Monoblock amplifiers

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
It was a defining audio milestone for me, when I realized just how immune to specific 'neutral' amp type/tricks all of my neutral speakers and good recordings actually are. They essentially have the capability to be audibly flawless depending almost entirely on recording quality, once all the known standard basics are implemented.

Even one of the recent $100 budget class D amps makes them shine.

J

JorisU

Audiophyte
I also have noticed that modern budget amps can surprise you with their performance.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I wonder if there are any class D amps that use linear power supplies for that reason? It seems logical to use a switching power supply with a class D amp that uses pulse width modulation. That would yield very good efficiency, but as you mentioned, switching supplies have their limits and some of these monoblocks have very big current demands.

Some of these start to get into the audio bling territory though. The AGD amps are works of art but at least they have specs to match.
I think ATI Class D use linear power supplies.

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
Regarding dual mono block designed amps. I have order this one from apollon https://apollonaudio.com/product/purifi-1et9040ba-eigentakt-dual-mono-premium-amplifier-apollon-pet1200-dm/

It presents all the internal quality of two separate monoblocks but puts them in a single case. I chose the dual mono strictly because it would fit in my open rack whereas the two monos would be too wide side by side.

Others buyers into really “stretched” audiophile logic use separate mono blocks to sit on top of each driven speaker to reduce “unnecessary resistance” derived from longer speaker wires. Using instead longer XLR interconnects. I am sure some instrument could measure that but not my ears.
I like the specs of this amp. honest opinion guys... do you think it's worth me returning my Anthem Str, which is still within the return period, And getting the Apollon 9040? Esp., due to it being class D??

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I like the specs of this amp. honest opinion guys... do you think it's worth me returning my Anthem Str, which is still within the return period, And getting the Apollon 9040? Esp., due to it being class D??
Yes. No other amp has these beach measurements—none. Of course you realize I just ordered these to replace my Hypex Ncore NC1200 monoblocks. Builds take about a month. A cheaper build (but same specs) is also available from March Audio from Australia. I ordered one to drive my center channel speaker.

Last edited:
P

philly

Junior Audioholic
Yes. No other amp has these beach measurements—none. Of course you realize I just ordered these to replace my Hypex Ncore NC1200 monoblocks. Builds take about a month. A cheaper build (but same specs) is also available from March Audio from Australia. I ordered one to drive my center channel speaker.

Ok thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You have an excellent amp now....why would you change for another?

J

JorisU

Audiophyte

I've heard that March Audio offers great solutions. How do you compare their amplifiers with other brands, such as those offered in the higher price segment?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I've heard that March Audio offers great solutions. How do you compare their amplifiers with other brands, such as those offered in the higher price segment?
Specs are specs. They recently extended their warranties to 5 years. Apollon has a reputation for high quality builds over on Audio Science Review. But, I know I could not hear the difference.

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
You have an excellent amp now....why would you change for another?
Good point I was kind of leaning in that direction myself. thanks for talking me off the ledge! you know this hobby, it's a relentless pursuit of perfection, there's always some other candy out there we want. but I need to be content as well and just enjoy...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good point I was kind of leaning in that direction myself. thanks for talking me off the ledge! you know this hobby, it's a relentless pursuit of perfection, there's always some other candy out there we want. but I need to be content as well and just enjoy...
Only thing I could think of is perhaps you wanted to save some money on the amp, the ones being discussed are all quite good, so I'd pick on power myself (and I'd consider your current amp powerful enough for any speakers). Amps are not an area for improvements generally, nor electronics in general....speakers/subs and your room are where the gains are much more tangible....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis