Need recommendation- found some Klipsch 26F pair and RC25 on Craigslist

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Look at this 3 pc option of the DCM TFE series and the center has a raised tweeter -- real good pricing
Zieg, I'm not sure if he meant using bookshelf speakers for mains or buying the bookshelf as a way to hear these speakers before he commits to the entire package.

Huskie, I used to own the Pioneer 52's and 22's. I can say without any question that the TP160S has more detail and much better highs. When I say without question, I mean the difference is very clear! It has been too long since I heard the 52's, but I think the TP160S even offers more bass. Whether more bass or not, it is better bass - that is one of the greatest strengths of this speaker. I play Bari Sax and the fullness of low notes (and balance with the upper harmonics) from the bari sax played over the TP160S is excellent! The TP160S will be a clear upgrade over the AJ Pioneers (remember that the DCM were not budget speakers, AJ had a much more difficult budget to work under (and I still consider them one of the best speakers in their class... when there are no great discounts elsewhere).
I have not heard the TFE that Zieg is recommending, but I do trust Zieg to give an honest evaluation and I also "trust his ears"!

Zieg, can you give Huskie a sense of what the TFE offers over the TP? There is no way for you or I to know what his best choice is from an economic standpoint, but maybe you can give him some sense of what he gets for the extra bucks so he can decide is the TFE is worth the extra cost for him.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Zieg, I'm not sure if he meant using bookshelf speakers for mains or buying the bookshelf as a way to hear these speakers before he commits to the entire package.

Zieg, can you give Huskie a sense of what the TFE offers over the TP? There is no way for you or I to know what his best choice is from an economic standpoint, but maybe you can give him some sense of what he gets for the extra bucks so he can decide is the TFE is worth the extra cost for him.
Well for a tight budget the TP series is good enough -- as the TP160S is in another league over the Pioneer bookshelf speakers, and except for some bass, they are also better than the Pioneer tower speakers, the TP series is also better than many of the former Klipsch, Polk, Infinity, JBL, and Boston speakers. ... the TFE series will add a touch of warmth with more refinement, and give a more tonal fullness to the sound with better definition, and a more expansive soundstage --- the TFE bookshelf has more bass extension and depth. ... but all in all for mainly home theater, the TP series will be fine for movies/TV/games, plus still does a real good job for music ... there is a $146 dollar difference in the bookshelf price, but except for some of us nit-pickers, not a $146 difference in sound.

A brief review

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You guys almost have me tempted to try out the 3 way towers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well there may be some hope for you.
I got them today and had enough time to listen to a couple of songs. Not enough to really give an evaluation but early impressions are very good, considering the cost. When I have more time I'll do a head to head with my Ultras and post my opinion.

*Edit: So is Dennis gonna do some tweaking to these speakers? If so, I'm very keen to see what he does.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I got them today and had enough time to listen to a couple of songs. Not enough to really give an evaluation but early impressions are very good, considering the cost. When I have more time I'll do a head to head with my Ultras and post my opinion.

*Edit: So is Dennis gonna do some tweaking to these speakers? If so, I'm very keen to see what he does.
The seller is a fast shipper -- the only tweaking Dennis is going to do is add a resistor between the crossover and tweeter positive terminal to lower the highs a touch

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The seller is a fast shipper -- the only tweaking Dennis is going to do is add a resistor between the crossover and tweeter positive terminal to lower the highs a touch
Very fast. I can hear what Dennis is talking about. They are a touch on the bright side, but not so much that I didn't like what I heard. I listened to a few more songs with and without subs. I pushed them a little bit (-10, full range, at 14 ft away) and they didn't bottom out or make any other nasty noises you might expect from budget speakers. Even this early on I've heard enough that I have no problem whatsoever recommending these.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Very fast. I can hear what Dennis is talking about. They are a touch on the bright side, but not so much that I didn't like what I heard. I listened to a few more songs with and without subs. I pushed them a little bit (-10, full range, at 14 ft away) and they didn't bottom out or make any other nasty noises you might expect from budget speakers. Even this early on I've heard enough that I have no problem whatsoever recommending these.
They hold up where others crumble -- even some speakers over $349 will crumble

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Here are a couple of relevant comments I made in posts #36 and #68 of the other thread:
I went into the GEQ and played with it - ended up happy after I knocked off just 1dB at 4kHz and -1.5dB at 8kHz (left 16kHz neutral at 0dB). To my ear, that took the edge off and I found my happy place!
I should say that for this comparison, I did not perform the small EQ adjustments on the TP160 which I had for my earlier listen to Count Bubba at near reference levels (Post #36 from this thread). I presume that is a reflection of the listening level in my (fairly live) room because I never experienced any issue at the lower volume nor even noticed it when switching from the R152's.

I will be interested in seeing how my "by ear" adjustments compare to a graph of the FR. I used a trial and error approach and have no pretense that the end result was flat...only that it "suitably reduced" the only problem I noticed out of the SQ (to my ear).

I would appreciate any comments on the pros and cons of adding the resistor vs using EQ to pad down the problem frequencies (based on FR measurements - not my trial and error approach). Theoretically, I like the more "pure" approach of fixing the speaker, but from a practical standpoint, if I can get the same benefit (or close) out of an EQ tweak, that seems like the thing to do!

Last edited:
H

huskie

Enthusiast

Huskie, I used to own the Pioneer 52's and 22's. I can say without any question that the TP160S has more detail and much better highs. When I say without question, I mean the difference is very clear! It has been too long since I heard the 52's, but I think the TP160S even offers more bass. Whether more bass or not, it is better bass - that is one of the greatest strengths of this speaker. I play Bari Sax and the fullness of low notes (and balance with the upper harmonics) from the bari sax played over the TP160S is excellent! The TP160S will be a clear upgrade over the AJ Pioneers (remember that the DCM were not budget speakers, AJ had a much more difficult budget to work under (and I still consider them one of the best speakers in their class... when there are no great discounts elsewhere).
I have not heard the TFE that Zieg is recommending, but I do trust Zieg to give an honest evaluation and I also "trust his ears"!

Thanks KEW, i got my DCM Bookshelf and I placed on top of the towers. I had no idea that they will be that great. Now I can hear the sounds that I couldnt before. Feels amazing.(Not my ear adjustment ..lol)

I also got the Infinity 200 w sub, its massive and good

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks KEW, i got my DCM Bookshelf and I placed on top of the towers. I had no idea that they will be that great. Now I can hear the sounds that I couldnt before. Feels amazing.(Not my ear adjustment ..lol)

Excellent!
That is an insane 2.1 system for $185!
You were lucky to be buying at the right time when these deals were in play!
Let us know how things play out for your system.

Last edited:
H

huskie

Enthusiast
Excellent!
That is an insane 2.1 system for $185!
You were lucky to be buying at the right time when these deals were in play!
Let us know how things play out for your system.
Right now this is what I have

1. Pioneer SP-FS52 tower + TP60S (L and R) (Parallel connection)
2. Pioneer SP-C22 Center + Energy Center ( Take Classic)
3. Pioneer BS-22 (surround)
4. Dual LU-43 (Height rear)
5. Pioneer SP-T22 A (Atmos upfiring front sitting on the DCM)
6. Energy Sub-woofer (Take classic)
7. Harmon Sub R10
Pioneer Elite lsx-303
All this in 16 x18 with 9 feet ceiling on second floor. Am I going to bring the house down? Is this an overkill?

It just feels amazing when I play the Dolby Atmos Amaze trailer

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

Bingo!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Right now this is what I have

All this in 16 x18 with 9 feet ceiling on second floor. Am I going to bring the house down? Is this an overkill?

It just feels amazing when I play the Dolby Atmos Amaze trailer
Overkill as far as parallel hook-up, be kind to your receiver ... plus some speakers can interfere with the others in the sound field ... you have a good sub and the DCM can easily handle an 80 hz crossover to the sub .... plus as you noted, the DCM has more clarity, detail, and definition.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis