My First Official Turntable!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well I'll be... Mrs Pogre is pretty excited about being able to play her records, lol. I almost got more excited when she came out of the spare room with a stack of full lps. Until I flipped through them. All disco! Well, also some Englebert Humperdink, Doobie Brothers and Beach Boys... sigh.
Englebert Humperdink, Doobie Brothers and Beach Boys. Good thing your wife has good diverse taste. I have a 5x LP boxset from Humperdink and a couple of Doobie LPs from Thrifting. Haven't found any Beach Boys, but have them on CD. I enjoy most gens. I'm so elated for you both. ❤♥☕

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Nice to hear you're enjoying your new toy. That Who album was a great choice to ship with the tt. I got a whole box of 45s from a friend who used to DJ but have to be in the right mood to want to get up every 4 minutes to change songs. :D Recording quality varies like in any format. There are some vinyl LPs I have that sound better than some CDs simply because they were engineered better. Classic example was Rush's Moving Pictures. LP sounds great but the first CD release was horrible. Hope you find some gems in there.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Englebert Humperdink, Doobie Brothers and Beach Boys. Good thing your wife has good diverse taste. I have a 5x LP boxset from Humperdink and a couple of Doobie LPs from Thrifting. Haven't found any Beach Boys, but have them on CD. I enjoy most gens. I'm so elated for you both. ❤♥☕
We spun those 45s all afternoon yesterday. Wifey is off today and can't wait for me to start working so she can listen to some of those lps she dug up last night.

Sorry honey, I gotta draw the line with the "Grease" soundtrack and the Bee Gees greatest hits... lol.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
We spun those 45s all afternoon yesterday. Wifey is off today and can't wait for me to start working so she can listen to some of those lps she dug up last night.

Sorry honey, I gotta draw the line with the "Grease" soundtrack and the Bee Gees greatest hits... lol.
Have to admit, You're The One That I Want is kind'a catchy and Olivia is damn hot in spandex. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Wouldn't ya know it, but my mom calls me today to ask if I want any of my grandparents old 45s.

What is happening?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Wouldn't ya know it, but my mom calls me today to ask if I want any of my grandparents old 45s.

What is happening?
I have 45's of Speedy Gonzales, Echo Boogie and the Peppermint Twist from my parents. Cherish those memories. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I came home to this today, lol.

8001_copy_960x720.jpeg

And this was playing...
7999_copy_960x720.jpeg

The missus was sitting on the couch with tears welling up in her eyes. She hadn't listened to it in 40 years. So it was a sweet moment and all, but "It's A Small World"?? Gawd. At least it was about over. She spent all morning playing records. I think this tt has pushed her over the edge and she's officially an audiophile now. She's never heard her records sound so good, and I gotta admit I was surprised too. Those records sat in storage for 40 years, got pretty dirty and beat up, but they cleaned up well and some of them sound great. Like actual hifi sound. I'm impressed.

I just wish she had some better lps! It's like 2 different people bought the 45s and the lps! Of all of the lps there's one I kinda like. John Denver's greatest hits. Even at that it's just kinda meh. She does have some cool 45s tho. All this time I've been saying I don't have any vinyl and we actually have a bit of a collection. More than I thought. I just wish I liked more of it, lol.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 49247

And this was playing...
View attachment 49246

The missus was sitting on the couch with tears welling up in her eyes. She hadn't listened to it in 40 years. So it was a sweet moment and all, but "It's A Small World"?? Gawd. At least it was about over. She spent all morning playing records. I think this tt has pushed her over the edge and she's officially an audiophile now. She's never heard her records sound so good, and I gotta admit I was surprised too. Those records sat in storage for 40 years, got pretty dirty and beat up, but they cleaned up well and some of them sound great. Like actual hifi sound. I'm impressed.

I just wish she had some better lps! It's like 2 different people bought the 45s and the lps! Of all of the lps there's one I kinda like. John Denver's greatest hits. Even at that it's just kinda meh. She does have some cool 45s tho. All this time I've been saying I don't have any vinyl and we actually have a bit of a collection. More than I thought. I just wish I liked more of it, lol.
Seek out used record stores in your area if they exist to build a collection of music you like to see if you will continue on this journey.

Audiocircle has a very good vinyl/TT section with plenty of affordable(sensible) tweaks, cleaning options, etc

Be careful , you might just hooked !

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
My wife also has some Disney in her collection. One minute it's The Tragically Hip, the next it's "Be Our Guest" from Beauty and the Beast. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

View attachment 49247

And this was playing...
View attachment 49246

That's pretty awesome.

My "it's a small world" story isn't as good. We went to Disney World when I was 10 and my brother was 5. For some reason I'll never understand that ride was not so popular. They let us ride it 4 times without getting off. I never want to hear that song again.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Bump. Any vinyl finds at Thrift stores?
Honestly so far I've only looked once and pickings were slim, but I still like to play some of the 45s my wife has. Dire Straits' "Money For Nuthin" is one of my favorites of the bunch because it sounds so good. It still surprises how good most of them sound, having been stored for decades and washed with dish soap and water in the kitchen sink!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis