Mike C's dedicated HT #1

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
flood damage. guess what. progress is -50%. (yes that's a negative progress) everything is going to be torn down so the slab can be re-poured.

looks like war of the worlds to me :)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Ouch!!! Guess its better that it flooded before the project was done than after when all your gear was down there.

How'd all that water get in? When is the projects new finish date?

It was looking amazing!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
ouch indeed. good thing we aren't moving in yet. the target date for the house is supposed to be June. but as with all projects done by the people here, new estimate date of finish for the house is December :)

water came in through the floor. water was what cracked the floor upward; incredible pressure because this was in the basement, the contractor took the water pump that was supposed to pump water out of the sump tank, the sump tank filled up, forcing the floor to split open.

can you imagine floating speakers?! if that happened, I could strangle somebody.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, sorry Mike. That's pretty ugly.

We've had contractor and basement water problems. I had to take my guy to the Oregon Contractors Board who forced him to do about $20k worth of repair work. PITA!

Yeah, take solace that your equipment was unharmed.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Sorry to hear that. Can make moving in and getting the loan approved a real pain until things are corrected.

Well, at least you can change some things if you decide to.

Good luck and keep us posted.

signed,
flood country magnet

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
Oh yeah that hurts. Is that because of the recent storm there. There is a lot of places there in Manila that gets flooded right away even its just a little bit of moonsoon rain.
Imagine that with your new SVS subwoofer.... it will become SVS submarinewoofer

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah, it's been so long since there was rain, that the contractor did not expect the storms to fill up the sump tanks. there was actually no flood outside the house, all this is from the fact that the parking area is -1.3 meters from the street level, and the home theater is -3.8 meters down.

at least our contractor gave a verbal promise to fix everything up.

majorloser

majorloser

Sucks about the flood. It's definitely a good thing it happened so early in the construction. Now at least you know what happens if it floods, what it takes to prevent it from happening again and what the drainage conditions are like.

The main thing now is to get ALL of the materials out that got wet. Don't want mildew getting a hold in the insulation or behind the moisture barriers :mad:

majorloser

majorloser

For one, it can make you sick.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HE633

Now that's funny. The article came from the University of Florida. Ain't nobody can grow mildew as good as Florida :)

Mike, mildew and mold can cause severe respiratory problems. It may take awhile for the problem to really show, but for people who have allergies and can be very uncomfortable to say the least. There are paints (like Kilz) that can be used as primers to help prevent the spread.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks guys. i guess being in a tropical country, it's as humid here as anywhere.

i told the contractor to replace everything.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
thanks I will, what does mildew do btw?
Makes some people sick. Makes some people real sick. Makes some people dead. While you have the walls open, spray a strong bleach solution on all the exposed sheetrock and studs before putting it all back together. Give it a time to dry out well too once all the wet insulation has been pulled.

P.S. I was not kidding about that last part. Some people have weird allergic reactions to some forms of mold.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
finally some progress: first time in the history of building that the progress meter is reversed.

I've always wondered why they covered up all the fiberglass with the plywood, I never saw the upholstered wall panels before they floated in the flood. So I thought those were supposed to be low bass traps ... I was wrong ... because I didn't see this step:

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Wow Mike it is really looking good. I'm sure you are now getting to the point where you just want it to be done. That is going to be one amazing theater.:D:D:D

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
this HT is only gonna get two PB12 Pluses. you can wait for dedicated HT#2 for my other subs. :)

contractor promises work to be done in 50 days (room acoustics, wall panels and stuff)
Mike,

Just looking back on this thread, I bet you would have never guessed it would be taking this long.

So how did this flood occur? Excessive rain, or are you below sea level? Does it happen a lot in Manila? How much did you get?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis