My DIY speakers "J&N"

Dale Doback

Dale Doback

Junior Audioholic
Those have got to be the sturdiest cabinets I have ever seen. Very nice. Gave me some ideas. :)

jororaitchev

jororaitchev

Junior Audioholic
Is that frequency range +/- 3db?
Yes it is.
In fact, the problem is in the cabinet construction / slope 6% /. Another problem is the Magnesium Aluminum Alloy. But this construction is my work, I do not complain about the achievements, but the most important thing is that the investor also likes the result.

jororaitchev

jororaitchev

Junior Audioholic
There's still a lot of work on the stands.
I show you a few pictures of the front speaker bases, the rear speaker stands will look like the same;
sr.jpg sr-.jpg sr-0.jpg sr-1.jpg
Always been a problem with the MDF, especially when we have a multilayer construction. Over time, individual parts are beginning to show up - all of this is the result of improper processing. Soon I will show you how to deal with this problem.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I am not a fan of MDF. It has no directional-structural stability. There is a plastic sheet material we use at work that shares the same condition. I end up encasing aluminum in it. In the case of MDF. . . . plywood backers/cores or stiffeners. The amount of framing it takes to keep this material from becoming a starved horse, really negates any savings with it.

jororaitchev

jororaitchev

Junior Audioholic
I am not a fan of MDF. It has no directional-structural stability. There is a plastic sheet material we use at work that shares the same condition. I end up encasing aluminum in it. In the case of MDF. . . . plywood backers/cores or stiffeners. The amount of framing it takes to keep this material from becoming a starved horse, really negates any savings with it.
It really sounds very, very complicated, can one picture with your version...Thank You!

There is a simple question to me; how from position - 12.jpg , get position-29.jpg

jororaitchev

jororaitchev

Junior Audioholic
There's still a lot of work on the stands.
I show you a few pictures of the front speaker bases, the rear speaker stands will look like the same;
View attachment 22972View attachment 22973View attachment 22974View attachment 22975
Always been a problem with the MDF, especially when we have a multilayer construction. Over time, individual parts are beginning to show up - all of this is the result of improper processing. Soon I will show you how to deal with this problem.
A very, very underestimated moment - work with multilayer MDF!
I show you a German site, that offers such "DIY loudspeakers -cabinet " and please for your attention, they want money for such a product;
шибано.jpg

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
A very, very underestimated moment - work with multilayer MDF!
I show you a German site, that offers such "DIY loudspeakers -cabinet " and please for your attention, they want money for such a product;
View attachment 24641
I have worked with laminations and composites many years. One way around it is to use wood veneers with the layers grain direction on diagonal bias with reference to the framing. They cold mold some fine and fair sailing hulls in this manner.

And when one can't avoid this, a long sanding board across the high places.

jororaitchev

jororaitchev

Junior Audioholic
I have worked with laminations and composites many years. One way around it is to use wood veneers with the layers grain direction on diagonal bias with reference to the framing. They cold mold some fine and fair sailing hulls in this manner.

And when one can't avoid this, a long sanding board across the high places.
Actually, the problem with the "seasonal" movement of the MDF material, I have long decided by my way (please see item 107), but this method requires a lot of effort and financial assets!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Actually, the problem with the "seasonal" movement of the MDF material, I have long decided by my way (please see item 107), but this method requires a lot of effort and financial assets!
Where I live, we have great fluctuations in humidity beyond 90% and perhaps 30-40% in Winter months. I seal all exposed MDF with thinned epoxy unless it is getting unbacked veneer. I have sealed some cabinets under veneer with epoxy, but this would mean that raw, "unbacked" veneer would have to be adhered with epoxy as well for a compatible bond. Because of this humidity changes, raw veneer can creep/ripple over time when using softer adhesives such as contact cement, so special, hard setting, veneer glue is recommended.

No matter how one approaches such things or great finishes, you always pay the full amount somewhere in the process and typically in the preparations. There is no shortcuts! I notice I have no friends when the blocks and sandpaper are in hand!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Where I live, we have great fluctuations in humidity beyond 90% and perhaps 30-40% in Winter months. I seal all exposed MDF with thinned epoxy unless it is getting unbacked veneer. I have sealed some cabinets under veneer with epoxy, but this would mean that raw, "unbacked" veneer would have to be adhered with epoxy as well for a compatible bond. Because of this humidity changes, raw veneer can creep/ripple over time when using softer adhesives such as contact cement, so special, hard setting, veneer glue is recommended.

No matter how one approaches such things or great finishes, you always pay the full amount somewhere in the process and typically in the preparations. There is no shortcuts! I notice I have no friends when the blocks and sandpaper are in hand!
I would have to agree, you are likely in the most challenging environment with humidity as a concern.

Yeah, I wouldn't really put all that time and effort into a finish for myself, and you would have to buy a LOT of beer to get me to agree to help with that work.

jororaitchev

jororaitchev

Junior Audioholic
A look at the room where I listen to music/everything you see is created by my hands- fact!/:1.jpg

jororaitchev

jororaitchev

Junior Audioholic
I finished some heavy projects and I'm starting to work on the rear speaker stands;

P.S.
This is the address of my group, here there are no limitations on posting your DIY- Audio Ideas in photos, I would be very pleased if we met there! In this group , commercial posts are not allowed!
Thank you for your attention
Joro

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1046794425475324/?ref=bookmarks

Attachments

jororaitchev

jororaitchev

Junior Audioholic
The front of the stand is treated with 3 mm MDF;
1-.jpg2-.jpg3-.jpg4-.jpg
Next part - painting with acrylic spray, I need to get an idea of the lines of detail (they are many) and how they will look with the acrylic
auto varnish;
5-.jpg6-.jpg

jororaitchev

jororaitchev

Junior Audioholic
There is no hope for this project to be completed soon, because I decided to change the project to the rear speakers and make them three- way;
n.pr..jpg

PS
In this way i releasing a pair of speakers 18EX..., I will need them for another project. Crazy, madness, just DIY!

jororaitchev

jororaitchev

Junior Audioholic
Happy New Year!
int-1.jpg

I hope to finish the rear speakers project this year!
int-2.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis