Need recommendation- found some Klipsch 26F pair and RC25 on Craigslist

H

huskie

Enthusiast
Like an new Audiophile, tempted to upgrade my Andrew Jones Pioneer set .
Found Klipsch 26F(brand new still in box) and RC25 (used)for $225 and $80.
I am tempted to buy but wanted to this by the you guys on your thoughts.

I appreciate your guidance

Thanks

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I like Klipsch pretty well, but would want to go for a higher level speaker than that one. I think you would want an RP160 or later (or any other speaker from that series).
If you are absolutely infatuated with Klipsch, that is one thing, but right now, there is a DCM TimePiece160S speaker being sold for $83 a pair that will make sure you never look back at the AJ Pioneer speakers:

These are not cheap speakers like you would expect for this price! They are good speakers being clearanced at deep discounts!
Since you are looking at towers and center these are the ticket:
Towers for $150/pr.

Alternate tower for $260/pr

Center for $90:

You can read more about this series here:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I should add if you are looking for a bargain sub to use with them:

There just happen to be some extremely good deals right now on nice gear in the price range you are looking at!:cool:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I like Klipsch pretty well, but would want to go for a higher level speaker than that one. I think you would want an RP160 or later (or any other speaker from that series).
If you are absolutely infatuated with Klipsch, that is one thing, but right now, there is a DCM TimePiece160S speaker being sold for $83 a pair that will make sure you never look back at the AJ Pioneer speakers:

These are not cheap speakers like you would expect for this price! They are good speakers being clearanced at deep discounts!
Since you are looking at towers and center these are the ticket:
Towers for $150/pr.

Alternate tower for $260/pr

Center for $90:

You can read more about this series here:
I don't know why I didn't think of these!

I'm even active in that thread and considered(ing?) getting a pair myself. Zieg has a lot of experience with a great number of speakers and manufacturers and he's really taken a shine to that line of speakers. He took one apart and gave us a glimpse of the inside of one.

1569447348781.png
1569447476083.png
1569447755745.png

Thick solid cabinetry, big heavy magnet and lots of filling. I'm pretty sure he posted a pic of the crossover too, but I can't find it. I'm still tempted to get a pair of those (right about here is Kew's queue to help me irrationalize the purchase... :p).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm still tempted to get a pair of those (right about here is Kew's queue to help me irrationalize the purchase... :p).
They would make a pretty good performance/$ benchmark to compare your Craigslist finds against!
Heck, I'll PayPal you $40 just to hear an evaluation against your Ultra BS speakers (I don't expect them to be better, but they may actually match (or come close) on an aspect or two)!
Serious - a pair of TP160S for $43!
Deal?

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Damn u Kew. :p:cool:Been looking at those since Z posted them. Broke at the moment but I like what I've read. Some of the last speakers(Canton Satts/Technic Bipole surrounds) I bought are not even setup.:rolleyes:

H

huskie

Enthusiast
Alright, controlled my temptation and cancelled the sale on the Craiglists find.

Can you guys please suggest .
1. Front towers ( 2 way or 3 way?)
2. Rear
3 Atmos speakers

Last edited:
H

huskie

Enthusiast
They would make a pretty good performance/$ benchmark to compare your Craigslist finds against!
Heck, I'll PayPal you $40 just to hear an evaluation against your Ultra BS speakers (I don't expect them to be better, but they may actually match (or come close) on an aspect or two)!
Serious - a pair of TP160S for $43!
Deal?
Where is the $43 pair deal?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Alright, controlled my temptation and cancelled the sale on the Craiglists find.

2. Rear
3 Atmos speakers
Item 1 - Are you planning to use subwoofers? How large is your room?
The most obvious difference between the two way and the three way is Bass and likely how loud they will play.
If you will use subs, the difference in bass becomes pretty slight. If you are in a 15 X 18 room with 8' ceilings, the 2 way should do fine for SPL. But let's see if @zieglj01 will chime in. He is on several forums and may know of people who have bought the 2 way and/or 3 way and provided more specific feedback!
If it is going to determine whether or not you will get a sub, I would suggest getting the 2 way and spending the extra $100 on a sub.
Item 2 - the bookshelf speakers at $83/pr would be your ideal surrounds unless they are too big for where you want to put them.
Item 3 - I say hold up! Get the rest of everything together and enjoy it for awhile! You can add the atmos later.
However, in the same type of budget, these would be my suggestion right now (Waiting for Black Friday may get you some better options) at $$50 each:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The bookshelf speakers will actually do a fine job for your mains! I have pushed them pretty loud.

If the bookshelf would work for your surround (size/fit/mount),you may want to order a pair immediately. When you get them, set them on top of your Pioneer 52's (I assume you have the towers). I say buy these with confidence because everyone seems to like them and they do sound very realistic, but in case you don't like the sound of them, you only have $83 committed and I believe they will still make for excellent surround speakers. I don't want to scare you with doubt, because I am quite confident, but given you have the chance to test them with little to no consequence, why not! You will also see what I mean about these making good mains and you may decide to skip the towers.

Personally, I think the economics of bookshelf speakers (when using subs) make them a better deal than towers until you start getting into $1000/pr territory! However, I also recognize than many people really like the look of and want towers for their mains!

I got to check out now. Have a dinner engagement.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
These are $72 per pair and we'll liked here. I've never heard them myself:
Sony SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speaker System (Black) (Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KYB1CG1/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_SU1WDbS684BEZ
I have a pair of these, they are a good speaker and $72 is an excellent price. However, the DCM are in a completely different league as far as sound quality!
The Sony are smaller and could be a pretty good option if the DCM are a little too large for where he wants to put his surrounds.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

2. Rear
3 Atmos speakers
Towers DCM TP260

Center DCM TP160

Rear and save some money on the center DCM TP160S

Atmos DCM TP525C -- the price is for 4

But if you only want to buy a pair

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know why I didn't think of these!

I'm even active in that thread and considered(ing?) getting a pair myself. Zieg has a lot of experience with a great number of speakers and manufacturers and he's really taken a shine to that line of speakers. He took one apart and gave us a glimpse of the inside of one.

Thick solid cabinetry, big heavy magnet and lots of filling. I'm pretty sure he posted a pic of the crossover too, but I can't find it. I'm still tempted to get a pair of those (right about here is Kew's queue to help me irrationalize the purchase... :p).
First picture is the TFE60 -- second picture is the TP160S

1573090018324.png

1573090072188.png

H

huskie

Enthusiast
The bookshelf speakers will actually do a fine job for your mains! I have pushed them pretty loud.

If the bookshelf would work for your surround (size/fit/mount),you may want to order a pair immediately. When you get them, set them on top of your Pioneer 52's (I assume you have the towers). I say buy these with confidence because everyone seems to like them and they do sound very realistic, but in case you don't like the sound of them, you only have $83 committed and I believe they will still make for excellent surround speakers. I don't want to scare you with doubt, because I am quite confident, but given you have the chance to test them with little to no consequence, why not! You will also see what I mean about these making good mains and you may decide to skip the towers.

Personally, I think the economics of bookshelf speakers (when using subs) make them a better deal than towers until you start getting into $1000/pr territory! However, I also recognize than many people really like the look of and want towers for their mains!

I got to check out now. Have a dinner engagement.
Thanks KEW

My room is 18x16x9 with two subwoofers

I like the idea of starting the Bookshelf speakers

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
My room is 18x16x9 with two subwoofers

I like the idea of starting the Bookshelf speakers
Look at this 3 pc option of the DCM TFE series and the center has a raised tweeter -- real good pricing

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis