Might be evacuating soon

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The top of Dead Mountain by direct line is about 4-5 miles from my house? The Kwis fire at its closest edge was more like 3-4 miles away....
Wow, talk about living in God's country.

My friend in Kamloops, BC, had fires on three sides and was ready to evacuate but I think they got a little reprieve recently.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Fire season is a heart attack and a seizure wrapped up in a slow bout of severe pneumonia.

Every minute is a stressful one, and it lingers for a month or two: you are literally expecting the next moment to either be your last or pretty d@mn close to it. And you can't fcuking breathe.
When we evac'd in 2019, we still came back home... I would wake up every other hour out of some bizarre insomniatic obsession to go out and see if the smoke was more intense or if I could see an orange glow.
Since it was like 70º nights, i didn't even bother getting dressed at 11... 1... 3... ... And every morning we would drive to the nearest town that wasn't evac'd and hang out at this restaurant and bakery from breakfast through lunch, charging our phones, reading news, eating.
It was the glamping version of a faux evac without power due to the PG&E PSPS which lasted for a week.

F all our lives, here, on the west side of Insanity St @ Anxiety Rd.
#21st century problems / #west county problems

:rolleyes: :confused: :(

Grateful that I still have a home and amazing speakers to listen to.
First responders are the sh!t.
I <3 CalFire

And Fcuk every Fcuk-tard that doesn't think Fcuking climate change is a problem.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

My friend in Kamloops, BC, had fires on three sides and was ready to evacuate but I think they got a little reprieve recently.
Well I don't know about this imaginary god thing but the views are like that in pretty much every direction (except when the small bits of town are visible). BC has a lot of fires, too. Did you see about the huge Siberian fires dwarfing all the others?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@ryanosaur the camera angle in the last capture I posted wasn't the one they used much of the time for the Kwis fire, but you can see some of the activity at night better in this one from the same angle.
kwis 1130 0821.jpg

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
AQI not fraudioquest. :)

I remember a Show Low fire that was set by a fireman..... All the forest fires in this round was from dry lightning strikes. Altho we had two fires pop up in town on the 15th and 18th, one from what appears to be a homeless camper out by the gravel pit and the other still waiting word on, but not likely homeless, just an idiot.

We're smoke free today and the weather has been cooler the last few days. Altho the local fire (Kwis) is just in mop-up stage, we have a fairly large one fairly nearby (Gales/NineMile) that will provide smoky conditions with the right air movement.
I was referring to forest fires in general but in California, some near the Dixie fire were set by a college professor.

Right- the Show Low fire was set by a firefighter and the Chedesky was set by a hiker who had hurt her ankle and saw a plane flying overhead, so she thought she would get their attention. I think it worked.

Good to see it's closer to being under control- hope it improves.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Well I don't know about this imaginary god thing but the views are like that in pretty much every direction (except when the small bits of town are visible). BC has a lot of fires, too. Did you see about the huge Siberian fires dwarfing all the others?
It's a figure of speech. ;) Not religious myself FWIW.

Not until recently but the images from space are incredible.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was referring to forest fires in general but in California, some near the Dixie fire were set by a college professor.

Right- the Show Low fire was set by a firefighter and the Chedesky was set by a hiker who had hurt her ankle and saw a plane flying overhead, so she thought she would get their attention. I think it worked.

God to see it's closer to being under control- hope it improves.
Hadn't seen that about the Dixie fires, the hiker story sounds familiar now. The remaining major fire is a worry still if the right conditions come up and they've expanded the closure area so they can build containment lines (and was planning on using one of those roads today to access a trail they hadn't fully closed yet....at least I only saw that the road was closed, possible now they've closed off trail access as well (Alpine Trail)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General

Our Family Cabin is located at Paul Lake about 9 miles from Kamloops. I went there in June for a couple weeks to work on a boat, and get the place ready for Summer. The plan was to spend almost all but a couple weeks of the summer there. I haven't been back because of Covid restrictions, and then the smoke from the wildfires was so thick you had trouble breathing, according to the neighbor who lives there year round. He said often the smoke has been so thick you can't see much across the lake.

I just stumbled across this video from a couple of days ago. Shows some of the fire damaged areas and even a view of Paul Lake from 9,000 Feet at 20:36.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
She's just south of Kamloops and was on evacuation notice. This was on Aug.15
Kamloops_fires_n.jpg

She's an avid cyclist and very outdoorsy. Has spent many days locked indoors due to the air quality. This image from Grindrod was typical of the area. Fortunately the skies cleared up on the 18th after some rain.
Ginrod_Fire_n.jpg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My buddy said the fire made it to his house, but it was reported to him by Calfire that damage was very minimal and it is standing intact. I don't think he's been able to go up there to see it yet.

N

NoPAspeakers4me

Enthusiast
Good luck! Just don't leave it too late. I would imagine driving down a road with flames both sides, would likely provoke incontinence.

If you only have a route out east, you are always welcome here, we have two spare rooms.
I have done this. And then the car stalled from smoke inhalation. Luckily it was just a regular fire on i80, not one of these monsters you have to deal with. Was just out west visiting and we thought it was a sunset. Even the median was on fire. Be safe man.

that kamloops fire is ridiculous. Those fires out west are massive. It’s sad as hell. Be safe everyone. Where I live climate change dried us out and cooled us down. Something we needed both of.

edit: I’m an avid mountain bike, used to race in the late 90s as a junior. Still ride once or twice a week on my giant trance 3. So crappy to see. Be safe. :(

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The skies over here in Vancouver just get a tinge yellow from the smoke and it's a bit unsettling - can't imagine seeing this ominous cloud. Hope your friend is doing well and is safe.
They had some clear skies after it rained but there are still 14 fires of note in the Kamloops are. Crazy summer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You'd have a right to be worried. I can't believe how CA keeps getting hammered and the drought in the mid west is looking pretty bad.
The whole west (of N.America) looks to be having this issue for years to come....even as far east as Minnesota....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Crazy this summer, just wait for future ones....
Years follow but are not necessarily similar. I wouldn't be so pessimistic.

Of course, it's very likely that we will eventually have other summers as bad and possibly worse. We might be gone then.

But I am just upset about the future of my great grandchildren. I have four.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think we are in the "beginnings" of a modern DustBowl with even more epic and dire consequences. As best I can tell, even with some wet Winters around our parts, Norther California has basically been in an extended drought since 2010/11. Even two winters ago when we had a slightly 'wetter' than normal Winter and people were declaring the drought ended... it hadn't.
There's still a lot of play left in this season, here and across the western half of the continent.
*fingers crossed
Safety and protection to us all!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis