Need help finding the missing. Pieces

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
An AT ???? Over my head. ( of course)
ATI amps.

ATI also owns DataSat, Theta Digital, B&K, and has built amps for the likes of Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Cary Audio, and also less expensive brands like Outlaw Audio and Monoprice.

Edit: looks like HD beat me to the punch. :D

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
Hey Tech. You said earlier you use to own def tech 7000. What do you use now. Also. Sounded like you are a big fan of ATI. AMPS . Any particular reason. Trying to learn here

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey Tech. You said earlier you use to own def tech 7000. What do you use now. Also. Sounded like you are a big fan of ATI. AMPS . Any particular reason. Trying to learn here
I now own the RBH SX-T2/R for my main HT room (Dolby Atmos system) and the RBH SVT towers (SV831R/SV1212N) for my living room 2CH system.

If you click on the boxes under my signature that says "SPOILER", you will see more info on my current and past systems.

My first ATI amp was the AT6012 (60W x 12Ch). The only reason I bought it was because that was the amp Linkwitz Lab used for the Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1 Active speaker system ($9K/pr speakers without the Amps).

So I bought the Orion speakers from Linkwitz Lab and bought the ATI amp from ATI separately to complete the system.

Based on the review by The Audio Critic about the Orion and ATI amp, it showed that the ATI 60WPC amp was stable down to 1-ohm. I thought that was impressive for a 60 Watts per Channel amp.

After that I did more research on ATI and then bought a few more of their amps (AT3005 300WPC, AT2007 200WPC). Based on everything I read, it seems ATI makes serious amps that have earned the nickname of "Arc Welder" that are stable down to 1-ohm. I was even more impressed when I learned that ATI made amps for other companies lie Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Cary Audio and others.

ATI said that they have made amps for "Most North American Amp companies". That's a very bold and strong statement. :D

Another area worth mentioning is that ATI has the 7YR Warranty on their amps (but 5YR on the amps they make for other companies). Bryston offers 20YR warranty on their analog amps, which is the best in the business. But ATI's 7YR Warranty is the 2nd longest warranty.

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
the receiver has some intermittent problem(s). it appears that one
of the regulated power supplies drops out. i'm not sure if this is the
only problem, or if something else is also going on. the parts are way
down at the bottom of the receiver, i can't get to them from the
top. the boards on top of them have to come out to replace them. i
would estimate the repair to be $400-500, depending upon the issues.
it appears that there is also a small audio signal on the ground
lines. i'm not sure if this is a problem, if it's caused by the power
supply, or if there is some other issue. i'm hoping there is not a
hairline crack in a ground line somewhere.
anyway, i would have to start by repairing the power supply, if the
estimate is ok.

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
This is from the repair service. What would you guys do. Receiver is the sr 7012, 3 1/2 years old.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
This is from the repair service. What would you guys do. Receiver is the sr 7012, 3 1/2 years old.
That model is going for $800 to $900 on the second hand market. I wouldn't pay $500 to fix a receiver with an $800 current market value. I would replace it with either a brand new one or buy a refurb from accessories4less.com for a discount.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
If you replace that receiver I own both a Marantz processor and an Onkyo receiver. I would also check out Onkyo:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed... the tech also seems to leave a very open ended game about what is or may be wrong.

Did you send it to a certified Marantz tech? Just curious.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you replace that receiver I own both a Marantz processor and an Onkyo receiver. I would also check out Onkyo:

I respectfully disagree... the Onkyo does not perform well on the bench.
As a placeholder device, it may not be a bad option. The x700 Denon are much better performers, though. It would be an easy argument to make that the 3700 is a significantly better purchase at only $200 more...

This is just my 2¢ looking at the numbers. OP has his heart set on buying something now. And his eyes and budget are higher up the chain...

edit: I got this thread and the 6700 thread confused... Wrong OP. *blushes Opinion on Onkyo stands. Better options exist.

Last edited:
N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
When I came knocking for answers from you guys , it was because I really wasn’t hearing anything close to what I had imagined with this set up . The marantz and the def tech’s so when the tech wrote “ the audio was on the ground “ :rolleyes: I think a big piece of the puzzle

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
So on the advice. WE GO NEW!!!! very excited. Just Hope I find the ark of the covenant ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes certified. Approved audio service
Disappointed that they couldn't identify the problem clearly and decisively. Perhaps your machine bit it. A sad demise.

Did they not give you any report on the fault that locked the device? Any clue as to what may have happened?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Disappointed that they couldn't identify the problem clearly and decisively. Perhaps your machine bit it. A sad demise.

Did they not give you any report on the fault that locked the device? Any clue as to what may have happened?
Does sound vague, especially the multiple power supply thing when there's only one in an avr....what does individual regulated power supply particularly refer to?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis