J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Excellent and amusing review. :) For the last several years, I let myself go to the theaters once a year, but this year was an exception as I went twice. Good thing you didn't go to a regular theater, as those are pure crap in comparison, IMO. DLP theater is the bare minimum, IMO.

As for brightness on a 130", and besides going to a different tech which of course you know is an easily available option, the newer lines of JVC have increased brightness. Then consider that the RS2/20/25 line is dimmer than the 1/10/15. I therefore assume the RS15 will be significantly brighter than the RS2.

Sherardp is using the RS15 on a 126" Carada BW (with a gain that is significantly lower than what is rated from what I've gathered, but maybe I'm wrong) in a room that that is rather similar to yours in color, and he's very happy. Yes, his iris is left wide open at the setting of 3.

If say there was a DLP that fit the bill for you, I'm curious what your throw distance is, and if you would be adverse to moving the PJ mount either forward or backward. I only ask because of the much more limited placement flexibility of that tech.

Hope your weekend is good. It's Star Trek here tonight, and since I don't go to theaters, it'll be my first viewing of it. :)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Excellent and amusing review. :) For the last several years, I let myself go to the theaters once a year, but this year was an exception as I went twice. Good thing you didn't go to a regular theater, as those are pure crap in comparison, IMO. DLP theater is the bare minimum, IMO.

As for brightness on a 130", and besides going to a different tech which of course you know is an easily available option, the newer lines of JVC have increased brightness. Then consider that the RS2/20/25 line is dimmer than the 1/10/15. I therefore assume the RS15 will be significantly brighter than the RS2.

Sherardp is using the RS15 on a 126" Carada BW (with a gain that is significantly lower than what is rated from what I've gathered, but maybe I'm wrong) in a room that that is rather similar to yours in color, and he's very happy. Yes, his iris is left wide open at the setting of 3.

If say there was a DLP that fit the bill for you, I'm curious what your throw distance is, and if you would be adverse to moving the PJ mount either forward or backward. I only ask because of the much more limited placement flexibility of that tech.

Hope your weekend is good. It's Star Trek here tonight, and since I don't go to theaters, it'll be my first viewing of it. :)
That’s funny … we are watching Star Trek tonight too. Moving the projector mount is easy. I almost pulled the trigger on a bigger Seymour fixed 16:9 AT screen today. I really want to get the speakers up off the floor and behind a screen. I'm thinking constant width is a good compromise and that I can live with bars top and bottom on scope movies as long as the screen is big enough. The IMAX experience convinced up that bigger is better and the speakers behind an AT screen should pay some nice dividends.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
That’s funny … we are watching Star Trek tonight too. Moving the projector mount is easy. I almost pulled the trigger on a bigger Seymour fixed 16:9 AT screen today. I really want to get the speakers up off the floor and behind a screen. I'm thinking constant width is a good compromise and that I can live with bars top and bottom on scope movies as long as the screen is big enough. The IMAX experience convinced up that bigger is better and the speakers behind an AT screen should pay some nice dividends.
In my humble opinion, your speakers are good where they are. Its your screen that needs to come down.

When I was playing with mounting my screen, I messed around with a lot of heights, and a little bit made a BIG difference. I would have my screen even lower if it was AT, but even as is I ended up keeping it pretty low because it made viewing a lot more immersive (s/p?).

Get a contractor in there to quote you on building that corner for a AT. I bet its cheaper than you think. Contractors are DYING right now for business. A guy seeing he just has to build a faux non-structural wall with some access panels will about jump out of his seat. Just make sure he has all the stuff in (drywall, lighting, paint, screen, etc.) before he so much as lifts a hammer, then get it all done quick.

Like an IMAX, have them put some LED backlights back there to show off your cool speakers. When you flip the lights on behind the screen then you can show off your speakers, when you turn them down, then they'll disappear behind the screen.

Also look at Lutron lighting. Program some scenes in the room. I can snap some shots of my lighting system this week if you want.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
In my humble opinion, your speakers are good where they are. Its your screen that needs to come down.
Will someone link/post a pic with screen down? I just browsed a tiny bit, and this thread has become rather long!

I'm holding my opinion, well because I don't have one yet on the angle, but I note that it's multi row, which usually means compromise multiplied. And he does have recliners, which do make a difference with angle.

You know, I really don't have an idea of what is typically done, but I do wonder what proportion of AT setups use a retractable screen vs fixed. I would think that it could be nice to just have the speakers in sight when listening to either stereo or mch music. And obviously it would determine whether the plasma could even stay of course. I wonder what rmk is going to do.

Also look at Lutron lighting. Program some scenes in the room. I can snap some shots of my lighting system this week if you want.
I for one would love to see. :)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief

When I was playing with mounting my screen, I messed around with a lot of heights, and a little bit made a BIG difference. I would have my screen even lower if it was AT, but even as is I ended up keeping it pretty low because it made viewing a lot more immersive (s/p?).

Get a contractor in there to quote you on building that corner for a AT. I bet its cheaper than you think. Contractors are DYING right now for business. A guy seeing he just has to build a faux non-structural wall with some access panels will about jump out of his seat. Just make sure he has all the stuff in (drywall, lighting, paint, screen, etc.) before he so much as lifts a hammer, then get it all done quick.

Like an IMAX, have them put some LED backlights back there to show off your cool speakers. When you flip the lights on behind the screen then you can show off your speakers, when you turn them down, then they'll disappear behind the screen.

Thanks for the suggestions. Building a false wall is easy but my issues are wanting to keep the plasma and screen size and AR.:confused:

I'd like to see those lights

Will someone link/post a pic with screen down? I just browsed a tiny bit, and this thread has become rather long!

I'm holding my opinion, well because I don't have one yet on the angle, but I note that it's multi row, which usually means compromise multiplied. And he does have recliners, which do make a difference with angle.

You know, I really don't have an idea of what is typically done, but I do wonder what proportion of AT setups use a retractable screen vs fixed. I would think that it could be nice to just have the speakers in sight when listening to either stereo or mch music. And obviously it would determine whether the plasma could even stay of course. I wonder what rmk is going to do.

I for one would love to see. :)
Well I change my mind daily. Lot's to consider including all the things you and Sensi mentioned plus a few others. The powered vs. fixed AT screen is the latest dilemma. Here is a picture of the Stewart down, it's 36" off the floor.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Actually, the screen is 40" off the floor but due to the no post edits rule :rolleyes:, I have to make the correction in another post.

Ideally, I would like the AT screen lower (approx 24"from floor) and that will require the LCR's to be moved up. At that point its bye bye plasma.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I'm glad you change your mind often, because otherwise we'd have nothing to talk about :D I'm the same way, I go back and forth all the time on ideas.

I'll snap some pictures of the lighting this week.

Actually, the screen is 40" off the floor but due to the no post edits rule :rolleyes:, I have to make the correction in another post.

Ideally, I would like the AT screen lower (approx 24"from floor) and that will require the LCR's to be moved up. At that point its bye bye plasma.
When do you use the plasma? Movies I'd assume you always use the projector. Do you use the plasma for AppleTV/music or something?

If your just using it as a preview or tuning display, why not have a smaller LCD on the wall or hidden behind a door in the front wall, or even on that 45-degree bit that is off to the left of the screen. A small, thin LCD there could act as a display for tuning/EQ/tinkering, previewing material, appleTV album art, or so forth. Plus I think your equipment is in a closet behind that wall, right? So power and HDMI could be run easily to a LCD on there.

Of course, you could always tear that closet out, and make that closet part of the room... hence a bigger front wall. :D:D I mean, as long as they are there anyways :):D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Well, I'm glad you change your mind often, because otherwise we'd have nothing to talk about :D I'm the same way, I go back and forth all the time on ideas.

When do you use the plasma? Movies I'd assume you always use the projector. Do you use the plasma for AppleTV/music or something?

If your just using it as a preview or tuning display, why not have a smaller LCD on the wall or hidden behind a door in the front wall, or even on that 45-degree bit that is off to the left of the screen. A small, thin LCD there could act as a display for tuning/EQ/tinkering, previewing material, appleTV album art, or so forth. Plus I think your equipment is in a closet behind that wall, right? So power and HDMI could be run easily to a LCD on there.

Of course, you could always tear that closet out, and make that closet part of the room... hence a bigger front wall. :D:D I mean, as long as they are there anyways :):D
I guess that one of our roles here is to act as an enabler and you are clearly one of the best.:p

I like the versatility the plasma gives me. I can watch a game or a concert and not be forced to sit in a darkened room. I know that projection technology will solve this problem eventually but for now, I really like having both displays.

Tear out the closet and expand the front wall ... hummm :D

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I like the versatility the plasma gives me. I can watch a game or a concert and not be forced to sit in a darkened room. I know that projection technology will solve this problem eventually but for now, I really like having both displays.
I am with you all the way on the dual displays. I am kind of a miser with my bulb usage and I would hate to have to run my projector just to catch some news or if I am working out.

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
At that point its bye bye plasma.
If that time come, I would be happy to take it off your hands :D

lol, but yeah I totally understand wanting to have a plasma so you arn't always forced to sit in the dark. That's really the only thing I have against projectors.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
At that point its bye bye plasma.
Oh yeah, duh, vertically arrayed speaker.

Hm. My first idea is to place the center upright on that stand/pedestal. Then, however you might do it, raise the mains to the same height, perhaps flipped upside down if it sounds better with the tweeter at the same position as it is now.

You drop the screen bottom below the bottom of the speakers. Hey, Midnight will approve! :p

My first question is if the border material on a pulldown AT is transparent? I never really thought about it before, but I assume it should* be on a pulldown (but I guess you're now thinking fixed frame . . .) Then outside of aesthetic issues (in case the mains straddle the border), you can choose the exact screen size you want.

IF* the border is not AT for whatever reason, which is what I guess it's sounding like, juggling starts. If mains are completely covered, while in original "footprint" locations, I think CIH might be pretty cool here. However, I'm not really sure because I don't know what size screen it takes to cover the mains at the present positioning.

What is the distance to screen from front row right now?
Back row to screen?
How large is the Stewart?
Ideally, you are thinking 130" you say?

*How wide must be the screen be to completely cover all mains, in your comfortable estimation?
*You are willing to scoot the mains outward if the above will simply be too large, in order to make a compromise towards larger screen, and if so by how many inches?

If CIH, and you don't want to spend a small fortune with spending so much on quality glass, sled, and so forth, the Pana 4000 would be of interest I think. Sure, you will give up some PQ. But you will gain too, *maybe* even more than you lost (have to ask around more) if only due to significantly increased brightness on a supersized screen. If the screen covers all speakers in their entirety, then have the false wall be covered in black, so that the "black bars" are completely invisible when the zoom is engaged on the Pana.

Or just get a Sim2 with ISCO III and be done with it :p I'm kiddking, I'm kidding.

Now that there's a thread on the Epson 8500, maybe that one actually for even a greater increase in brightness.

I just live vicariously through you guys. J/K

Thanks man.

I worry about the reflective nature of a flat panel with a PJ's light. I will only concur with this idea if it is behind a door, or is covered. Edit: btw Midnight, if you ever consider AT if only to lower the screen, IIRC you sit rather close, and this could be an issue with an AT screen, visually AFAIK. You have to research that some more, just a heads up.

It will NOT be as good as a plasma for the purpose, but if the reasoning is not so much bulb costs at all, but higher ambient lighting, AND you do not end up going with AT, you might consider the Dalite High Power as a pulldown. They're dirt cheap. Pull it down in front of the Stewart when there is higher ambient lighting. However, to maximize this tech, the PJ will need to come down as much as comfortably possible, and I do not know if the glossy black of the JVC will distract the rear row viewing to great extent.

Last edited:
MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Josten I'm gunna respond in a bit to that. If I don't get home now though, my girlfriend will give me the silent treatment at dinner.:D

I guess that one of our roles here is to act as an enabler and you are clearly one of the best.:p
Haha! It goes both ways brotha.

Ah, okay. I didn't know you used your room for anything but movies. I'm kind of a weird: Although I have a dish and u-verse, I actually barely watch TV. By the time I sit down, I'm more into watching a movie or some discovery blu-ray crazy-animal-under-the-sea-monster-volcano-type-stuff.

Maybe a motorized screen is the way to go, with the plasma below or above the center channel. Acoustically this could be an issue, but, you know that tradeoff better than I.

:D Haha, your girl is going to hate me.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Pft, with what that would cost, I'd put the plasma in the living room and make the theater just for theater.

Or the faux wall could have a lip under the screen, so stick out a bit (enough to fit the plasma depth) and then have the plasma on an actuator that raises it up. Activate it off a 12v trigger. :) I donno, maybe I'm being too creative.

Oh yeah, duh, vertically arrayed speaker.

Hm. My first idea is to place the center upright on that stand/pedestal. Then, however you might do it, raise the mains to the same height, perhaps flipped upside down if it sounds better with the tweeter at the same position as it is now.

You drop the screen bottom below the bottom of the speakers. Hey, Midnight will approve! :p
I mean, it has to be high enough where the back row can see when they are reclined, so that might be a limiting factor.

You advised me before I mount and choose a screen size I shoot the image on the wall. That was good advice, because while I was close with the screen size, it was amazing to me how much of a difference a little height up/down made. It affects immersion, how well the sound seems to come from the screen. Too low it was a problem with your feet being in the way or looking at the floor, whereas too high some of the immersion of the image seem to be lost.

I guess before he does anything I'd recommend putting up a big white sheet and deciding where the image should be and how big. Two ladders, a rope, and cheap sheets.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for all the suggestion fellas. I want to get the LCR’s behind an AT screen so I am leaning toward the Seymour fixed 16:9. I will get a large enough screen to allow for proper speaker placement and screen height. I’m not going to worry about a screen wall as the screen itself will cover most of the wall and only the Captivator subs will be visible.

The current screen is 14’ from the front row. To accommodate the speakers the new screen will need to be about 1’ closer so I will take that into account when sizing. To keep it simple I’m thinking CIW with AT (top/bottom) masking panels. Seymour is making some that will be just like the SMX panels only less expensive.

In that scenario the plasma goes but I do have another system down stairs for non- movie viewing. I will probably keep the JVC but I do like the zoom save mode of the Panasonic 4000. I’m concerned about its lumen output and some apparent quality control issues. My experience with the Vivitek LED projector at the GTG was very positive and I believe there will be some interesting projector options in the next couple of years so holding off there seems prudent.

I have heard some very positive comments about the effect of having your LCR’s behind an AT screen and I’m sure I will like a larger and lower display so for now, that is the plan.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for all the suggestion fellas. I want to get the LCR’s behind an AT screen so I am leaning toward the Seymour fixed 16:9. I will get a large enough screen to allow for proper speaker placement and screen height. I’m not going to worry about a screen wall as the screen itself will cover most of the wall and only the Captivator subs will be visible.

The current screen is 14’ from the front row. To accommodate the speakers the new screen will need to be about 1’ closer so I will take that into account when sizing. To keep it simple I’m thinking CIW with AT (top/bottom) masking panels. Seymour is making some that will be just like the SMX panels only less expensive.

In that scenario the plasma goes but I do have another system down stairs for non- movie viewing. I will probably keep the JVC but I do like the zoom save mode of the Panasonic 4000. I’m concerned about its lumen output and some apparent quality control issues. My experience with the Vivitek LED projector at the GTG was very positive and I believe there will be some interesting projector options in the next couple of years so holding off there seems prudent.

I have heard some very positive comments about the effect of having your LCR’s behind an AT screen and I’m sure I will like a larger and lower display so for now, that is the plan.
I think that is the best plan. I agree that in the next couple years there will be some big improvements. If the screen is reasonable in cost, I think that will keep you happy until what you really want comes out in budget. Your JVC is a very nice projector, use it. If it isn't bright enough, maybe get a screen with some gain to offset that. The Panasonic 4000 looks like a bit of a downgrade from your JVC.

I'd rather have you spend your time helping me find some gnarly mains anyways!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I think that is the best plan. I agree that in the next couple years there will be some big improvements. If the screen is reasonable in cost, I think that will keep you happy until what you really want comes out in budget. Your JVC is a very nice projector, use it. If it isn't bright enough, maybe get a screen with some gain to offset that. The Panasonic 4000 looks like a bit of a downgrade from your JVC.

The Quintuple 8's look interesting if you can handle the size ...

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I mean, it has to be high enough where the back row can see when they are reclined, so that might be a limiting factor.
I agree, and that could have been the main reason I was thinking CIH. Maximize screen size, cover speakers, and reduce the issue you bring up. Even as CIH, it would be huge.

You advised me before I mount and choose a screen size I shoot the image on the wall. That was good advice, because while I was close with the screen size, it was amazing to me how much of a difference a little height up/down made. It affects immersion, how well the sound seems to come from the screen. Too low it was a problem with your feet being in the way or looking at the floor, whereas too high some of the immersion of the image seem to be lost.
I forgot about that. Cheers. :D

Ok, I'm digging up some little factoids. Search function brings you up saying the screen is 106", correct? JTR site shows Triple 12 HxW to be 40" x 16.5". *takes another gander at pic*. By my math, the 3 speakers as presently configured offer a 77" width. By using the incredibly precise eyeballing method, I'm guessing about 50" of "free space" between them, which leads me to ballpark guess a total of 127" width, or 10.59 ft. If fixed frame, I assume you will want it to be even wider so that there is minimum blocking/diffracting. Let's say 11.5'. That's huge. I'm sure I'm off here, bet even 10.5' is huge.

At 126" wide, or 144" diagonal, with 16:9, you will need an increase of 85% in lumens (assuming identical gain) with the respective size increase from 106". Here is the side by side:
http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?c5c603e025a5b79a8c08ba0776277d21

Ok, 13' away from 144" is 43.8 degree viewing angle. I'm going to pretend/assume that you can reduce screen size to 114" wide, or the 130" diagonal that you mentioned earlier, and here are the three next to each other:
http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?c5c603e025a5b79a8c08ba0776277d21

Now it's a 40" degree angle from front row. I guess if you're ok with squeezing the mains closer to each other by roughly 1.5 ft then it can work as all speakers covered with 130".

I guess this can work out, but yeah, if it does, it will be close! I would see if you can get an Epson 8500 in there, if only for the significant increase in brightness. I highly doubt the on/off will match, but the absolute blacks should be comparable, from the side-by-side screenshots I've seen.

Good point guys. You guys have jogged my memory that the Pana 3000, if not 4000, was actually comparable in brightess, or in fact less bright, when calibrated and/or in best mode. My bad. I'd really ask about the Epson though. I think even BMX would lean that way if only for his own room conditions and usage.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Wow JM, you are a veritable fount of knowledge. I really appreciate the input.:)

I’m getting a quote from Seymour on a 120” wide (138” diag) 16:9 fixed XD screen. The bottom of the screen will be approx 26” off of the floor. It is currently 42” so this will provide a much better viewing angle for the front row and still be very acceptable for the back.

This will allow me to cover LCR’s and the on-center spread between the mains will be approx 8’. I will be pulling them in a bit and up off of the floor by 24” but I don’t think that will be be an issue. All of the coaxes will be on the same plane and I will experiment with horizontal and vertical orientation of the Center.

Re the projector, I may look into the Epson as the additional lumens would be nice. Projector People has a 14 day return policy so a tryout might be in order if the JVC doesn’t cut it with the Seymour.

In the meantime if brightness is an issue I will try running the JVC in high lamp mode. I can also drop it down a bit and not interfere with rear row viewing. Worst case, I’ll stick my new spare lamp in and see if that does the trick. I really liked the Vivitek LED and can see an LED projector in my future but not @$15K:eek:.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Wow JM, you are a veritable fount of knowledge. I really appreciate the input.:)
Aw, shucks, you're very welcome and it's my pleasure.

I’m getting a quote from Seymour on a 120” wide (138” diag) 16:9 fixed XD screen. The bottom of the screen will be approx 26” off of the floor. It is currently 42” so this will provide a much better viewing angle for the front row and still be very acceptable for the back.
At 13', that is 42.2 degrees, which is just about identical with my angle, roughly, it might even be slightly larger. It is very immersive. I do prefer the rear row for certain older movies. Cartoons, big new blockbuster releases, front row is where it's at. But, just make sure *this* big is right for you. When you do receive the quote, would you please pass it along, PM is fine, I'm just curious, thanks.

This will allow me to cover LCR’s and the on-center spread between the mains will be approx 8’. I will be pulling them in a bit and up off of the floor by 24” but I don’t think that will be be an issue. All of the coaxes will be on the same plane and I will experiment with horizontal and vertical orientation of the Center.
Just curious, is there any particular reason that it could actually sound better in the horiz position? If it's simply due to tweeter height offsets, I doubt that's going to matter much, if say it's only a foot or so.

Re the projector, I may look into the Epson as the additional lumens would be nice. Projector People has a 14 day return policy so a tryout might be in order if the JVC doesn’t cut it with the Seymour.
Ah. I'd ask them directly too. Also ask BMXTRIX. I am much, much less familiar with the DLP models out there, but my impression is that they are even brighter.

In the meantime if brightness is an issue I will try running the JVC in high lamp mode. I can also drop it down a bit and not interfere with rear row viewing. Worst case, I’ll stick my new spare lamp in and see if that does the trick. I really liked the Vivitek LED and can see an LED projector in my future but not @$15K:eek:.
Have you tried the high lamp mode yet? To me, it's waaaay too loud. I know you probably run the system louder than I do, and I also note that your PJ is further away from the ears with the vents not as directly oriented towards the ears. Still, it's pretty darn loud, particularly for quieter scenes. As you might remember, JVC has less lumens increase between these modes, compared to other brands, but from what I see with my own, it's definitely still a big difference to me.

Yet, I still worry with 138" TBH in a good room, but not quite the cave. I'd ask about the Epson VS some DLP, I think of BenQ, but for no real particular reason I can offer right now. *Ok, goes browsing at their site* . . .

Ok, this review from two months ago starts like this:

"The BenQ W6000 was intended to be the brightest projector anywhere near its price for movie watching, and there's no doubt it delivers on that. Few home theater projectors under $10,000 can match the "best mode" brightness of the W6000."

However, the one caveat, you'll have to read it (and he doesn't want to scare you away) is that the iris engaged is more noticeable than with other competition. I quickly looked at PP, it's going for $2.5k. I ran a keyword search at AVS, and sure enough, there is a thread started about lighting up a 130" SMX, and the W6000 was one of the recommendations (until the OP finally stated his budget was 25k with the lens, hah). Unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me if this unit is comparable to my JVC in high lamp mode as far as audible noise.

Nice chattin', I've finished shopping, have to do a little prep tonight, mucho partying, and my brother just bought some COD first person shooter playing it on my HT as I type this, lol . . . he brought over his xbox + the full Beatles rock band too, lol.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, I vote josten to become czar of projection

I haven't seen the 8500, but my 7500 I can basically watch TV with the lights on moderately, off on the row in front of the screen, on everywhere else. I'll add that to the 'take a picture list' and show you what I mean.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis