WiFi 5(AC) and will do fine with an AX router. They can all also be limited by the speeds delivered by the service if they are low.
True, but the ODFM feature with WiFi 6 is massively important once the client device catches up to wifi6.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
AX is the way to go for a new router for sure. My post may have seemed as though I was saying to stick with AC as many devices are limited to it. No, get the latest and greatest. I love my AX router and Asus routers in general. The web setup and Smart app are so cool and customizable. I like applying the actual names and pics of my devices in my list of clients and the Asus routers have great settings for doing so.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
How about the ASUS RT-AX58U AX3000 instead of AX1800?

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
For our ranch home with basement, I have had DTV/U-verse DSL for several years. 3 Wi-Fi TVs, 3 DTV Wi-Fi boxes, 3 laptops, iPad, and a Kindle, work just fine with no interruptions. 3 devices at a time and still avg 75Mbps from source server 50 miles away.

The basement has concrete walls and the Gateway/Router is situated at one end of the basement, where I have our HT room. Having 75Mbps internet actual avg. speed, there has been NO interruptions and the streaming on 3 devices at the same time, has not been an issue. I am just saying DTV/ATT U-verse DSL internet, has been fantastic for several years. Signal strength to my kitchen laptop, 40 feet away, has all 5 bars with Wi-Fi. I pay $40/mo for internet with more than enough speed to all devices.

The only Cat5 cable being used is to my Denon AVR. All software updates for the TV's, Laptops, and AVR, have downloaded perfectly. I do Wi-Fi Microsoft Win updates most every week, with ATT U-Verse DSL.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Think I'm going for the Asus AX5400. Hopefully I'll get a good deal.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Imho AF would be perfectly fine with this router:
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-AX1800-Router-RT-AX1800S-Subscription-Free/dp/B09M9477NS?th=1 It's hard to beat the value at only $80

I am also rocking Unifi Wifi at home, but in the last few years, my confidence in them as a reliable brand started to erode.
Stuff like this:
I don't recommend Asus for the same reasons as Ubiquiti though. They don't have a stellar track record. TP-Link at least has a seat at the networking table as it's their sole focus and you can implement them in scenarios bordering on enterprise.

I have a 2400 sq foot layout and to do it right, based on the T shape of it, I ended up doing 3 AP's all PoE.

As you go up the frequency chain the denser the AP's need to get. You blast the AP and full power and devices like phone (Apple in particular) may see the AP but throughput and latency may be horrible.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Currently, I am looking into EnGenius WiFi APs and their ezMaster controller software as the software seems like a solid replacement for UniFi controller.
I use EnGenius for my site to site bridges. I just setup 1km bridge and was hitting 70mbps and under 10ms averaged. All for ~$220.

I think you'll like them. Still I would tell you to look at TP-Link Omada.

jinjuku

jinjuku

How do you like their outdoor WAPs? Looking into their EAP225 for a friend.
Did the 225's outdoor model for a church parking lot (3 of them) and they worked fine.

I love the wall mount unit with the Gig-E and PoE pass through and it' $59. Been very reliable.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I don't recommend Asus for the same reasons as Ubiquiti though. They don't have a stellar track record. TP-Link at least has a seat at the networking table as it's their sole focus and you can implement them in scenarios bordering on enterprise.

I have a 2400 sq foot layout and to do it right, based on the T shape of it, I ended up doing 3 AP's all PoE.

As you go up the frequency chain the denser the AP's need to get. You blast the AP and full power and devices like phone (Apple in particular) may see the AP but throughput and latency may be horrible.
I'm going to have to check out this TP-link line. I've bought a few of their products, but the cheaper line, and have been happy.

I've got a lot of Unifi stuff and it's been good (the USG has been a pain at times), but my APs have been acting up lately. The TP-Link Omada stuff looks similar price wise so I'm going to look at their controller to see if it has more of the stuff I need that Unifi won't do (disable NAT for example).

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm going to have to check out this TP-link line. I've bought a few of their products, but the cheaper line, and have been happy.

I've got a lot of Unifi stuff and it's been good (the USG has been a pain at times), but my APs have been acting up lately. The TP-Link Omada stuff looks similar price wise so I'm going to look at their controller to see if it has more of the stuff I need that Unifi won't do (disable NAT for example).
Did the 225's outdoor model for a church parking lot (3 of them) and they worked fine.

I love the wall mount unit with the Gig-E and PoE pass through and it' $59. Been very reliable.
That's the skinny dual antenna model, right?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I bought the AX5700 a few months back and have been very happy with it.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Very cool and not just because it looks like something Dark Vader would fly.
Haha indeed like my JBLs. Just bought the 5400 for half price on ebay! An upgrade was needed hopefully speed will increase with firmware updates.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I bought the AX5700 a few months back and have been very happy with it.
AWESOME JG! Can't wait to set it up. I think you got the Asus higher model recently for gaming? If I recall you posted on recently bought thread.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
AWESOME JG! Can't wait to set it up. I think you got the Asus higher model recently for gaming? If I recall you posted on recently bought thread.
Got it because the PS5 supports WiFi6, then I went ahead with the FireTV 4K Max since it supported it too. I get awesome speeds on my phone (~680 Mbps), but the PS5 speed it shows is a bit slower than expected. It displays a slower speeds (200-300 Mbps), but downloads are still very fast. I actually use the PS5 as my main streamer in the main rig because it provides the best overall audio options for Plex and most other streaming apps and the interface is super easy to use. I use the FireTV Max in the bedroom and it is a lot faster than my old FireTV.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Got it because the PS5 supports WiFi6, then I went ahead with the FireTV 4K Max since it supported it too. I get awesome speeds on my phone (~680 Mbps), but the PS5 speed it shows is a bit slower than expected. It displays a slower speeds (200-300 Mbps), but downloads are still very fast. I actually use the PS5 as my main streamer in the main rig because it provides the best overall audio options for Plex and most other streaming apps and the interface is super easy to use. I use the FireTV Max in the bedroom and it is a lot faster than my old FireTV.
WiFi6 is just the new name for 802.11ax, WiFi5 is the new name for 802.11ac. Your streaming devices will never need the speeds possible with either, but they do like to make u p new names, in order to get people to buy something new, even if the difference will be generally unnoticeable.

However, for a place where many people will be streaming HD content, WiFi6 offers this vs WiFi5-

• WiFi 5: wireless access point can talk to more than one device at a time, but it cannot respond at the same time.
  • WiFi 6: wireless access point can talk to and respond to all devices at the same time.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
WiFi6 is just the new name for 802.11ax, WiFi5 is the new name for 802.11ac. Your streaming devices will never need the speeds possible with either, but they do like to make u p new names, in order to get people to buy something new, even if the difference will be generally unnoticeable.

However, for a place where many people will be streaming HD content, WiFi6 offers this vs WiFi5-

• WiFi 5: wireless access point can talk to more than one device at a time, but it cannot respond at the same time.
  • WiFi 6: wireless access point can talk to and respond to all devices at the same time.
Yeah I don't expect much different in speed WiFi 6 on streaming, but hopefully it will get better. At least downloads are faster.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis