Monolith 7x200 amp vs ... competition? (Looking for experienced amp advice)

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
Emotiva claims they will service their products that are out of warranty. They do charge shipping and repair fees though.

However... Something I'm not too keen on is that they will not service a few of their discontinued products, notably the XPR Amps, unless they still have remaining parts in inventory. If they can, they will. This is due to not having parts to fully rebuild the unit.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Emotiva claims they will service their products that are out of warranty. They do charge shipping and repair fees though.

However... Something I'm not too keen on is that they will not service a few of their discontinued products, notably the XPR Amps, unless they still have remaining parts in inventory. If they can, they will. This is due to not having parts to fully rebuild the unit.
That's the issue. Hopefully you won't have to find out. No company that makes amps should have this problem.

CARTMAN

CARTMAN

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys I have been following this one for a bit....... I have been looking at the Monolith from when Gene did the review on the 5 and 7 channels. I was torn because prior to his review I had been trying to justify a Mcintosh 207 7 x 200 I have access to for $4500 . That my friends is a big pill to swallow for me..... then wala Gene did the review on the Monolits 7 x 200 at $1600 plus $120 for shipping. I thought my mind was made up ...... I just went to the Monoprice website started to order then I dicided to call tech support and I asked why are they so cheep because I belived that they were built in California and relabled from ATI. The tech advised that they were America components ...... However they are built in Monoprce warehouse located in china..... Now I am not so sure I want to purchase it. Still comes with a 5 year warranty . Feed back please.......

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Hey guys I have been following this one for a bit....... I have been looking at the Monolith from when Gene did the review on the 5 and 7 channels. I was torn because prior to his review I had been trying to justify a Mcintosh 207 7 x 200 I have access to for $4500 . That my friends is a big pill to swallow for me..... then wala Gene did the review on the Monolits 7 x 200 at $1600 plus $120 for shipping. I thought my mind was made up ...... I just went to the Monoprice website started to order then I dicided to call tech support and I asked why are they so cheep because I belived that they were built in California and relabled from ATI. The tech that they were America components ...... However they are built in Monoprce warehouse located in china..... Now I am not so sure I want to purchase it. Still comes with a 5 year warranty . Feed back please.......
But the rear panel of the MonoPrice Monolith amplifiers has the following printed disclosure... o_O

Designed and Engineered in the USA
Assembled in the USA from Internationally sourced materials

145662.jpg

Just my $0.02... ;)

CARTMAN

CARTMAN

Audioholic Intern
Ok so I thought that they were designed and built in California. The Tech support people are saying that they are built in China. Just trying to get my ducks in a row ......... If it is built in good old USA I will pull the trigger now. So what is it ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That would all depend on the extent of the component modules built in China and what is particularly assembled in the USA....

CARTMAN

CARTMAN

Audioholic Intern
Hey lovinthehd.....
Just trying to get the bang for the buck vs $4000 for the 207 Mcintosh.... I want the Mc but can I do the same with something less?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey lovinthehd.....
Just trying to get the bang for the buck vs $4000 for the 207 Mcintosh.... I want the Mc but can I do the same with something less?
I don't see anything wrong about getting the Monolith...Mcintosh is overpriced and overhyped. Look at Outlaw and ATI themselves as options perhaps.

CARTMAN

CARTMAN

Audioholic Intern
I did check the reviews the guys did on the outlaws and it appeared that the Monoliths were better. I havent looked at ATI as of yet........

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Curious, how do you know the Emotiva runs much cooler than the Monolith? You have thermometer measurements or something? I'm pretty sure @Pogre has mentioned his Monolith 7 runs pretty cool. FYI Emotiva has refused to service an amp for the owner of this site and he has had reliability issues to the point where he no longer will be reviewing Emotiva products.
Agree with lovin on this, I replied on another thread about my opinions (regarding emotiva amps) and from the people I know. Yet was told that was total nonsense and what great products they produce and what a great company emotive is. Anyways, Sorry to hear the owner of this site had to go through this experience and hopefully the op will get lucky with his purchase.

CARTMAN

CARTMAN

Audioholic Intern
I have two friends who are having problems with their Emotiva so I wasn't going to step in that stuff.

So I have to read and listen a bit more before I pull the trigger on the Monolith. I could have sworn that Gene said he went back and forth with Monoprice and that they eventually told him that they were built in California. That is why I took a bee line at them. Help Guys.....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I did check the reviews the guys did on the outlaws and it appeared that the Monoliths were better. I havent looked at ATI as of yet........
The Monolith is pretty much a relabeled ATI. I have nothing but good to say about mine. Lots of clean power on tap, no noise, runs cool, good amp.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I don't see anything wrong about getting the Monolith...Mcintosh is overpriced and overhyped. Look at Outlaw and ATI themselves as options perhaps.
I've owned a few of their products and can attest that they don't make any improvement to the sound over other well made amps. They do look gorgeous.
My only issue was replacing the glass face plates.

CARTMAN

CARTMAN

Audioholic Intern
That is what Gene said in his review.... He said he pounded them with his set up and it was only warm to the touch.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have two friends who are having problems with their Emotiva so I wasn't going to step in that stuff.

So I have to read and listen a bit more before I pull the trigger on the Monolith. I could have sworn that Gene said he went back and forth with Monoprice and that they eventually told him that they were built in California. That is why I took a bee line at them. Help Guys.....
What is the sticking point?

CARTMAN

CARTMAN

Audioholic Intern
I've owned a few of their products and can attest that they don't make any improvement to the sound over other well made amps. They do look gorgeous.
My only issue was replacing the glass face plates.
You are refering to the Mcintosh correct..... The apeal was $4000 for a $9000 amp...... What am I thinking ????

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The management team @ ATI is top notch...
The owner and chief engineer has been designing/building quality component power amplifiers for >50 years. In order to meet MonoPrice's aggressive price demands certain key components are outsourced off-shore such as the toroidal power transformers, heat sinks and other metal alloy parts from Sri Lanka, China, Taiwan.. However full unit assembly is done in Montebello, California near Los Angeles.

Just my $0.02... ;)

CARTMAN

CARTMAN

Audioholic Intern
You guys are great
You are right. I am going to look at ATI first then decide on pulling the trigger in the am.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis