P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Everything I’ve tested so far has been an atmos track, we’ll see what regular Blu ray will sound like
Agreed with Pogre, leave any gain knobs on the subs alone!!!!!! Unless you just want to have the level trims for them set to -7.5, that is you just don't like -5 lol!!

If you like what you are hearing now, you cannot stop re-running Audyssey (Pogre said that too:D), but you can also start playing with the App to tilt the target curve slightly up towards the low end whatever it is now (20, 15 Hz?) like the one below:

Reportedly most people prefer the upward swing down low, not for me as I don't like excessive bass, just want it "live like", but that's just me.

ASR Audyssey review

1600773444467.png

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Agreed with Pogre, leave any gain knobs on the subs alone!!!!!! Unless you just want to have the level trims for them set to -7.5, that is you just don't like -5 lol!!

If you like what you are hearing now, you cannot stop re-running Audyssey (Pogre said that too:D), but you can also start playing with the App to tilt the target curve slightly up towards the low end whatever it is now (20, 15 Hz?) like the one below:

Reportedly most people prefer the upward swing down low, not for me as I don't like excessive bass, just want it "live like", but that's just me.

ASR Audyssey review

View attachment 40032
I’m not going to change anything from where I have them set now, sounds really good. I’m going to pull the plugs out and see how two ports open and eq2 sounds. Tonight and tomorrow night I’m off so I should be able to run rew

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think I’m going to just leave things alone. San Andreas sounded really awesome last night before I left for work in the few scenes I tested. Overall it just sounds really awesome. I’m still running with one port plugged eq1 n q7. I can’t remember if it was peng or someone else but they suggested trying two ports open and I’m going to try that too. Switching the phase really helped a lot and the 4500 being able to independently set two sub distances, the 860 could not do that. Really like how it sounds and I haven’t even got to watch an entire movie yet. Btw, the other night when we were talking outside of here, were you saying I need to move my surrounds and my rear surrounds down in order to add atmos speakers in ceiling?
Good plan. Sit back and enjoy your hard work for awhile. Yes, I was saying to lower your surrounds. Also, I’ve seen that some Atmos tracks have lower bass levels and less extension than some of their blu ray counterparts. Absolutely stupid. If you have the regular DVD copy of Master and Commander. Try chapter 4 of the dts track. You won’t be disappointed, guaranteed. Ready player one, Fury and Hacksaw ridge are some good bass demo worthy films too. Of course others too...

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Good plan. Sit back and enjoy your hard work for awhile. Yes, I was saying to lower your surrounds. Also, I’ve seen that some Atmos tracks have lower bass levels and less extension than some of their blu ray counterparts. Absolutely stupid. If you have the regular DVD copy of Master and Commander. Try chapter 4 of the dts track. You won’t be disappointed, guaranteed. Ready player one, Fury and Hacksaw ridge are some good bass demo worthy films too. Of course others too...
I just got done listening to ready player one and hacksaw ridge sounds awesome too. Age of extinction John wick too

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Great Movie too
Guess you mean M&C? I think it’s very well done. I just HATE the fact that they put a 30hz filter on the BD edition. I didn’t know that for a long time and whenever I’d demo the BD it was always disappointing. I gave it to my brother lol.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I just got done listening to ready player one and hacksaw ridge sounds awesome too. Age of extinction John wick too
Yeah! JW is a favorite here too.
A movie that I immediately loved is King Arthur, legend of the sword. It’s a guy Ritchie film with Charlie Hunnam, and Jude Law. Modern soundtrack, interesting story telling, unique cinematography. LOVE the music track. Play it nice and loud.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I have not changed anything but if I make changes in the app, do I just load it into avr or do I have to rerun audyssey too?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Top is deq on and bottom is with deq off. I ran those yesterday morning. Thoughts? From here not exactly sure what I need to do.
Is there more bass than you want?
It is about you getting the response you want, not a specific graph. For music, I like mine pretty flat (too much bass gets boomy real quick). For HT (and a movie that I want to really enjoy the effects) I like elevated bass.
The curve shows deep bass about 15dB above where it is in the upper range (should also look at higher frequencies to verify deep bass is high and that ~100Hz is not down 15db relative to mids and highs).
Use music to determine if balance between frequencies meets your preference (unless you are 100% HT with this system).
Many of us set different volume levels (using the AVR to control) for music vs HT. When I use my DVD player to play CD's I have the Toslink input to the CD input on the AVR (of course I watch DVDs via the HDMI input). Denon allows different settings that get associated with different inputs so I have the subs turned up for HDMI/HT and turned down for CD/music.
Hope I am not contradicting any advice from others ... I am more music oriented and HT is secondary in my system.

If you want to reduce the extent of the DEQ setting, set the offset to -10dB (I'm assuming current offset = 0) Experiment with it to find your preference.

Last, you've got new gear and it sounds like you've done the "heavy lifting" and have it dialed in fairly well. Depending on your personality and how OCD you are about these settings, don't hesitate to just sit back and enjoy things for a while! Often this helps calibrate your ears/mind to your new (and improved) sound so your sense of your preference becomes more mature.

Last edited:
R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
It is about you getting the response you want, not a specific graph. For music, I like mine pretty flat (too much bass gets boomy real quick). For HT (and a movie that I want to really enjoy the effects) I like elevated bass.
The curve shows deep bass about 15dB above where it is in the upper range (should also look at higher frequencies to verify this and that it is not down 15db at 100Hz).
Use music to determine if balance between frequencies meets your preference (unless you are 100% HT with this system).
Many of us set different volume levels (using the AVR to control) for music vs HT. When I use my DVD player to play CD's I have the Toslink input to the CD input on the AVR (of course I watch DVDs via the HDMI input). Denon allows different settings that get associated with different inputs so I have the subs turned up for HDMI/HT and turned down for CD/music.
Hope I am not contradicting any advice from others ... I am more music oriented and HT is secondary in my system.

If you want to reduce the extent of the DEQ setting, set the offset to -10dB (I'm assuming current offset = 0) Experiment with it to find your preference.

Last, you've got new gear and it sounds like you've done the "heavy lifting" and have it dialed in fairly well. Depending on your personality and how OCD you are about these settings, don't hesitate to just sit back and enjoy things for a while! Often this helps calibrate your ears/mind to your new (and improved) sound so your sense of your preference becomes more mature.
I think the bass sounds fine where it is, I don’t want it over bearing. The movies I’ve tested the bass is strong and impactful. I probably watch more movies than listening to music but I do listen to music

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I’m still learning rew so I wanted an opinion and advice if the graphs looked ok/good from you more experienced fellas. Wasn’t sure if I needed to move rear sub, I don’t really have a lot of placement options.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
The curve shows deep bass about 15dB above where it is in the upper range (should also look at higher frequencies to verify deep bass is high and that ~100Hz is not down 15db relative to mids and highs).

I’m anal about certain things and HT being one of them but I just want to get it set right so I can just enjoy watching movies and listening to music rather than constantly changing things. Honestly since I finished my basement in 18 I’ve constantly just been changing this or that to see what sounds better.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
We've mentioned the acoustics before, and the thing about multiple subs in an irregular room is that you have to search for the best placements if you really want the best sound. The standard dogmatic argument for front wall, 1/4-wall, 3/4 wall, corner loading, etc is not always the best.
This is a serious rabbit hole in the middle of a briar patch. ;)

The thing only you can determine is if it sounds good to you and you are happy with it. :)

I'm a music first guy, and dial my rig in so that music sounds great. Personally, I'm happy with my HT experience while trying to keep a flat and accurate response. I also used more of the Geddes Technique in placing my subs... looking for locations where the Subs perform acoustically well and focusing on that rather than insisting they be in a certain spot.

But again... this hits at the very heart of YMMV. Only you can decide if you want to search for better... But better may only be a 1% improvement. Or better may be learning to appreciate a flatter frequency response...

YMMV! :D

You've done a lot of leg work... take more time to enjoy it, and revisit in a week or two if you want to really get dirty with REW.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
To my eye, what I don’t like is the range between about 25 and 40.

While I’m sure this gives movies some midbass punch, I’m certain that it’s covering up all the tactile couch shaking “wobble” that those subs can give. Seems like it would lose some weight.
I do like the house curve, but it seems that it would be obnoxious in that range.
I’d try using the app to pull down 30hz and 25 by about 5db and resweep. You won’t need a full audyssey cal to make those changes.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Can you post one with better resolution?

From what I can see, it looks very good already. If you are really the anal type, you can try using the App and Ratbuddyssey to do the following frequencies:

20 Hz: Boost 1.5 dB
23 Hz: Cut 3.5 dB
27 Hz: Cut 3.5 dB
80 Hz: Cut 1 dB
95 Hz: Boost 1 dB

This is very approx as I can' see the numbers very well due to the poor resolution and you seem to have apply 1/12 smoothing. For fine tuning with the App and Ratbuddyssey, it is better to use the unsmoothed curve.

It seems to me given what you have now, you can easily flatten the curve. I prefer it flat, but most people prefer a gradual boost towards 20 Hz and below, but in a smooth upward slope. So you are almost there, but doing what I suggested above should get you very close to the curve that Harman found most people prefer.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I’ll try to get a better pic but I’m about to try and get a nap, I’ve been up since 215 this morning and I have to work tonight so hopefully I can do it when I get up.
Although I do not know a lot about rew, using common sense it does look like I need to cut like bill and Peng suggested. This is where not knowing sucks, I use the app to make the changes? Do I need ratbudyssey also to make the changes? And I’ll post runs with no smoothing.
Right now how it is, it does shake the hell out of the house and where I’m sitting. Actually all the seats sound really good but the two closet to side wall and my middle seat sound just a little better. When the riser was built I cut holes in the front that are evenly spaced out so that entire thing is a bass trap. Idk if I really should have done that but I was reading stuff then and did it so I have to live with it now.
Hopefully I can get down there tonight but can’t guarantee I will be.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ll try to get a better pic but I’m about to try and get a nap, I’ve been up since 215 this morning and I have to work tonight so hopefully I can do it when I get up.
Although I do not know a lot about rew, using common sense it does look like I need to cut like bill and Peng suggested. This is where not knowing sucks, I use the app to make the changes? Do I need ratbudyssey also to make the changes? And I’ll post runs with no smoothing.
Right now how it is, it does shake the hell out of the house and where I’m sitting. Actually all the seats sound really good but the two closet to side wall and my middle seat sound just a little better. When the riser was built I cut holes in the front that are evenly spaced out so that entire thing is a bass trap. Idk if I really should have done that but I was reading stuff then and did it so I have to live with it now.
Hopefully I can get down there tonight but can’t guarantee I will be.
If you like how the bass sound now, there is no need to do anything, just enjoy the movies/music. The response you are getting now is excellent, how about you post one with Audyssey Off, then we can see if Audyssey reference did improve it for you, or you just have a good room.;)

I only mentioned using the Audyssey Editor App and Ratbuddyssey to create a smoother response in case you turn anal:D. If you do go anal, and want to try that, you should use Ratbuddyssey to enter the data because try to draw your custom target curve on you smart phone or tablet is tough, a very time consuming process.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis