H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
Looks nice. I can't imagine how well your room sounds. And here I thought you bought yourself something new:D:D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
wow, you work too hard.
No pain, no gain.:)

If this works out like I think it will I'll be ordering two more HT chairs for a 3X3 setup. The dual THSPUDS will accomidate one more chair.

More work to come ...:p
I have decided to in-wall mount the new JTR Triple 8 surrounds one stud bay behind the current Revel in-wall's and leave the back in-walls for the rare 7.1 situations.

Joeteck

Joeteck

Audioholic
This room has gone through some major transformations! Nice work! Those brown panels on the wall and ceiling are for acoustics? and do they make a real difference if your remove them? Why did you finally switch to in-walls for the surrounds and not the front speakers? I would imagine the sound would be different from front to rear. And why did you switch to those ugly huge fronts and center from the gorgeous mahogany speakers you had before? The audio equipment in the wall is a very nice touch! what kind of cooling do you have in the closet to keep it cool? Would you care to share the name of the receiver running this room of enjoyment? A close up picture maybe? Also, you also should have a battery backup for all that stuff. I would figure two APC 1500's should do the trick.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
OK, more changes coming.

I completed the riser construction and two new Berkline's will be arriving early August. I have ordered the following from JTR:

2 Triple 8HT for surrounds
2 Captivator subs to be placed room front under CC.
I also ordered a Crest CC4000 amp to drive the Captivators.

So by mid August I should have a two row six seat theater with dual Danley TH-SPUDS (under riser) and dual Captivators along with the JTR Triple12LF's and the 2010 T8's. I am planning a GTG for the weekend of September 26th and Jeff Permanian has agreed to fly out and EQ my system (using Audyssey Pro) as well as attend the GTG. He will also be upgrading the Xovers on my T12LF's so the system should be pretty well optimized for the GTG.

All in the area are welcome to attend and I think it will be a fun and educational time. Jeff is a great guy and having the designer/builder of the speakers on hand to answer questions will be very cool. I will start a GTG thread as the time gets closer. In the meantime, I will be doing the initial setup and establishing a base line to compare the pre and post Audyssey pro EQing and will take and post some pics here.:cool:

Unfortunately, the video side will not be addressed at this point. I have many issues with CIH, AR's and expensive add-on lensesa and masking solutions. Also, every sample (I have 5) of AT screen fabric looks terrible as compared to my Stewart StudioTech 130 non-AT screen material. I also have issues with screen size and PJ brightness so rather than risk degrading my PQ, I'm going to hold on until I see a clear path (pun intended:p).

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Unfortunately, the video side will not be addressed at this point. I have many issues with CIH, AR's and expensive add-on lensesa and masking solutions. Also, every sample (I have 5) of AT screen fabric looks terrible as compared to my Stewart StudioTech 130 non-AT screen material. I also have issues with screen size and PJ brightness so rather than risk degrading my PQ, I'm going to hold on until I see a clear path (pun intended:p).
rmk, no doubt Stewart represents some of the finest available, but there must be a reason you might not consider DaLite High Power? millerwill of AVS was at the last GTG? He is a proponent of the material, and maybe you guys had a chance to talk about it, I dunno.

If you went for it, I would either move the rear row forward so perceived reflected light is not coming off the PJ itself, or move the PJ rearward if throw allows (most likely it will, especially going bigger), and last and most importantly, lowering the PJ some more.

VERY affordable screen, high ambient light rejection, no fear of dimness!!!! I just received my first free Mack bulb, and I feel kind of bad about taking out my present bulb at 850 hours, because I think it still looks great! And I know you know I have a huge screen.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am planning a GTG for the weekend of September 26th and Jeff Permanian has agreed to fly out and EQ my system (using Audyssey Pro) as well as attend the GTG. He will also be upgrading the Xovers on my T12LF's so the system should be pretty well optimized for the GTG.

All in the area are welcome to attend and I think it will be a fun and educational time.
OK I have this on my calendar. I'm coaching soccer this fall and will call in sick if I have to. ;)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
rmk, no doubt Stewart represents some of the finest available, but there must be a reason you might not consider DaLite High Power? millerwill of AVS was at the last GTG? He is a proponent of the material, and maybe you guys had a chance to talk about it, I dunno.

If you went for it, I would either move the rear row forward so perceived reflected light is not coming off the PJ itself, or move the PJ rearward if throw allows (most likely it will, especially going bigger), and last and most importantly, lowering the PJ some more.

VERY affordable screen, high ambient light rejection, no fear of dimness!!!! I just received my first free Mack bulb, and I feel kind of bad about taking out my present bulb at 850 hours, because I think it still looks great! And I know you know I have a huge screen.
I didn't think Da-Lite made an AT screen except that silly Acoustic Imager with the built in HTIB speaker system:confused:. Also a dealer for both Da-Lite and Stewart talked me out of Da-Lite and he had a demo HP he was selling cheap (and I love a deal;)).

Unlike my audio obsession, with video I'm taking more of an if it ain't broke don't fix it approach. The JVC/Stewart is very good and having the plasma is nice. I am right at the recommended distance for the screen size and i don't really mind the black bars with scope movies. Aesthetic issues (hiding speakers) and your bigger is better posts helped start me down this AT, CIH, anamorphic, auto masking path:confused:. Thanks a lot ...:p

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't think Da-Lite made an AT screen except that silly Acoustic Imager with the built in HTIB speaker system:confused:. Also a dealer for both Da-Lite and Stewart talked me out of Da-Lite and he had a demo HP he was selling cheap (and I love a deal;)).

Unlike my audio obsession, with video I'm taking more of an if it ain't broke don't fix it approach. The JVC/Stewart is very good and having the plasma is nice. I am right at the recommended distance for the screen size and i don't really mind the black bars with scope movies. Aesthetic issues (hiding speakers) and your bigger is better posts helped start me down this AT, CIH, anamorphic, auto masking path:confused:. Thanks a lot ...:p
:eek::eek::D

Oh, I misread your intentions; I thought you threw out the AT possibility, and was simply looking at supersizing, but were only sitting on the fence due to brightness issues. My bad!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
:eek::eek::D

Oh, I misread your intentions; I thought you threw out the AT possibility, and was simply looking at supersizing, but were only sitting on the fence due to brightness issues. My bad!
Nope, AT all the way ba-bee. When (not if;)) I do it, it will be a bigger AT screen & AT screen wall hiding the front speakers/subs. I'm trying to hold out for a native 2.35 dual lens, multi AR projector but that might be awhile (like never:().

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
What viewing angle do you have from the front middle chair?

Are you like 1.5x distance from the screen width?

I'm kinda going back in forth on how big my screen should be.

Also, I remember you were looking at painting.. is the paint in the pictures with what you settled on? I know the VOC was a limiting factor, but, are you happy with the color in terms of video performance? Did you notice any difference.

Cheers

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
What viewing angle do you have from the front middle chair?

Are you like 1.5x distance from the screen width?

I'm kinda going back in forth on how big my screen should be.

Also, I remember you were looking at painting.. is the paint in the pictures with what you settled on? I know the VOC was a limiting factor, but, are you happy with the color in terms of video performance? Did you notice any difference.

Cheers
I'm a bit more than 1.5 (8' wide screen and approx 13' to the middle seat). In terms of viewing angle, we are definitely looking up. Eye level is at or below the bottom of the screen and we use the power chair recline. Not ideal but without an AT screen, not much I can do.

VOC was an issue and yes, I like the paint color (didn't don't want a cave)
. It disappears in all but the brightest scenes but for videophiles, I'm sure it would be unacceptable. My bigger problem is the large white crown molding and the white double doors in the room. Those are a bigger distraction but not enough to get me to paint them.

Last edited:
MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I'm a bit more than 1.5 (8' wide screen and approx 13' to the middle seat). In terms of viewing angle, we are definitely looking up. Eye level is at or below the bottom of the screen and we use the power chair recline. Not ideal but without an AT screen, not much I can do.

VOC was an issue and yes, I like the paint color (didn't don't want a cave)
. It disappears in all but the brightest scenes but for videophiles, I'm sure it would be unacceptable. My bigger problem is the large white crown molding and the white double doors in the room. Those are a bigger distraction but not enough to get me to paint them.
Did you ever look at dropping the screen and firing the center channel up a bit? Maybe that would get the light away from the crown molding a bit? Seems like you got some room to come down.

Nod. I had a dark color and now I want to go light, it just gets depressing being in a dark room all the time. I was thinking of making the front wall a dark color and all the others a light wall (or what my girlfriend calls an "accent" wall), but then I read that the ceiling color also is important..but the girlfriend says that will look stupid. I'm kind of trying to balance the looks/feeling of the room with performance.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Gonna try to keep the hijack at a minimum at rmk's thread, but midnight I wouldn't worry too much with a direct display flat panel. Ceiling is key with angular reflective screen, or back wall is key with a retroreflective screen, for example. I wouldn't sweat it. Your pic is not going to wash out like with a PJ setup. Front wall being that dark is better than most have it for a flat panel, for nice immersion. ;)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Did you ever look at dropping the screen and firing the center channel up a bit? Maybe that would get the light away from the crown molding a bit? Seems like you got some room to come down.

Nod. I had a dark color and now I want to go light, it just gets depressing being in a dark room all the time. I was thinking of making the front wall a dark color and all the others a light wall (or what my girlfriend calls an "accent" wall), but then I read that the ceiling color also is important..but the girlfriend says that will look stupid. I'm kind of trying to balance the looks/feeling of the room with performance.
Dropping the screen is not an option as it also affects the mains. I have them a bit too close to walls as it is. A screen wall is the obvious answer for me but when I do that I really want to do it right and that is expensive.

Bottom line is I am not unhappy with the current video and can wait a bit for technology to give me a solution that fits. Getting the sound right is the current quest and if you read this post it pretty well explains my goals.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Gonna try to keep the hijack at a minimum at rmk's thread, but midnight I wouldn't worry too much with a direct display flat panel. Ceiling is key with angular reflective screen, or back wall is key with a retroreflective screen, for example. I wouldn't sweat it. Your pic is not going to wash out like with a PJ setup. Front wall being that dark is better than most have it for a flat panel, for nice immersion. ;)
No sweat JM, your comments are always welcome.:cool:

But to explain the questions re paint/angles etc, Sensi is considering adding a projector and screen.:)

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I've been littering rmk's PM box with questions, as I prepare for my first projection system. I was going to send another with these questions, but, then figured I should post it in here so the answers were searchable, plus it related to his system ... but, I guess it wasn't helpful since I provided no context.

My bad :eek:

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
OK, big HT working weekend planned. I received the new JTR T8's that will be the surrounds and ordered a pair of the JTR Slanted 8's as surround backs. That means that I will be removing my in-walls and patching sheet rock:(. I'm also working on the HT riser (adding a step), installing two new Berkline chairs and running cables for the new Captivator subs.

The subs and Slanted 8's should be here in mid August and then I will be done ...:p:rolleyes:.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis