Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
Whoa, that's a heck of a system you've got going on Mike....awesome!

majorloser

majorloser

....but I'm still trying to find the best location because at its current location, there's a dip at 25hz.
That dip at 25 hz is due to the fault line of the Philippine Plate that runs under your house absorbing the shock wave.

The next tsunami will because you decided to do a low frequency sweep :eek:

Some poor guy in Singapore is feeling your elusive chest thump!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
That dip at 25 hz is due to the fault line of the Philippine Plate that runs under your house absorbing the shock wave.

The next tsunami will because you decided to do a low frequency sweep :eek:

Some poor guy in Singapore is feeling your elusive chest thump!
haha, yeah I tried boosting 25 hz with three EQ's ... nothing was happening to the graph but the door was flapping like crazy.

how far is Florida? :eek:

kidding aside, I've moved the DD18 to a new location where there is no dip.

i'm close to concluding that a flat response (and all channels equal) might not be what I want.

annunaki

annunaki

Mike,

So you are running the DLS 15's from 50hz to 100hz and the DD18 from 50hz and down? If I were you I would try the 15's from 35hz-40hz up to 100hz and the DD18 from 35hz-40hz and down. With just 12db/oct. crossovers you will have a bit of overlap between the two which could result in a slight bump around your crossover point.

You have found a better spot for the DD18 for your 25hz dip, how is the response below that?

Have you been able to improve the response from 60hz-100hz for your elusive chest thump?

Have you measured the response from 60hz -200hz at the listening position to see if you have a dip anywhere in that range? That should be your chest thumping range.

annunaki

annunaki

i'm close to concluding that a flat response (and all channels equal) might not be what I want.
Once you have achieved flat response, you can boost or tweak from there as you have a reference plane. When one has a flat reference to go off of your tweaking will be realized much easier.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Mike,

So you are running the DLS 15's from 50hz to 100hz and the DD18 from 50hz and down? If I were you I would try the 15's from 35hz-40hz up to 100hz and the DD18 from 35hz-40hz and down. With just 12db/oct. crossovers you will have a bit of overlap between the two which could result in a slight bump around your crossover point.

You have found a better spot for the DD18 for your 25hz dip, how is the response below that?

Have you been able to improve the response from 60hz-100hz for your elusive chest thump?

Have you measured the response from 60hz -200hz at the listening position to see if you have a dip anywhere in that range? That should be your chest thumping range.
the 15's are doing 30hz up to 80hz ... the only way i can get them to play as high as 100hz is either, setting 100hz crossover for all channels or setting mains as large and then LFE= LFE+MAIN.

the dd18 is doing 65hz down (to correct a 60+hz dip) but i have most of the overlapping boosted freqs. cut on the DD18

below 25hz, i'm now flat to 15hz.

i have flat from 60-100hz, but 125hz up may be sloping down ... I tried a manual EQ boost for the receiver but it's either not helping or the sms-1 simply can't measure accurately that high.

Once you have achieved flat response, you can boost or tweak from there as you have a reference plane. When one has a flat reference to go off of your tweaking will be realized much easier.
ok, but i still need to know the exact freq. for chest thumping. sometimes a 35hz boost can give a chest thump for a particular song, but none on another.

do you believe in what some people are saying that low freqs. must be produced far from you to be "realized" by you? (something about long sound waves) and that you can't place the low freq. sub nearfield.

annunaki

annunaki

the 15's are doing 30hz up to 80hz ... the only way i can get them to play as high as 100hz is either, setting 100hz crossover for all channels or setting mains as large and then LFE= LFE+MAIN.

the dd18 is doing 65hz down (to correct a 60+hz dip) but i have most of the overlapping boosted freqs. cut on the DD18

below 25hz, i'm now flat to 15hz.

i have flat from 60-100hz, but 125hz up may be sloping down ... I tried a manual EQ boost for the receiver but it's either not helping or the sms-1 simply can't measure accurately that high.

ok, but i still need to know the exact freq. for chest thumping. sometimes a 35hz boost can give a chest thump for a particular song, but none on another.

do you believe in what some people are saying that low freqs. must be produced far from you to be "realized" by you? (something about long sound waves) and that you can't place the low freq. sub nearfield.

No, that should not matter (distance) too much. The only waves that would likely mature in your room would be above 80hz or so. I would boost the 50hz-150 hz range slightly with your peak centered near 80hz. Again once you achieve a flat even response in the room you can contour the response to your liking. Will you be using your new 18" subs from say 50hz and down and using the others ina midbass configuration?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice stuff there Mike... you got some great products there...

I assume your still shooting for the eD subs... if I remember correctly...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
annunaki, warpdrv,

im gonna be using the two new 18's as full range ... and then moving out the two 15's to the other theater ...

ill wait til i measure the new 18's before I decide what to do with the frequency management

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
...m gonna be using the two new 18's as full range ...
Hi Mike,

thanks God the baby is wearing an ears muff rather than a headphone:D

Matter of fact, he's not guilty for his father's "weakness" of being a truly "bass dependant":D:):rolleyes:

Nice avatar, BTW! How's life going of after the "I do"??

Regards, Chuck

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks God the baby is wearing an ears muff rather than a headphone:D

umm, he's listening to test tones through those headphones ... that's why his face is like that ... I'm forcing him to learn them. one day when he grows up, he will be able to distinguish between 10 and 11hz by ear. :D :rolleyes:

Matter of fact, he's not guilty for his father's "weakness" of being a truly "bass dependant":D:):rolleyes:

let's hope so ... the only inheritance he's going to get are my audio stuff :eek:

Nice avatar, BTW! How's life going of after the "I do"??

life after the "I do" is great (and much more fun) than life after the "waaah waaah" -> it's not fun, but it's not bad either. most parents I ask: "so, will we ever get our life back?" the response was: "no, but it'll be worth it"

Regards, Chuck

what about you, what's new?

Last edited by a moderator:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
my new Toshiba HD DVD A35 player with two free movies (300 and Bourne Identity)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Mike,

You should be the poster child for Audioholics!!!!!:D

somebody get a doctor!

SBF1

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Holy cow Mike,

is there a Black Friday also in the Phillipines??
What's gonna be your next toy for X'mas, BTW??

Oh, I know, you're just trying to accomplish your dad's duties the best way though, so the new born baby will be only watching HD movies from now on:):p... with a chest-punching bass though:D Poor baby..:p:eek:

Regards, Chuck

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Holy cow Mike,

is there a Black Friday also in the Phillipines??
What's gonna be your next toy for X'mas, BTW??

Oh, I know, you're just trying to accomplish your dad's duties the best way though, so the new born baby will be only watching HD movies from now on:):p... with a chest-punching bass though:D Poor baby..:p:eek:

Regards, Chuck
no, I ordered that more than a month ago ... too bad, the player's a little bit cheaper with 3 more movies than I got right now. (my sis in law doesn't have the purchase invoice so I can't mail in the 5 more free movies) :(

nothing for Christmas, i'm pretty much dried out financially ... i'll start again January. (except for Ratatouille and Spiderman Trilogy BD)

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Mike, you are unbelievable. That pic of your son (I'm assuming) on top of your sub is my new wallpaper for my PC.
That's how awesome you are.
Truly.

btw, kudos on your new purchases; your rig looks (and sounds I bet) completely ridiculous...in a good way :D:D:D:D:D.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis