Most Precise / Accurate / Tight Sub 2022 for Critical Listening. POLL

Which of the 3 for 2 ch. critical studio listening?

• Total voters
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I see the most votes has been for Rythmik.
It's actually tied with Arendal. If the money is no problem I'd go with the Arendal to be honest. But Im biased as I said with 2 Rythmik in the house. So my vote went to them. I'll reemphasize this in that ROOM SIZE you really can't go wrong with any of these options in duals. SVS has a very generous return policy why not try them out first and if they don't work then you narrowed your options and can go into the last 2 choices with a better idea of what you want if the SVS don't work?

A

auralux

Junior Audioholic
Went with a pair of the Arendal 1723 1S’s and they are INSANELY good! Thanks for everyone who steered me that direction.

62189182-50ED-49E0-A371-D19F65DA71B0.jpeg

592156ED-3292-4BCC-A358-8C175EBF6489.jpeg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I should have made HSU an option in the poll. Would you have picked Arendal over HSU still?
For your application yes. If you are a producer, a system can NEVER be too accurate. Embellishments cause error. I do have experience with HSU, and they are fine for the average listener. Would I use one, no. I could not make an accurate master with one of those. I use TLs for the base, of my design and build, and they give you the absolute truth in the lower octaves.

A

auralux

Junior Audioholic
For your application yes. If you are a producer, a system can NEVER be too accurate. Embellishments cause error. I do have experience with HSU, and they are fine for the average listener. Would I use one, no. I could not make an accurate master with one of those. I use TLs for the base, of my design and build, and they give you the absolute truth in the lower octaves.
Thank you. Forgive the noob ignorance, but what is TLs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any TL subs you can recommend?

A

auralux

Junior Audioholic
TL is Transmission Line design/construction for a box. TL(S) guy is a big fan and quite knowledgeable (and is diy), commercial products are rather rare.
Ah thanks! Arendal are TL? I feel like a dummy. Guess I need to study more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think they do employ some of the concepts, they vary in complexity from what I've read. Philharmonic Audio and Salk both offer speakers with the tech, tho, and even RSL has a version somewhat based on the concept. I think you can do fine with other designs, tho.

A

auralux

Junior Audioholic
I think they do employ some of the concepts, they vary in complexity from what I've read. Philharmonic Audio and Salk both offer speakers with the tech, tho, and even RSL has a version somewhat based on the concept. I think you can do fine with other designs, tho.
I know ATL is a big PMC thing. I didn’t think Arendal was TL at all. As far as I know it’s a simple sealed box unless you get the ported one, but I don’t think that is TL…?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know ATL is a big PMC thing. I didn’t think Arendal was TL at all. As far as I know it’s a simple sealed box unless you get the ported one, but I don’t think that is TL…?
TL is a more complicated box design, like a particularly complex port, simple sealed boxes are something completely different.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No, Arendal are sealed, with complex DSP. The advantage is a small box, but that makes them really inefficient and power hungry.

A TL is a modified Gedeckt organ pipe. It is a stopped pipe and closed at one end with the port at the other. Placement of the diver is critical so as not to excite the odd harmonics. The pipe is critically damped, but with output preserved, but the damping is aperiodic, which means it is critically damped and non resonant.
They are very efficient, do not take gobs of power, and the pressure towards to closed end is very high, so driver excursion is really well controlled. So you can get room shaking bass, but the drivers seem to be barely moving. I have designed dual TLs, which have fundamentals an octave apart. As far as I know, I am the only person other then the late John Wright of TDL to have designed dual TLs and he only designed one.

The design parameters were very hit and miss until George Augspurger published the correct mathematical model in the AES journal in 2000. He subsequently developed a software design program. George is one of the great audio engineers of the last 70 years or more. He is now well into his nineties. He gave me the privilege of keeping his design program available to designers. You can download it from my website. The only major TL manufacturer is PMC. However in my view their designs are not optimal. The problem with TLs, is that they are large, and the carpentry somewhat complex.

These are my front three active TLs, the right and left are dual lines. They are truly full range and no extra sub is required. The design is fully integrated for HT with my custom electronics.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Based on your list and your requirement for no DSP, Rythmik was the only one that fit that bill. None of their subs use DSP.

A

auralux

Junior Audioholic
Based on your list and your requirement for no DSP, Rythmik was the only one that fit that bill. None of their subs use DSP.
Which would you pick regardless of DSP?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis