Need help finding the missing. Pieces

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Having the amp will take a load off of the receiver??? Looking to prevent damage to the receiver
Yes the reciever is no longer using its amps to power the speakers. It's using preouts to send a signal to the amplifier and the amplifier is powering the speakers. Basically your turning your avr into a pre pro. This is a big reason I like amps

AVRs have a lot of electronics plus the amps to power speakers all stuffed into one little box. That can make them run hot. Heat lowers the life expectancy of a reciever. Using a reciever as a pre pro for an amplifier means the reciever is no longer using its amps to drive the speakers so the avr has less heat can help it last longer

So even if you don't NEED the amplifier to hit the clean SPL you need to get to your listening levels there are still benefits to owning an amplifier

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Also any thoughts on a subwoofer
That's about a 2300 2400 medium sized room what's your budget? Are there size limitations would your wife complain if they were too big?

Do you want to go duals or just go with one and then buy a matching one later?

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
Believe me I am reading and listening. I have the 9080 towers. And all of the above mentioned is why more likely I will keep the amp.
its not a living room by the way . I just call it my room . It’s were I play guitar and piano and listen to music and watch movies
So the room is getting full. So won’t one subwoofer do the job or do you loss something by not using two subwoofers ?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Believe me I am reading and listening. I have the 9080 towers. And all of the above mentioned is why more likely I will keep the amp.
its not a living room by the way . I just call it my room . It’s were I play guitar and piano and listen to music and watch movies
So the room is getting full. So won’t one subwoofer do the job or do you loss something by not using two subwoofers ?
So if its your personal room where you mainly listen and don't entertain guests stuff like that then one sub should work just fine

If you only have one sweet spot to sit in then you should be able to place the sub in the room where it sounds the best to you.

Lovin is right 2 smooths out the response and that has benefits even in your situation but it's not a game changer

Since it's your room and to save money I'd recommend setting a sub up near field

You increase output tactile response and avoid nulls and other issues the room can cause it takes a little bit of effort to integrate the nearfield sub with the mains but we can help you with that

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
please note all I really do know is I love great sound, other than that really nothing . So piece by piece I started buying equipment. For some reason I brought a pair of def tech BP 9080’s. Mind you I have nothing to power them . So they sit and wait and piece by piece till I wind up with those 9080’s for the front , the center 9080 the 9080 surrounds back and a pair or the 9040 surrounds for the sides all def tech . With that I finally get a Marantz sr7012 to finally get going and mind you I had been waiting a very long time to get this stuff , funds wise ( WIFE Really ) so again I just brought by name really. Stupid I know. But still dumb because it gets better. The def techs came with some saying about SOUND and boy I can’t wait and with a Marantz. !!! Well I was let down to tell the truth for some reason I was expecting a whole lot more, kind of like things I heard at Disney world is the best example I can give it had real detail to the sound. So I do some reading over time and figure I need more power to run the stuff in the front so i start saving ( the WIFE ) and this week a emotiva amp ( really hope this will get me Disney ) the XPA 5. Great right ?? Not so much WHY. because the Marantz got the flashing red light of death only after 3 years and fives months of what I think was light work for it and I really don’t want to have to ship for repair and repaired will make me gun shy. So here is where I would love some help I really don’t know what I am doing. I have those speakers I spoke of the def techs. And a Emotiva xpa 5 amp that is on its way …. So what would you guys or dolls match this stuff up with . And now am I just looking to power the surrounds. I really not sure how it all comes together. Looking maybe the Denon 4700 . Thoughts ??
The first thing I would do is immediately return the Emotiva. :D

Then take a step back. Take a deep breath. Do a lot more research and see what everyone thinks on this forum and maybe other forums.

BTW, I used to own all DefTech speakers - BP7000, BP7001, Trinity, etc. :D

And stop buying things until after you get our blessings. :D

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
thank you guys. Read the articles you both sent and can really see or understand why you need a sub. And besides have a sub. Two at the right placement makes all the world of difference
So my next question is I f i can run those towers 9080’s , the center. The backs the sides and two subs off the Sr7012 alone??

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
thank you guys. Read the articles you both sent and can really see or understand why you need a sub. And besides have a sub. Two at the right placement makes all the world of difference
So my next question is I f i can run those towers 9080’s , the center. The backs the sides and two subs off the Sr7012 alone??
What you have to factor in is how much power is your speaker needing. Remember your speakers all have a powered woofer in them.

So if you buy a sub or 2 subs which has an amp built in as well get cut your deftech speakers of at 60 or 80hz. Then your reciever is only being tasked to drive the upper midbass and higher frequencies. It doesn't drive the subs at all it has preouts to connect to the subs the subs amps will supply the power so that takes a huge load off your reciever because it doesn't have to drive the subs and it doesn't have to drive your speakers full range

So you very likely won't need an amp and you very likely won't cook that marantz

BUT!!! Do not return the amp if you decide you don't need it!

Flip it! A brand new Emotiva still has pretty good street value and you should get good cash for it

Unless it's still in Emotivas return window policy then return and use all that cash back to buy a great subwoofer

But if your Marantz can't repaired in time and you go past Emotivas return window then try listening to the amp in your system and take it out and try just driving everything with the reciever. If you can't tell a difference then flip it and use the cash for a sub

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The first thing I would do is immediately return the Emotiva. :D

Then take a step back. Take a deep breath. Do a lot more research and see what everyone thinks on this forum and maybe other forums.

BTW, I used to own all DefTech speakers - BP7000, BP7001, Trinity, etc. :D

And stop buying things until after you get our blessings. :D
Bet you wouldn't be saying that if he'd bought an ATI! ;)

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
Ok. So here is where I am at now with all the reading and listening. I canceled the amp. It was on order. And I still need to have the AVR repaired ( going out tomorrow) so my plan now is once the AVR is repaired ( and hopefully he can fix ) do I get the blessing on two SVS SB-2000 ( same cost the amp was ) and of course it the AVR is a goner. Than I will be asking which way I go then.
So I will wait on the AVR repair ( alright dad ) and buy nothing till then
And once again I can’t thank all of you enough.
stuff isn’t cheap

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok. So here is where I am at now with all the reading and listening. I canceled the amp. It was on order. And I still need to have the AVR repaired ( going out tomorrow) so my plan now is once the AVR is repaired ( and hopefully he can fix ) do I get the blessing on two SVS SB-2000 ( same cost the amp was ) and of course it the AVR is a goner. Than I will be asking which way I go then.
stuff isn’t cheap
I think your making a good decision it's very probable you won't need an amp. I have to get ready for work but when I get time layer we gotta talk subs. I have so many better recommendations then SVS! But we'll talk about why later!

I'm not bagging SVS but they are no longer the bang for buck leader and as you said your money ain't cheap and you want to stretch it as far as you can get!

P.S. don't go sealed if you want that home theater feel and experience in your room go PORTED!!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
stuff isn’t cheap
How big is your room?

Remember that this system is for ONLY YOU, not anyone else.

If the BP9080X towers have plenty of bass for you, then I would hold off for now on adding more subs or anything else. Like you said, stuffs ain’t cheap. :D

The 1st question about ANY system is, “Do you have your setup optimized for you?”

Spend plenty of time playing with your system and get more experience.

I used to own the DefTech BP7000SC and BP7001SC with the Denon AVR-5308, so I know you can get great sound if the setup is good. But it depends on your room also.

When I had the BP7000SC, I set the speakers to small and sent the sub outputs from the Denon AVR to the LFE Inputs of the BP7000. So I was treating the built-in subs like they were separate subs.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis