Need suggestions on how to turn my room into an Atmos-enabled home theater

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
I've enclosed a picture. I've been researching for months. Now, I'm a layman and don't understand half this stuff mind you, but from what I'm seeing and hearing I can't get speakers to bounce off the ceiling the way I have my TV and couch situated, and I don't plan on moving them. If I wanted to go the AV receiver route then, what would be a good choice as we sit here currently in October of 2018? Can they all do 3.1.2, for example? Would that be the way to go and just wire two speakers into the ceiling for Atmos? Is there a more efficient way that will be just as good?

As far as soundbars go, should I consider maybe the LGSK10Y to simply heighten the sound or maybe even the new Samsung N950? I know my ceilings are funky.

What would be a smart setup that would wok for me (sports, movies) for a fair price? I know we could spent uber amounts and make any room sing, but what do y'all think? I swear I think I'm changing my mind every other day on the best way to approach this. As of now, I have no idea what I should do.

Thank you much!!

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
First of all, a base 5.1 or 7.1 system would be far more useful than the height channels of Atmos. Given your seating arrangement, I am not so sure Atmos could even work out for you. One possible way that you might be able to add height channels is through SVS Prime Elevation speakers. If you mount those to the slanted angle of your walls/ceiling in such a way that they aim right at your listening position, that might work.

Anyway, what is your budget? How large can the speakers and subs be for you? By the way, I would do whatever I could to avoid soundbars if I were you.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey good luck on your room and your setup! I'm going through quiet a journey getting mine setup. This forum is the best I've ever been on you'll meet a lot of really great people to help you get things going. Like Shady said a couple of questions to help get you started. #1 Could we get more pics of the room please. Front entry I'm assuming the window is the back wall. Is the room open to other areas? Need to see the whole layout to better make suggestions
#2 What's the exact measuresments of the room? From front entrance to back wall. From side wall to side wall? How high are the ceilings. From these we can help you determine if it's a small medium or large size room. And help you calculate the cubic feet of air. Hope I'm saying that right. Knowing the room size and volume of air helps you decide what speakers to buy the best reciever for that room the size and power and type of subwoofer you'll need and hope you'll go dual subs by the way lol.
#3 After narrowing that down then it comes to budget. How much do you want to spend on speakers and subs the most important part to build your system around I'm learning. How much on a reciever? TV? This ties in to question 4.
#4 Based on the room it's layout size and your budget then you can figurine out what type of system you want. 5.1 or 7.1 5.2 or 7.2? Or if atmos 5.2.4? Etc etc. Also what do you want your system to do. More movies or more music? Or do you want both? Gaming TV sports do you do a lot of streaming? Depending on what you want the system to do determines the type of speakers and equipment you'll buy for the budget you'll have.
Like Shady says it's better to start simple with a base system like a 5.1 or 7.1 and build from there. Simpler the better cuz you'll learn as you build it and if you get the bug like we do you'll always be upgrading tweeking and fine tuning as time goes by.
Please don't buy a sound bar. Its up to you but if you do this right even a simple 5.1 or 7.1 setup will blow that sound bar away.
Best of luck to you on this its a lottof fun. Don't hesitate to ask for clarification on things we say the better you can get what the guys here are trying to explain to you the better your room will turn out to be. I can guarantee you that.
P.S. just a quick example of what I'm talking about based on that picture the couch and the TV are in a tough spot to set up any surround system. You would need to rearrange that setup to pull it off. But we will need more info to help you understand why. Take care!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I've enclosed a picture. I've been researching for months. Now, I'm a layman and don't understand half this stuff mind you, but from what I'm seeing and hearing I can't get speakers to bounce off the ceiling the way I have my TV and couch situated, and I don't plan on moving them. If I wanted to go the AV receiver route then, what would be a good choice as we sit here currently in October of 2018? Can they all do 3.1.2, for example? Would that be the way to go and just wire two speakers into the ceiling for Atmos? Is there a more efficient way that will be just as good?

As far as soundbars go, should I consider maybe the LGSK10Y to simply heighten the sound or maybe even the new Samsung N950? I know my ceilings are funky.

What would be a smart setup that would wok for me (sports, movies) for a fair price? I know we could spent uber amounts and make any room sing, but what do y'all think? I swear I think I'm changing my mind every other day on the best way to approach this. As of now, I have no idea what I should do.

Thank you much!!
Double P.S. Lol like Shady mentioned on Atmos if your not willing to rearrange that TV and couch I'm not sure if it's possible to pull atmos off from there. To better understand why if you go to Dolby's web site and look at they're layouts for atmos see the diagrams and where the speakers need to be placed it'll help you see why

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
I’ll take more pics with different angles and will try to give rough measurements this afternoon when I’m home from work. I know with my couch against the wall it eliminates the back surround speakers. I was wondering if a 3.1.2 would be a feasible base but solid setup if done right mostly? My plan, if that’s even a feasible option then, would be to start with a solid AV receiver that’s future proof as possible for the money. I want to spend no more than 800 in that regard, and it has to be able to do 3.1.2. My next plan would be solid front tower speakers, maybe 700-800 there, too, and ones that relegate an independent sub as necessary but not immediately necessary. I was going to pay to have the Atmos speakers wired into my ceiling and pointed at my listening position for height.

I also will consider and listen to suggestions of rearranging the room to maximize the sound. My TV is an LG OLED C7. More later...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I’ll take more pics with different angles and will try to give rough measurements this afternoon when I’m home from work. I know with my couch against the wall it eliminates the back surround speakers. I was wondering if a 3.1.2 would be a feasible base but solid setup if done right mostly? My plan, if that’s even a feasible option then, would be to start with a solid AV receiver that’s future proof as possible for the money. I want to spend no more than 800 in that regard, and it has to be able to do 3.1.2. My next plan would be solid front tower speakers, maybe 700-800 there, too, and ones that relegate an independent sub as necessary but not immediately necessary. I was going to pay to have the Atmos speakers wired into my ceiling and pointed at my listening position for height.

I also will consider and listen to suggestions of rearranging the room to maximize the sound. My TV is an LG OLED C7. More later...
Don't try to force Atmos in a situation that it is not appropriate for. Future proofing is fine, but having regular surround channels is a lot more important than Atmos height channels. Get the base 5.1 right before you worry about Atmos. Anything else will result in a worse sound than is needed. I am not even sure than any receivers can do 3.1.2. You will have to check their manual for this, but they might need the bed 5 channel surround setup first before they can tackle Atmos channels, especially in the price range you are looking at.

If I were you, I would look at starting with some decent bookshelf speakers and a good subwoofer or two, rather than tower speakers. You will not be using the lower bass extension of tower speakers and are not likely to use their extra dynamic range either since you are seated so close to your system. Just go with bookshelf speakers for fronts- tower speakers won't have any real advantages for you and will just cost more.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
This site has a review of the Pioneeer VSX-832, which does 3.1.2. I think the Denon 3400 can do it, too.

I guess it's Atmos's way of making this format somewhat obtainable for people like me with less than ideal rooms?

I had no idea this was so complicated. So tower speakers would be overkill, huh? Bummer.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This site has a review of the Pioneeer VSX-832, which does 3.1.2. I think the Denon 3400 can do it, too.

I guess it's Atmos's way of making this format somewhat obtainable for people like me with less than ideal rooms?

I had no idea this was so complicated. So tower speakers would be overkill, huh? Bummer.
It's only complicated starting off as you learn it gets easier and a lottoff fun. Tower speakers are only overkill with the way your room is currently set up. Where your couch and TV are at your just too close too really need them. But good bookshelves and subs in your space will ROCK especially in the budget your starting off with. But if you really want to go all out on this that room has potential. It just depends on what your willing to rearrange with the furniture and layout how far are you willing to go and how willing are you to dedicate that room to a home theater. Like Shady says surrounds are way more important then atmos. Skip the atmos stuff right now especially if you want the TV And couch to stay right there. Heck a proper 2 channel with 2 good bookshelves and 1 or 2 subs 2.1 or 2.2 or even 3 channel 3.2. or 3.1 would be a better start then trying to force atmos. And a lot more in your budget. Like has been mentioned start the foundation right and if you really do that right you can always rearrange and upgrade later. Look forward to seeing the pics and measurements my friend and hearing from you later! This should be a little difficult right now getting the basics right is critical for saving money down the road. But it will be worth it to get it right now then have to fix something or change something down the road. Take care!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Its not that complicated, but by insisting on Atmos, you are complicating it. I'm not saying it can't be done, I am just saying the bed 5.1 mix is far more important. If you really want Atmos, here is something you need to go over.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Okay, here's a few different angles of the room including one from sitting on the couch looking at the TV. I'm open to changing the room around if necessary though not sure how to do it and have the amount of open space I have now.

Also, the dimensions of the rooms are as follows:
Ceiling Height, 8 feet
Width, 14'10"
Total Length from doorway, 290 inches (little over 24 feet)

I guesstimated that the flat part of the ceiling is roughly six feet across as well.

So with all that being said, if I was hellbent on Atmos, is that even a remote possibility? Heck, is even a standard 5.1 possible? And if I did want to rearrange the room, in which manner would be optimal, and how would that enable me to do?

Also, for my education, why are soundbars, even the new Samsung N950 setup, for example, not the way to go for most?

I'm fine with piecing the system together that I choose, just need something right now that's better than the TV speakers on the OLED.

I guess I should start with a receiver and bookshelf type speakers and a sub or a 2.1 setup initially and go from there?

You have no idea how much I appreciate this advice. I have been spinning my tires for literally months here. I did go to a home surround sound type store, which recommended if I wanted Atmos to put the two speakers in the ceiling above me, would be my only option for it because of the funky ceilings I have. Other than that, it's all been reading, reviewing, and changing my mind constantly as I have no clue what the hell I'm doing!! Haha.

Attachments

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay, here's a few different angles of the room including one from sitting on the couch looking at the TV. I'm open to changing the room around if necessary though not sure how to do it and have the amount of open space I have now.

Also, the dimensions of the rooms are as follows:
Ceiling Height, 8 feet
Width, 14'10"
Total Length from doorway, 290 inches (little over 24 feet)

I guesstimated that the flat part of the ceiling is roughly six feet across as well.

So with all that being said, if I was hellbent on Atmos, is that even a remote possibility? Heck, is even a standard 5.1 possible? And if I did want to rearrange the room, in which manner would be optimal, and how would that enable me to do?

Also, for my education, why are soundbars, even the new Samsung N950 setup, for example, not the way to go for most?

I'm fine with piecing the system together that I choose, just need something right now that's better than the TV speakers on the OLED.

I guess I should start with a receiver and bookshelf type speakers and a sub or a 2.1 setup initially and go from there?

You have no idea how much I appreciate this advice. I have been spinning my tires for literally months here. I did go to a home surround sound type store, which recommended if I wanted Atmos to put the two speakers in the ceiling above me, would be my only option for it because of the funky ceilings I have. Other than that, it's all been reading, reviewing, and changing my mind constantly as I have no clue what the hell I'm doing!! Haha.
Hey bro I was in the same boat as you just 2 or 3 years ago joined this forum and these guys helped me out so much. Those pictures and dimensions helped out a lot. That first picture made that room look a lot smaller.
My first question is is this going to be a multipurpose room. What I mean is I've noticed that you have a desk and other stuff in there as well. Or do you want to turn the whole room into like where you do your movies and music? Because if all that other furniture is going to be in there it changes what we can do ya know?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
For example that room is workable but for me if I was in your shoes you'd have to get that couch off the wall. Put it in the middle of the room TV and front 3 speakers would go on the back wall where the window is Put a blackout curtain on that window the surrounds would be positioned appropriately to the side positions and the back surround speakers would be set up behind you. You'd also have room to expirement with your subs. You just dont plunk em down anywhere. There's ceartin spots in the room where they sound better. You gotta find out where those spots are then that's where they'll go. Then you could put overhead speakers over you for Atmos. Like Shady says they don't have to be in ceiling speakers they could be the SVS Prime elevations which are highly regarded by a lottof people for atmos speakers. There is other options to other guys on the forum with more knowledge can help you as well. But THAT is just one way to set up the room that I can think of. There's other ways too but A) can the furniture be rearranged or removed to make it work. And B) you down for that.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Also if you want to start peicing the system together that could work too just build your way up Like Shady was telling laying down the bones of the system getting the 5.1 or 7.1 or 7.2 per say right is so much more important starting off the just thinking about Atmos. And finally for the PRICE of a sound bar that could actually sound halfway okay I mean they can get expensive you could put Damn near a whole awesome setup together that blows it away. And you've got a room that could do it with a little bit of work it's not like some of those guys that just don't habe the space

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Hey bro I was in the same boat as you just 2 or 3 years ago joined this forum and these guys helped me out so much. Those pictures and dimensions helped out a lot. That first picture made that room look a lot smaller.
My first question is is this going to be a multipurpose room. What I mean is I've noticed that you have a desk and other stuff in there as well. Or do you want to turn the whole room into like where you do your movies and music? Because if all that other furniture is going to be in there it changes what we can do ya know?
Yeah, man, I get what you’re saying. I got drums in there, used to play a lot but not so much anymore. They are expendable. I do use the room as my office, so I need a little bit of the space at least for that. And then I have a two year old, so I probably should consider that as well. Would this room be considered a “medium” type room then as far as sound is concerned?

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
For example that room is workable but for me if I was in your shoes you'd have to get that couch off the wall. Put it in the middle of the room TV and front 3 speakers would go on the back wall where the window is Put a blackout curtain on that window the surrounds would be positioned appropriately to the side positions and the back surround speakers would be set up behind you. You'd also have room to expirement with your subs. You just dont plunk em down anywhere. There's ceartin spots in the room where they sound better. You gotta find out where those spots are then that's where they'll go. Then you could put overhead speakers over you for Atmos. Like Shady says they don't have to be in ceiling speakers they could be the SVS Prime elevations which are highly regarded by a lottof people for atmos speakers. There is other options to other guys on the forum with more knowledge can help you as well. But THAT is just one way to set up the room that I can think of. There's other ways too but A) can the furniture be rearranged or removed to make it work. And B) you down for that.
Yeah, I’m wide open to change it around if it gets me where I want to be. So 7.1 should be my goal in that type arrangement realistically?

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Also if you want to start peicing the system together that could work too just build your way up Like Shady was telling laying down the bones of the system getting the 5.1 or 7.1 or 7.2 per say right is so much more important starting off the just thinking about Atmos. And finally for the PRICE of a sound bar that could actually sound halfway okay I mean they can get expensive you could put Damn near a whole awesome setup together that blows it away. And you've got a room that could do it with a little bit of work it's not like some of those guys that just don't habe the space
So where do I begin in your opinion? Which receiver should be on my radar initially? Then which bookshelf speakers? Finally sub?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Let me brainstorm a little then get back to you after work I'll be off at 11 and we can start kicking some ideas around for you.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Man, that’s a tough room. If it were mine(discounting any other available spaces in the house), I would also cover the window, move the office stuff to where the drums are(I have a studio for mine so I’m lucky that way). Put the Towers and center against the “window wall”, set the couch sideways, put the surrounds on stands at 110deg next to the couch, and mount 4 height speakers appropriately positioned. I personally used RSL C34e’s (like @danzilla and @snakeeyes which would possibly work in the angled part of the ceiling with their 15 degree baffles or try these jbl pendants.
[URL]http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/installed-sound/control-60-series[/URL]

So, all that stuff is easy for me to say, but if I were window shopping for a home and saw that room in one. That’s how I would consider laying it out.
As for the tower vs bookshelf(BS) thing, do what you want. I’m an advocate for towers personally and while you probably won’t use the extra extension, imo towers(real ones not bs with built in stands lol) will deliver dynamics better than BS’s but in moderate to lower volumes bs speakers can work great. Towers are many times easier to drive, and have higher sensitivity so a mid level avr can drive many of them. If you want to go 7.x.4 you’ll need something with 11ch of processing like the 4300/4400(and an external amp), but can do 5.x.4 on its own. Not sure if the 3300/3400 can do 5.x.4.
Can you take a long shot from over by your drums? Curious about how the room actually looks at a distance.
Also, IMO. Soundbars are a horrible idea due to the fact that they cannot do the same things that a real system can. Some can be somewhat convincing, but they bounce sound off the side walls etc. dumb... IMO, at best they’re a suitable upgrade to the speakers.
Ok, sorry for the driveling...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, Tapatalk butchered my post I hope you can make sense of it so I don’t have to click all that in my phone again...lol
Never seen Tapatalk do it that bad before. Sorry if I sound like a moron. I’m kinda pi$$ed actually. Love me some technology...maybe I’ll edit in desktop version.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis