Monoprice Monolith Encore T6 Tower Loudspeaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
900x450.jpg
At the end of our review for Monoprice’s Monolith HTP-1 processor, we mentioned that Monoprice’s Monolith line has all of the necessary ingredients to build a complete home theater system except for the projector/TV (they do have some well-regarded PC monitors though). It would be a great system and a bargain for what the user is getting, but it still would not have been inexpensive. With inflation taking a big chunk out of most people’s discretionary income, dropping $1,700 on a pair of tower speakers or $1,000 on a pair of stand-mount speakers becomes increasingly too much scratch for many folks. Perhaps, as a response to this, Monoprice has added a more affordable line of speakers in their new Encore series. The Encore speakers are priced to be within reach of a lot more people than Monolith’s THX speakers. In for review today, we have the Encore tower speakers, the T6s, which, at $400 each, costs less than half of Monolith’s THX tower speakers’ pricing. Read on to see our thoughts on the Encore T6 speakers...

READ: Monoprice Monolith Encore T6 Floor-Standing Speaker Review

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
What a load of junk. Lets break down the costing, 1700 a pair, That's 850 each. Take out the profit margin say half the retail. So you have a nice Chinese made speaker for $425 maximum. I've only guessed the profit at 50% chances are it's more like 75% If you add the maker, distributor, retailers profits.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What a load of junk. Lets break down the costing, 1700 a pair, That's 850 each. Take out the profit margin say half the retail. So you have a nice Chinese made speaker for $425 maximum. I've only guessed the profit at 50% chances are it's more like 75% If you add the maker, distributor, retailers profits.
Why are they junk? You are being pretty harsh and a lot exclusionary. If it is because of the price, well then they aren’t for you. If it’s because you assume they are made in China, same.
Hell, even Sonus Faber uses cabinets from China, as well as other companies too, and in cabinets you might well be buying $3000 pairs for, and higher.

We see a lot of folk come through AH that can’t afford the now 3K it takes to get most “really good” towers. These come with a few little glitches here and there, but we’ve seen a lot worse in the budget category.
In all, this looks like a solid offering at a ticket accessible to many more people. I could see these being a quite reasonable “first pair” for a newcomer to the field, or an upgrade from a cr@ppy HTIB setup.

Don’t worry, Mono… these aren’t for me, either. ;)

But not because of price or possible origin.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
At the end of our review for Monoprice’s Monolith HTP-1 processor, we mentioned that Monoprice’s Monolith line has all of the necessary ingredients to build a complete home theater system except for the projector/TV (they do have some well-regarded PC monitors though). It would be a great system and a bargain for what the user is getting, but it still would not have been inexpensive. With inflation taking a big chunk out of most people’s discretionary income, dropping $1,700 on a pair of tower speakers or $1,000 on a pair of stand-mount speakers becomes increasingly too much scratch for many folks. Perhaps, as a response to this, Monoprice has added a more affordable line of speakers in their new Encore series. The Encore speakers are priced to be within reach of a lot more people than Monolith’s THX speakers. In for review today, we have the Encore tower speakers, the T6s, which, at $400 each, costs less than half of Monolith’s THX tower speakers’ pricing. Read on to see our thoughts on the Encore T6 speakers...

As always, Shady, thank you for your write up! An intriguing offering for some, I’m certain.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Actually the write up was sadly lacking in the detail. Firstly what are these speakers rated at 4 ohm, 8 ohm, etc ,etc What do they weigh, What is the cabinet material, Do the speakers have a brand name or are they simply two dollar knock-off' Any details of the crossovers would be nice , or is simply a CAP in the tweeter line. I see these are duel speaker connections, which are totally pointless, but a good selling feature

Really at the end of the day, it amounts to "Do it once and do it right" We know there a budget line, But you can do a lot better in the used market with a 3 grand budget. Just look at your Canadian Audio Mart for proof of that.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Actually the write up was sadly lacking in the detail. Firstly what are these speakers rated at 4 ohm, 8 ohm, etc ,etc What do they weigh, What is the cabinet material, Do the speakers have a brand name or are they simply two dollar knock-off' Any details of the crossovers would be nice , or is simply a CAP in the tweeter line. I see these are duel speaker connections, which are totally pointless, but a good selling feature

Really at the end of the day, it amounts to "Do it once and do it right" We know there a budget line, But you can do a lot better in the used market with a 3 grand budget. Just look at your Canadian Audio Mart for proof of that.
All of the details that you think are lacking, crossover details, impedance, cabinet material, etc is in the specifications section as well as in the write-up. Did you bother to read the review that you are critisizing? Also, not that many people can throw away 3k on loudspeakers, but you seem to feel that no one should own speakers unless they are prepared to spend a small fortune on them.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
not that many people can throw away 3k on loudspeakers
Did you bother to read what I wrote , Just for you I'll repeat myself.

We know there a budget line, But you can do a lot better in the used market with a 3 grand budget.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Bad batch of meth or did somebody pee in your Milos? :p
Dude, some aspects of your comments are so off kilter as to be laughable.

I do happen to agree that it pays to step up your budget if possible… but not everybody can. That AH gives equal time to a Speaker like this and to Perlisten is important and relevant.
If you can’t, or won’t see the benefit, that’s fine too. Short-sighted, but fine.
As to being an insulting bore with no small amount of bias… well, you do you, boo. You won’t be the first, nor the last, unfortunately.
*shrugs

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

This was an excellent review Shady. I've been super curious about these speakers as a good budget system for a bedroom. Thank you for the write up!

For anyone coming here that's on a budget this looks perfect as an option to get them into good sound.

Second it's amazing thanks to technology what companies can now do even on a budget for there more entry level line of speakers. For the price this performance is outstanding

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Did you bother to read what I wrote , Just for you I'll repeat myself.

We know they're a budget line, But you can do a lot better in the used market with a 3 grand budget.
Umm, THEY'RE $800 a pair. Where are you coming up with $3K?

K

kini

Full Audioholic

Exactly who or what are these speaker connections "dueling"? Perhaps you mean "dual"?

If you're going to criticize at least use proper grammar so you don't come off as some grade school attendee. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Umm, THEY'RE $800 a pair. Where are you coming up with $3K?
Yeah I was gonna ask about that as well, but since he didn't see the name of the speaker in the thread title, didn't see the specs and didn't see any of the description in the write-up I guess it's not a surprise that he didn't see the price too...

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
They do seem like a 'bargain' at their respective price point. I will admit I can't stand vinyl wrapped semi-gloss wood grain finish, it would be nice if a piano gloss black finish were available for a modest up charge

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis