New bookself speakers dont play good enouph

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Go into your AVR and try raising the levels of just your front three speakers by 3 dB, maybe. All of mine are In the negative, too. but it might help.

Also, even if just for the short term, change your volume display to relative instead of absolute. This will put it in terms of decibels below and above reference level. It will be easier for us to talk SPL. If you are turning it up to +10, whereas most of us listen at -10, say...
I did it gives loudness yes, but disturbs the sound quality i think. I will test it more with music tomorrow. I changed sound scale to DB thank you. -18 this moment, listening the news.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I did it gives loudness yes, but disturbs the sound quality i think. I will test it more with music tomorrow. I changed sound scale to DB thank you. -18 this moment, listening the news.
Cool... so I do most of my listening at -15... music, primarily. Movies I like to turn up a bit more: -10 - -5. Rarely have I pushed it to 0 or above.
I know it was suggested way back on the first page, but it could just be as simple as the signal chain. If Netflix for you os a low strength signal for some reason, that would explain part of it, or how you have what is streaming netflix connected to your AVR.
I always choose to use my Blu-Ray player over the TV for streaming. That works great for me and all the uses: CD, Blu-Ray, any streaming from Netflix to Hulu to Amazon.

Take time to keep experimenting! And it's never too early to plan and save for a speaker upgrade. :p :cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
-18 on a relative scale for movies is pretty normal for me. However, by raising the trim levels for each channel by three, I'd expect you've also changed the relative volume to -15 now (but same could happen if you merely raise the source input level up by 3dB....did you ever try that?).

Do you have a phone you can download an spl meter app with and measure from your seat? Might be helpful to correlate at least the readings of the app vs the volume shown on your avr from your seat.

Is your seat still up against the back wall? Or am I just thinking of Pogre's picture of the rug?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I am answering to both of you. I am raising the volume to 83-85 to enjoy a netflix movie. Out of 98. I wonder if this is normal or i have bad settings or a faulty speaker or a faulty aplifier.
I am showing levels because i dont know what to put instead of audyssey numbers. Someone proposed me to add 3.
And yes i did. It breaks the sound and i get a volume increase also.
Did puting up the dB help?

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Did puting up the dB help?
Yes and no. It increased the volume but i think i am loosing the quality. I reversed it back to old values. The DB values are increasing symetrical? If no, we are destroying the sound balance. I cant add 3 points for example from each speaker.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
-18 on a relative scale for movies is pretty normal for me. However, by raising the trim levels for each channel by three, I'd expect you've also changed the relative volume to -15 now (but same could happen if you merely raise the source input level up by 3dB....did you ever try that?).

Do you have a phone you can download an spl meter app with and measure from your seat? Might be helpful to correlate at least the readings of the app vs the volume shown on your avr from your seat.

Is your seat still up against the back wall? Or am I just thinking of Pogre's picture of the rug?
Is it recommended to raise input source? And we leave it like this for everything? Movies music netflix?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is it recommended to raise input source? And we leave it like this for everything? Movies music netflix?
The purpose of the source input level adjustment is to make the volume relatively level between different input sources....it doesn't give you a particular advantage except when changing from source to source with different input levels....I use mine for my turntable's analog input particularly as it is relatively low level compared to my digital sources....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Any good?
From your other thread... maybe... too confused at this point to keep it all straight:
Not gonna beat the subwoofer horse. ;)
Now... you asked about the Schroeder Frequency. Look at your graphs, the green ones, what Audyssey measured. Though they are all rather jagged, you should be able to see the change that occurs on your center and mains right around 200Hz. This is approximately where the Schroeder Frequency of your room lies.
So what to do... but first, a side note.
Your left main is a mess. Unless you have connections crossed, I’m gonna guess that that is the one smack up against the wall. Compared to the right, you can see the diffraction in the measurements. Whether it is audible, I can’t say, but visually it is there. This is why many suggested that you try to rearrange some.
Ok, back to the other.
Your in room response, according to your Aud measurements, is rough. They all look jagged, but yours is a little more jagged than others I’ve seen. You likely are benefiting from having Aud work full spectrum. If your response was a little smoother, I would say you could experiment with using audyssey below the Schroeder Frequency, which you can set through your app.
Now, since you have the app... if you really wanted to look deeper, that is where Room EQ Wizard would come in. It’s not necessary, and will only be worthwhile if you want to tinker.
That said, my guess, based on poor memory to be certain, is that you have a lot of reflections in your room that are bouncing soundwaves all over the place. You could get a rug for the floor in front of your speakers. I would rearrange and get your left speaker away from that wall, and maybe even put some kind of absorption/diffraction panel on that wall at the first reflection point.

And yes, even though I said I wasn’t gonna beat the horse... I’m gonna nudge gently... that Subwoofer needs help. :)

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
1) how i use this shroader frequency below 200 from the app. Tell me excactly what i have to do.
Check also the first post of this thread. Your can see my room.
I will put carpets and measure again. I will change position of the subwoofer too. I will try to sell this sub, they will take it half price at least nobody wants it ::(
Anyway. For now tell me if i need amplifier with XT32. I will take denon 3500H and i will sell marantz5013. And i will add money too to achive this. 100-130€.
For now tell me what i do with my aplifier.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Part of our hobby is to make the best with what we have! :)

As I said, until you can clean up your overall room response, I think you are better off using Room Correction for the full range REGARDLESS of whether it is Audyssey XT or XT32.

If you can get your room to be a little more friendly to the sound and are able to tame the Frequency Response you see up high, THEN AND ONLY THEN would I suggest using the XT32 App to adjust the Correction Range downwards. This is done using the "MultiEQ Filter Frequency Range" option when you are in the actual correction file. If you choose to use this, Audyssey will not correct above where you set the limit. I would shoot for 250Hz in your case, based on what I see from what you posted.

Please take time... enjoy what you have.
Learn about how you can improve and WHY. You don't have to become a professional acoustics expert. Gaining some understanding of how a soundwave behaves will guide you through better setup, and help you make better decisions in the future.

Most of us here look for ways to help us get the best performance for the least money. Some don't have that as a concern... others do. This hobby can be ridiculously expensive if we let it. Throwing money at a problem won't always make it better.

Tackle some of the small things, like your room. Experiment with moving things around (free!) and covering some hard surfaces that reflect large amounts of sound (inexpensive). Maybe by then you will see a slight improvement and the next step will be more easily available!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You might be able to tweak things in a little bit better, but with that sub you have there's only so much you can do. You can't turn a Prius into a high performance race car by simply making sure all your fluids are topped off and the tires have the right air pressure in them. It will only do what it can do.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
If you can get your room to be a little more friendly to the sound and are able to tame the Frequency Response you see up high, THEN AND ONLY THEN would I suggest using the XT32 App to adjust the Correction Range downwards. This is done using the "MultiEQ Filter Frequency Range" option when you are in the actual correction file. If you choose to use this, Audyssey will not correct above where you set the limit. I would shoot for 250Hz in your case, based on what I see from what you posted.
The only things i do is run audyssey and go to speaker detection settings. I set speakers to small, set the crossover at 100hz (i can put to different value if u want) correct subwoofer distance and increase little the sub value. I just add +1 db because is booming otherwise. I left the speakers the way they are no changes.

So is it anything else to do to audyssey app? Am i setting this 250hz to Filter frequency Range? If i do this, all the right side turns to black, above 250 hz. Also it has 3 options front center and subwoofer.
Also i changed the subwoofer i changed position of speakers i have 10 different measurements i spent 2 hours testing

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
First, please read what I said very carefully.
I think you should let room correction work for the full range of your room... until such a time that you achieve a better response above 300 Hz. ;)
The caveat is that you have to use your ears, too. This will not be an easy fix! I spent weeks making small adjustments, back and forth, listening to the same music... paying careful attention to the changes I heard. deciding what sounded better.

So you made some adjustments... did you see better responses? was there something you liked better than your original?

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
I dunno for sure what graph is better than the other. I dont know if they are better. I didnt play music i just run audyssey and take different measurements.
....you want me to upload?
First, please read what I said very carefully.
I think you should let room correction work for the full range of your room... until such a time that you achieve a better response above 300 Hz.
what do you mean by that? What i have to do tell me specific to achive that.
I read very carefully i just didnt understand. Its the language barrier Pogre said :(

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
The only things i do is run audyssey and go to speaker detection settings. I set speakers to small, set the crossover at 100hz (i can put to different value if u want) correct subwoofer distance and increase little the sub value. I just add +1 db because is booming otherwise. I left the speakers the way they are no changes.

So is it anything else to do to audyssey app? Am i setting this 250hz to Filter frequency Range? If i do this, all the right side turns to black, above 250 hz. Also it has 3 options front center and subwoofer.
Also i changed the subwoofer i changed position of speakers i have 10 different measurements i spent 2 hours testing
I wouldn’t change the subwoofer distance other than what Audyssey set it at. The distance of the subwoofer may be different then the actual ruler measurement because it needs a slight delay to phase match your other speakers or subs.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
I wouldn’t change the subwoofer distance other than what Audyssey set it at. The distance of the subwoofer may be different then the actual ruler measurement because it needs a slight delay to phase match your other speakers or subs.
I have svs wireless link so more delay...it says 9 meters :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Its the language barrier Pogre said
Yes. I'm trying to be very simple in how I explain to make the translation easier.

We have a saying: To go off the deep end. It implies that you are 'going crazy' or are 'out of control.' You are obsessing about things that take time and understanding to fix. :) We will all help as best we can! Promise.

If you look at a speaker chart from the manufacturer, it is very smooth and pretty. Right? Unless you have a special room, you will never see that in real life.
When we look at these graphs that we create with our own measurements, they are never as pretty. There are many variables that affect this. We have discussed this with you before. Things like how close to a wall, is there carpeting, are there other hard surfaces that the sound is reflecting off of... these all contribute to the problem you are experiencing.
Little by little, you should look at your room from the speakers perspective. Some reflection is necessary, but too much is bad. an example using your Front Left: Sound will hit the left wall, the floor, the right wall, and the ceiling, all at different times, and then it will go to your ears, all at different times. To combat this, we have suggested getting away from that wall on the left and using a rug. These two actions would change the way the sound interacts with the room.
If I were to do this, I would first look hard at how I have my equipment arranged and try to find a better way to set it up. Maybe you cannot, but that is the FIRST thing. Once I did that, I would measure.
Then I would look for solutions to help smooth things out more. Carpet/rug with a pad underneath on floor in front of main speakers. Other room decorations to help absorb sound. And so forth.

Your environment has a very significant impact on your speakers. The absolute best, most expensive speakers can be ruined by bad placement. While mediocre speakers in the same room could possibly sound better.

@killbill13 , do you understand so far?

I cannot tell you a specific solution, because I am not there. Much the same way I had to solve my problems on my own through trial and error.

Please always keep in mind that as a hobby, we need to enjoy what we are doing. Please do not fret too much! :) Slow down and take it step my step.

Perhaps, a better way considering how long this thread has gotten is to start fresh. Begin a new thread with your setup and graphs. This would be the better place to begin that:
Start with current set up, and then make a change so we can see the before and after. Perhaps then we can start to give you better advice.
One problem now is that we have lost any point of reference to where you started and whether you have done anything, and what you may have done.

Best,
R

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes. I'm trying to be very simple in how I explain to make the translation easier.

We have a saying: To go off the deep end. It implies that you are 'going crazy' or are 'out of control.' You are obsessing about things that take time and understanding to fix. :) We will all help as best we can! Promise.
Or he could have things about as good as they're going to get, given the equipment he's working with. He's been at this for weeks now and even did some legwork and made improvements, but it still doesn't meet his expectations. More can be learned, yes and maybe some more tweaking could help a little, but...

I'm turning into a broken record, I know, but I think he's reached the limit of what his system can do and it's time for a better sub. At the least a better sub. From what I recall his speakers aren't too bad, but you know that subwoofer leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm calling an intervention right now! Bill... this is for your own good. You need a better subwoofer. I think you've squeezed everything out of that sub you possibly can and it's time to get honest with yourself man. I truly believe that's your path to sonic bliss and you'll find what you're missing in sound quality. It's time to face facts and start moving forward. We're here for you. Stay strong, we know you can do it!

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Or he could have things about as good as they're going to get with the given equipment he's working with. He's been at this for weeks now and even did some legwork and made improvements, but it still doesn't meet his expectations. More can be learned, yes and maybe some more tweaking could help a little, but...

I'm turning into a broken record, I know, but I think he's reached the limit of what his system can do and it's time for a better sub. At the least a better sub. From what I recall his speakers aren't too bad, but you know that subwoofer leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm calling an intervention right now! Bill... this is for your own good. You need a better subwoofer. I think you've squeezed everything out of that sub you possibly can and it's time to get honest with yourself man. I truly believe that's your path to sonic bliss and you'll find what you're missing in sound quality. It's time to face facts and start moving forward. We're here for you. Stay strong, we know you can do it!
I agree about the sub. Maybe also he could go demo more speakers to see what’s out there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis