Need help finding the missing. Pieces

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
Has anybody had to send out gear for repair. Namely Marantz. Only 15 places USA AUTHORIZED o_O

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Has anybody had to send out gear for repair. Namely Marantz. Only 15 places USA AUTHORIZED o_O
Yes. I had a faulty Digital Board in mine. It had to go out twice... the Tech couldn't replicate the issue on the first go round. It was only an accident that allowed her to catch it on the second time: she was literally clearing her desk for the holiday (2018) and was going to send it back to me again as inconclusive. I had even sent a video of the problem as it happened.

Anyway, Marantz (Sound United) had me send it to a place out here on the West Coast down in the OC.

Mine was still under full warranty, and not a User Error.

(This is how I learned about some of the Lock-Out scenarios and other faults.)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
First off appreciate you being a good sport about us asking you to change your text format.
We really aren't trying to be rude it's just hard to answer everything if it's all condensed into one section of text. But we are glad you came to us for help.

Second if the Marantz is out of warranty then the Denon X4500H would be a good replace. I have the 3700H and enjoy it. As mentioned the preamp section would be perfect for your Emotiva amp

Third we are going to need some room pics and we need to see how you have the speakers placed. We also need a room diagram amd also distance to listening position.

We need this due to Deftech being bipole speakers and bipoles can be a little tricky to get setup right. Also the integrated subs can be tricky as well to get the bass right. A lot of sound issues including imaging clarity and dynamics come down to proper bass setup we can help you with that.

If you could show us this info we could help you figure out why your sound might have been off and also how to fix your setup issues before you get a new reciever or get the old one fixed.

Hope everything works out!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So do you have 2 9080 powered towers for the front. A 9080 center channel and then 2 9040s for side surrounds and 2 9080 powered towers for the rear surrounds?

And I understanding your gear correctly?

Also no subwoofers except for the towers correct.

So a 7 speaker bed layer is this correct?

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
Yes that’s the speaker set up . An emotiva xpa 5 amp on order and decided to have the marantz repaired.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not a lot of difference obtained via pre-amp/avr as pre-amp but particular amp might make a difference if you're pushing things. Way overthought usually.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yes that’s the speaker set up . An emotiva xpa 5 amp on order and decided to have the marantz repaired.
Okay first off I don't have a problem with you buying an amp. The guys are right you probably will not need it but why not. Extra headroom never hurt and if you don't need it just flip it get some of your money back.

Second what are your room dimensions? Length x width x height.

Third. Is this a theater room or living room area? Carpet and curtains rugs etc or lots of hard surfaces?

4rth how far back do you sit from the front 3 speakers?

5th please send either pictures or a diagram explaining where the speakers are at in the room? Definitive have a GREAT WIDE Soundstage I owned some of the older towers. They give up some imaging but the Soundstage and dynamics are AWESOME. BUT they are very picky about where you place them for them to image and sound well. How far out are they in your room and away from walls?

6th and most important how did you have them hooked up to the reciever? There is a best way to do it especially with those powered woofers

7th I know you have to budget slow with the wife but you really need to invest in a couple of subs. Those aren't true subs in those towers and they may be in bad spots in the room for bass. Where a tower sounds best isn't usually where the subs sound best. I'm telling you'd be suprised that a lot of your sound quality issues may be coming from bass issues it screws up a lot of the entire sound when the bass isn't dialed in right. But we'll get to subs a later day. We can get the best out of those towers now that we can. But we will need to get to it someday those definitive towers usually work best crossed at 60 to 80hz with a couple great subs covering the deep bass. That way you can use those powered towers to cover everything 60hz and above and really crank your midbass slam and just dynamics of those speakers. They sound pretty cool that way.

Please send us that info!!!! Thank you!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Oh one more thing I know that 9080 center has a powered sub in it.NEVER run it full range. Those centers do much better with higher crossovers. 80hz or higher otherwise those subs in those centers can make the center channel and dialogue sound muddy unclear and boomy

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
good morning. Room is 23 lg 13 w. 8 ht no carpet. So speaker placement is pretty much towers at one end and surrounds on back wall and because of a doorway on each side of the room the 40’s are just about the center of the room 12 feet. Center. But high up because of the doorways

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
Disappointed to learn that maybe a power amp was not needed. But it seemed to get the speakers to really kick with movies or music I had to turn the marantz up to like 68. Or even better. And at 30 seemed like nothing

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
Brought the amp. Sending receiver out for repair. So now I need a plan to get the subs

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Disappointed to learn that maybe a power amp was not needed. But it seemed to get the speakers to really kick with movies or music I had to turn the marantz up to like 68. Or even better. And at 30 seemed like nothing
When you get the AVR back and run Audyssey again you might want to change the volume to the relative scale where 0 is your reference level. Listening, with your new sub/s, should put you in the -30db to -20 for most content. When you get below -20db it's starts to get real loud for most people.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
good morning. Room is 23 lg 13 w. 8 ht no carpet. So speaker placement is pretty much towers at one end and surrounds on back wall and because of a doorway on each side of the room the 40’s are just about the center of the room 12 feet. Center. But high up because of the doorways
Hey! Good morning so are we talking about the 9040 towers? With the 8 inch integrated powered woofers?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Also where is the center channel located? How high off the floor is it. I'm assuming you have a couch this is a living room area?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Brought the amp. Sending receiver out for repair. So now I need a plan to get the subs
If you don't want to buy the subs at this point in time no worries we can get them integrated later. The definitive speakers will do the job for now. Just understand that even though they put out good bass they can't really do that home theater bass. Just look on SVS and see how big the ported PB 2000 with a 12 inch driver really is. I know the 9080 have a powered 12 inch woofer in there but look how little room it has to truly work with crammed in that tower. That's why I call them powered woofers Lol they are not true subs at all

So someday we need to get you some real subs to get you to that home theater level that in the movies experience you said you were after

But I'd recommend you save up like you did with these you don't have to buy everything at once

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I will say it again there is NOTHING wrong with buying that amp. Don't let our comments deter you from enjoying your gear. I always buy amps whether I need them or not because

A I like the extra headroom
B I like the fact that my power supply is capable of great output at all channels instead of being cannibalized by the small amps crammed in a reciever
C I like the fact that my power supply is not crammed in a AVR chassis with all the rest of the hdmi and other things an AVR needs to have stuffed in they're electronically to do they're job
D I like extending the life of the AVR because you can usually run them cooler using external amps

So don't feel bad about the amp AT ALL. After you get your reciever back hook the speakers up without the amp and with the amp play at low listening levels and high listening levels on your favorite movies and music. IF you can't tell a difference then sell the amp use the money towards sub's

IF you like the amp better or want to keep it for the 4 reasons I mentioned above then keep it

nothing to feel bad about either way

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Just don't fall for the snake oil that a amp somehow magically makes the sound better. All a good amp does is reproduce the signal accurately with more output less distortion.

A good amp should sound in fact just like your reciever because a good amp doesnt color the sound the amp should sound a bit better at lower volumes and cleaner when you crank it

But once again There's nothing wrong with owning that amp bro your doing just fine

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Having the amp will take a load off of the receiver??? Looking to prevent damage to the receiver

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis