Need help finding the missing. Pieces

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
please note all I really do know is I love great sound, other than that really nothing . So piece by piece I started buying equipment. For some reason I brought a pair of def tech BP 9080’s. Mind you I have nothing to power them . So they sit and wait and piece by piece till I wind up with those 9080’s for the front , the center 9080 the 9080 surrounds back and a pair or the 9040 surrounds for the sides all def tech . With that I finally get a Marantz sr7012 to finally get going and mind you I had been waiting a very long time to get this stuff , funds wise ( WIFE Really ) so again I just brought by name really. Stupid I know. But still dumb because it gets better. The def techs came with some saying about SOUND and boy I can’t wait and with a Marantz. !!! Well I was let down to tell the truth for some reason I was expecting a whole lot more, kind of like things I heard at Disney world is the best example I can give it had real detail to the sound. So I do some reading over time and figure I need more power to run the stuff in the front so i start saving ( the WIFE ) and this week a emotiva amp ( really hope this will get me Disney ) the XPA 5. Great right ?? Not so much WHY. because the Marantz got the flashing red light of death only after 3 years and fives months of what I think was light work for it and I really don’t want to have to ship for repair and repaired will make me gun shy. So here is where I would love some help I really don’t know what I am doing. I have those speakers I spoke of the def techs. And a Emotiva xpa 5 amp that is on its way …. So what would you guys or dolls match this stuff up with . And now am I just looking to power the surrounds. I really not sure how it all comes together. Looking maybe the Denon 4700 . Thoughts ??

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sorry if this sounds condescending, but I can't force myself to start reading an unformatted blob of text.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
please note all I really do know is I love great sound, other than that really nothing . So piece by piece I started buying equipment. For some reason I brought a pair of def tech BP 9080’s. Mind you I have nothing to power them . So they sit and wait and piece by piece till I wind up with those 9080’s for the front , the center 9080 the 9080 surrounds back and a pair or the 9040 surrounds for the sides all def tech . With that I finally get a Marantz sr7012 to finally get going and mind you I had been waiting a very long time to get this stuff , funds wise ( WIFE Really ) so again I just brought by name really. Stupid I know. But still dumb because it gets better. The def techs came with some saying about SOUND and boy I can’t wait and with a Marantz. !!! Well I was let down to tell the truth for some reason I was expecting a whole lot more, kind of like things I heard at Disney world is the best example I can give it had real detail to the sound. So I do some reading over time and figure I need more power to run the stuff in the front so i start saving ( the WIFE ) and this week a emotiva amp ( really hope this will get me Disney ) the XPA 5. Great right ?? Not so much WHY. because the Marantz got the flashing red light of death only after 3 years and fives months of what I think was light work for it and I really don’t want to have to ship for repair and repaired will make me gun shy. So here is where I would love some help I really don’t know what I am doing. I have those speakers I spoke of the def techs. And a Emotiva xpa 5 amp that is on its way …. So what would you guys or dolls match this stuff up with . And now am I just looking to power the surrounds. I really not sure how it all comes together. Looking maybe the Denon 4700 . Thoughts ??
If you're using external amplification it boils down to feature you need.

As BSA mentioned, it's very difficult to read your post without it being separated out into gear and needs and move all the other stuff to another paragraph. It's hard for people to constantly look up during their replies and there is a good chance that you or us will miss something.

So to understand, you need an AVR or a prepro, right?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Also, what's this?

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
Correct. And thank you both I will cut out the crap and get to the point

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
I order a Emotiva XPA 5. Was going to use with my marantz st7012. But it died yesterday

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Correct. And thank you both I will cut out the crap and get to the point
You can put the commentary in, that's not the issue, it's just placement that makes it tuff and we want to make sure you get your questions answered correctly and make the best recommendations if needed.

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
I believed I didn’t have enough power for the fronts. That’s why I ordered the XPA 5

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
So I was thinking The Denon 4700H to if possible to power the back and side surrounds we and the Emotiva xpa 5 for the front 5. Is this workable?

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
Loved the marantz. But it just stopped working yesterday. Disconnect piece by piece. Reset. Standing on it own with just power cord and still shutting down after 10 15 seconds

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
And only 3 and half years old. And very few authorized repair places so you are shipping and hoping for the best

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So I was thinking The Denon 4700H to if possible to power the back and side surrounds we and the Emotiva xpa 5 for the front 5. Is this workable?
That would be just above lateral as a move, but a good one for your situation it seems. The flexibility with the preamp and the amp assign is a great feature.

If you go that route you may wanna look at a couple of threads that are out here that covers the setup with preamp mode in detail.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Some of Denon and Marantz protection circuitry will lock up the machine requiring a technician to unlock it. No reset will do it.
Usually it is an Amp Stage issue (or possible other electrical) that causes this type of lock. (A High-Temp Fault will shut you down until it cools, but not lock you out.)

Unfortunately any further explanation would just be supposition based on guesswork.

I guess the big question I would ask is what your listening habits are? Do you push your system hard? Listen at high volume (SPL)?

To your comments about being disappointed in Sound (Quality?) I can only guess that you either don't actually like the sound of the DefTech gear, or you need to work on improving the placement and setup. That I'm not a fan of DT is immaterial: there are many fans that swear by that gear.
As a Marantz owner (same generation as yours) all I can say is that it is a good machine and does not have any particular SQ when used within it's ideal operating parameters.

The 4700 is definitely a lateral move, but that's not a big problem if you are mostly happy with the technology. It is newer by a couple years (2-3?) so you get a few new features not on the x012 series from Marantz.

From a setup perspective, when you connect your gear, make certain to not change the impedance to anything but 8 ohms in your AVR. Even though the 9080s dip down to below 5 ohms, they should not really present a difficult load as best I can tell...
Unless you were pushing them super hard.

Yes, you can set up your system to use the external amp to power the mains, center and surrounds. You will not be able to switch on the Denon 4700 Preamp Mode, though, if you are going to use any of the onboard Amp Channels to power rears or Atmos Speakers.
The online manual is easily accessible for both the 7012 and 4700 and can help you set things up properly.

I think the biggest question is: "What Happened?" Something tripped up the protection circuitry.
Did you have a storm? Power Outage or Lightning?
Did you short something in connecting your Speakers?
As I asked above... What are your listening habits?

Just to be clear, I just want to help you so you don't do it again. ;) Whatever shut you down could hopefully be repaired, or if you choose to replace... the risk is you do it again.

One last note as a Marantz owner. I know these machines can get warm. It is very beneficial to make absolute certain that you follow the installation instructions about distance above, around, behind the machine and not putting it in a closed cubby, especially with closed doors.
You can add some very inexpensive active cooling solutions very similar to PC case fans that will help pull cool air through the machine and keep it at a lower temp during use.
Heat is the number one killer of electronics. Where I said above, a temp-fault will not lock you out... but excessive and prolonged high temps can fry other circuitry.

I hope some of this might be of help.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Some of Denon and Marantz protection circuitry will lock up the machine requiring a technician to unlock it. No reset will do it.
Usually it is an Amp Stage issue (or possible other electrical) that causes this type of lock. (A High-Temp Fault will shut you down until it cools, but not lock you out.)

Unfortunately any further explanation would just be supposition based on guesswork.

I guess the big question I would ask is what your listening habits are? Do you push your system hard? Listen at high volume (SPL)?

To your comments about being disappointed in Sound (Quality?) I can only guess that you either don't actually like the sound of the DefTech gear, or you need to work on improving the placement and setup. That I'm not a fan of DT is immaterial: there are many fans that swear by that gear.
As a Marantz owner (same generation as yours) all I can say is that it is a good machine and does not have any particular SQ when used within it's ideal operating parameters.

The 4700 is definitely a lateral move, but that's not a big problem if you are mostly happy with the technology. It is newer by a couple years (2-3?) so you get a few new features not on the x012 series from Marantz.

From a setup perspective, when you connect your gear, make certain to not change the impedance to anything but 8 ohms in your AVR. Even though the 9080s dip down to below 5 ohms, they should not really present a difficult load as best I can tell...
Unless you were pushing them super hard.

Yes, you can set up your system to use the external amp to power the mains, center and surrounds. You will not be able to switch on the Denon 4700 Preamp Mode, though, if you are going to use any of the onboard Amp Channels to power rears or Atmos Speakers.
The online manual is easily accessible for both the 7012 and 4700 and can help you set things up properly.

I think the biggest question is: "What Happened?" Something tripped up the protection circuitry.
Did you have a storm? Power Outage or Lightning?
Did you short something in connecting your Speakers?
As I asked above... What are your listening habits?

Just to be clear, I just want to help you so you don't do it again. ;) Whatever shut you down could hopefully be repaired, or if you choose to replace... the risk is you do it again.

One last note as a Marantz owner. I know these machines can get warm. It is very beneficial to make absolute certain that you follow the installation instructions about distance above, around, behind the machine and not putting it in a closed cubby, especially with closed doors.
You can add some very inexpensive active cooling solutions very similar to PC case fans that will help pull cool air through the machine and keep it at a lower temp during use.
Heat is the number one killer of electronics. Where I said above, a temp-fault will not lock you out... but excessive and prolonged high temps can fry other circuitry.

I hope some of this might be of help.
It was my understanding that in preamp mode you can't use speaker assign and had to use the speakers terminals that coordinated with the speakers that were still powered by the unit?

I still have 4700 sitting in it's box on a counter in the utility room so I haven't played with it yet and the 3600 in the other house didn't have the same feature set.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It was my understanding that in preamp mode you can't use speaker assign and had to use the speakers terminals that coordinated with the speakers that were still powered by the unit?

I still have 4700 sitting in it's box on a counter in the utility room so I haven't played with it yet and the 3600 in the other house didn't have the same feature set.
My understanding was that preamp mode actually turns off the onboard amps completely.

I could very well be wrong. :)

I think it is in the Flagship Denon you have the ability to switch on and off individual amp channels. But that's a different scenario and not at topic right now.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
My understanding was that preamp mode actually turns off the onboard amps completely.

I could very well be wrong. :)

I think it is in the Flagship Denon you have the ability to switch on and off individual amp channels. But that's a different scenario and not at topic right now.
I'll break open the box this week, it's been bugging me that it has been since December of last year anyway. lol.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I do the same thing sometimes! ;)
Nothing like loading up on gear and then "getting around to it". I'm trying to get better at it. I still have 3 BMRs not finished, just need to attach the back panels and prep for finish, just getting old slows projects down for me

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nothing like loading up on gear and then "getting around to it". I'm trying to get better at it. I still have 3 BMRs not finished, just need to attach the back panels and prep for finish, just getting old slows projects down for me
Just being alive slows them down! :p I'm still sitting on my Hypex modules from mid 2020. :eek: And my SI Subs. :rolleyes: And my Atmos install. :mad:

21st century and 1st world problems all rolled up in one big fat to-do blunt. All I got to do is light the fire and smoke that! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis