billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Question. How do you think the Sierra towers would work with the regular sierra-1 center?
Since the Towers come with the NrT....unless the Sierra 1 center comes with the same tweeter it might not provide the right balance or seemless transition you'd be looking for? I've never had the opportunity to listen to the Sierra 1 but from what I've been able to discern having owned the NrT version they're said to be differnt sounding speakers.

I'd just sooner ask Dave over at the Ascend forum...he is usually a straight shooting guy and tells it like it is?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Just added Anthem's MRX300....waiting to run ARC once USB serial adapter arrives...so far, so good. One of my concerns was it wasn't rated spec wise nearly as powerful as my last 2 receivers (denon3805 & yammy rxv1800) but I haven't noticed a difference. Once everything been measured, EQed & calibrated using ARC the lesser power rating will be an "non" issue...IMO. The ARC software allows for a wide range of tweaks and settings both for music and movies....well beyond what I was used too with my YPAO...:cool:.

I'll post some graphs later...

Re: Bill...:)

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Just added Anthem's MRX300....waiting to run ARC once USB serial adapter arrives...so far, so good. One of my concerns was it wasn't rated spec wise nearly as powerful as my last 2 receivers (denon3805 & yammy rxv1800) but I haven't noticed a difference. Once everything been measured, EQed & calibrated using ARC the lesser power rating will be an "non" issue...IMO. The ARC software allows for a wide range of tweaks and settings both for music and movies....well beyond what I was used too with my YPAO...:cool:.

Verey nice update photo :D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

Man I really need to get some upgrades around here...I'm jealous.:cool:

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

The ARC kit includes the stand and mic...I needed both...really excited to finally properly EQ my system. I thought about getting a unit with XT32 but I like the ARC software versatility & EQ prowess and the fact xt32 receivers cost much more. Another thing that sold me on the 300 was it's dimensions are better suited inside my credenza...the yammy casing was bigger all around.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
the 300 is a great unit, i like mine!, i added an xpa-5 recently and enjoy it even more. Enjoy!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
After a few days of using the ARC software I finally have some results. Judging by the results you'll see that my fronts and surrounds had some dips/or null and peaks respectively. Arc smoothed that peak found with my surrounds ~200hz but had a more difficult time with the dip in my room found ~150hz for my mains...if you guys have any suggestion on tweaking the mains, I'm all ears.

Yeah...overall I'm happy with my MRX300 and the results from ARC...I liked that fact I could set different xovers points for music and movies... I know some of "YOU" out there don't care for REQ & software and have already stated it as fact....but as you can see from my results...that my room was far from prefect. Anyways...I'll listen now for awhile gonna catch up some some Blu rays and music because my xmass tree is outta here and my room is back to normal.

Regards...Bill..:D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

Recently upgraded my STC with RAAL and I ordered custom finished htm200 se in espresso...

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

Recently upgraded my STC with RAAL and I ordered custom finished htm200 se in espresso...
Those 200's look nice! I've always been interested in them but never bought a pair.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I hooked up the 200se just to give em a listen....they'll only be used for surround duties. I could of had the 170's(standard finish same cost as the 200s) or better yet... the Sierra's but the 200s are smaller and sealed so they don't present some of the inherent placement, mounting issues like the others. As for the RAAL...it wasn't related to any buyer’s remorse because I really enjoy the NrT's Tower and this was the easiest way I could audition the RAAL in home.

I have to say the differences are subtle but present…the intelligibility with the new RAAL while viewing movies is clearly defined even at low to moderate listening levels...dialogue/or conversation just seem to just pop and easy to follow….this surprised me the most and something I had to hear for myself.

And no, at this time I have no inkling to have the Towers fitted with new RAALs...this would be really cost prohibitive proposition you can only push your luck so far with the SO.:D

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Just a shameless plug...I know...but here is the sb13u with my newly arrived XS30.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Upgrading subs I see

Hi James:

Well the PSA is mine the Svs is a loner form another member. I'm going to try and do some in depth listening when time permits but it will have to wait untill after X-mas...I will take some notes in an attempt to put into words my thoughts on the differences bewteen the 2 subs.

Just a quick observation when listening up close at low lsitening levels some subtle differences, but at the LP ~11.5' away they do sound simlilar. I'm just glad I have this opportunity right now to hear the sb13u...I've had it for about a week now and its a real nice sub...I watched OHF and Man Of Steel this weekend and it suprised the heck outta me....:).

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I had the most pleasant surprise this evening when I logged in.:cool:

I had a PM with a phone number attached from one of our very esteemed members...so... I called & spoke briefly with them....

it was Alex. :)

I extended him an invite to come over and demo my set-up while in town. We made arrangements for this Thursday...I am very excited and looking forward to meeting him.

Alex....you're welcomed here anytime...thanks for the heads-up!!

Cheers, Bill

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I had the most pleasant surprise this evening when I logged in.:cool:

I had a PM with a phone number attached from one of our very esteemed members...so... I called & spoke briefly with them....

it was Alex. :)

I extended him an invite to come over and demo my set-up while in town. We made arrangements for this Thursday...I am very excited and looking forward to meeting him.

Alex....you're welcomed here anytime...thanks for the heads-up!!

Cheers, Bill
It's good to meet up with guys you've talked to for years. I got to meet Mazer this summer...What a trip.:D

I'll be interested in what Alex's impressions are of your Ascends vs his Song Towers. I've heard Song Towers but not Ascend towers. I'd like to change things up in my setup...

ps Lock up your valuables.:p

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah..meeting people is nice, I recently met up with Jim Farina of PSA and Svs fame on my visit Stateside last month. I hope Mazer is doing fine....I enjoyed reading his posts when a regular here.

Ha...I hope he didn't bring his Salk on this trip...jk...:p.

I hope he is honest and talks candidly about the speakers or even my sub....I know the Salk will be a slight deviation from what he's become used to with his Salk. Unforuntately... I don't have the RAAL Towers...but I'm sure he'll like the dynamic range of NrTs for movie viewing...I certainly do. My system is pretty simple compared to most members on these forums.

Cheers, Bill

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah..meeting people is nice, I recently met up with Jim Farina of PSA and Svs fame on my visit Stateside last month. I hope Mazer is doing fine....I enjoyed reading his posts when a regular here.

Ha...I hope he didn't bring his Salk on this trip...jk...:p.

I hope he is honest and talks candidly about the speakers or even my sub....I know the Salk will be a slight deviation from what he's become used to with his Salk. Unforuntately... I don't have the RAAL Towers...but I'm sure he'll like the dynamic range of NrTs for movie viewing...I certainly do. My system is pretty simple compared to most members on these forums.

Cheers, Bill
No worries with him being candid...and I mean that in s good way.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis