Need suggestions on how to turn my room into an Atmos-enabled home theater

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I accept!
My favorite is fresh squeezed IPA by deschutes. Had a couple milkshake IPA’s that I like too. Of course this time of year when the temp starts going down, stouts and porters hit the spot a little better. Mmmmmmm

I accept! If you had the cash...

Well, in their stable the 6400/6500 is incrementally the next one up, but I think to get any more performance the 8400/8500 would be required. Their sister company Marantz makes good receivers too, but I think for the same money Denon is the better value. I’m might also be the only person alive who like the useless porthole lol!
I know it’s not Atmos but I have an Onkyo txnr808 that I’d like to sell to help finance my 4400! It’s a beast, rated at 135 watts times seven. The 805 is a legendary beast of power, and after that, they started to go down in performance despite the power ratings. I think the 808 might be the last one that was anywhere the 805 on the test bench, by onkyo anyways. I’d love to sell it to you, but truthfully in good conscience, I couldn’t. IMO, I’d rather see you get something with an eye on the future.
Maybe Danzilla needs to get you one of his $300 deals. Still wondering how he pulled that one! :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Denon 4400 is a great AVR. Ya my point was mostly about dropping down to say Denon 3400 for $600 and saving $200 vs buying a 4400 for $800. Then applying the $200 towards front 3 speakers and sub or subs. I would stay at a min of 90w/ch in any case to have some AVR power.

It’s fun to dissect what really matters if someone has tossed out a budget that is near $3k vs double or triple that budget. But ya there are systems worth more than my house and anywhere in between. :)

PS. Towers are fun but often the same series speaker is available in a bookshelf version for much less.
Yeah, i agree with the Bookshelf thing. I think many times buying BS in the same line as some towers can represent better value. However, IME, and in my house, for the way I listen BS speakers just don’t do it. Even ones that get loud, just don’t excite the airwaves with as much weight and scale. What that means for ME anyway, is save longer for what I want instead of going with the lowest common denominator.l just to get it done. In my bedroom though, I do have BS’s and they’re just fine.

I also think the 90wpc recommendation is pretty good. I’ve seen it stated that the difference between 105w and 125w is basically moot, and academically I think that’s true. However I did an experiment once with two AVR’s I happened to have here. My 135w Onkyo, and my 125w pioneer.
So my buddy brought over a BD of a fun little band called Rush. R30 was the title and it sounds amazing. Starting with the onk we started watching at MV-20 and went up from there. At -0 it sounded very much like being there! Great dynamics, clear sound etc. awesome!!! He looked over at me with the stupidest smile on his face. It was great. Then we swapped it out for the pio, and ran mcacc. Tried it again and by about -15 you could tell it was running out of gas. Until then. Mcacc did great, and the sound was good, but it was obvious that the “concert” experience we had before was not gonna happen. I also noticed the same phenomenon with movies. This is all anecdotal of course so take it with a grain of salt. Just thought it’d be of interest, and also that my findings haven’t followed the academic applications of watts and such. Dinnertime...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, i agree with the Bookshelf thing. I think many times buying BS in the same line as some towers can represent better value. However, IME, and in my house, for the way I listen BS speakers just don’t do it. Even ones that get loud, just don’t excite the airwaves with as much weight and scale. What that means for ME anyway, is save longer for what I want instead of going with the lowest common denominator.l just to get it done. In my bedroom though, I do have BS’s and they’re just fine.

I also think the 90wpc recommendation is pretty good. I’ve seen it stated that the difference between 105w and 125w is basically moot, and academically I think that’s true. However I did an experiment once with two AVR’s I happened to have here. My 135w Onkyo, and my 125w pioneer.
So my buddy brought over a BD of a fun little band called Rush. R30 was the title and it sounds amazing. Starting with the onk we started watching at MV-20 and went up from there. At -0 it sounded very much like being there! Great dynamics, clear sound etc. awesome!!! He looked over at me with the stupidest smile on his face. It was great. Then we swapped it out for the pio, and ran mcacc. Tried it again and by about -15 you could tell it was running out of gas. Until then. Mcacc did great, and the sound was good, but it was obvious that the “concert” experience we had before was not gonna happen. I also noticed the same phenomenon with movies. This is all anecdotal of course so take it with a grain of salt. Just thought it’d be of interest, and also that my findings haven’t followed the academic applications of watts and such. Dinnertime...
Ya this is why I was asking the OP what music he listens to but yes the same applies to movies and how loud you like it. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hmm wonder what the delay is. Think they have been “in the works” since 2017. :)
When I asked him about it he said they are being obsessive about making sure these were a step up from they're previous models. He said they are going after a ceartin target of performance and wanted to make sure they can back up what they're saying about the line. He was so stoked about the final product getting ready for production. Some of the things he was saying they will be able to do the quality they were shooting well he got me stoked too those guys are too obsessive about putting out a great product and just too much of straight up people for them to just be blowing out those comments with hot air

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The things I needed to do to get that deal. Sob I'm sorry guys I I...... Just can't talk about it yet! Maybe after therapy tho. But for some reason I think I can live with it. :D
It’s cool. Won’t judge...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
When I asked him about it he said they are being obsessive about making sure these were a step up from they're previous models. He said they are going after a ceartin target of performance and wanted to make sure they can back up what they're saying about the line. He was so stoked about the final product getting ready for production. Some of the things he was saying they will be able to do the quality they were shooting well he got me stoked too those guys are too obsessive about putting out a great product and just too much of straight up people for them to just be blowing out those comments with hot air
That’s what Joe told me too. I thought they had it dialed in a couple months ago but maybe not!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That’s what Joe told me too. I thought they had it dialed in a couple months ago but maybe not!
I think now it's just production stuff he was saying they should be on they're website to buy in November late or December for sure

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think now it's just production stuff he was saying they should be on they're website to buy in November late or December for sure
Do you have other RSL speakers besides the 34e? Those fall out of the ceiling on you yet? :) I just received 250ft of 12 awg speaker wire. Time for me to figure out where to place the cutouts. 5.1.4 is going to be sweet! :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Do you have other RSL speakers besides the 34e? Those fall out of the ceiling on you yet? :) I just received 250ft of 12 awg speaker wire. Time for me to figure out where to place the cutouts. 5.1.4 is going to be sweet! :)
Just they're speedwoofer 10s right now for my bedroom setup I like that one so much I plan buying a second one to put in they're for that price a really great setup. I'm TOYING with putting 2 PB 1000's in they're and moving the speedwoofer 10s's over to my office setup one thing I know I won't ever sell it those speedwoofer 10s are an awesome subwoofer. As for the ceiling falling? Not yet!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They're is a new link on they're website talking about the cg5 line debuting this winter you can sign up for early info updates and preorder access

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Just they're speedwoofer 10s right now for my bedroom setup I like that one so much I plan buying a second one to put in they're for that price a really great setup. I'm TOYING with putting 2 PB 1000's in they're and moving the speedwoofer 10s's over to my office setup one thing I know I won't ever sell it those speedwoofer 10s are an awesome subwoofer. As for the ceiling falling? Not yet!
Interesting, what speakers do you pair with the RSL? I have a Rythmik L12 sub in my bedroom 2.1 with the Canton Vento 820.2 but had considered the RSL at the time vs the Rythmik. I had to keep it WAF friendly :)

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Ya maybe what I meant to say is that the right combination of bookshelves and subs usually won’t need as much amplification from the AVR. This is a way to possibly buy a mid level AVR with most of the features of the high end AVR. It may be wise to divert funds towards bookshelves and subs and mid level AVR vs towers and higher end AVR and possibly even avoid expensive external amps as well. The goal in this method is to free up funds in a budget for quality subs of course. :)
I know I keep asking, just trying to learn and know what to research and why. So I’ll use the Denon 4400 as the benchmark “mid level” receiver here that gives great value, features, and sufficient power for most anything I’d probably ever want to accomplish. If I was one that did want to step it up, where would I be looking next? And laterally would say an Onkyo 920 compare favorably in the “mid level” category? PS. Spent this morning trying to read over and understand impedance and ohms and sensitivity and crossover and all these sound entities. It’s coming...slowly. :)

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Ya this is why I was asking the OP what music he listens to but yes the same applies to movies and how loud you like it. :)
I’m a rocker, like punk and rock the best, but my wife would be more general pop type stuff.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I know I keep asking, just trying to learn and know what to research and why. So I’ll use the Denon 4400 as the benchmark “mid level” receiver here that gives great value, features, and sufficient power for most anything I’d probably ever want to accomplish. If I was one that did want to step it up, where would I be looking next? And laterally would say an Onkyo 920 compare favorably in the “mid level” category? PS. Spent this morning trying to read over and understand impedance and ohms and sensitivity and crossover and all these sound entities. It’s coming...slowly. :)
Keep reading and learning the better you understand stuff before you buy the better you can make decisions when you buy. I already made a mistake on my system that I'll need to pay for to correct. That would've been avoided if I'd just asked some of these guys some stuff before I made the decision on that part of my system. As far as Onkyo I'd steer away from them. They've had a lottof issues from HDMI boards and stuff on they're units my onkyo txn9809 is already buggy on its one why I switched to the Denon. They may have fixed the issues and maybe some new Onkyo owners can help give input but that's my 2 cents I'd go with Denon or Marantz and really Id go with Denon just think you get a tiny bit more of bang for your buck with Denon. The same company owns both Denon and Marantz anyway you can't go wrong there

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So you say your budget is around 2500? What you spent for the TV? Hmmmm. That is a challenge I'll have to really research some options hopefully some of the fellas on this thread that I learn from can come up with some great ideas as well.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting, what speakers do you pair with the RSL? I have a Rythmik L12 sub in my bedroom 2.1 with the Canton Vento 820.2 but had considered the RSL at the time vs the Rythmik. I had to keep it WAF friendly :)
Just some in wall speakers that were already installed running them off a Sonos Connect Amp I picked up off of Bjorn's on a sale. I didn't want a complicated setup. Just 2.1 I'll give a) that subwoofer and b) that connect amp some credit they really make it sound better then it should even though the wall speakers are subpar it sounds pretty gosh darn good. Eventually I plan on buying another speedwoofer 10s and stacking them to get that 6db boost there's one spot in the room that sounds the best for subs with the layout I have. And since those subs blend so so well I'm gonna buy some golden ear triton plus 2's for a pretty killer 2.2 setup. I've always wanted to try those towers out. I'll run them with the onkyo nr809 since its 140 ×2 channels driven till it craps out. Then figure something else out. But all that is stuff for another day. A long long ways away. I wanna get the main theater room setup first

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Just some in wall speakers that were already installed running them off a Sonos Connect Amp I picked up off of Bjorn's on a sale. I didn't want a complicated setup. Just 2.1 I'll give a) that subwoofer and b) that connect amp some credit they really make it sound better then it should even though the wall speakers are subpar it sounds pretty gosh darn good. Eventually I plan on buying another speedwoofer 10s and stacking them to get that 6db boost there's one spot in the room that sounds the best for subs with the layout I have. And since those subs blend so so well I'm gonna buy some golden ear triton plus 2's for a pretty killer 2.2 setup. I've always wanted to try those towers out. I'll run them with the onkyo nr809 since its 140 ×2 channels driven till it craps out. Then figure something else out. But all that is stuff for another day. A long long ways away. I wanna get the main theater room setup first
Ya I’m focusing on my theater room as well now. If I had done that back in April I would be done by now. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis