Monoblock amplifiers

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
If I get 2 monoblock amplifiers, how do I Bridge them or make them stereo sound?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would you bridge them? For stereo, just plug the left signal into one amp, the right signal into the other. No real benefit to monoblock amps generally, tho....why monoblocks?

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Mono blocks are single channel, as the name implies. Use as LOV has explained

I'm a great believer in a monoblock system, and have three such systems. For me it produces a much cleaner, unlaboured sound.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I am curious as to why mono blocks as well if for no other reason than the question you asked shows you know little about them ?

For the record I employ a pair of mono blocks in my kit.

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
I am curious as to why mono blocks as well if for no other reason than the question you asked shows you know little about them ?

For the record I employ a pair of mono blocks in my kit.
Well thanks I'm on these forms so I can understand more about them. so that's not necessary

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
Mono blocks are single channel, as the name implies. Use as LOV has explained

I'm a great believer in a monoblock system, and have three such systems. For me it produces a much cleaner, unlaboured sound.
Thank you I've also heard that. my speakers are biampable so would I need 4 monoblocks or two dual monoblocks to biamp them just curious? I know it might seem like Overkill but tbh I have to pursue the most out of this Hobby due to my limited health future.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But not all amps and monoblocks are created equal. ;)

Just like not all "separates" are created equal. :D

What's your monoblock amps?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
We also need to know what speaker make and model you have or are considering. I have nothing against monoblock amps but bi-amping in most situations is a waste of money. The bulk of the power goes to the woofer or mid-woofer, so adding a separate amp for the tweeter, which uses very little relative power, usually has little benefit. Most speaker manufacturers add a second set of binding posts (speaker terminals) just as a selling point for marketing purposes. Few speakers really benefit from bi-amping. You would gain more by putting the money into two really good monoblock amps or a stereo amp and put your savings into the speakers which are the most important part in determining the sound quality you will get.

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
Which brand of monoblocks?
Thank you. In my one room I have Bowers and Wilkins 702S3 floor speakers and an Anthem Str stereo dual mono block amplifier, but I'm creating another theater room and that's where I'm considering going upscale to the monoblocks. I don't have a particular brand in mind that's why I'm researching and gaining more knowledge about these. Thanks again!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your STR is a two channel amp from what I see. Do you have the power amp or the integrated amp STR?

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
Your STR is a two channel amp from what I see. Do you have the power amp or the integrated amp STR?
The power amp. According to the description from Anthem, Crutchfield, and also Gene's reviews, it says they are 2 discreet power modules in one chassis which they call a dual mono design.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The power amp. According to the description from Anthem, Crutchfield, and also Gene's reviews, it says they are 2 discreet power modules in one chassis which they call a dual mono design.
Yes, I saw it had separate power supplies but share the box, a pair of monoblocks would be one amp in one box, the other in another box. Your STR is a very capable amp, and can't see any value to bridging it either.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you. In my one room I have Bowers and Wilkins 702S3 floor speakers and an Anthem Str stereo dual mono block amplifier, but I'm creating another theater room and that's where I'm considering going upscale to the monoblocks. I don't have a particular brand in mind that's why I'm researching and gaining more knowledge about these. Thanks again!
Curious what kind of budget are we taking about? Buckeye 950W Monoblock ($895), AGD Duet ($11,500 per pair) or Dagostino crazy level?

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
Yes, I saw it had separate power supplies but share the box, a pair of monoblocks would be one amp in one box, the other in another box. Your STR is a very capable amp, and can't see any value to bridging it either.
Okay so I guess that's also confusing to me. companies like Macintosh that show a "dual monoblock" amplifier [model 901, 501] in one chassis, is that not actually true monoblocks? they're the only company I really had in mind, as I'm not familiar with the other ones right now sorry

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay so I guess that's also confusing to me. companies like Macintosh that show a "dual monoblock" amplifier [model 901, 501] in one chassis, is that not actually true monoblocks? they're the only company I really had in mind, as I'm not familiar with the other ones right now sorry
Marketing I suppose. That McIntosh MC901 is pretty silly IMO but then I have no desire to deal with tube amps. An amp designer by name of Douglas Self once wrote:
"There is no need to go to the expense of monobloc power amplifiers in order to keep crosstalk under control even when making it substantially better than the -20dB that is actually necessary. The techniques are conventional; the last stereo power amplifier I designed managed an easy -90dB at 10kHz without anything other than the usual precautions in this area. Dedicated followers of fashion pay dearly for the privilege as the cost of the mechanical parts will be nearly doubled."

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
Marketing I suppose. That McIntosh MC901 is pretty silly IMO but then I have no desire to deal with tube amps. An amp designer by name of Douglas Self once wrote:
"There is no need to go to the expense of monobloc power amplifiers in order to keep crosstalk under control even when making it substantially better than the -20dB that is actually necessary. The techniques are conventional; the last stereo power amplifier I designed managed an easy -90dB at 10kHz without anything other than the usual precautions in this area. Dedicated followers of fashion pay dearly for the privilege as the cost of the mechanical parts will be nearly doubled."
Good point thank you so much! I'm definitely in a "I want but not need" status right now. Lol. Although I know it's overkill, it kind of bothers me that my speakers are biampable and I don't have them biamped [heard good and unnecessary on this], but I guess I want more than enough!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good point thank you so much! I'm definitely in a "I want but not need" status right now. Lol. Although I know it's overkill, it kind of bothers me that my speakers are biampable and I don't have them biamped [heard good and unnecessary on this], but I guess I want more than enough!
Passive bi-amping I tend to think of as a waste of an amp as well as wire, just more marketing. Your amp is plenty powerful enough already. Active bi-amping otoh can be useful, but more for when you design your own speakers.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
What's your monoblock amps?
I have a pair of Rotel RB 1070 The two channels of the RB-1070 can be "bridged". In this configuration the single
channel produces a massive 330 watts!

A pair of vintage Marantz MA 6100 Producing around 130 watts at 8 ohms https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/marantz/ma6100.shtml

A pair of Cyrus Mono X amps https://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/mono-x/

It really all comes down to speaker designs and loads. I've not talking bog standard run of the mill $2000 to $5000 speaker designs
Years ago I was running Equinox Jupiter speakers rated at 2 ohms. Even there 4 ohm designs where hard to drive
E

Last edited:
P

philly

Junior Audioholic
Passive bi-amping I tend to think of as a waste of an amp as well as wire, just more marketing. Your amp is plenty powerful enough already. Active bi-amping otoh can be useful, but more for when you design your own speakers.
Sorry but what exactly is the difference between passive and active biamping? I know biwiring is useless, but I have enough assignable channels on my pre/pro to biamp my fronts and Center

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis