Monoprice Monolith Encore T6 Tower Loudspeaker Review

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They do seem like a 'bargain' at their respective price point. I will admit I can't stand vinyl wrapped semi-gloss wood grain finish, it would be nice if a piano gloss black finish were available for a modest up charge
I agree gloss would be very nice, but I'd rather have performance over finish and they gotta cut the cost somewhere. Finish is an obvious one. At $800/pr the target consumer prolly isn't going to fuss too much over finish.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree gloss would be very nice, but I'd rather have performance over finish and they gotta cut the cost somewhere. Finish is an obvious one. At $800/pr the target consumer prolly isn't going to fuss too much over finish.
You don't eat caviar on a catfish budget, yo! ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You don't eat caviar on a catfish budget, yo! ;)
Hey! I like catfish!

I forget the name of the restaurant but they had a blackened catfish dinner that was soooo good! Came with corn, rice, beans and was sprinkled with little thin crispy corn tortilla strips and drizzled with a couple of different sauces. It was one of my favorite meals. I think the restaurant is long gone now tho...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey! I like catfish!

I forget the name of the restaurant but they had a blackened catfish dinner that was soooo good! Came with corn, rice, beans and was sprinkled with little thin crispy corn tortilla strips and drizzled with a couple of different sauces. It was one of my favorite meals. I think the restaurant is long gone now tho...
Easy, Tiger. I love me some Catfish! ;) Bread it in cornmeal and fry that sh!t up! Toss it on a Po'Boy or whatever. Frank's or Crystal is good, too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Easy, Tiger. I love me some Catfish! ;) Bread it in cornmeal and fry that sh!t up! Toss it on a Po'Boy or whatever. Frank's or Crystal is good, too.
Oh it's good like that too!

I just wanted to describe that dish figuring you would appreciate the description, tho I probably didn't do it justice. The tortilla strips and drizzle really helped make the dish for me. Added flavor and texture. Plus I love almost any fish when it's blackened.

Some people straight up think catfish is garbage! I'm like, haw?! You just never had it prepared right!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Another great review Shady J! Test results are actually pretty good for a tower speaker at this price range. They have good looks, anesthetically good looking speaker. Comes in at close to 50 lb each. Duel use in a HT setup for one not looking to bust the bank these should be on one's list.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Another great review Shady J! Test results are actually pretty good for a tower speaker at this price range. They have good looks, anesthetically good looking speaker. Comes in at close to 50 lb each. Duel use in a HT setup for one not looking to bust the bank these should be on one's list.
Especially when dipped in Cornmeal and fried up with some Crystal hot sauce!

:eek:

Oh... *blushes
We're back to Speakers.

Ya! What he said. ^

;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Especially when dipped in Cornmeal and fried up with some Crystal hot sauce!

:eek:

Oh... *blushes
We're back to Speakers.

Ya! What he said. ^

;)
Lol, Ryan, I read the whole review, which I do any of James reviews. At $800 a pair with what those Monolift towers have in them, with the 2.5 XO, 49 + lbs each. Pair those up with one or two 12" subs for HT use and or music use add in matching center and some surround speakers one would have a nice setup with a smile on their face.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
They do seem like a 'bargain' at their respective price point. I will admit I can't stand vinyl wrapped semi-gloss wood grain finish, it would be nice if a piano gloss black finish were available for a modest up charge
An actual piano gloss finish wouldn't be possible for a modest upcharge on speakers that are $800/pair. I would guess that would be at least a $200 upcharge per speaker, and more, of course, if you wanted a really well-done gloss.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Did you bother to read what I wrote , Just for you I'll repeat myself.

We know there a budget line, But you can do a lot better in the used market with a 3 grand budget.
Sounds like a banning is in order for this troll.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
What a load of junk. Lets break down the costing, 1700 a pair, That's 850 each. Take out the profit margin say half the retail. So you have a nice Chinese made speaker for $425 maximum. I've only guessed the profit at 50% chances are it's more like 75% If you add the maker, distributor, retailers profits.
Those speakers are selling for only $800 a pair, not $1700 as you say.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
An actual piano gloss finish wouldn't be possible for a modest upcharge on speakers that are $800/pair. I would guess that would be at least a $200 upcharge per speaker, and more, of course, if you wanted a really well-done gloss.
i don't know, given what I've seen in other Chinese sourced speakers I'd bet on no more than $200 a pair ?

T

Turkeybaster

Enthusiast
Sounds like a banning is in order for this troll.
For the love of God please. He's either a purposeful troll...... or just the worst kind of toxic person. Either way....... Bye Felicia! :rolleyes:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Actually the write up was sadly lacking in the detail. Firstly what are these speakers rated at 4 ohm, 8 ohm, etc ,etc What do they weigh, What is the cabinet material, Do the speakers have a brand name or are they simply two dollar knock-off' Any details of the crossovers would be nice , or is simply a CAP in the tweeter line. I see these are duel speaker connections, which are totally pointless, but a good selling feature

Really at the end of the day, it amounts to "Do it once and do it right" We know there a budget line, But you can do a lot better in the used market with a 3 grand budget. Just look at your Canadian Audio Mart for proof of that.
It seems to me you failed the remedial reading class. It clearly states that the speakers are rated at four ohms. Not only that James measured the impedance curve and phase angles.

You can see the speaker is four ohms in the power band.

In addition the speaker is a 2.5 way. If you knew what that was you could not do that with "just a cap in the tweeter line".

There is a lot of detail in the review. The above curves show there is a box/panel resonance at 280 Hz, which is not surprising for a speaker in this price range.

Your comments are erroneous and without foundation. There is more than enough detail in the review to refute your allegations. This speaker is clearly punching above its price range. There are a lot worse speakers than that costing thousands more.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Mini-Bloc is obviously compensating for a piece of equipment he is sadly lacking.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Shady. Nicely written up despite the lacking details. ;) (directed at Mini-Bloc) I'm not sure if the 2.5 system crossover is a commonly used practise in the industry. Paul Barton of PSB has been using this design approach on all of his tower designs for the last 20+ years except for his big Stratus series speakers. My impression from reading your review is that they are a very competant speaker doing nothing wrong and that the things that could be improved upon could easily be fixed if they were targetted at a higher price point.

Last edited:
K

KollyKibber

Enthusiast
Thanks for the really interesting review! My interest is definitely piqued.

Would these be suitable as the rear surrounds, or sides in a surround setup? (I already have some pretty decent speakers for front L & R.)

Would the Bookshelf Encore B6s be more appropriate? (obviously they are from a size standpoint!)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis