Need suggestions on how to turn my room into an Atmos-enabled home theater

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Keep reading and learning the better you understand stuff before you buy the better you can make decisions when you buy. I already made a mistake on my system that I'll need to pay for to correct. That would've been avoided if I'd just asked some of these guys some stuff before I made the decision on that part of my system. As far as Onkyo I'd steer away from them. They've had a lottof issues from HDMI boards and stuff on they're units my onkyo txn9809 is already buggy on its one why I switched to the Denon. They may have fixed the issues and maybe some new Onkyo owners can help give input but that's my 2 cents I'd go with Denon or Marantz and really Id go with Denon just think you get a tiny bit more of bang for your buck with Denon. The same company owns both Denon and Marantz anyway you can't go wrong there
This is the post I needed to hear. Onkyo is out for me!! I also read some people accusing them of “spying” by trying to incessantly data collect. If so that’s pretty messed up.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This is the post I needed to hear. Onkyo is out for me!! I also read some people accusing them of “spying” by trying to incessantly data collect. If so that’s pretty messed up.
Man see that's why we pass this on. I didn't know about the spying accusations I'll have to check that out

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The only spying I heard about was Vizio, and maybe Samsung? And maybe some laptops companies. As far as Onkyo goes, I can say that IMO, they’re a stand up company. That have probably fixed thousands maybe tens of thousands even, of units out of warranty, and extended the “fix” program like 5 years. Mine was one of the “fixed” units and it was painless and quick.
They weren’t the only ones effected either, but since they probably had more AVR’s out in the wild more people knew about them, and I really doubt any other manufacturers would have gone to the same level to rectify such an issue. AND the Internet has a way of totally ruining reality so the level of the big evil Onkyo’s failure was blown out of proportion. It’s like amazon reviews. The most bitchiest whiniest ones are what people pay attention to. Plus nobody goes on the web carrying on about how amazing their stuff is. Unless it breaks...then they just bitch about it!
The reason I won’t buy another Onkyo is because they left Audyssey and started using they’re own home brewed RC. But in reality they still make nice electronics. I’m going to buy a Denon 4400(or a Marantz equivalent 7012?) because the price is right for an avr that can process 7.1.4, and I have 3 subwoofers and I’m curious how Xt32 with subeq will work with my minidsp to further improve my bass life, which isn’t too shabby in the first place. Every company has failures. Just look at A4L. Some units are open box I’m sure but what are the rest? They have many brands there. Ok. Need coffee...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Curious . Do you remember where you saw this? Wondering how exactly they would do that is all.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The only spying I heard about was Vizio, and maybe Samsung? And maybe some laptops companies. As far as Onkyo goes, I can say that IMO, they’re a stand up company. That have probably fixed thousands maybe tens of thousands even, of units out of warranty, and extended the “fix” program like 5 years. Mine was one of the “fixed” units and it was painless and quick.
They weren’t the only ones effected either, but since they probably had more AVR’s out in the wild more people knew about them, and I really doubt any other manufacturers would have gone to the same level to rectify such an issue. AND the Internet has a way of totally ruining reality so the level of the big evil Onkyo’s failure was blown out of proportion. It’s like amazon reviews. The most bitchiest whiniest ones are what people pay attention to. Plus nobody goes on the web carrying on about how amazing their stuff is. Unless it breaks...then they just bitch about it!
The reason I won’t buy another Onkyo is because they left Audyssey and started using they’re own home brewed RC. But in reality they still make nice electronics. I’m going to buy a Denon 4400(or a Marantz equivalent 7012?) because the price is right for an avr that can process 7.1.4, and I have 3 subwoofers and I’m curious how Xt32 with subeq will work with my minidsp to further improve my bass life, which isn’t too shabby in the first place. Every company has failures. Just look at A4L. Some units are open box I’m sure but what are the rest? They have many brands there. Ok. Need coffee...
Yeah this a great well balanced post. I hope I never came across as bashing all I could do is go from experience and mine was hearing about the HDMI board issue and experiencing it with my unit. But I never heard anything about spying or that they were a bad company. That's why when I read that I was like I gotta check this out. I bought my txnr809 off of Craigslist for $200. And I just keep it unplugged when not in use. If I do this the HDMI board doesn't over heat and it's a non issue I think it's problem was it runs hot in idle mode. I could feel it when I put my hand on it. I suspect if I keep it unplugged in my bedroom setup when not in use I can probably use it for years. But like you them dropping Audyssey was a killer for me. I think ultimately that was what hurt them the most out of the issues they went through. I just think dropping Audyssey was the true issue that hurt them the most then the HDMI board problem on top just was terrible terrible timing for them. I'm stoked about that Denon tho Ill let you know how it sounds when it's all settup

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Also I think Audyssey will do a lot to help our friend here since he's knew to all the surround setup stuff as he mentioned he's just know learning about crossovers room layout speakers and all the other stuff we all had that learning curve and so just feel Denon or Marantz with Audyssey would be a helpful good starting point to get into all this

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
3 subs? Man I wish I could be you that must sound friggin awesome

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Been running an Onkyo RZ810 for more almost a year. No issues at all.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Been running an Onkyo RZ810 for more almost a year. No issues at all.
How do you like it? I am sure the whole failure thing is way behind them. Fwiw, I still love my 808 except the whole Atmos thing lol. And Audyssey too, but from what I’ve read, accueq has gotten pretty good.
As shady was getting at earlier RC suites aren’t the be all end all, so depending on how much weight they carry for the user it probably matters little. For me, like I said before sub EQ ht is probably the biggest feature of Audyssey, and paired with my minidsp should work nicely.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah this a great well balanced post. I hope I never came across as bashing all I could do is go from experience and mine was hearing about the HDMI board issue and experiencing it with my unit. But I never heard anything about spying or that they were a bad company. That's why when I read that I was like I gotta check this out. I bought my txnr809 off of Craigslist for $200. And I just keep it unplugged when not in use. If I do this the HDMI board doesn't over heat and it's a non issue I think it's problem was it runs hot in idle mode. I could feel it when I put my hand on it. I suspect if I keep it unplugged in my bedroom setup when not in use I can probably use it for years. But like you them dropping Audyssey was a killer for me. I think ultimately that was what hurt them the most out of the issues they went through. I just think dropping Audyssey was the true issue that hurt them the most then the HDMI board problem on top just was terrible terrible timing for them. I'm stoked about that Denon tho Ill let you know how it sounds when it's all settup
Wow. 200 bucks is a great deal imo. Nice! I was trying to figure out a value for my 808. Btw, you might want to see if yours qualifies for repair. It’s free!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wow. 200 bucks is a great deal imo. Nice! I was trying to figure out a value for my 808. Btw, you might want to see if yours qualifies for repair. It’s free!!!
Damn I didn't know that. I'll have to contact them yeah I've been pretty lucky about finding good deals. Plus I always make sure to hang on to good older gear that can resell boxes and all so when I'm ready to flip and purchase new It's usually with a good save. Craigslist and EBay Ived scored some great deals I just have to be patient and get to know the seller. Also if they won't let you test it live and see it before the sale on Craigslist it's a no go. That's my one ultimate rule on Craigslist with speakers and electronics

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
How do you like it? I am sure the whole failure thing is way behind them. Fwiw, I still love my 808 except the whole Atmos thing lol. And Audyssey too, but from what I’ve read, accueq has gotten pretty good.
As shady was getting at earlier RC suites aren’t the be all end all, so depending on how much weight they carry for the user it probably matters little. For me, like I said before sub EQ ht is probably the biggest feature of Audyssey, and paired with my minidsp should work nicely.
I like it a lot. I have it in large room right now. Planning on moving it upstairs to the main room for TV / movies and games on a 65" for every day stuff. Wanting to go 7.4.4 with a new receiver, running 5.4.2 right now, just waiting on some sales.

The 810 has more than enough power and no issues at all. Does not run hot and does what it needs to do. Running KEF Q900 mains, Q600 center, Q100 surrounds and RSL C34E's for front atmos. Have a MiniDSP 2X4HD to a Chane 3600 and 4 SBE118'S.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Curious . Do you remember where you saw this? Wondering how exactly they would do that is all.
Here's one of them. I was looking at the Onkyo 787 on Amazon and reading the reviews. Let me know your thoughts?

Plain Mike

1.0 out of 5 starsOnkyo will spy on you. To protect yourself, avoid all Onkyo products.
July 6, 2018
Verified Purchase
This was my fourth Onkyo Receiver.

With this new TX-NR787, I found that at every power-on, you MUST respond to Onkyo’s Privacy Statement dialog box.
- - - - - - - - - ("Onkyo may collect information about your product usage.")
This new practice proves true for ALL current Onkyo receivers per Onkyo Customer Support.

You must move the cursor from the default “Accept” to “Not Accept” for each power-on to avoid collecting your usage. There is no method to permanently Opt Out. Onkyo Technical Support verified this practice.

If you, or someone else turning on the receiver, inadvertently fail to move the cursor, to "Not Accept," you have agreed. Your opt out choice will never appear again. You are now spied on. To restore the “Not Accept” power-on option, you must initialize the receiver and repeat the hours-long setup process.

No current Onkyo AV receiver allows persistent opt out.

Onkyo states: “We truly care about our customers and our product.” Nevertheless, Onkyo Customer Support confirms that customers frequently want a way to avoid the above policy, yet corporate management will not provide a permanent Opt-Out.

I must therefore return this unit and purchase another brand receiver from a company that does "truly care about their customers." To maintain your and your family’s privacy, I suggest that you avoid Onkyo products.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So the opting out constantly at power up is the real annoyance sounds like. I’ve heard most modern electronics are capable of spying to some degree.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
It seems almost all new electronics send usage data back to the powers that be. I assume that there are other reasons than to improve the product. Such as tracking for ads and other things. Who really knows . The only way to prevent is to disconnect from the internet completely if it us a real concern.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So the opting out constantly at power up is the real annoyance sounds like. I’ve heard most modern electronics are capable of spying to some degree.
Yeah that would drive me nuts. I wonder if he kept saying no, so it kept popping up. Usually when you select yes, that kind of stuff goes away.

Fwiw, IMO collecting data about how a product is used is hardly spying. Especially when you select “yes I agree”. It’s hard to say too, what exactly they’re collecting. Your Spotify password, or how many times a day the unit powers up etc? I couldn’t care less about that. For me spying would be like, keyboard click counts, or accessing the camera on your smart tv or laptop and watching you in your house. If anyone is spying, it’s Google. Data mining is their specialty, and everyone volunteers to give away their data for “free” google services.
So for me, it’s not a big deal and I think plain mike should put his tinfoil hat back on.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah that would drive me nuts. I wonder if he kept saying no, so it kept popping up. Usually when you select yes, that kind of stuff goes away.

Fwiw, IMO collecting data about how a product is used is hardly spying. Especially when you select “yes I agree”. It’s hard to say too, what exactly they’re collecting. Your Spotify password, or how many times a day the unit powers up etc? I couldn’t care less about that. For me spying would be like, keyboard click counts, or accessing the camera on your smart tv or laptop and watching you in your house. If anyone is spying, it’s Google. Data mining is their specialty, and everyone volunteers to give away their data for “free” google services.
So for me, it’s not a big deal and I think plain mike should put his tinfoil hat back on.
Ya you would hope the data is used for firmware updates to fix actual bugs. LOL :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Yeah 9 times of out 10 stuff like this is not a big deal. They really aren't always out to get you!...... Until they're out to get you lol:D But yeah the keep popping back up thing when I've said no would be driving me crazy.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah 9 times of out 10 stuff like this is not a big deal. They really aren't always out to get you!...... Until they're out to get you lol:D But yeah the keep popping back up thing when I've said no would be driving me crazy.
Just cause I’m paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not after me!!!!!!!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Here's one of them. I was looking at the Onkyo 787 on Amazon and reading the reviews. Let me know your thoughts?

Plain Mike

1.0 out of 5 starsOnkyo will spy on you. To protect yourself, avoid all Onkyo products.
July 6, 2018
Verified Purchase
This was my fourth Onkyo Receiver.

With this new TX-NR787, I found that at every power-on, you MUST respond to Onkyo’s Privacy Statement dialog box.
- - - - - - - - - ("Onkyo may collect information about your product usage.")
This new practice proves true for ALL current Onkyo receivers per Onkyo Customer Support.

You must move the cursor from the default “Accept” to “Not Accept” for each power-on to avoid collecting your usage. There is no method to permanently Opt Out. Onkyo Technical Support verified this practice.

If you, or someone else turning on the receiver, inadvertently fail to move the cursor, to "Not Accept," you have agreed. Your opt out choice will never appear again. You are now spied on. To restore the “Not Accept” power-on option, you must initialize the receiver and repeat the hours-long setup process.

No current Onkyo AV receiver allows persistent opt out.

Onkyo states: “We truly care about our customers and our product.” Nevertheless, Onkyo Customer Support confirms that customers frequently want a way to avoid the above policy, yet corporate management will not provide a permanent Opt-Out.

I must therefore return this unit and purchase another brand receiver from a company that does "truly care about their customers." To maintain your and your family’s privacy, I suggest that you avoid Onkyo products.
So back to the original thread how've you been man?
How's the theater project going?
You decided how your going to lay out the room
You've decided on any options for recievers and for speakers? Just thought I'd check in with you and see where your at.
I'm also gonna PM you the mistakes and things I did right on the theater so far I sent you in pics.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis