Monster Cable Shifts Back Into Lawsuit Gear Against Monster Transmission

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
We don't even know that this is a real Monster employee.

I just hope Noel Lee posts another brilliant youtube video for me to laugh at. What a wanker.

Monster Ted

Audiophyte
We don't even know that this is a real Monster employee.

I just hope Noel Lee posts another brilliant youtube video for me to laugh at. What a wanker.
That's definitely an understandable concern but I assure you I do work at Monster and you can ask for me by name if you call the company should you wish to verify this.

I've been reviewing all of the comments here and to be clear this issue was filed before the Monster Mini Golf dispute and is something we have directed our outside attornies to resolve with Monster Transmission’s attorneys. I can't respond to every comment but will continue review your thoughts to pass along to our team.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Hello this is Ted from Monster. After reading the article I wanted to respond quickly to clarify on this issue.

Monster does not have an issue with Monster Transmission. We advised our outside attorneys several months ago to resolve the matter and they are in the process working that out with Monster Transmission’s attorneys. This case was filed last year, before the Monster Mini Golf Matter was settled. We have learned from our experience with the fallout from the Monster Mini Golf matter that we can be “legally” right in the protection of our trademark, but wrong in the eyes of our customers.

We now know we have to balance protecting trademark rights with the opinion of our customers. We will always consider and value the opinion of our customers.

Thank you.
Translation:

I'm a massive douchebag.

"Wrong in the eyes of our customers." and the law.

How about your company works on providing a good product instead of filling lawsuits that have zero weight behind them?

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
I am opening a lemonade stand starting this summer on my street corner.

It will be called Monster Homemade Lemonade
One glass: $1
No suger added.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
No no no.

1/4 glass should be 10 bucks
1/2 glass should be 30 bucks
and a full glass is 100 bucks.

It'll be more realistic.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That's definitely an understandable concern but I assure you I do work at Monster and you can ask for me by name if you call the company should you wish to verify this.

I've been reviewing all of the comments here and to be clear this issue was filed before the Monster Mini Golf dispute and is something we have directed our outside attornies to resolve with Monster Transmission’s attorneys. I can't respond to every comment but will continue review your thoughts to pass along to our team.
Monster Ted, I'd happily update the article that Monster dropped the lawsuit once it has officially been done. Just let me know. Thanks for visiting.

Monster Ted

Audiophyte
Monster Ted, I'd happily update the article that Monster dropped the lawsuit once it has officially been done. Just let me know. Thanks for visiting.
I appreciate that Gene and will let you know when I hear from our legal department that this has been resolved.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys let's keep the bashing down to a minimum and stick to the facts that we know. Right now I will take Ted for his word that this is an old lawsuit that slipped through the cracks and will get thrown out much like the Mini Golf one.

Monster should be well aware by now of Audioholics excellent search engine positioning and relevancy in this market and that pursuing non related companies regarding Trademark infringments on the word "Monster" will only lead them to Google where they will find our articles and follow similar suit which will start the entire process over again thus further damaging their already tarnished reputation.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
If you do decide to open the "Monster Lemonade Stand" your gonna have to place placards around the stand that tout how Monster lemonade enhances the flavor of real lemons, cleans the impurity of the water added and without a shred of proof or disproves the laws of physics, shows that the lemons used in Monster Lemonade have a 99.9% more tartiness to the lemon than that of actual lemons. Don't forget to place a pitcher of Monster Lemonade next a picther of "piss" (inaccurately labelled "lemonade" ) to show the consumer the astoinding taste difference between the two. Oh yeah and charge 1000X the cost of a normal lemonade stand.

And then sue anyone who uses the word Lemon, Lemonade, Stand, Sugar, Water and Pitcher. Granted 400 kids have already agreed to pay 10% of their commision to Monster Lemonade to be able to operate on the same block but what the heck, they have to protect their name from libel.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Guys let's keep the bashing down to a minimum and stick to the facts that we know. Right now I will take Ted for his word that this is an old lawsuit that slipped through the cracks and will get thrown out much like the Mini Golf one.

Monster should be well aware by now of Audioholics excellent search engine positioning and relevancy in this market and that pursuing non related companies regarding Trademark infringments on the word "Monster" will only lead them to Google where they will find our articles and follow similar suit which will start the entire process over again thus further damaging their already tarnished reputation.
Do I have to give him his green chicklet back too? :D

C

Cavediver

Audioholic
Why in the world would someone with half a brain actually buy monster cables? :confused:

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Sounds like Gene is going to slap a big ol' Monster Cable ad on the site soon.

Zing.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
In all honesty. I don't see how it makes since for Monster to be trademarked.

I suppose with Cables and audio stuff it's fine, but other stuff just seems out of bound for your companies goals.

I suggest you guys get back to the basics of making cables and stop this silliness. I have a monster cable running from my sub, but if this keeps up I'll be forced to ditch it. I've already ditched the monster speaker wire I had because of this crap. I use to be able to go to the store and not feel bad about buying your cable. But now I can't. I go get the cheap stuff because I can't support this.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Sounds like Gene is going to slap a big ol' Monster Cable ad on the site soon.

Zing.
Um NO but in interest of reporting the facts and keeping the flames down, I ask people post with civility. If this infuriates you, let Monster know but keep your responses level headed.

A

Alittlemonster

A monster by all means

Have been following this irritating development with Monster Cable for some time and have always kept and open mind about -- two sides to every story and all that nonsense. However, in this case...Monster Cable and monster Ted are so much out in left field that it boggles the mind. Get a load of this gobbledy gook from Ted:

"Monster does not have an issue with Monster Transmission. We advised our outside attorneys several months ago to resolve the matter and they are in the process working that out with Monster Transmission’s attorneys. This case was filed last year, before the Monster Mini Golf Matter was settled. We have learned from our experience with the fallout from the Monster Mini Golf matter that we can be “legally” right in the protection of our trademark, but wrong in the eyes of our customers.

We now know we have to balance protecting trademark rights with the opinion of our customers. We will always consider and value the opinion of our customers."

This just isn't true. If Monster didn't have an issue with Monster Transmission, their lawyers would never have started this problem in the first place, and it would never have hit the pages of Audioholics.

Frankly, I don't like posting on forums, but am willing to make an exception in this case. Here's the deal. I say we all boycott Monster Cable and start spreading the word--hit them in their pocketbooks, and hit them hard. We can start with Klipsch--they use Monster Cable in their Reference series of speakers (I know...just took one of mine apart to check it out, and right there on the cables "Monster"). Yup, they won't last long. Write Klipsch and let them know about Monster Cable--there are plenty of alternatives.

Look monster Ted, and by the way, my handle on this forum is "Alittlemonster", gee...hope you don't take this personally. Oh, what the heck, take it personnally. It's a common word in the English dictionary. Oh gawd, what did I start...maybe next you will sue Merriam and Webster? I won't buy any more Monster products until you guys stop this stupid, tedius, time wasting crap. That is the way it is going to be, take it or leave it.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Um NO but in interest of reporting the facts and keeping the flames down, I ask people post with civility. If this infuriates you, let Monster know but keep your responses level headed.
OK Gene, Damn and right when I was going to start bashin......:D

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Let's look at real examples of IP issues that have occured:

1. Tylenol. The usage of the word went from identification of a brand to identification of a medicine type. The company was in danger of losing its identity, and created public campaigns to dissuade people from referring to any product that treats allergies, colds, coughs, and flus as Tylenol. They never attempted to trademark the words acetaminophen, also known as paracetamol, because it's a common compound found in other medicinal applications.

2. Xerox. They were forced to defend their brand when time pretty much turned the action of photocopying a document into the verb xerox. The word even appears in the Oxford English dictionary! They have, for decades, had a campaign to stop the use of their trademarked brand name as a verb, but have had a difficult time accomplishing the desired end goal. This is a classic example of losing brand identity; when a uniquely-named brand becomes so commonplace that it no longer refers to the brand but rather the action of the brand's product. The problem is, once it refers to the action and not the company, any other company with a competing product is performing the SAME EXACT action.

Monster Cable is different from both of these examples for the following obvious reasons:

1. People have formed a brand loyalty over the years. More people specifically refer to their preferred brand of medication rather than an overarching descriptive word. People who say "Do you have an Advil?" today typically want exactly that, in contrast to 20 years ago when "Do you have a Tylenol?" meant "Do you have any medicine I can take for my headache?" Tylenol differentiating itself, through marketing and brand education, have retained the uniqueness of their brand without resorting to suing other medicine companies. This argument goes towards brand identity for a UNIQUE AND IDENTIFIABLE intellectual property, which Monster Cable, when trying to argue the brand uniqueness of Monster, is not.

2. No one refers to interconnecting cables as Monsters. When was the last time you heard anyone say "Hey Bob, can you had me those Monsters over there?" while referring to a set of interconnects from Belkin or Impact Acoustics? However, I'm sure it's been said "Hey Bob, hand me that HDMI cable." In comparison, plenty of people have said "Can you xerox this document for me?" when they really meant "Can you copy this document for me?" This clearly defeats the argument about losing brand identity to competing brands in Monster Cable's case. Monster Cable did not trademark the word Cable because THEY CAN'T. Why should they be allowed to trademark the word Monster when it is also a commonly used word meant to express:

–noun 1. a legendary animal combining features of animal and human form or having the forms of various animals in combination, as a centaur, griffin, or sphinx.
2. any creature so ugly or monstrous as to frighten people.
3. any animal or human grotesquely deviating from the normal shape, behavior, or character.
4. a person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc.
5. any animal or thing huge in size.
6. Biology. a. an animal or plant of abnormal form or structure, as from marked malformation or the absence of certain parts or organs.
b. a grossly anomalous fetus or infant, esp. one that is not viable.

7. anything unnatural or monstrous.

–adjective 8. huge; enormous; monstrous: a monster tree.

Origin:
1250–1300; ME monstre < L mōnstrum portent, unnatural event, monster, equiv. to mon(ēre) to warn + -strum n. suffix

Related forms:

monster-like, adjective

Synonyms:
4. fiend, brute, demon, devil, miscreant.

I'll end this rant with a few key facts. A quick search on Google, not to be mistaken with the brand-identity-killing verbs "google", "googling", and "googled", for monster returned a page full of Monster.com affiliates, a Monsters Vs. Aliens video, Monster Energy brand of drinks, and one link to Monster Cable. If the common word monster was so closely related to the brand Monster Cable, why don't we get pages full of results linking to Monster Cable products and reviews?

If someone creates a business called Monster Anything, and they are in the business of selling cables, THEN I could see where Noel Lee's company stands and I would agree with it. In keeping with Monster Cable's spirit, I have a suggestion to teach them a lesson.

Let's fund Jim Henson so he can sue Monster Cable for the use of Monster. See, Cookie Monster was created in 1967, and first appeared on Sesame Street in 1969. Monster Cable Products Inc., owner of Monster Cable, was founded in 1979, 10 years after Henson's lovable blue beast appeared on TV. Jim Henson, by Monster Cable logic, has EVERY RIGHT to sue Noel Lee!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Let's look at real examples of IP issues that have occured:

1. Tylenol. The usage of the word went from identification of a brand to identification of a medicine type. The company was in danger of losing its identity, and created public campaigns to dissuade people from referring to any product that treats allergies, colds, coughs, and flus as Tylenol. They never attempted to trademark the words acetaminophen, also known as paracetamol, because it's a common compound found in other medicinal applications.

2. Xerox. They were forced to defend their brand when time pretty much turned the action of photocopying a document into the verb xerox. The word even appears in the Oxford English dictionary! They have, for decades, had a campaign to stop the use of their trademarked brand name as a verb, but have had a difficult time accomplishing the desired end goal. This is a classic example of losing brand identity; when a uniquely-named brand becomes so commonplace that it no longer refers to the brand but rather the action of the brand's product. The problem is, once it refers to the action and not the company, any other company with a competing product is performing the SAME EXACT action.

Monster Cable is different from both of these examples for the following obvious reasons:

1. People have formed a brand loyalty over the years. More people specifically refer to their preferred brand of medication rather than an overarching descriptive word. People who say "Do you have an Advil?" today typically want exactly that, in contrast to 20 years ago when "Do you have a Tylenol?" meant "Do you have any medicine I can take for my headache?" Tylenol differentiating itself, through marketing and brand education, have retained the uniqueness of their brand without resorting to suing other medicine companies. This argument goes towards brand identity for a UNIQUE AND IDENTIFIABLE intellectual property, which Monster Cable, when trying to argue the brand uniqueness of Monster, is not.

2. No one refers to interconnecting cables as Monsters. When was the last time you heard anyone say "Hey Bob, can you had me those Monsters over there?" while referring to a set of interconnects from Belkin or Impact Acoustics? However, I'm sure it's been said "Hey Bob, hand me that HDMI cable." In comparison, plenty of people have said "Can you xerox this document for me?" when they really meant "Can you copy this document for me?" This clearly defeats the argument about losing brand identity to competing brands in Monster Cable's case. Monster Cable did not trademark the word Cable because THEY CAN'T. Why should they be allowed to trademark the word Monster when it is also a commonly used word meant to express:

–noun 1. a legendary animal combining features of animal and human form or having the forms of various animals in combination, as a centaur, griffin, or sphinx.
2. any creature so ugly or monstrous as to frighten people.
3. any animal or human grotesquely deviating from the normal shape, behavior, or character.
4. a person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc.
5. any animal or thing huge in size.
6. Biology. a. an animal or plant of abnormal form or structure, as from marked malformation or the absence of certain parts or organs.
b. a grossly anomalous fetus or infant, esp. one that is not viable.

7. anything unnatural or monstrous.

–adjective 8. huge; enormous; monstrous: a monster tree.

Origin:
1250–1300; ME monstre < L mōnstrum portent, unnatural event, monster, equiv. to mon(ēre) to warn + -strum n. suffix

Related forms:

monster-like, adjective

Synonyms:
4. fiend, brute, demon, devil, miscreant.

I'll end this rant with a few key facts. A quick search on Google, not to be mistaken with the brand-identity-killing verbs "google", "googling", and "googled", for monster returned a page full of Monster.com affiliates, a Monsters Vs. Aliens video, Monster Energy brand of drinks, and one link to Monster Cable. If the common word monster was so closely related to the brand Monster Cable, why don't we get pages full of results linking to Monster Cable products and reviews?

If someone creates a business called Monster Anything, and they are in the business of selling cables, THEN I could see where Noel Lee's company stands and I would agree with it. In keeping with Monster Cable's spirit, I have a suggestion to teach them a lesson.

Let's fund Jim Henson so he can sue Monster Cable for the use of Monster. See, Cookie Monster was created in 1967, and first appeared on Sesame Street in 1969. Monster Cable Products Inc., owner of Monster Cable, was founded in 1979, 10 years after Henson's lovable blue beast appeared on TV. Jim Henson, by Monster Cable logic, has EVERY RIGHT to sue Noel Lee!
Well written! Stop being greedy. That's basically your companies business to fleece America and take money. I understand you help retailer make a profit by allowing them to jack up the price of your cables. Which I don't take issue with. I mean if your selling a tv near cost then you gotta make cash somewhere.

But using your trademarks to get rich is just wrong. I know this tactic and I consider it lazy and unethical. While it may be technically legal it violates the spirit of the law. I suggest you stop all these silly suits fire your attorney's and get back to making cable.

Their are 2 types of folks. There is Roger Clemens who still claims he did nothing wrong and is now looking at jail time, and a super tarnished legacy. Then there is A-Rod. We don't talk about him anymore because he came clean was honest and vowed to change his ways.

I suggest you come clean and change your ways. Everyone makes mistakes and sometimes companies lose sight of their vision. Monster has a great brand of widely respected cables in the common marketplace don't be stupid by getting bad publicity. Bush pursued wars recklessly and went from the most popular president to the least.

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
I think I just found a new vocation for myself. I'm going to start a company named "Tragic Records". Then I just enter the word "Tragic" into google, take note of anything that comes up and then file lawsuits. I will make millions.

Mike

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think I just found a new vocation for myself. I'm going to start a company named "Tragic Records". Then I just enter the word "Tragic" into google, take note of anything that comes up and then file lawsuits. I will make millions.

Mike
I already own Tragic Inc, I will sue you first! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis