Choosing Speakers for Dedicated Home Theater

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Guys please help me with speakers for Dedicated Home Theater. It is a real tough on what to pick for that. I am working a project for my Uncle and he is getting a new home built. And while planning for it I am unable to decide on what speakers to pick for Home Theater.

He is going for $50k KEF Reference(Fronts) + R Meta(Surrounds) 9.8.6 setup for the Living Room. So yeah that makes it real difficult to pick up anything for Home-theater that would actually take it up a notch or two from there.

Issue is that after experiencing KEF home theater and how immersive and enveloping it is. I am unable to decide on what should I pick up to top that. I mean there are options what are better but then they be costing way more too. Don't want that.

I can go KEF THX In-wall lineup and call it a day. But seriously is that it. Will that be the best.

At tops I am thinking the budget per speaker to be $5k(avg) like mains can be more expensive surrounds be less. See I can either do expensive 15ch setup or cut down on price per speaker and go for more channels if that helps. But I cannot do expensive + more channels than 15. Because Trinnov 32ch gonna cost 5x Denon A1H. So yeah that is very expensive. If you guys recommend more than 15ch please weigh in the price of Trinnov.

What I am looking for is speaker that do a better surround like depth handling perfect imaging and dynamics. While sounding as fast and clean if possible. For that big room it need to be able handle high volumes.

Room Size: 25'x30'x10'
Number of Subwoofers: 16

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
What about psa. Jtr. ascendo.

These might be what you're looking for.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
What about psa. Jtr. ascendo.

These might be what you're looking for.
Yes considering those. But based on them being narrow dispersion I am not sure I can get similar experience if not better unless I up the channel count. I am looking for the speakers those can get me similar depth of field and enveloping experience that KEF offers and be more dynamic. Definitely considering JTR. But as I said I need to up the channel count and the price goes up crazy with that specially as I be needing to purchase Trinnov or Storm Audio.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
As I mentioned over at AVS, Triad Gold Monitors and Mini-Monitors would make an amazing system.

Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls. In addition to InRoom speakers, Triad has In-Wall, OnWall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for rooms in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards. The company is also a development partner for Dolby, helping to design speaker systems for immersive audio. Most recently, Triad Gold Monitor speakers won Best of Show at the 2019 CEDIA Expo in Denver. How Triad's Are Built:

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
As I mentioned over at AVS, Triad Gold Monitors and Mini-Monitors would make an amazing system.

Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls. In addition to InRoom speakers, Triad has In-Wall, OnWall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for rooms in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards. The company is also a development partner for Dolby, helping to design speaker systems for immersive audio. Most recently, Triad Gold Monitor speakers won Best of Show at the 2019 CEDIA Expo in Denver. How Triad's Are Built:
Will look into Triad more. But he is purchasing KEF Reference Meta for his Living room. So as he already is purchasing that am looking for something that could be even better than that or at-least have similar or better depth and enveloping dimensionality and dynamics. See I am able to find speakers that have better dynamics but sadly am not able to find a combo which can do equal if not better surround than the KEF Reference Meta. If he were to have purchased some other speaker than KEF for Living room then would have been easy going for KEF for Home theater. But as he already is purchasing KEF Reference for living room he is expecting better surround and enveloping ability and more dynamic setup for Home theater. So yeah that is the issue.

For others to get some context.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If he loves KEF, I think going with KEF THX In-wall/In-ceiling is a safe bet.

I think there are other options that are as good. But I doubt if they are any better than the KEF Reference or KEF THX speakers.

Same thing with the AVP's. Trinnov, Storm, and others are all good. I doubt if one is significantly better than the others.

If he really wants to spend a lot of money, that's cool. :D

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
High quality sound and bangin' dynamic range will cost quite a bit. Maybe consider reallocating some of the subwoofer budget to the speakers. Seriously, are 16 subs required? Seems a bit over the top to me. Reel that in to, say, 4 subs, and that may open up options for more costly speakers (e.g. Perlisten, Sigberg, RBH, etc.) that have the qualities your uncle is aiming for.

Last edited:
KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
High quality sound and bangin' dynamic range will cost quite a bit. Maybe consider reallocating some of the subwoofer budget to the speakers. Seriously, are 16 subs required? Seems a bit over the top to me. Reel that in to, say, 4 subs, and that may open up options for more costly speakers (e.g. Perlisten, Sigberg, RBH, etc.) that have the qualities your uncle is aiming for.
Actually not spending high on Subwoofers. They be DIY Dayton Audio Ultimax 18" + Crown Amp combo. So yeah budget is going towards speakers. But then I don't want to spend crazy amount on that either where each speaker costs $8-10k or above. Okay for Fronts I can justify that cost but not for the surrounds though.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'd agree that 16 Subs is a bit overkill, though to be fair... if there is any input from some of the AVS folk, you need two subs per Speaker! :eek: Its a good size room, but if its well designed and closed, you can achieve pretty outstanding results with fewer... just need to be smart about what you choose, and why. But even a DBA only really requires 8 subs.

Then put the biggest share of the budget to 3 matched Speakers at L/R/C that can deliver on output and be smart about the support Speakers for all Surround and Atmos.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
If he loves KEF, I think going with KEF THX In-wall/In-ceiling is a safe bet.

I think there are other options that are as good. But I doubt if they are any better than the KEF Reference or KEF THX speakers.

Same thing with the AVP's. Trinnov, Storm, and others are all good. I doubt if one is significantly better than the others.

If he really wants to spend a lot of money, that's cool. :D
Yes that be the safe bet. But don't want to back down from being able to find anything better. Hence am searching the forums. If nothing works then yes will do the KEF THX In-walls.

I did consider something like JTR but then that needs bump up in channel count which means I need to get Trinnov or Storm Audio processor. So yeah total budget will skyrocket.

What other brands are out there offering better sound quality that KEF. Specially in terms of surround capability. I have not come across any besides RBH. But that is way too expensive.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Actually not spending high on Subwoofers. They be DIY Dayton Audio Ultimax 18" + Crown Amp combo. So yeah budget is going towards speakers. But then I don't want to spend crazy amount on that either where each speaker costs $8-10k or above. Okay for Fronts I can justify that cost but not for the surrounds though.
I've heard a lot of concerns about the Ultimax 18s. Most notably is motor noise and folk saying that can here the driver moving in quiet passages.
This is something that should be looked at very carefully. Make certain you will be happy with the end result.

FWIW, I've been hearing good things about the OneAudio 24s... In combination with some Devastators, you can achieve a very strong and significant impact for the full Subwoofer range.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes that be the safe bet. But don't want to back down from being able to find anything better. Hence am searching the forums. If nothing works then yes will do the KEF THX In-walls.

I did consider something like JTR but then that needs bump up in channel count which means I need to get Trinnov or Storm Audio processor. So yeah total budget will skyrocket.

What other brands are out there offering better sound quality that KEF. Specially in terms of surround capability. I have not come across any besides RBH. But that is way too expensive.
IIRC, the JTRs are a very solid 60º horizontal dispersion. Without seeing the complete layout and everything, I would think the ±30º on horizontal axis should cover the seating area pretty efficiently.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I'd agree that 16 Subs is a bit overkill, though to be fair... if there is any input from some of the AVS folk, you need two subs per Speaker! :eek: Its a good size room, but if its well designed and closed, you can achieve pretty outstanding results with fewer... just need to be smart about what you choose, and why. But even a DBA only really requires 8 subs.

Then put the biggest share of the budget to 3 matched Speakers at L/R/C that can deliver on output and be smart about the support Speakers for all Surround and Atmos.
See last time I did a bit smaller setup I did settle for 8subs. But they were ported. This time around I am thinking to do sealed subs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Actually not spending high on Subwoofers. They be DIY Dayton Audio Ultimax 18" + Crown Amp combo...
Wait, what? :D

A $50K system with Dayton DIY Subs/Crown amps?

This thread needs to read "What would you get for $50K HT system?"

Something like: RBH (SI-831 x 9 In-wall) + (SI-615 x 6 In-ceiling) + (SI-1212 x 12 In-wall sub) or dual 21" subs. :cool:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
See last time I did a bit smaller setup I did settle for 8subs. But they were ported. This time around I am thinking to do sealed subs.
I'm not an expert on the rest of the setup... but you are pretty close to a "bespoke" HT setup.

Do your due diligence of the UM18-22s. These will become the weakest link among the other gear that's being discussed.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Wait, what? :D

A $50K system with Dayton DIY Subs/Crown amps?

This thread needs to read "What would you get for $50K HT system?"

Something like: RBH (SI-831 x 9 In-wall) + (SI-615 x 6 In-ceiling) + (SI-1212 x 12 In-wall sub) or dual 21" subs. :cool:
No. See that $50k was for Living Room setup. Yes even that has DIY subs 15" each. But that is with a reason. Here in India Subwoofers are crazy expensive or small sized low output models. And if I purchase from Internet direct brand and get it shipped the way we do speakers it will add up to cost like crazy for shipping and taxes etc. I have to get the speakers shipped depending on what I go for. So want the budget to go towards speakers instead of Subwoofers. And to be honest DIY subs are way better than low end subs. And Getting in Subwoofer drivers is much more cost effective than getting in subwoofers.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I'm not an expert on the rest of the setup... but you are pretty close to a "bespoke" HT setup.

Do your due diligence of the UM18-22s. These will become the weakest link among the other gear that's being discussed.
I open to advise on Subwoofer drivers but see getting in fully built subwoofers from Rythmik or JTR or RBH will become crazy expensive and eat up lot into total budget. Then won't be able to get decent speakers or other gear.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I open to advise on Subwoofer drivers but see getting in fully built subwoofers from Rythmik or JTR or RBH will become crazy expensive and eat up lot into total budget. Then won't be able to get decent speakers or other gear.
I think I missed the "India" part if it was mentioned before. ;)

Nothing wrong with DIY if you have the tools... it's the Driver specifically that I had become concerned with. Again, a lot of folk on AVS have soured on the Ultimax Driver. But for what you can get where you are... *shrugs Perhaps that still becomes one of the better alternative.

If you have the space available, I would still look at some Devastators with LaVoce or B&C Drivers... the output from these is insane and you won't need as many to hit a "violent" threshold of SPL. If you could get something else in the 18-24" range that would deliver on the infrasonic side, you could easily build out the bottom octave.

But again, this is dependent on what is actually available to you, and as you said... at what cost considering the shipping.

Happy hunting!

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I think I missed the "India" part if it was mentioned before. ;)

Nothing wrong with DIY if you have the tools... it's the Driver specifically that I had become concerned with. Again, a lot of folk on AVS have soured on the Ultimax Driver. But for what you can get where you are... *shrugs Perhaps that still becomes one of the better alternative.

If you have the space available, I would still look at some Devastators with LaVoce or B&C Drivers... the output from these is insane and you won't need as many to hit a "violent" threshold of SPL. If you could get something else in the 18-24" range that would deliver on the infrasonic side, you could easily build out the bottom octave.

But again, this is dependent on what is actually available to you, and as you said... at what cost considering the shipping.

Happy hunting!
Please. Recommend some good drivers if possible. Yes will look into LaVoce and B&C drivers. As I said getting in Subwoofer drivers is an easy and extremely cost effective task. So yes please recommend any driver you think be better and will consider it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis