New DIY MTM Towers designed by Dennis Murphy and Paul Kittinger

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
I promise I'm not trying to drag this thread along, but I finally polished this polyurethane out and as long as they stay out of the natural sun light, I'm pretty satisfied. I have hundreds of hours into these things and have literally bled on them so I'm happy to say, for the most part, I'm done!

Here are some of the final pictures. I didn't have the ability to edit these nor was this even my camera so please excuse the amateur pics.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Sean - that's the best glossy black I've ever seen :cool:.

This thread should be required reading for any DIY builder who says he wants to finish his speakers with some glossy black paint. You know, nothing complicated like veneer :rolleyes:.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Seriously, stellar work. If I had the money, I'd hire you for a build :D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
blah blah blah....Where's the pics of Hudson?:D

Nice looking speakers. Be proud.:)

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
I guess this means you won't be bangin' me out a set anytime soon. :D
You are most correct sir. Of course, you could come down to visit and we could have a good ol' Uncle Nephew build off.

Is it Vintage Double Cut 1960's ? :cool:
Yes, my step father bought it new in the 60's. She still plays real nice.

Sean - that's the best glossy black I've ever seen :cool:.

This thread should be required reading for any DIY builder who says he wants to finish his speakers with some glossy black paint. You know, nothing complicated like veneer :rolleyes:.
Thanks Swerd! Now that I've done things the hard way, I know how I'd do things differently next time. Automotive clear coat is the way to go. I could have saved myself a lot of time and elbow grease.

we should name these the Dennis Murpjy ERFlection 18
Great name! I'm going to mention that to him. I like "Murphy's Law" myself. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... you could come down to visit and we could have a good ol' Uncle Nephew build off.
I'd love to have a hand in building a matching center but for the finish I would let a shop that does furniture do the spraying. They can get great results with little time investment because of the grade of their equipment and the fact that they're geared up for that stuff with paint booths and air scrubbers to reduce dust.

At my age the only thing I want to spend hundreds of hours doing is nothing. :D

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
I'd love to have a hand in building a matching center but for the finish I would let a shop that does furniture do the spraying. They can get great results with little time investment because of the grade of their equipment and the fact that they're geared up for that stuff with paint booths and air scrubbers to reduce dust.

At my age the only thing I want to spend hundreds of hours doing is nothing. :D

There's a thought. I am hesitant to consider building a center channel though simply because I haven't experienced the benefits of one yet. My thinking is that if the speakers can produce a great soundstage in music, why would I need a center channel with movies? I would almost rather spend my money on surrounds. I probably don't know what I'm talking about and could use some schooling. Maybe I should research it a little and demo some home theaters setups.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe I should research it a little and demo some home theaters setups.
Let Erin have the sweet spot for watching movies. :eek:
That should be all the required research for center channel benefits. :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
There's a thought. I am hesitant to consider building a center channel though simply because I haven't experienced the benefits of one yet. My thinking is that if the speakers can produce a great soundstage in music, why would I need a center channel with movies? I would almost rather spend my money on surrounds. I probably don't know what I'm talking about and could use some schooling. Maybe I should research it a little and demo some home theaters setups.
I think a Center Channel is a positive addition to any setup. I went a year without one and having one is definitely underrated IMO because it makes off axis viewing better. If the size is a concern check out the Loki coaxial. This driver is good enough to make it in Mark's theater and some Christmas will become my center channel.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
There's a thought. I am hesitant to consider building a center channel though simply because I haven't experienced the benefits of one yet. My thinking is that if the speakers can produce a great soundstage in music, why would I need a center channel with movies?
Simply put... because the center channel is a discrete channel in the movie soundtrack. Even if your mains image perfectly, wouldn't you rather only send them the part of the signal that was intended for them?

Same with subwoofers. Even if your mains can do bass, wouldn't you rather send the LFE channel to a dedicated sub?

Last edited:
skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Let Erin have the sweet spot for watching movies. :eek:
That should be all the required research for center channel benefits. :D
Funny you should say that, we had a movie night on Friday with about 8 people. As we were settling in to start the movie and everyone was finding their places, I figured I needed a cold one to drink. When I came back into the living room, the only seat available was the sweet spot. It was as if they were scared to sit there or something. I don't need the sweet spot THAT bad. :rolleyes::D

I see what you're saying though. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm a critical listener of movies like I am with music. When I'm watching, I tend to get caught up in the movie pretty quick and forget about all the imperfections.

BTW, as I'm writing this, Erin yells from the other room "Did you tell Oscar yet?" So I gotta tell ya now. Erin is pregnant. Yep, this will be my finest DIY project yet; a real human! :)

Simply put... because the center channel is a discrete channel in the movie soundtrack. Even if your mains image perfectly, wouldn't you rather only send them the part of the signal that was intended for them?

Same with subwoofers. Even if your mains can do bass, wouldn't you rather send the LFE channel to a dedicated sub?
I see what you're saying GranteedEV. I guess it should be experienced as the engineers intended it to be. Just to play the devils advocate though, if your mains imaged perfectly and played LFE equally as well as a dedicated sub or subs, then it's really just a matter of 'because I can', right?

With that said though, I think what Alex said about giving someone else the sweet spot just says it right there. It's a dedicated channel and should be used as such. I guess now, the only issue is $$. That and I have to build a little stand for the TV so the CC can sit underneath.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I think the ER18DXT would make an interesting center channel match. Not quite a ribbon tweeter but centers sometimes are unique.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Funny you should say that, we had a movie night on Friday with about 8 people. As we were settling in to start the movie and everyone was finding their places, I figured I needed a cold one to drink. When I came back into the living room, the only seat available was the sweet spot. It was as if they were scared to sit there or something. I don't need the sweet spot THAT bad. :rolleyes::D

I see what you're saying though. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm a critical listener of movies like I am with music. When I'm watching, I tend to get caught up in the movie pretty quick and forget about all the imperfections.

BTW, as I'm writing this, Erin yells from the other room "Did you tell Oscar yet?" So I gotta tell ya now. Erin is pregnant. Yep, this will be my finest DIY project yet; a real human! :)

I see what you're saying GranteedEV. I guess it should be experienced as the engineers intended it to be. Just to play the devils advocate though, if your mains imaged perfectly and played LFE equally as well as a dedicated sub or subs, then it's really just a matter of 'because I can', right?

With that said though, I think what Alex said about giving someone else the sweet spot just says it right there. It's a dedicated channel and should be used as such. I guess now, the only issue is $$. That and I have to build a little stand for the TV so the CC can sit underneath.
First congratulations!

I think the issue of center channels is somewhat overrated. I know I have heard systems that would be better off without a center channel.

With my rig there really is very little difference whether you use it or not. If I could do a blind AB I bet you would have a hard time picking the in or out.

The big advantage I find is it allows you to touch up the balance. There are some SACDs and Blue Ray music discs where the engineers got the balance wrong. When wrong the center is invariably too loud. I have my rig with the center level on a potentiometer, so I don't have to fuss with menus to change it. I can change it on the fly, in totally linear old fashioned style. That is an advantage.

The biggest problem is that centers tend to interfere with the mains. You need a nice cone shaped distribution pattern, just covering the listening area.

I don't use a sub either, but I do keep the LFE discrete and I decide how it should be mixed in and not the receiver. I have no trouble really shaking the floor and I'm not using sub drivers. I have lots of spl, and I'm yet to bottom a driver. So subs are not something you have to have, and I designed this system to be better off without one.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Erin is pregnant.
She must be like the happiest pregnant woman ever.
Is she glowing yet? Congratulations. :)

I have to build a little stand for the TV so the CC can sit underneath.
How about a wall mount? I like the Peerless wall mounts that were recommended to me by BMXTRIX. I used them for my Panny and Walter's Pioneer. Sawzalot built a cool box on his wall that pushes the TV into the room.

Every once in a while I get a movie that just has a stereo soundtrack and I don't have any issues not using the center but TLS' system is a little beyond the scope of normal. Just because he can get away without a center and a sub doesn't mean anybody else can pull it off.

The ER18's are a done deal design wise.
Getting a matching center over to Dennis Murphy for a crossover design seems important.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Congrats on the new upcoming DIY, they are the most unique fun projects one can ever imagine and the finish on them well that in itself is almost impossible.I have been at it for 23 years and still tweaking it everyday :)
Changes constantly.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis