MAXIMIZING THE USEFULNESS OF A HOME THEATER WITH 2 CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I also think it creates a noticeable difference (an improvement) in the listening experience when the FL/FR are in the corners of the room; when I am using the center speakers as a "dual center" in a 3.1 or higher speaker configuration.

My experience is based off of using this setup/design with a TV that has a screen size between 40 and 55 inches, but I'm sure the same benefits can be experienced with a larger screen.
Great. You have an experience that you like. Keep using this setup and enjoy it. End of story.

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
Great. You have an experience that you like. Keep using this setup and enjoy it. End of story.

I'm disappointed.

After all the time and effort you "select few" (any you know who you are) have put into attacking and antagonizing the OP; I can't believe you're going to allow "mtrycrafts" to put and "end" to this discussion.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm disappointed.

After all the time and effort you "select few" (any you know who you are) have put into attacking and antagonizing the OP; I can't believe you're going to allow "mtrycrafts" to put and "end" to this discussion.
Lol. He’s actually not. He’s waiting for you to deliver on my very polite request for you to put into words how the experience is better. I’m beginning to think you didn’t enjoy our nice dialogue the other day...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No kidding. You're being very polite and he is ignoring your request. I'm disappointed.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I did some MAXIMIZING myself, I must say.

upload_2017-10-20_13-16-2.jpeg

What I did was to leave the mid-range slightly laid back to get the most out of this round-eye driver. Powering this was a corn ciabatta, but I'll admit I was heavy on fresh ground pepper and chili flakes.

This had an even, flat response from the first bite to the last. I could walk with this all over the house and the flavor would stay the same.

A true high res / high def / high fi experience.

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic

View attachment 22698

What I did was to leave the mid-range slightly laid back to get the most out of this round-eye driver. Powering this was a corn ciabatta, but I'll admit I was heavy on fresh ground pepper and chili flakes.

This had an even, flat response from the first bite to the last. I could walk with this all over the house and the flavor would stay the same.

You carnivore, you! Did you use an oxygen-free copper pan? Because that will get you the best taste;)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
You carnivore, you! Did you use an oxygen-free copper pan? Because that will get you the best taste;)
Completely OFC. Even more important, can you see how even the pink noise is?

And now you get all those carniphiles telling you you have to go to a 3 Michelin stars joint to get a proper cut?!?! To them I say DIY, my brother, DIY.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

View attachment 22698

Did you try 2 of them at the same time? You can really maximize the usefulness of your plate that way.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I'm disappointed.
You put little into it...

gs0hee9.jpg

You're ending this conversation/thread, maybe if you put in some effort you'll get some results. Continuing to ask people for input and ignoring others who are trying, yields disappointment, every time.

troll.JPG

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
Another option afforded by the design is a 4.0 or 4.1 speaker configuration (FL/FR/SL/SR/SUB) that allows a user to alternate which speakers are being used as FL&FR (speakers under the screen or speakers at front corners). If you choose the speakers under the screen, then you have the "soundbar" option. If you choose the speakers in the corners, then you have your "phantom" center option. As a reminder, you switch between the two options mentioned above by using the Speaker A/B function.

I reread the thread and picked out the posts which I think make valid points. If you read them in order, I think it creates a decent "conversation". Someone can read the "conversation" and perhaps better grasp the idea and benefit from it.

Here are the posts: (It may help if you open two windows, 1 for the post #'s, and the 2nd to scroll through the thread)

OP, #17, #20, #22, #24, #27, #31, #33, #36, #44, #60, #76, #81, #92, #104, #136
#139, #141 (this post has a visual aid that helps the reader visualize the speaker placement and layout),
#143, #227, #236, #255, #281, #295, #332

Last edited:
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Ok, giving it a go.

OP - lobing - comb filtering is something you haven't grasped yet, in fact you simply ignore it. Ignoring it doesn't help you win anybody over for this concept.

17 - Simply stating that you like it without giving reasons except "It has too many positive advantages and options to ignore. The design has no negatives or drawbacks." People explained the negatives and the drawbacks, you again, ignored them, post 17 does nothing to win anybody over.

20 - Have you read this post? Here is a brief reminder "Lobing is already a problem with conventional center speaker designs when they orient their drivers on a horizontal plane. Your idea takes that problem and makes it twice as bad for tweeter frequencies and literally four times as bad for woofer frequencies because you are compounding the horizontal drivers." Post 20 only shows people why not to try your method, calling it clever wasn't a win.

22 - You asking questions doesn't sell people on the idea, it's asking questions and then tries to laugh off lobing comb filtering as not holding water for the everyday user. Well, if you don't care about bad sound you are completely right, some people love bad sound. Post 22 does nothing to sell your point.

24 - This post does zero to win people over or help you. As rojo stated "This thread simply describes an epic kludge worthy of inclusion on thereifixedit.com." Maybe you didn't understand?

27 - A rehash of the OP then saying to read the OP....

31 - This post starts with "Its nice that you are taking an interest in improving center speaker sound," and that's where anything positive for you ends. He continues to explain why you're wrong "but you are ignoring a huge body of acoustic science which undermines your idea. Believe it or not, highly-qualified people actually study these things. You are not breaking new ground here, and it is hilariously arrogant of you to dismiss over a century of acoustic science in support of your pet theory." This post does absolutely nothing to help you, literally nothing and calls it hilariously arrogant and you post it as helping you in some meaningful way, maybe I missed it.

DCS0760, I end it there, there are no posts that state your method is a valuable new addition to enveloping ourselves in sound in a new or profound way. Why you point to posts that show how wrong you are is baffling, that you ignore facts and keep posting the same things instead of giving a technical reason why your method would work, simply means you have no idea why but you are so stubborn it has to work. Like making a square wheel and posting how it's superior to round wheels and then you're shocked when people don't agree.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow 'Head, I was just thinking, I'm not going through all of those posts... :p

But of course I had to show. DC, what new are you bringing to the table now? El oh el.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis