Monoprice Monolith Encore T6 Tower Loudspeaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for the really interesting review! My interest is definitely piqued.

Would these be suitable as the rear surrounds, or sides in a surround setup? (I already have some pretty decent speakers for front L & R.)

Would the Bookshelf Encore B6s be more appropriate? (obviously they are from a size standpoint!)
If your listening position doesn't put your ears at too low of an angle with respect to the tweeter, yes, you could use these as surround speakers very nicely. What is cool about that is you would have full-range surrounds. The B6 bookshelf speakers would only be more appropriate if the T6 tweeter was too high up for that application.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Just went through the entire video on YouTube. Wooow!!! So much speaker for the money!!!!. These are going on my short list of speakers to try! Thanks for this review and great job @shadyJ man Monoprice is just wrecking it with killer gear at accessible prices!!!

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I'm a sucker for "cheap" but good speakers. Especially towers that can get by without a sub for most uses. I actually like the look of these, they're utilitarian, simple.

Thanks for the review and measurements, looks great for its price point!

Very best,

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
All of the details that you think are lacking, crossover details, impedance, cabinet material, etc is in the specifications section as well as in the write-up. Did you bother to read the review that you are critisizing? Also, not that many people can throw away 3k on loudspeakers, but you seem to feel that no one should own speakers unless they are prepared to spend a small fortune on them.
Yes, most people don’t have 3K to throw away on speakers.

Median US household income is about 68K a year.

Figure in food, clothing, shelter, insurance, medical care, transportation, communication expenses, saving for retirement, taxes and what not there isn’t money in the overwhelming number of people’s budget for 3K speakers and equally expensive amplifier.

I applaud companies bringing high quality, high performance products that are a great value and all the reviewers that highlight them.

Last edited:
B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
ShadyJ:
For people looking to use these as part of a surround sound system what about the Encore Center? Or would you recommend something else? Thanks

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm a sucker for "cheap" but good speakers. Especially towers that can get by without a sub for most uses. I actually like the look of these, they're utilitarian, simple.

Thanks for the review and measurements, looks great for its price point!

Very best,
Me too. That's why I haven't thought of upgrading my office towers. The Andrew Jones towers from Pioneer have done me well for over a decade at this point. Or close to it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
ShadyJ:
For people looking to use these as part of a surround sound system what about the Encore Center? Or would you recommend something else? Thanks
In his youtube video on the audioholics channel with Gene he recommended using the center from the flagship line the thx center he said it would be a good match

341891.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
ShadyJ:
The Encore center is a bit hamstrung by being an MTM, but if you only have a single listening position to worry about, that can be sufficient. I would go for the Monolith THX center, personally.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The Encore center is a bit hamstrung by being an MTM, but if you only have a single listening position to worry about, that can be sufficient. I would go for the Monolith THX center, personally.
Damn you Shady why do you have to do such a great job with reviews why?

These towers went on sale for $350. $350!!!!.

So I bought 3 for my new bedroom setup :D

It's all your fault ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If I pair these with a sub do you have recommendations for where they can be crossed over at? With there bass capabilities can a 60 hz crossover be worth it?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If I pair these with a sub do you have recommendations for where they can be crossed over at? With there bass capabilities can a 60 hz crossover be worth it?
First of all, you may not need a sub at all. I would try a system like this without a sub first. If you are still craving more bass, I would experiment with different crossover frequencies like 40, 60 80. Of course, go with whatever sounds best to your ears.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
First of all, you may not need a sub at all. I would try a system like this without a sub first. If you are still craving more bass, I would experiment with different crossover frequencies like 40, 60 80. Of course, go with whatever sounds best to your ears.
Okay I'm going to try it 3 towers no sub run full range. I want to experiment with how good they can sound. Like you say if I want more bass I can always buy a new sub later

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This will save me money on a reciever I went ahead and bought an amp since I'm going to run them full range like that figured I could use the juice! I'm excited I'll start up a thread when they get here!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Shady… that’s cute. This is The Zilla we are talking about, and you suggest he may not need a Sub?
;)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
psst. I think he is gone now... lol He is probably busy shopping for SR cables

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Huh.
You got a fever, bro?
:p
Well Shady is really impressed with this speakers ability to go full range in a realistic sized room like my bedroom. I mean in the YouTube interview with Gene he really talked about this towers ability to go low in the right sized room. So with a 3.1 system with 3 of these towers in a 14 by 15 bedroom I'd like to see with room gain what we can pull off.

I'm volunteering as a test subject I guess you could say. It's not like I can't run down to Bjorns and pick up a sub if I need it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well Shady is really impressed with this speakers ability to go full range in a realistic sized room like my bedroom. I mean in the YouTube interview with Gene he really talked about this towers ability to go low in the right sized room. So with a 3.1 system with 3 of these towers in a 14 by 15 bedroom I'd like to see with room gain what we can pull off.

I'm volunteering as a test subject I guess you could say. It's not like I can't run down to Bjorns and pick up a sub if I need it
While the right speakers and playback material can well work....haven't seen that shadyj full range thing in a bedroom, gotta link?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis