My Infinity Perfect Enclosures.

Matt34

Matt34

So I'm bad and placed a couple bids on a the Infinity Beta 20s from the HK Ebay store. If I win I'll get them at a crazy price but I'm still exploring other possibilities. ;)

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Why not look into the JTRs 8s. I heard those up north and they were pretty sick, big sound that could keep up with your new subs, but still very nice/neutral sounding. The pricing is very reasonable and rmk has been happy with this over the long term.

Matt34

Matt34

Why not look into the JTRs 8s. I heard those up north and they were pretty sick, big sound that could keep up with your new subs, but still very nice/nuetral sounding.
I wish I could because they would be first on the list but they are just too much for me right now.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
What would a couple of PC350's sound like stood on end? I know that they are rated to 80Hz. I've just never really heard anything about their SQ nor am I sure what a vertical position would do. But I'm positive others would be able to speculate. You would end up with the perfectly matched front stage that is all the rage ... :)

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
You have inspired me to get off my butt and take some pics of my build...

Your subs turned out great.

Matt34

Matt34

LOL, I just won both Beta 20s for less than $100. I'll give them a try and if I like them I'll pick up a third for a center but I'm going to continue to look for some more permanent replacements for the Primus.

I'm also looking at Emotiva's new speaker lineup, specifically the ERM 6.2:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe you could be talked into a little Beta 20 / PC350 AB action.

Matt34

Matt34

That's gotta be the smoothest transition at the crossover point that I've ever seen. That's a pretty sweet looking graph. Nice job.
Thanks, I have three Infinity Beta 20s on the way so let's hope we can keep the smooth FR going.;) The Insignias aren't bad but after watching the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds BR last night, there is much room for improvement that the graph doesn't show.

Hopefully by this weekend I'll have a grasp on REW and will be using that along with a future DCX 2496 to get the most out of it.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Hopefully by this weekend I'll have a grasp on REW and will be using that along with a future DCX 2496 to get the most out of it.
Please show your work and your notes in the margins. I'm considering going that route but I am a little intimidated with the various hardware, software and adjustment methods that plan requires. I like the SMS-1 because it's plug and play. I'm not sure I'm ready to play with the Big Dawgs yet.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Please show your work and your notes in the margins. I'm considering going that route but I am a little intimidated with the various hardware, software and adjustment methods that plan requires. I like the SMS-1 because it's plug and play. I'm not sure I'm ready to play with the Big Dawgs yet.
For 500-600 bucks you can get the dbX with a microphone that basically does the same thing as the SMS with all the processing gadgets too...eq, limitors, compressors, sub-harmonic synth, etc.

Kind of a lame video, but it gives you the basic idea.

Both the Behringers and dbX's aren't too hard to use, it just seems a bit intimidating from the start. I've used both as crossovers in venues, limitors, etc.

Honestly I think a big benefit to the dbX (and I think the Behringer does this too) is time-aligning, which helps get your tops to match with your sub better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt34

Matt34

I have Kayne West "Love Lockdown" playing right now, these subs are freaking sick.:D:D

Matt34

Matt34

I'm going to try and move these things tonight. While playing some bass heavy music last night I feel the listening postion is in some kind of null or something that isn't showing up on the SMS-1 graph. As I walk around the room I can clearly hear a difference in the bass response. So I'm going to try a couple other spots, one being on either side of the listening postion as endtables or one up front and the other one in the back corner(if my XLR cables are long enough).

Matt34

Matt34

Two of the Beta 20s arrived. Size comparision between the Insignias and Primus 142.

New sub positions:

Created some peaks with the new positions but tamed with EQ, sound is much better than before:

I may have a third Kappa Perfect built.;):D

annunaki

annunaki

Matt, keep experimenting with position. The sweet spot(s) do exist. Place one of those puppies in the listening position and crawl around to listen for the best two spots in the room.

Matt34

Matt34

I think I finally nailed the placement issues I was having.

Nearfield rear corner loaded....stacked!:D Best bass so far, the Ironhide scene is downright intense with bass I can feel in my gut.

Front stage with Rythmik subs x-over at 60hz.

My FR graph on the SMS-1 is flat as I could wish for too but I bumped up the bass +3db just because I can't get enough.

Really happy with this setup....finally.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
congrats ... i'm looking for that good subwoofer location now. do you move them yourself or do you have minions on standby?

Matt34

Matt34

congrats ... i'm looking for that good subwoofer location now. do you move them yourself or do you have minions on standby?
Myself, luckily the slide pretty well on the carpet.:D I'll get a pic of the SMS-1 screen tomorrow and also take the SPL meter out and see what kind of peaks I'm hitting.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Nice solution. Very creative. It actually looks better like that too.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
very cool setup Matt,they look impressive stacked up like so,i'm sure the sound and feel is just as impressive,I hope I learn all the graphs and settings it just makes better sense to truly understand all aspects.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis